HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Draft Pix in the WJC

Old
12-27-2010, 02:35 PM
bossy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post
De Haan - I think some people expect a Brian bleech type player and now that most Isles fans are seeing him in action for basically the first time they're, i think a little disappointed...but hey its 1 game in and he has an asst

was he on the 1st pp unit? i don't think he was..but i could be wrong.

Canada uses Ellis as the PP QB and Schwartz (a forward) on the point. de Haan saw PP time but he's not on the 1st unit.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
In other words, just like Cam Fowler . . .
I'd say they're similar in that they're both geared more toward setting up the offense, either by way of nice outlet passes, or distributing the puck from the blueline. But they're also both pretty sound defensively, relying mostly on positional play and smarts.

I'd say that Cam Fowler is better with his outlet passes (his biggest strength, he makes some sick outlet passes), and he's more willing to throw his body infront of pucks. While CdH has much more poise with the puck in all situations, and probably has a bit of a better shot from the point.

I love CdH, but I'd trade him for Cam Fowler wihout even having to think about it.

JMHO

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
he's currently 19 so this will be his only world juniors.
My bad

I don't know why I thought he was younger. Guess I'll have to keep tabs on him via NCAA now. Kinda stinks, I'd really like to see what he can do once he's acclimated to playing against tougher talent.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Islesny91

http://hockeysfuture.craveonline.com...-canada-233491 Casey Cizikas on the win. got it from the WJC section

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Canada uses Ellis as the PP QB and Schwartz (a forward) on the point. de Haan saw PP time but he's not on the 1st unit.
THX for the info...

btw..I can't help to think of the movie "spaceballs" when i hear the announcer calll out "Schwartz's" name....hahahahha

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
de Haan's game is sound. His composure with the puck is outstanding and his outlet passes are excellent. Reading other comments (esp. in the locked thread), it appears some are disappointed with his game and skill set. Not me.
I think it's because some folks who have never seen him before see first round pick, the fact he's an offensive defenseman, and immediately picture Duncan Keith (the current version, not the one at age 19), and when de Haan (obviously) doesn't play like that, they wonder why.

Another example of fans needing to temper expectations. Not every player your team drafts will become a superstar. Not every player will instantly look like an NHL all-star. Not every player dominates a game every shift he's on the ice.

If folks realize that, then they'll be more than satisfied with de Haan's future potential. If they're already penciling him in as a future Norris trophy winner, they're going to continue to be very disappointed.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Brunomics

So as soon as I put on the Canada game I see De Haan hit in the corner and go down with a left knee injury... Hopefully he's ok.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
So as soon as I put on the Canada game I see De Haan hit in the corner and go down with a left knee injury... Hopefully he's ok.
Yep. My only concern with him is his durabilty. Others smaller than him have had excellent productive NHL careers. He's a smart player so I hopehe continues to add bulk to his frame.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
It kind of looked more like a left wrist injury. On the replay it looked as though when de Haan tried to brace himself, his left wrist kind of bent awkwardly when he went into the boards.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:55 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Two WJCs, two Calvin de Haan injuries; let's hope this one isn't as serious as the last one.

2nd game watching Sean Cout., again, looking mundane and underwhelming out there.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
mczerkawski21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Two WJCs, two Calvin de Haan injuries; let's hope this one isn't as serious as the last one.

2nd game watching Sean Cout., again, looking mundane and underwhelming out there.
Totally unimpressed with Sean Cout. Looked slow. Was kinda watching the play at times. So far from what I have seen I would compare him to a bigger Tavares with half the hockey sense. Now lets watch AL in the Sweeden game.

mczerkawski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:52 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

awesome so dehaan is the new martinek. Sweet.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote