HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newfie, or those who want to be Newfies Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Prrebel

vCash: 500
Newfies, or those who want to be Newfies, Habs fans Roll Call

How long have you been a Habs fan & what part of the island are you from (originally and now living)

Me?

Been a Habs fan for about 32 years (holy crap! That long???)
Originally from Port Rexton, but now living with my wife and 2 kids in Mount Pearl.

Last edited by Prrebel: 06-21-2004 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Title Error
Old
06-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
How many newfies does it take to screw in a light ...

Oops wrong thread.

Old
06-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Prrebel

That would depend on if we were a Habs fan or a Leaf fan.

habs fan;
13. 1 to put in the bulb and the other 12 to reminisce about the old one.

Leaf fan;
1 to hold the bulb and wait for the world to revolve around him.

Old
06-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel
That would depend on if we were a Habs fan or a Leaf fan.

habs fan;
13. 1 to put in the bulb and the other 12 to reminisce about the old one.

Leaf fan;
1 to hold the bulb and wait for the world to revolve around him.
Good one, but the jokes were funnier back in the good old days.

Old
06-21-2004, 12:16 PM
AgentOrange*

Who would want to be a newfie?

Newfie talk = Canada's unofficial 3rd language!

Old
06-21-2004, 12:26 PM
mcphee

Can I be an honorary Newie ? My buddy was a Mountie in Port Aux Basque and Flower Cove many years ago and married a girl from St. Johns, and I like to drink beer on my deck [not that I promote the use of stereotypes] and I watch NTV on my dish. I also have a strange attraction for Gordon Pinsent. Good enough ?

Old
06-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Guy LaFleur

*posts*

Old
06-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Can I be an honorary Newie ? My buddy was a Mountie in Port Aux Basque and Flower Cove many years ago and married a girl from St. Johns, and I like to drink beer on my deck [not that I promote the use of stereotypes] and I watch NTV on my dish. I also have a strange attraction for Gordon Pinsent. Good enough ?
I'm sure you were probably considered an honourary Newfie long ago even without all those impressive connections and credentials, mcphee.

(Someting to do with the goats, maybe? )

Aside: I bought a guitar in St. John's once and did an informal concert featuring my best renditions of Live's "Lightning Strikes" and Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" at the Fairmont there. (I even tried to improvise the bagpipe-ish sections on harmonica, so that I could try to fit in a bit better with the culture, eh? ). Somehow I feel like this disqualifies me? But wait! I am the world's most stubborn defender of the Terry Ryan draft selection! And Ryder is in my .sig! Does that redeem me in any way? Probably not... oh well...

Old
06-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I'm sure you were probably considered an honourary Newfie long ago even without all those impressive connections and credentials, mcphee.

(Someting to do with the goats, maybe? )

Aside: I bought a guitar in St. John's once and did an informal concert featuring my best renditions of Live's "Lightning Strikes" and Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" at the Fairmont there. (I even tried to improvise the bagpipe-ish sections on harmonica, so that I could try to fit in a bit better with the culture, eh? ). Somehow I feel like this disqualifies me? But wait! I am the world's most stubborn defender of the Terry Ryan draft selection! And Ryder is in my .sig! Does that redeem me in any way? Probably not... oh well...

BG, you're making no sense at all - so I guess you're in.

Old
06-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
BG, you're making no sense at all - so I guess you're in.
Then why do I feel so.... ? Like I've just won a trip to Cleveland or something?

Oh well... if you can't beat 'em...

Old
06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
chicpea*

I'd love to be an honourary newfie too!
My qualifications: grew up in Dartmouth; have dated a newfie; my aunt is a newfie; have dated my aunt; I live in the diametric opposite locale - victoria - just ten minutes walk to Beacon Hill Park; my dad has a fishing boat; my uncle is a fisherman; I like long walks on misty beaches; the first movie I saw on VCR was "The Fog" starring Jamie Lee Curtis; my most recent hairdo is eerily reminiscent of Rex Murphy at his best and most outrageous; and I like Rick Mercer.

So, please accept me.

Old
06-21-2004, 02:09 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
my aunt is a newfie; have dated my aunt; .

And that, ladies and gentleman is why I keep coming back.

Old
06-21-2004, 03:07 PM
jonny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
Who would want to be a newfie?

Newfie talk = Canada's unofficial 3rd language!

I would say anybody who likes, or has a good sense of humour. If you can't get up in the morning knowing that sometime during the day you will have a good laugh (even if it is at yourself), then what would be the point in getting up. As for the third language, well, at least Newfies will never lose or hide their true identity' I think you may have been hanging around too much of the actual " AgentOrange "

Old
06-21-2004, 03:13 PM
mcphee

[QUOTE=jonny5] If you can't get up in the morning knowing that sometime during the day you will have a good laugh (even if it is at yourself), then what would be the point in getting up. QUOTE]

Truer words were never spoken.

Old
06-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Darz

Put me down in the 'wannabe' category.

You newfie's kick ass!!!!!!

Old
06-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

I'm from Halifax

I'm from halifax so that's close enough..:0
Fav newfie movie was Rare birds..Fav newfie players are Jason King, Mike Ryder and Darren langdon.

Old
06-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Brett38

Born in Springdale. Lived there for ten years. Lived in St.John's for fourteen years...high school, University and some work experience there. Moved to Grand Falls-Windsor where I lived for ten years. Recently moved to northern Alberta where I have lived for the past ten months. I teach school there. I also lived in BC for over four years as a boy.

Do I miss the Island...yes, but finanually much better off in Alberta.

Hows sha gettin on ole ****?

or

Whata ya at buddy?

or

Come on over for fish-n-bruise with scrunchuns...if we can find me a piece of cod.

Take care,

Brett38

Old
06-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Guy LaFleur

Quote:
Moved to Grand Falls-Windsor where I lived for ten years.
I live in Botwood. Would have been nice to hang out with a fellow Habs fan and shoot some ****.

I says we all gets together sometime, throws a big ol' party, and watches a game. Maybe the season opener or something. All gather round ye old television, buy some beer, grab some nachos or something, and make a big ol' bash out of it, Newfie style.

Old
06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Newfies are my slaves!

Old
06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
Born in Springdale. Lived there for ten years. Lived in St.John's for fourteen years...high school, University and some work experience there. Moved to Grand Falls-Windsor where I lived for ten years. Recently moved to northern Alberta where I have lived for the past ten months. I teach school there. I also lived in BC for over four years as a boy.

Hows sha gettin on ole ****?

or

Whata ya at buddy?

or

Come on over for fish-n-bruise with scrunchuns...if we can find me a piece of cod.

Take care,

Brett38
I'd love to come over for some scrunchins Ole man....I live in Alberta now, but I was born in Deer Lake and grew up in Port aux Basques. I've been off the island for almost 21 years, where I serve in the Military. I'd love to get a good feed of Cod tongues and Cheeks...in scrunchins..of course. You can count me in on the roll call btw.

Old
06-21-2004, 09:29 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38

Brett38
Brett38, I was born in Grand Falls but moved at 6 months of age to Manitoba and have lived pretty much every where in Canada except the Terratories and BC (grew up in a mining family).

My parents are from Springdale and Robert's Arm, lots of relatives back there and we try to go back every so often (harder to do now with my wife having family in Ontario and me having family scattered all over Canada).

Beautiful place to visit and would recommend anyone here to go there for a holiday, you won't regret it! The hospitality and scenery is second to none, very beautiful place to have a great summer vacation.

Old
06-21-2004, 09:42 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Never been there, would like to go someday.

Old
06-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Brett38, I was born in Grand Falls but moved at 6 months of age to Manitoba and have lived pretty much every where in Canada except the Terratories and BC (grew up in a mining family).

My parents are from Springdale and Robert's Arm, lots of relatives back there and we try to go back every so often (harder to do now with my wife having family in Ontario and me having family scattered all over Canada).

Beautiful place to visit and would recommend anyone here to go there for a holiday, you won't regret it! The hospitality and scenery is second to none, very beautiful place to have a great summer vacation.

My father was born in Port Anson. I have relatives there and in Roberts Arm and tons in Sprindale. My father worked in the mines as well. We moved to northern BC in the 70's for four years before moving back to Springdale. There are eight of us boys...thats right eight sons. My oldest brother just retired from the military.

Old
06-22-2004, 07:40 AM
markmacroberts

this is my first post here, i've been a long time reader

I'm 17, just finished high school, have been a habs fan all my life, and i'm a newfie, born and raised in st. john's m'son

Old
06-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Frankie

amazing how many newfoundlanders still love to be identified as the "stupid newfie".

no wonder the rest of canada has such a poor view of newfoundlanders.

Closed Thread