HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez appreciation thread.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I agree that had Kovy and Komi stayed we would be a different looking team but we can't say a worse team. We don't know and can't judge Kovy based on his play in Ottawa. The whole team blows and is underachieving and it predates Kovy's arrival so that one is up in the air. If Komi would have stayed we wouldn't have Spacek. There are alot of guys here that would make that trade today. We can't really make a judgement on "what if's" with these two players but I do agree that the dynamics changed once they didn't sign.

Either way, it was BG that blew up the failure version of the centennial Habs. A team which forced him to fire his friend and personal choice for coach and then becoming head coach himself, he was made to watch helplessly as they exited like lambs in the first round. Small wonder as he looked at the collection of players that failed so miserably that he made drastic changes over the summer and changed the core to one that morphed into the hard working defensively strong team we have today. It's not all BG that did this but he had a huge part in it.

I used to laugh at the Rangers and how they over paid their players. I never really paid attention to Gomez thinking him another overpaid player with no heart because of his salary. Now that i see him every game I can tell you I appreciate him for all the little things he does so well despite his salary or cap hit. I'd rather have his ability and play, when he's out of his slump, than rely on prospects and wishful thinking.
All am saying is that Gainey tried to keep the players he should have let go and completely ignored a lot of others who have been as good or better than what he has picked up. It certainly didn't look like a well thought out plan... it looked more like grasping at straws.

As far as Gomez goes, we are on a different page. I don't see the little things he does well, I see a lot of talent that is on cruise control most of the time. Ranger fans will tell you the same thing.

Like you, I would sooner have Gomez when he is out of a slump than an unproven prospect but we yet to see that Gomez this year.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Oh please.

In the 4 times he was below the 60 point threshold, 2 came before the lock out and the 2 others are incomplete seasons, where his pro-rated point totals actually cracks that 60 point benchmark.

And I mean really, even if you don't take that into account, does 58 or 59 points as opposed to 60 points make enough of a difference to you to build an argument over it? Really?

"60-70 points" translates to "you can expect 60 points and he has a 70 point upside". Not misleading at all even if he's struggling this season.

About my b.s. wingers argument. Just so we're clear. You would argue that having a plugger and an offensive winger would maximize Gomez' production?

The hate is getting ridiculous now. Honestly I'd rather listen to your redundant ranting about his salary rather than arguments about his production potential. The former actually had basis.
do you even know what the word "rant" means?

again and again with the crying about "hate"... no one hates anyone, if you don't want to discuss things, then don't bother posting, pretty simple, no?

and you do know that he hit 70pts pre-lockout as well right?

but yes, now it's because of the lockout that his production has dropped.

so let's get it straight...

getting used to new team fault, check.
coaches fault, check.
linemates fault, check.
lockouts fault, check.

any other excuses you'd like to add? might as well get them out of the way now, instead of holding them for a later date.

and last time I checked, Moen doesn't play on the PP with Gomez, so what's the excuse for the lack of production there? and for that matter, Moen being put on his wing was the RESULT of him not being able to produce with 2 scoring wingers, not the cause.
clearly not optimal, but Martin must have figured out what any unbiased person can see, scoring wingers lose their scoring touch next to Gomez, so might as well limit the carnage and have Moen not scoring in that spot instead of Cammy/Kost/Gionta ect.

and i'm only half joking on the last point

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

coaches fault, check.
linemates fault, check.
lockouts fault, check.

any other excuses you'd like to add? might as well get them out of the way now, instead of holding them for a later date.
Spending too much time in class learning French fault, check.

On a serious note I was one of the most vociferous critics of the Gomez trade. I still think it was a dumb ass trade but I've begun to warm up to Gomez. I think he is one of the reasons our locker room is full of team spirit - and not the Seagram type. Does that make up for the turn-over machine that is Gomez, the floating around the offensive zone and hide in the corners, the weak in the boards Gomez? Naw but unless we can trade him and get a true #2 center we need to make the best of a lousy situation. Hopefully MaxPac can bring some life into Gomez's play.

My doctor advises me not to hold my breath.

Last edited by onice: 12-15-2010 at 09:39 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

On a serious note I was one of the most vociferous critics of the Gomez trade. I still think it was a dumb ass trade but I've begun to warm up to Gomez. I think he is one of the reasons our locker room is full of team spirit - and not the Seagram type. Does that make up for the turn-over machine that is Gomez, the floating around the offensive zone and hide in the corners, the weak in the boards Gomez? Naw but unless we can trade him and get a true #2 center we need to make the best of a lousy situation. Hopefully MaxPac can bring some life into Gomez's play.

i agree with most of what you said, but I wonder, is the team spirit in the locker room a result of Gomez's (and gio and cammy) personality, or the result of a habs team that made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs for the first time in over a decade and was treated like kings as a result?

down the stretch as we were in a dog fight for that last playoff spot, i don't know that the buzz around the team was any different than it was a year earlier when the team was in the same situation.

i wonder what the locker room buzz would be like had the rangers won 1 more game last year and we ended up out of the playoffs? summer and pre-season would have been a whole lot more glum, at least from the media/fans (and this despite the negative Halak trade backlash).

but here and now, i share your guarded hope that Gomez can find a spark and play at least to his ~60pt potential.

Old
12-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
not much to disagree about these facts:
Gomez on pace for 25pts... currently well sub 50% on face-offs...

let those facts sink in for a minute...

ok, so yeah, we disagree if you think that a player with that kind of production in a 2nd line role with plum pp time is what this team should head into next season with... we disagree big time.

also, there are a boat load of centres, with as good if not better contributions in non-scoring dimensions, throughout the league. And none (save perhaps Chris Drury) are as big of a cap burden.

I also don't get this myth that Gomez was a big impact in last year's playoff run.

did he contribute, of course, but with far less impact than Halak, Cammalleri, Gionta, Plekanec, Markov (before injury), Subban (after Markov's injury), Gorges, and I'd even argue Gill...

8th or 9th most important contributor isn't my idea of a "must keep" kind of player, but to each their own.

but anyhow, to be clear, for the time being I don't imagine there's much chance of us being able to move him AND improve the roster (since no team would give up quality assets in return for such a contract mess), and I don't think Eller will be ready to completely supplant him THIS YEAR (though I'd love to see him get a few games with Gionta-Pouliot, or Cammalleri-Kost as his wingers).

next season, that's hopefully a different story. Young players can make pretty huge gains from year to year, if they have the confidence and right work ethic... i think Eller's got it, so as i said, just a matter of time.
See the problem is many casual observers can't acknowledge anything other than point production. You can't measure (only) with points what Gomez brings is what I'm trying to say. I am a big fan of Gomez and sure I'd like him to produce more but the other things he brings (which you are refusing to see and that I don't need to repeat again) are vital to this team. Yes vital.

About Gomez' value in the playoffs it goes further than points of course. But if you must look at only points you do realize he was 3rd in scoring on the team with 14 points in 19 games right? That's tied for 5th in the league amongst centers. He was also 2nd or 3rd best among those centermen in the faceoff dot. Yet you think he was a minor contributor?

It's a bit hard to debate this when facts clearly contradict what you say.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

You guys are just saying anything now. Gomez not turning the puck over is actually one of his strenghts.

He has 6 giveaways this year according to NHL.com. Pleky has 10. Which is still amazing compared to Ryan Getzlaf's 44! (wow)

You can't just throw anything out there to support your claim. If anything the opposite is true about Gomez. You rarely see him cough up the puck.

A bit off topic but looking at giveaways really highlights the JM system based on puck possession and smart puck management. Our highest turnover for one player is 13 (cammy). Crosby has 23. Kind of interesting. Anyway...

Old
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
sprevost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
See the problem is many casual observers can't acknowledge anything other than point production. You can't measure (only) with points what Gomez brings is what I'm trying to say. I am a big fan of Gomez and sure I'd like him to produce more but the other things he brings (which you are refusing to see and that I don't need to repeat again) are vital to this team. Yes vital.

About Gomez' value in the playoffs it goes further than points of course. But if you must look at only points you do realize he was 3rd in scoring on the team with 14 points in 19 games right? That's tied for 5th in the league amongst centers. He was also 2nd or 3rd best among those centermen in the faceoff dot. Yet you think he was a minor contributor?

