HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sturm to Debut 12/21

Old
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Sturm to Debut 12/21

Apparently Sturm is ready to go and Murray is easing him in with a 4th line role to start. Quotes courtesy of Rich Hammond.
Quote:

Barring any last-minute change of mind or heart, it appears as though Marco Sturm will get in his first NHL game since May 1 (when he suffered a major knee injury) tomorrow when the Kings play Colorado. After today’s practice, in which Sturm skated in a fourth-line role, Sturm said he would talk to coach Terry Murray tomorrow morning regarding the game. “I’ve got to talk to him and see what his plans are,” Sturm said. “We’ll see in the morning.”

Murray hasn’t exactly been ambiguous in terms of his plans. He would like to see Sturm play tomorrow, and is waiting for Sturm to say he’s good to go. Murray said that, on the ice today, Sturm did give him that indication.

MURRAY: “He did tell me, on the ice, that he’s feeling good, and that waiting another week, or two weeks, is not going to make any difference. I said, waiting one day or two days is not going to make a difference. It’s just a decision you have to make as a player, when you’re coming back from an injury, to convince yourself to step up and get yourself going.

“He kind of said he was, in a roundabout way, that he was ready to get in and get going. He kind of caught me off-guard, because when I talked to him a couple days ago, I said, `Let me know before a practice, so I can get you into a situation to get on a line and get your work in the day before.’ Another player that doesn’t listen very well, so… [laughs]”

Sturm acknowledged that his challenge, in terms of getting back to game action, isn’t really about his surgically-repaired knee very much…

STURM: “It’s all in the head, I guess. It’s all mental. As soon as have some games in me, I won’t even think about it. Hopefully have some goals too.”

Murray’s long-term plan remains to have Sturm as his first-line left winger, alongside Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown, but Murray said Sturm will likely start out on the fourth line, with Brad Richardson filling that first-line spot for now.

MURRAY: “I know I talked about, before, putting (Sturm) up there with Kopi, but what I see, over the last couple days of practice, is that there’s still a little bit of reluctance to get in there and do what needs to be done in order to play on a line like that. So I think it’s the same scenario I had with Pavel Bure in Florida (after knee surgery). It was, `I don’t have a lot of high expectations in this game. Let’s just get started.’ I said, `I’ll give you six minutes of ice time here tomorrow night.’ It was right on the second, six minutes. But that’s what I would do with Marco now, after talking with him for several days, several different times. I think it’s just a matter of getting in, getting some shifts in and getting back into the game and getting a little flow in there, so that you’re preparing yourself to move up.”

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 04:42 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

TSN is saying Moller is sent down. I assume this is why.

Like Richardson on the top line btw. He has some good offensive instincts, hopefully they can come to the forefront soon.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
What is the over/under for the lines staying the same tomorrow? 5 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond
Sturm is likely to skate with Trevor Lewis and Alexei Ponikarovsky, but that will be determined tomorrow.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What is the over/under for the lines staying the same tomorrow? 5 minutes?
45 seconds into the game.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

I'm hoping this works out. We need some scoring.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Poni-Lewis-Sturm is the best 4th line in the league

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Also the most expensive

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 09:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
I'm hoping this works out. We need some scoring.
If Sturm has a great game will Lombardi come downstairs with the Dan Cloutier-like premature contract extension?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Might also be the most expensive (7.5 million).

EDIT: beat to it, good job scramble91

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Well if we keep our coach next season which I see us doing baring another 1 and done in the playoffs then we should see some serious upgrades this deadline or off season.

With VV Hickey Muzzin Schenn Moller and Loktionov all either very NHL ready or seriously knocking on the door by next year we have plenty of assets and nowhere near enough room for them all. With any luck we can move Moller before we lose him and Loktionov can be kept on the farm one more year if needed. Same could be said for Muzzin as well but Hickey and VV really should be getting their call ups next season if not sooner so that they can begin their transition into the NHL.

Both are ready enough for that aspect of their development or will definitely be ny the start of next season. If we don't do something soon we are going to start losing these guys for very little if anything at all besides other picks and that would be a terrible situation and an pretty bad message to send to our entire farm system.

It is going to be an interesting deadline and offseason.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:45 AM
AStammer7*

We Are Not Going To Lose Youngsters!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Well if we keep our coach next season which I see us doing baring another 1 and done in the playoffs then we should see some serious upgrades this deadline or off season.

With VV Hickey Muzzin Schenn Moller and Loktionov all either very NHL ready or seriously knocking on the door by next year we have plenty of assets and nowhere near enough room for them all. With any luck we can move Moller before we lose him and Loktionov can be kept on the farm one more year if needed. Same could be said for Muzzin as well but Hickey and VV really should be getting their call ups next season if not sooner so that they can begin their transition into the NHL.

Both are ready enough for that aspect of their development or will definitely be ny the start of next season. If we don't do something soon we are going to start losing these guys for very little if anything at all besides other picks and that would be a terrible situation and an pretty bad message to send to our entire farm system.

It is going to be an interesting deadline and offseason.
Stop all the gloom and doom,we(the Kings) are not going to trade(lose) the likes of Moller,Loktionov,Schenn,Hickey,Voynov,Teubert,Muzz in...they are the future Kings of LA...watch for some vets to be moved or let go via UFA...with the likes of Doughty,Johnson,Simmonds signing big fat contracts the Kings will need a lot of players making sub-millions to balance the "budget". Besides there isn't much difference between vets and youngsters level of skill and talent...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:40 AM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
Stop all the gloom and doom,we(the Kings) are not going to trade(lose) the likes of Moller,Loktionov,Schenn,Hickey,Voynov,Teubert,Muzz in...they are the future Kings of LA...watch for some vets to be moved or let go via UFA...with the likes of Doughty,Johnson,Simmonds signing big fat contracts the Kings will need a lot of players making sub-millions to balance the "budget". Besides there isn't much difference between vets and youngsters level of skill and talent...
I would say there is a high probability that 2 of our youngsters get dealt in some sort of package. If JJ and DD are signed long term, it means we are set on D for the next 2-3 years. The kings could lose 2 of our D prospects and still be strong with 3-4 more waiting in the wings (Muzzin, Hickey, VV, Martinez, Forbort, Tuebert). Our top 6 Forward Prospect depth is not as deep, which is why i think some of our D prospects will be moved.

Either way, its a win-win for kings fans. DL has the kings dealing from a position of strength, its just a matter of who and when.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:48 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Even with limited minutes, it will be good for him.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:24 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If Sturm has a great game will Lombardi come downstairs with the Dan Cloutier-like premature contract extension?
I think Lombardi learnt his lesson with that one, Modin had a great playoffs and end of the year for us but didn't get that extension lol

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
What in the wide wide world of sports are you talking about? Doom and gloom? How so?

Yes, we will likely have to move or lose 1 or more of our kids and that says and does a couple of things that are very good in my opinion. First if we are so well positioned throughout our team that we simply don't have the space to bring up all of the talent that we develop *and* that talent is NHL worthy then we are kicking butt at acquiring our prospects. Secondly it says that we have the assets needed to truly improve our team if and or when we feel it necessary to do so.

We also have let NHL caliber talent walk for nothing during DL's regime so yes, it is likely to happen again. I am hoping we don't let it happen in the case of Moller and a few other talented young players but it does happen so that is where I base my concern.

Not being doom and gloomy, just saying that I would rather if we are going to have to do something with our prospect depth other than bring them onto our own team deal them to acquire better players than Sturm and that we aren't locked into any one player as a result of this.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
yeah... it's the other three lines tht I'm concerned with...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
yeah... it's the other three lines tht I'm concerned with...
The top line is the only line that concerns me. We have all seen the damage the 2nd line can do, the 3rd line will do its job, this 4th line is sick.

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
What in the wide wide world of sports are you talking about?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:50 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Nick Nickson was on NHL Live and didn't seem so positive about Sturm playing tonight.....

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 420
Marco may be a little rusty as he hasn't played a game for months.

Many Bruin's fans are hoping he plays well for you guys. Sturmy was very well liked in Boston by teammates and fans.

Good Luck !

12-21-2010, 06:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the doom and gloom statement. God I still love that movie.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Marco may be a little rusty as he hasn't played a game for months.

Many Bruin's fans are hoping he plays well for you guys. Sturmy was very well liked in Boston by teammates and fans.

Good Luck !
Indeed we do wish him the best in LA. Breaks my heart that he's gone, and I will be watching a lot of Kings games in the future.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Sturm und Drang

I hadn't seen much of the Kings this year, but I tuned in tonight to see Sturm's debut. I imagine I caught them at their best, but they look like a really fun team to watch - good puck possession and cycling, defensemen active in the attack, solid physicality, and plenty of offensive creativity. Kopitar put on a one man clinic in ways of taking the puck to the net effectively (power move on the backhand, forehand shot between the legs while cutting right, etc.).

I was happy to see Sturm skating well, and taking and dishing out some contact. As the game went on, he looked like he was well on his way to being back to his old self. I saw him get to the front of the net on the rush for a couple chances, which was part of his bread-and-butter in Boston.

I hope he finds a role in LA and can be effective for you. Between my interest in Sturm and the entertainment value, I think the Kings may find a regular spot on my Center Ice rotation.

Sturm und Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:12 AM
BREWINZ

I hope Sturm does really well for you guys. Boston will (does) miss his speed. The Kings are my second favorite team and I'm glad he went to a good place. Go Kings!

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Tonight vs Colorado was Sturm's "get his feet wet" game -- I must say he made a very promising appearance in limited ice time when you consider all the circumstances of being out with a knee injury for 7 months as well as the upheaval of changing teams and conferences.

I really liked his skating and his on-ice decisions in this first game tonight. I've always had a lot of respect for Sturm's game and believe me, very pleased to have him here. Go Marco & Go Kings

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote