On the train out. I have never witnessed a lamer 11 Player shootout. Youth hockey players are better. The Rangers had the puck the entire game. No way Tampa deserved anything from this game.
This is what I was telling my buddy who is a die hard Bolts fan. Of course he is wearing the goggles, but his team was pinned in their zone for like 15 of the 20 minutes every period and if not for two gift goals by the Rangers (sigh) they dominate and win this game 3-1. Now Lecavliers goal was legit and well deserved those other two... yeah Ranger gifts.
I thought the rangers played really well especially without Gaborik and Callahan. Tampa has a lot of skilled players. Brutal turnover by Rozy. Zuccarello played well hopefully they call him back up before the next game. He should be the 2nd line rw until Cally comes back.
Just got home from the game and a few observations.
1) No one should be THAT dissapointed in this loss. Rangers dominated nearly the entire game against a certain playoff team and current division leader.
2) Girardi, as much as I love him, needs to be much more careful with his passes coming out of his zone. He seems to throw the puck up the middle of the ice to often and somewhat carelessly.
3) Stepan, damn what a kid. Honestly he seems to be much more "clutch" than Drury anymore. So excited for his future
4) Really happy with the way Zuccarello played and they way torts handled him. Didn't hold back whatsoever, had him on, imo the top line, gave him pp, ot and shootout time, cant argue with that. And he handled it well, didn't seem nervous WHATSOEVER.
5) Rangers were terrible after their top 3 in the SO, however, Lundqvist really needs to stop one of those first two. Neither player put on a move, they just ripped it right by him. Seems like Lundqvist is much more comfortable when a player dekes rather than just flat out shoots.
6) Another great game from Staal.
7) Frolov AND Drury are skating in mud, although Frolov continues to look better each game.
8) Garden was packed, two days before christmas and the crowd was really into it. Excited to see.
I truly hope MZA sticks around because if he does, i think he may very well make the team full time next season.
Too many players bolt because of low AHL salaries. Hopefully the progress he has made (perhaps the rangers told Heikkinen he was not in their plans) will inspire him to become the best player he can be, in the best league in the world.
NEW YORK – Henrik Lundqvist was going strong. Eight consecutive shooters had been stopped by the star Rangers netminder as Tampa Bay (20-10-5) battled the Rangers through one of the longest shootouts in league history.
But then Ryan Malone sent the puck off the crossbar, and back down onto the ice, where it went just past the goal line. After a delayed reaction by Malone and the Lightning bench, they finally started celebrating their win; delayed by a Derek Stepan equalizer with 8:42 left in the third period, and an 11-round shootout that was the sixth longest in NHL history.
“I just want to win [the shootout],” said Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, who stopped eight of the 11 shootout attempts after saving 21 shots in regulation and overtime. “It’s fun when you stop them, but it’s definitely not fun when you let them in. Very frustrating today; you play a big part as a goalie. When you lose, you take it personally.”
i was watching this game with a bunch of people and after the first three shooters i was like "torts how have you not sent out staal yet!" and i just kept yelling about how staal should be shooting when gilroy and rozy shot. then staal went out there and well, i looked like an idiot
I was at the game, very impressed with the team. Anisimov rocked it and Zuccs greatly surpassed my expectations on how he was going to play tonight. But....the shootout was wild
Why didnt anyone just shoot on Ellis?
And where was Avery and Feds? Not that I agree or disagree with the selections, not really sure what I think. But I feel like it has to raise some questions on how Torts treats who gets to shoot or not wanting Avery or Feds to go for a specific reason.