This. We have been missing him in the last 2 games and it is quite noticeable to me. He brings alot more than people care to acknowledge I think. I really hope Pacman and him find some chemistry out there tonight (if healthy to play of course)

Good post.

sprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprevost View Post
This. We have been missing him in the last 2 games and it is quite noticeable to me. He brings alot more than people care to acknowledge I think. I really hope Pacman and him find some chemistry out there tonight (if healthy to play of course)

Good post.
Agreed. Unless you watch the game intently and truly know whats going on, no offense intended to anyone, you simply wont notice what he does on the ice. He is always back helping the D, he contains the puck allowing for a fluent breakout and is more than fast enough to bring the puck into the zone and wait for help. He is responsible defensively, buys into our system perfectly (which is why under this management we will never have a kovalchuk or one-dimensional "star") and is a great guy in the locker room.

You always hear the expression, Enjoy the Little Things. Its Scott Gomez that does all those little things that help this team succeed.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
HCH

Quote:
You guys are just saying anything now. Gomez not turning the puck over is actually one of his strenghts.

He has 6 giveaways this year according to NHL.com. Pleky has 10. Which is still amazing compared to Ryan Getzlaf's 44! (wow)

You can't just throw anything out there to support your claim. If anything the opposite is true about Gomez. You rarely see him cough up the puck.

A bit off topic but looking at giveaways really highlights the JM system based on puck possession and smart puck management. Our highest turnover for one player is 13 (cammy). Crosby has 23. Kind of interesting. Anyway...
You gotta look at what the NHL calls a turnover. When a player makes a blind pass on to the stick of an opponent, it doesn't show up as a turnover. I still can't figure that one out.

And yes, I do see Gomez do that frequently. The last couple of games he played were better but he needs to hang on to the puck and take a hit to make a pass.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You gotta look at what the NHL calls a turnover. When a player makes a blind pass on to the stick of an opponent, it doesn't show up as a turnover. I still can't figure that one out.

And yes, I do see Gomez do that frequently. The last couple of games he played were better but he needs to hang on to the puck and take a hit to make a pass.
Everyone who plays hockey in any league will turn the puck over at some point. I'm not sure what the NHL considers a turnover or how you know that but if you call Gomez a turnover machine you're watching a different Gomez than I am. Kovalev, now there's a turnover machine and there is no denying it (I believe he's 3rd in the league right now).

Regardless of how they count it 6 is a tremendous achievement in comparison to most NHL players.

That's telling a lot. The posters who are using that card as a negative aspect of Gomez's game for their argument against him are in fact highlighting one of his strengths. Kind of ironic. They see what they want to see because all they can think of is salary and points. And rightly so to some degree because I'll never go out and say he's worth 7 million nor that his on pace for 25 points is acceptable.

I do firmly believe though that he's going to start producing more when he stops playing with Travis cement hands Moen and that he'll be there in April as always.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Agreed. Unless you watch the game intently and truly know whats going on, no offense intended to anyone, you simply wont notice what he does on the ice. He is always back helping the D, he contains the puck allowing for a fluent breakout and is more than fast enough to bring the puck into the zone and wait for help. He is responsible defensively, buys into our system perfectly (which is why under this management we will never have a kovalchuk or one-dimensional "star") and is a great guy in the locker room.

You always hear the expression, Enjoy the Little Things. Its Scott Gomez that does all those little things that help this team succeed.
Not true. He's been cheating out of the defensive zone before the puck is cleared all year. CBC illustrated a perfect example of it two weeks ago against San Jose where he was "blowing the zone", and the puck was behind Price. The problem with his game all year has been that he hasn't been doing the little things.

His play was improving before he got injured, granted, but I haven't seen him play at the level he is capable of, and I think that is what frustrates people most. If he's been injured, that would make sense as it would limit his play, but we won't know for sure. Regardless, his point production (4 ES points all year) is something that can't be ignored this far into the season whether or not he's been good enough in other areas. Luckily, guys like Pouliot/Halpern/Darche have picked his offensive slack and the team has been winning, but imagine if they weren't? At what point is it ok to expect more point production out of him?

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Jigger77

Expecting him to produce more points is one thing. Talking about trading him is another entirely. It would be a colossal mistake imo.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Expecting him to produce more points is one thing. Talking about trading him is another entirely. It would be a colossal mistake imo.
Trading him would be silly. The only thing the team can do is hope his production improves, which looked like it was beginning to happen. If he gets his feet moving more, and consistently comes back lower in the defensive zone, his overall game will improve, and the points should follow if his new line does what we hope.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Stradale

Kinda funny that because we lost our last 2 games without Gomez makes him an instant MVP.

I'm not saying that we don't need Gomez or anything but we didn't lose our last two games because Gomez wasn't there. We lost because we didn't play 60 min.

Stop trying to excuse him for his lacks of production, he's our 2nd line center, on pace for 30 pts.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Trading him would be silly. The only thing the team can do is hope his production improves, which looked like it was beginning to happen. If he gets his feet moving more, and consistently comes back lower in the defensive zone, his overall game will improve, and the points should follow if his new line does what we hope.
Agreed. Gionta's slow start didn't help him. Let's hope that now that Gio seems to have somewhat found his scoring touch and with a guy who can finish (Patches) he'll get back to a more respectable point production. It would be a very, very good things for the Habs if that line works out.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
... But it's impossible anyway.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:20 PM
m00ks

Quote:
do you even know what the word "rant" means?

again and again with the crying about "hate"... no one hates anyone, if you don't want to discuss things, then don't bother posting, pretty simple, no?

and you do know that he hit 70pts pre-lockout as well right?

but yes, now it's because of the lockout that his production has dropped.

coaches fault, check.
linemates fault, check.
lockouts fault, check.

and last time I checked, Moen doesn't play on the PP with Gomez, so what's the excuse for the lack of production there? and for that matter, Moen being put on his wing was the RESULT of him not being able to produce with 2 scoring wingers, not the cause.
clearly not optimal, but Martin must have figured out what any unbiased person can see, scoring wingers lose their scoring touch next to Gomez, so might as well limit the carnage and have Moen not scoring in that spot instead of Cammy/Kost/Gionta ect.

and i'm only half joking on the last point
Well see now you're just misinterpreting what I say and putting words in my mouth. I never BLAMED the lockout for his sub 60 points total. That's retarded. I merely wanted to indicate that the last time his production dipped below the 60 points pace was EIGHT YEARS ago. Insignificant blip but please, keep building an argument on it.

Moen is the result?? Who the hell was this magical scoring winger completing the line? Ohh Pouliot? You would say that he's playing like a top 6 winger this season? But obviously you would blame that on Gomez as well....
It's simple. There's a hole in the line-up. A winger. Why would there be a perceived hole if Gomez was the only problem? If he's looked at as a 60+ point man, how do you expect him to meet his numbers if he is missing a winger?

And there is hate. In your other post you criticize Gomez' impact on the playoff run when you forget his line carried the production load for a good portion of the regular season. Considering that we've made the playoffs by the skin of our teeth, there wouldn't have been a playoff run if his line weren't as productive as they were at the time.

And it's funny, as I type this I sound like the biggest Gomez apologetic, when I could care less if he was out of the team if we had a better replacement for better value. Who the hell wouldn't want that.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Not true. He's been cheating out of the defensive zone before the puck is cleared all year. CBC illustrated a perfect example of it two weeks ago against San Jose where he was "blowing the zone", and the puck was behind Price. The problem with his game all year has been that he hasn't been doing the little things.

His play was improving before he got injured, granted, but I haven't seen him play at the level he is capable of, and I think that is what frustrates people most. If he's been injured, that would make sense as it would limit his play, but we won't know for sure. Regardless, his point production (4 ES points all year) is something that can't be ignored this far into the season whether or not he's been good enough in other areas. Luckily, guys like Pouliot/Halpern/Darche have picked his offensive slack and the team has been winning, but imagine if they weren't? At what point is it ok to expect more point production out of him?
I wasnt able to see the San Jose game, from the games I have seen I have noticed him do the little things. It is okay to expect more point production from him when more than 50% of his wingers are capable of more than a goal a month. I think now will be the real test with Gio and Patches.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
I wasnt able to see the San Jose game, from the games I have seen I have noticed him do the little things. It is okay to expect more point production from him when more than 50% of his wingers are capable of more than a goal a month. I think now will be the real test with Gio and Patches.
During the playoffs he mostly had Moen or Pouliot on his wing and they had 2 goals combined, and 1 of Moen's goals was a shorty. Gomez had 14 points (8 pts at ES) in 19 games. So, the lack of having two scoring wingers argument falls short. He's capable of producing no matter who his second winger is, we've seen it, and despite my criticism of his play, know he's better than what he's shown. He just needs to find a way to do it, and I have an optimistic feeling that his two games watching in the pressbox, and a new line will get his production going again.

Old
12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
HCH

Tonight will be a good test. Gomez is skill player going up against a physical team. If he can show some mojo and put in a good game it would bode well for things to come.

Old
12-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

of course it's not all about point production, but for a top 6 player, point production is an important contribution that is to be expected.
Even more so when were talking about a player that isn't a key PK player (7th fwd in toi/g on pk), does not bring a physical element to the table, and despite the exxagerated talk about his locker room precense, was not recognized by the staff as a key leader on the team.
Yes he plays lots of PP time, but if he isn't producing, then that becomes a problem not a sign of further contributions.

He skates/carries the puck well, but not much comes of it in the offensive zone. he back checks pretty hard and plays a pretty good defensive game from the C position, but you can find a ton of centres who do that for a fraction of the cost and who don't need top 6 minutes/pp time.

conversely, with a guy like Pleks, even when he isn't producing, he still contributes a ton to the team since he is a great defensive centre, a key part of our PK, and very much makes his linemates better/allows them to do their thing.

for the playoffs-
while Gomez did contribute at a solid level in terms of points in the playoffs, my feeling in watching every single game is that he wasn't as big of a factor as the players I listed. Not saying he wasn't good, just that, imo, he wasn't as big a factor as some people seem to indicate (seemingly going just on the stat line).
Of course gorges or gill wouldn't have better production, but as you point out, it's about more than just stats.
Or better yet, Plekanec was, imo, CLEARLY our best all-around forward, but since Cammy was absolutely clutch scoring-wise, and pleks stat line was less than stellar, people seem to forget just how instrumental he was in helping us beat both Wash/Pitts.
from the way I understand hockey (and team sports in general), Pleks overall contributions were far greater than Gomez's, despite scoring less.

for his play this year-
while stats aren't and shouldn't be the sole way of measuring a player's effectivness, a top 6 centre on pace for 25pts is obviously a big problem.
Add to that the struggles everyone one of our offensively gifted wingers have had while playing with him (despite his biggest skill being as a playmaker), and the predictable nature of his game which is allowing opposing teams to completely shut down his line, and imo it's a very serious concern. He's still on contract for 3 more seasons after this one...
While some try to ignore the cap, fact is that he is a 7.4M$ hit, and for the team to be successful over the next few years, we either need more out of him, or we need to find a way to make better use of that large (12% of the cap on a cap spending team!).

I don't think we disagree that much on what a player should be measured by, but it seems clear that we see different things when we watch Gomez play this season.

Fair enough.

but I would simply ask you this, if he finished the season with <40pts, are you still going to be comfortable with him as the 2nd line centre going into next year?

Old
12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Could of just wrote that we expect more from Gomez! I do want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but with lack of scoring, sure hinders that point of view.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Well see now you're just misinterpreting what I say and putting words in my mouth. I never BLAMED the lockout for his sub 60 points total. That's retarded. I merely wanted to indicate that the last time his production dipped below the 60 points pace was EIGHT YEARS ago. Insignificant blip but please, keep building an argument on it. .
funny, I thought 58 and 59 were below 60? guess I need to re-learn my math

and you did bring the lockout into the discussion, if it wasn't as an excuse or an "exception", than why bother pointing it out at all?

In the 4 times he was below the 60 point threshold, 2 came before the lock out and the 2 others are incomplete seasons, where his pro-rated point totals actually cracks that 60 point benchmark.

seems to me like a pretty clear attempt to build up your argument,

Quote:
Moen is the result?? Who the hell was this magical scoring winger completing the line? Ohh Pouliot? You would say that he's playing like a top 6 winger this season? But obviously you would blame that on Gomez as well....
It's simple. There's a hole in the line-up. A winger. Why would there be a perceived hole if Gomez was the only problem? If he's looked at as a 60+ point man, how do you expect him to meet his numbers if he is missing a winger?.
funny, Pouliot is looking a lot more like a top 6 player than Gomez is this season... at least ever since he got off Gomez's line...

I certainly agree that Moen is not a top 6 winger, but the only reason he's there is because Martin got stuck when the offensive players he played with Gomez all struggled. He can't get scoring out of the 2nd line, so he needs to spread it out, and lucky for us, Halpern has been able to produce playing with Pouliot/Darche.

Gomez, meanwhile, remains stone cold despite always having at least one of Cammalleri, Gionta, Pouliot, A.Kost on his wing.

I expect a top 6 centre to be able to produce at better than a 25pt pace even if he has Moen-Lapierre as his wingers for the entire season.

not too mention that Gomez gets a ton of PP time, where his wingers are often both offensively gifted.

2:31 min/g, compared to :14s/g... and halpern always has a Darche/Lapierre as his winger, and never gets a cammalleri/gionta/a.kost on the other side...

Gomez- 9pts
Halpern- 16pts

if you can't see how retarded it is to whine about Gomez not having the right wingers to produce after looking at these facts, there's really not much more to say.

Quote:
And there is hate. In your other post you criticize Gomez' impact on the playoff run when you forget his line carried the production load for a good portion of the regular season. Considering that we've made the playoffs by the skin of our teeth, there wouldn't have been a playoff run if his line weren't as productive as they were at the time. .
I didn't criticize gomez's impact on the playoff results, I merely stated that imo, there were at least 7-8 players who had a bigger impact on our success.
Some people saw him as one of the 2-3 most impactful players, and I disagree.
Disagree does not equal hate, at least not in my books.

and yes, we made the playoffs by the skin of our teeth, and likely would not have qualified if Gomez didn't pick it up in the 2nd half as he did...

but do you not think that maybe, just maybe, his ineffectual production in the first part of the season also contributed (in a negative way) to us just barely making the playoffs?

wins late in the season don't count for more points in the standings than points early in the season, just think of where the team would have been had he not been on a 40pt pace for the first 30 games of the season.

I like Pouliot a lot, but i'd emphatically state that he had very little impact on our playoff run... according to you that means i hate him? that is an incredibly childish argument.

Quote:

And it's funny, as I type this I sound like the biggest Gomez apologetic, when I could care less if he was out of the team if we had a better replacement for better value. Who the hell wouldn't want that.
you do sound like a big (not the biggest, as some posters are even more adamantly opposed to removing the blinders) Gomez apologetic...

why is that?

if you recognize it yourself, doesn't that imply that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing?

I think any rational fan would want better value (both in terms of value-cap, and straight up value as a top 6 centre) than what we get from Gomez, that's the whole point.
We are getting terrible ROI with this particular player at this point, and imo it's unlikely that we can look forward to getting much more in the coming years. that's essentially all that I'm saying.

doesn't matter what the player's name is... gomez, pleks, halak, eller, pouliot... i don't know any of them personally and have no ill-feelings towards them just b/c.

players that don't offer at least decent value and have little chance of improving on that need to be replaced, if possible, now or in the near future. simple as that

no hate, hating players for playing poorly is for kids and immature adults.

Old
12-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Stradale

With his 2 games "break" and MaxPac on his line with Gio, I have a feeling that Gomez's line will be the line that will lead this team offensively in the next week.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
m00ks

1) lol Dude get real. 58/59/60 points is the same ****. You dilute it as a "50 point-seasons" to better suit your argument. But AGAIN if 1-2 points are so important, How about you pro-rate it to a full season? You keep ignoring that point.

Does it really bother that maybe just maybe, regardless of his salary, from what he has shown over the course of his career, he IS a 60+ point center?

2) The man is struggling this year but clearly, he isn't a 25 point player. My main argument in this regard was that playing with a plugger is not helping the cause specially for a pure playmaker. Gomez needs to pick it up but the hole remains and you can't expect his production to be up to par with his average given what he's working with.

3) You're right though. Arguing is useless since you've been going on and on with your criticism of anything and everything for over a year now. You obviously won't stop now.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote