HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Which semifinal game for winner of pools?

Old
12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
HeavierThanAir

vCash: 500
Which semifinal game for winner of pools?

I hope I'm not asking a na´ve (or already answered) question, but I've searched high and low for the answer and I can't find it anywhere.

The question is simple: if Canada wins their pool and gets a bye to the semifinal, in which semifinal game will they play? The 3:30pm game or the 7:30pm game? It was quite simple to find the appropriate game in previous years -- the schedule would say A1 versus winner of B2/A3, for instance -- but this year it seems a bit obscured.

I'm asking because I'm a risk-taker. I'm going to be in Buffalo and I plan to assume Canada will win their pool and will get the bye. Makes the tournament a bit more exciting when you've gambled on a ticket, eh?

Thanks in advance!

HeavierThanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
bruinsfan46

http://www.iihf.com/channels1011/wm20/schedule.html

Quote:
Semi-finals

Mon, Jan. 3

15:30

Buffalo

Mon, Jan. 3

19:30

Buffalo

If qualified, USA to play in 19:30 game, if USA not qualified and CAN qualified, CAN to play in 15:30 game.
So if Canada and US each win their divisions (they're both definite favourites to) then Canada will play at 3:30. It appears the only way Canada wouldn't play at 3:30 would be if they have to play the US.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:10 AM
HeavierThanAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
[

(from link) If qualified, USA to play in 19:30 game, if USA not qualified and CAN qualified, CAN to play in 15:30 game.

So if Canada and US each win their divisions (they're both definite favourites to) then Canada will play at 3:30. It appears the only way Canada wouldn't play at 3:30 would be if they have to play the US.
Thanks for the link! The schedules I've been using don't very useful bit of wisdom underneath.

I do find the "If qualified, USA to play in 19:30 game, if USA not qualified and CAN qualified, CAN to play in 15:30 game" somewhat vague. But I believe your interpretation -- the US will pay in the 7:30pm game regardless of how they get to the semifinal, and Canada will play in the 3:30pm game unless they're playing against the US.

One last question: do you think there's a typo above and the final bit should say "if USA not qualified and CAN qualified, CAN to play in 19:30 game"? If the US, for example, doesn't win their division and loses in the quarterfinal, why wouldn't Canada be moved to the primetime 7:30pm game?

Cheers!

HeavierThanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 05:40 PM
jcarbone

Ha I did what your thinking and got 2 tickets to Semi-Final game 2.
Am hoping Canada would be playing in it, but seems the only way they will play at 7:30 is if its against the US... lol kinda lame now I HAVE to cheer for the States to, if I want to watch Team Canada.

jcarbone is offline   Reply With Quote