OT Christmas trip in London

Old
10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Galchenkel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
OT Christmas trip in London

Need some londonian advices here.

I'll be in London for a week to celebrate Christmas with my family. None of us has ever been there and we intend to book a flat. We will be 6 so it can only be cheaper than hotel.

So the problem is that I don't really know where are the best places to stay. About pricing I think that something around 1500 for the week is a fair rate.

So what do you guys think? In what kind of place can I pretend to stay? Which part of London would be the best for this range of pricing?

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Gwyddbwyll

It's going to depend what you want to do. Are you going to travel around by tube or will you hire a car? As its Xmas week, there may be reduced public transport and reduced hours at attractions. Be careful of trying to save money by staying too far out from the centre. Stay in Zone 1 if you can, to remain within walking distances of the best parts.

With pricing, I dont have much idea about flats. I usually check the following sites:

www.tripadvisor.co.uk
www.laterooms.com

Usually I wait till late, but the rules change over Xmas week, you cant leave that to the last minute as anything unbooked will just shut up and prices continue to go higher.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:32 PM
AlanHUK

if you're missing watching the NHL while you're over here then there is a bar called "the maple leaf" near covent garden Canadian themed and usually has either NHL on the fly or as live games from the previous night.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
if you're missing watching the NHL while you're over here then there is a bar called "the maple leaf" near covent garden Canadian themed and usually has either NHL on the fly or as live games from the previous night.
Terrible bar. Apparently used to be pretty good but sadly indistinguishable from the other crappy bars in the area with little hockey presence unless a critical mass of Canadians comes and demands it.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
AlanHUK

every time i've been in it's had hockey on, usually all it's screens. even when premier league games were on at 4pm local (so 11am eastern) they had hockey on one of the screens from the previous night.

not sure what they did to you when you were there but i've never had a problem with anything there. but hey if you can tell me a better bar to go to in london to watch hockey i'm all for it.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:24 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
every time i've been in it's had hockey on, usually all it's screens. even when premier league games were on at 4pm local (so 11am eastern) they had hockey on one of the screens from the previous night.

not sure what they did to you when you were there but i've never had a problem with anything there. but hey if you can tell me a better bar to go to in london to watch hockey i'm all for it.
I've had multiple experiences in there where they would not turn on hockey.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote