HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK Subban: At what point do we worry?

Old
12-24-2010, 01:35 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
there's another young D with the Habs, while not as hyped lots of people were in awe (well, almost) after his first 3 or 4 (great) games in the bleu-blanc-rouge... next sept he isnt making the team, not playing well and all, whole season in the AHL were he was average, lots were thinking "bust!!"... a year and a half later, the kid is doing just fine, and he's showing signs of improvement...

so, relax with Subban, for all we know he could very well end the season in the AHL and still become the franchise Dman we all hope he can be.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:36 AM
McNuts

Remember Andrei Markov at 22 years old? Not as good as Subban now. Not saying Subban will be better, just that this thread is ridiculous.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I'll admit maybe my judgement is off. Usually I watch the games and pay a lot of attention to systems, tactics, and individual moves by players, but this year for the first time being away at college I have the NHL Centre Ice package on my laptop as opposed to TV, and obviously the scale and quality is much lesser there. So I have not really appropriately been able to answer this question myself, only having seen three or four games away from my laptop:

Could the reason behind the at times bad play from Subban be the terrible play of the other defensemen generally as a whole? Perhaps overcompensating, which is easy to do with a player like PK?

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
I'll admit maybe my judgement is off. Usually I watch the games and pay a lot of attention to systems, tactics, and individual moves by players, but this year for the first time being away at college I have the NHL Centre Ice package on my laptop as opposed to TV, and obviously the scale and quality is much lesser there. So I have not really appropriately been able to answer this question myself, only having seen three or four games away from my laptop:

Could the reason behind the at times bad play from Subban be the terrible play of the other defensemen generally as a whole? Perhaps overcompensating, which is easy to do with a player like PK?
even if he was paired with the best in the world he would still go trough all the ups and downs of a rookie d-man.

Old
12-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Megaforce

If PK isn't playing I don't even watch the games.

Without PK the play by play goes like this:

"Gorges, passes to Gill... he bangs it off the boards and Pyatt has it.... shoots it in and they change up and Spacek and Hamrlik hit the ice and Lapierre chases it..."

Whereas with PK it's :

"OOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD!!! PK just hit that Flyer so hard that the guys holding the stretcher got up right away and then PK finished an end to end rush!!!!!!!! while fans screamed Peee Kaaaaayy! I've never seen anything like it!"

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:57 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
If PK isn't playing I don't even watch the games.

Without PK the play by play goes like this:

"Gorges, passes to Gill... he bangs it off the boards and Pyatt has it.... shoots it in and they change up and Spacek and Hamrlik hit the ice and Lapierre chases it..."

Whereas with PK it's :

"OOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD!!! PK just hit that Flyer so hard that the guys holding the stretcher got up right away and then PK finished an end to end rush!!!!!!!! while fans screamed Peee Kaaaaayy! I've never seen anything like it!"

wait,.. they brought in rick jeannerette to call the game?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:24 AM
JayBee*

What's kinda worrisome are the rumors of friction in the locker room. I don't care about his inconsistent play...he's a rookie and that will be fixed. But I'm hearing too many stories about there being friction in the locker room and that's a problem cuz it can ruin his confidence. It could also get him traded.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

PK needs a mentor...
I dont understand why the team has not gone to hammer or spacek and asked them to take PK asside and work with him

He's obviously not doing somethings right.
He wants to be THE man on the team. He wants to carry the team on his back...but he cant.
He tries to do too much, and Martina obviously does not know how to get through to him.

Markov would of been that mentor but too late now.
Gill and Markov cant teach PK anything because they're styles are so different.

Cant montreal go and spend some money and bring in someone if they're not going to do it within the team?

If i'm PG i'm calling Chelios, i'm calling Robinson, i'm calling desjardins...after every practice PK and webber get special time with them...nurture you're future core, dont expect them to just KNOW everything.

in every profession, even the most talented prospect has a mentor/teacher

whats wrong with this orgnization...nurture and develop your players...we have no player development...

look at how gio and gomez play, they were developed by the devils....
you leave the minors cause you cant learn anything else, you come to the nhl...you cant expect players to just be good, they have to develop further...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:12 AM
PricePkPatch

Trade him? Hmmm... If he keeps it up with locker problem, maybe management will trade him for a power forward or power D with high salary we could need to be contender? It's not 100% out of the question.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:02 AM
TheGoalJudge

I would worry if I hadn't seen him play like a #1 guy. And because I have seen him play like a #1 guy, I know he can do it.

I'd be more worried if I hadn't seen him play at such a high level before.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:44 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
PK needs a mentor...
I dont understand why the team has not gone to hammer or spacek and asked them to take PK asside and work with him

He wants to be THE man on the team. He wants to carry the team on his back...but he cant.
He tries to do too much, and Martina obviously does not know how to get through to him.

Cant montreal go and spend some money and bring in someone if they're not going to do it within the team?

If i'm PG i'm calling Chelios, i'm calling Robinson, i'm calling desjardins...after every practice PK and webber get special time with them...nurture you're future core, dont expect them to just KNOW everything.

whats wrong with this orgnization...nurture and develop your players...we have no player development...

you leave the minors cause you cant learn anything else, you come to the nhl...you cant expect players to just be good, they have to develop further...
how do you know it's not done already ?

Old
12-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Dekar

This thread is a knee-jerk reaction any time it's made in the first 2-3 seasons of his career, much less 30-something games into season 1.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 05:38 AM
jamz

i'm worried right now

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Tuggy

It's threads like these...

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:36 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

worry?
if ever not for at LEAST 2 maybe 3 more seasons...
i fo rone have no concerns with him
one gmae will be good one game will be bad and so on....
he is 20 and 25-30 games into his NHL career ffs
he isnt gretzky (or orr) people need to remember that

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

PK's performance has been way better than I expected this season. Yet, his numbers are a bit lower than I expected, and Martin's utilization of him has been abysmal. All in all, I have no worries. Subban is better than most of our players already, and I don't see how he'll regress, even if he sits out a few games unnecessarily. He'll be a top-pairing NHL defenseman with All-Star game appearances, I have no doubts.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:35 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I'm not worried at all , coaches get fire one day or another , always.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
I'm not worried at all , coaches get fire one day or another , always.

another "its all because of JM" poster, I see... original!

Old
12-24-2010, 08:39 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
another "its all because of JM" poster, I see... original!
So you're happy with the way he deal with P.K. ?

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:45 AM
RE-HABS

Well it is a good thing the Bruins never did a panic move in trading Joe Thornton in his rookie season when he only had 3 goals, 4 assists and 7 points in 55 games.

The Lightning didn't panic with Stamkos either. He was playing 4th line duty, getting time in the press box in the first half of his rookie season and then took off in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

Speaking of the Bolts, they never reacted to 1st overall pick Vinnie and his 28 point first year either.

There is no reason to panic, and this needs to be pointed out that PK is coming into a position that maybe the hardest to break into in the NHL other than goaltender.

He is young, has the skills and like the others mentioned will come into his own and will be the player we all know he can be with maturity and surrounding of better partners than those of Picard, a veteran stay at home mentor type Dman is required to assist him, along with some guidance and proper handling from management and coaching staff.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:47 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
So you're happy with the way he deal with P.K. ?
thinking of the work he did with youngsters trough the years, I trust what he's doing in that department.

way more than fans panicking cause a ROOKIE has been benched or scratched a few games, that's for sure.

"being flashy" doesnt impress me much, neither from him or anybody else, I want substance, And I also happen to understand that no matter the coach, chances are PK will not turn into Bobby Orr overnight...

Old
12-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Flambergius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
In 2-3 seasons.
This.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

when I see posters reaction to JM scratching PK, all I can think of is...

Old
12-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Evil Ted

They should trade him while his value is still inflated.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:45 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
PK needs a mentor...

This would make too much sense. We seriously fail at developing talented players.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote