HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Habs-related (Eklund) rumours Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2011, 01:06 PM

vCash: 500
You guys can forget the Habs being able to move Scott Gomez without taking on another teams problem contract as well.

It's a nice thought, but don't hold your breath...

Old
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You guys can forget the Habs being able to move Scott Gomez without taking on another teams problem contract as well.

It's a nice thought, but don't hold your breath...
I would've agreed with you a few years ago but starting next year, Gomez' contract could look pretty good to the cash-strapped cap floor teams in the league

-> While his cap hit remains at 7.357M for the last 3 years of his contract, he's only going to get paid 5.83M on average. That's about 1.524M per year. I could see the Panthers wanting a taste of those savings

Old
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
I would've agreed with you a few years ago but starting next year, Gomez' contract could look pretty good to the cash-strapped cap floor teams in the league -> While his cap hit remains at 7.357M for the last 3 years of his contract, he's only going to get paid 5.83M on average. That's about 1.524M per year. I could see the Panthers wanting a taste of those savings
Every year, I always see this suggested...but how many cash-strapped teams have actually done a move designed to hit the cap floor?

Old
02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Every year, I always see this suggested...but how many cash-strapped teams have actually done a move designed to hit the cap floor?
It's been a "pipe dream" idea by many around here for years, but it never happens.

Old
02-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Well, for one, none of these long contracts with cap friendly years on the end have run out yet. Gomez has one of the first deals of this type, so he is in many ways a trial balloon.

However, with teams like the Islanders leveraging ancient buyouts just to stay at the salary floor, I cannot imagine this isn't a consideration.

As someone above pointed out, just taking Gomez is $1.57 million a year in the pocket of the owner. Pure profit.

I don't imagine they trade assets. As a hockey matter, the team will likely have to give up some picks or prospects and take a contract back, but if a team like Phoenix takes Gomez and stays at the salary floor, then it's pure savings for them.

Old
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's been a "pipe dream" idea by many around here for years, but it never happens.
You bet it's a dream and I'm not saying it's going to happen. Just that starting next year (and especially the year after that) the math is getting sexier

Old
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
You bet it's a dream and I'm not saying it's going to happen. Just that starting next year (and especially the year after that) the math is getting sexier
You know, if I'm the Phoenix owner, I would seriously look at that. And i would be afraid that Florida or another team takes him. There's still some game in him, although not as #1C and he is helpful in the playoffs.

Old
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, for one, none of these long contracts with cap friendly years on the end have run out yet. Gomez has one of the first deals of this type, so he is in many ways a trial balloon.

However, with teams like the Islanders leveraging ancient buyouts just to stay at the salary floor, I cannot imagine this isn't a consideration.

As someone above pointed out, just taking Gomez is $1.57 million a year in the pocket of the owner. Pure profit.

I don't imagine they trade assets. As a hockey matter, the team will likely have to give up some picks or prospects and take a contract back, but if a team like Phoenix takes Gomez and stays at the salary floor, then it's pure savings for them.
You dont become a millionaire by making decisions like paying a guy 7.3M/yr to sit in the AHL.

It's easy to say send him down, when you're not footing the bill.

Old
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Actually, first of those heavily frontloaded contracts were signed in summer of 2007. So far all of those contracts have had the player in question earning more in salary than the cap hit. Drury (season 2011-12) and Timonen (seasons 2011-12 and 2012-13) are first to reach years with salary below cap hit with Gomez (seasons 2012-13 and 2013-14) and Briere (seasons 2013-14 and 2014-15) following.

Even though the concept of trading players to budget teams have been brought up many times, only very few such players have been available so far. But is it just a coincidence that Michael Rozsival (earns on average 3.5 million over last two years of his contract with 5 million cap hit) was traded from Rangers to Coyotes and Mike Fisher (earn on average 3.5 million over last two years of his contact with 4.2 million cap hit) was traded from Ottawa to Nashville?

I doubt that any team is going to trade for low salary player just in order to reach the cap floor. BUT, for budget team, for example Gomez is good investment if he can perform on a level equal to his average salary (in other words, be worth approximately 5 million dollars annually over course of the next three years), while for a team spending to cap he could become good investment only if he performs at level equal to his cap hit.

If Gomez (based at the cap hit) would be approximately 1 million overpaid, he would still be good investment for budget team, as he would be worth more than his actual salary.

Old
02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Phoenix did one this year by taking on Rozsival from the Rangers for this exact purpose (cap hit 5 million, getting paid 3 million next year). Saves them 2 million $.

Old
02-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Phoenix did one this year by taking on Rozsival from the Rangers for this exact purpose (cap hit 5 million, getting paid 3 million next year). Saves them 2 million $.
That's ONE example since the lockout...gonna need alot more than one example to convince me that teams are actually looking to do this

Old
02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
skipp18

Since the other 29 teams have essentially been bankrolling the Coyotes, I don't see how that can take on one of the worst contract in the league without it being a major controversy.

Think about it, what about all the teams in the east who are battling with us, you think those owners and GM's are not going to be pissed that the Coyotes are somehow "helping us".

Old
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
Since the other 29 teams have essentially been bankrolling the Coyotes, I don't see how that can take on one of the worst contract in the league without it being a major controversy.

Think about it, what about all the teams in the east who are battling with us, you think those owners and GM's are not going to be pissed that the Coyotes are somehow "helping us".
I thought about it and yes, saving 1.524M by trading for Gomez would make sense

Keep in mind that while Gomez' contract hurts us salary-cap wise (since we cannot spend that 1.524M), it would help the Coyotes (since they don't have to spend that 1.524M)

Old
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
sevil

Quote:

controversy? For them to save money and not have to worry about covering the bills? 22million over 3 years with only 17.5million actually being paid, is great business sense for a team struggling to make money. I am not saying it's going to happen but I definitely see where it makes sense for teams that are rebuilding and try to stay close to the cap floor.

Old
02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
dcal64

Quote:

They helped the Rangers by taking on Rozsival, I didn't hear a peep from any of the other owners.

Old
02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Thing is we don't even have a 2nd round pick!

Old
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Thing is we don't even have a 2nd round pick!
We do in 2012 and beyond.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Ek now has Montreal talking with Nashville.

Better not be for Dumont and his 4 million cap hit.

I'm sure it's AK going the other way seeing the success they had with Sergei. What are the chances Montreal can get Legwand from them?

Old
02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:

I'm sure it's AK going the other way seeing the success they had with Sergei. What are the chances Montreal can get Legwand from them?
Why would we want legwand?

Old
02-14-2011, 06:52 PM
HomaridII

Quote:

EK just read the article that was posted here that said our assistant GM will be in all of Nashville's games this week.

Old
02-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Doesn't Gomez have a NTC?

Old
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Why would we want legwand?
Well he's 6.2 204 plays C and is tough as nails!

Think Montreal could use a guy like that?

I mean I'd rather have a Suter or Weber but I highly doubt that's happening! Unless Montreal is prepared to break the bank and Nashville has decided to forget about the playoffs?

Maybe a guy like O'Brien who can play as a number 6. Is a huge man at 6.3 230 lbs.
He can drop them with the heavy weights if needed.

AK for O'Brien and a pick?

Old
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
KNOWN CLAUSES: NTC (can list three teams he will not accept a trade to)

Old
02-14-2011, 07:03 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
My understanding is that he has to submit at the beginning of the season a list of 3 teams he would not accept a trade to, so a partial NTC

Old
02-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Can't remember exactly how it goes but I think it's a limited no trade where there 10 teams he's willing to go to which he submits at the beginning of the year.

EDIT: I stand corrected...3 teams it is

Phoenix is a great place to play hockey!

Closed Thread