HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Scott Gomez appreciation thread.

Old
12-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
2) The man is struggling this year but clearly, he isn't a 25 point player. My main argument in this regard was that playing with a plugger is not helping the cause specially for a pure playmaker. Gomez needs to pick it up but the hole remains and you can't expect his production to be up to par with his average given what he's working with.
He's clearly a 25 points player, when Saku played with pluggers he still put up points and got the PP going.

Hell even Halpern is outproducing him like they are not even in the same league.

Just admit it, Gomez is terrible, his salary is insane and handicap the franchise.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Erika

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He's clearly a 25 points player, when Saku played with pluggers he still put up points and got the PP going.

Hell even Halpern is outproducing him like they are not even in the same league.

Just admit it, Gomez is terrible, his salary is insane and handicap the franchise.
I'm with you and Gomez will finish this year with less than 35 points, mark my words !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:14 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Pacioretty has single handedly rejuvenated Gomez. Easily his best 2 periods of the season...

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Pacioretty has single handedly rejuvenated Gomez. Easily his best 2 periods of the season...
Let's hope he goes PPG for the rest of the season with Patches and Gio.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
Let's hope he goes PPG for the rest of the season with Patches and Gio.
It's not that crazy an idea, as it was about this time last year when Gomez started to pick it up when the g-g-pou line was united for the first time...

Old
12-15-2010, 09:15 PM
holyhabs87

A good game but more lazy and stupid defensive play from him.

That 5th goal was on him just as much as Subban. He passed the puck back in his zone to Subban because he does not want to take a hit to make a play. Weak. Then after he does pass it, does he go back to PK and offer a passing option? Nope. He decides to skate towards the red line forcing PK to have to force a pass to someone that is covered.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post

That 5th goal was on him just as much as Subban. He passed the puck back in his zone to Subban because he does not want to take a hit to make a play. Weak. Then after he does pass it, does he go back to PK and offer a passing option? Nope. He decides to skate towards the red line forcing PK to have to force a pass to someone that is covered.
Please. Subban had control of the puck and time to make a play. That goal cant be blamed on Gomez at all. Especially when Subban just watched his giveaway as Giroux went to the net...

Old
12-15-2010, 09:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Expect Gomez to bring MaxPac down at the point where the kid loses any confidence he built this year in the AHL.. While I agree Gomez probably played one of his best games of the season, its still nothing to write about, especially in the offensive zone... Tonight was ok for a supposed offensive center no more..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:23 PM
habtastic

Are people in here bashing Gomez? Cuz if you are, you clearly weren't watching the Habs tonight.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:25 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Expect Gomez to bring MaxPac down at the point where the kid loses any confidence he built this year in the AHL.. While I agree Gomez probably played one of his best games of the season, its still nothing to write about, especially in the offensive zone... Tonight was ok for a supposed offensive center no more..
2 assists and very good overal play is an okay night? Crosby would have been pleased with that performance outside of the loss...

Old
12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
2 assists and very good overal play is an okay night? Crosby would have been pleased with that performance outside of the loss...
Ok lets say he played a good game tonight, could live with this.. Now lets watch the upcoming games for fun..

Old
12-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Gomez was a mother ****ing beast tonight. A beast, and nothing less.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:38 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Ok lets say he played a good game tonight, could live with this.. Now lets watch the upcoming games for fun..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

This.

Now I agree he needs to have more games like this, but he showed tonight at the very least he is'nt shot. Hopefully that trio can keep it up.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Are people in here bashing Gomez? Cuz if you are, you clearly weren't watching the Habs tonight.
Yes he played very well tonight however you can't dispute he has deserved all the criticism he has gotten for his play this year. So to basically come here and act all high and mighty after he finally plays a game up to his level 30 odd games into this season, well thats kinda laughable.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Stradale

Nothing negative to say about Gomez tonight. Lets hope he can keep it up.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Reminded me of the Gomez from the last playoffs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:47 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Yes he played very well tonight however you can't dispute he has deserved all the criticism he has gotten for his play this year. So to basically come here and act all high and mighty after he finally plays a game up to his level 30 odd games into this season, well thats kinda laughable.
First of all I was referring to whether people were bashing him after tonight (since the thread got bumped)

Second, why don't you read my posts in this thread (and others ftm) regarding Gomez. Whether you agree or not, in every single one of them, I said Gomez is a lot better than is being made out and doing what you would call making excuses for him, so I'm not picking my spots. I was defending him while he was "down".

Old
12-15-2010, 09:54 PM
HCH

We've so busy focusing on Gomez, that everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that this team could easily be in 8th place by tomorrow night. We also have five more home games than road games, so the schedule has been favorable.

The next couple of weeks will be a good test of what this team is made of

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
First of all I was referring to whether people were bashing him after tonight (since the thread got bumped)

Second, why don't you read my posts in this thread (and others ftm) regarding Gomez. Whether you agree or not, in every single one of them, I said Gomez is a lot better than is being made out and doing what you would call making excuses for him, so I'm not picking my spots. I was defending him while he was "down".
does it matter. Its one night. People should be skeptical of Gomez. He has played only a handful of good games all year. If he reverts back to his craptacular form tomorrow, then tonight means nothing. Tonight also does nothing to absolve him from his poor play all year.

Defend him while he is down, knock yourself out. He isn't playing well. He may be a lot better player then he is showing but the FACT is, he isn't showing it very often and deserves all the criticism he is getting.

All hab fans can hope is tonight can turn around his season cause for better or worse, they are stuck with the albatross.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Everyone in the league knows Gomez has no shot, he can skate as much as he wants in the neutral zone, his problem remains once he cross the blueline where he looks quite lost most of the times, he doesnt see his linemates well (lacks creativity with the puck), doesnt cut to the net, loses the puck too easily... Tonight he has been better, espcially in the offensive zone but its only 1 game, he will have to keep that intensity level and keep trying to do more offensively..

Old
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
does it matter. Its one night. People should be skeptical of Gomez. He has played only a handful of good games all year. If he reverts back to his craptacular form tomorrow, then tonight means nothing. Tonight also does nothing to absolve him from his poor play all year.

Defend him while he is down, knock yourself out. He isn't playing well. He may be a lot better player then he is showing but the FACT is, he isn't showing it very often and deserves all the criticism he is getting.

All hab fans can hope is tonight can turn around his season cause for better or worse, they are stuck with the albatross.
You said I was acting all "high and mighty" cuz he had a good game.
so I was first pointing out that you're wrong and second, you're saying he DID have a good game (and that's why I was all of a sudden praising him) and then saying he deserves criticism.

I will defend him while you think he's down since it's obvious to me why people are mislead into thinking he's useless. He plays a particular style that requires complementation by more than (but including) Brian Gionta. He got that tonight. It's been obvious before. Plays ended up dead cuz there was no one there. He himself wasn't sucking any more than Cammy, Gionta, etc. You can knock yourself out by trying to hate on the "albatross". "IF he reverts" is both hypothetical and wrong since IMO he never was as bad as you think. And since you're entitled to your opinion about him sucking before, since you do suggest he played a good game tonight, why are you so against people recognizing that and trying to make sure that they knowwww that Scott Gomez is forever useless and we will all burn in hell if we support him. He had a good game. Appreciate it. Hope that it continues. You know, like...be a fan (unless that means the typical playa hata such as the most famous "Price is ruined" fan from last year and the summer and the first game of the season).

Old
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Everyone in the league knows Gomez has no shot, he can skate as much as he wants in the neutral zone, his problem remains once he cross the blueline where he looks quite lost most of the times, he doesnt see his linemates well (lacks creativity with the puck), doesnt cut to the net, loses the puck too easily... Tonight he has been better, espcially in the offensive zone but its only 1 game, he will have to keep that intensity level and keep trying to do more offensively..
Gomez's game is based on creativity and finding his linemates, which he does on a consistent basis when playing at his level. I have no idea what you're getting at.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:06 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Put yourself with a very limited Gionta (at the beginning of the season) and Moen/Pyatt. Be creative...

Old
12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
We've so busy focusing on Gomez, that everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that this team could easily be in 8th place by tomorrow night. We also have five more home games than road games, so the schedule has been favorable.

The next couple of weeks will be a good test of what this team is made of
Don't worry, Spacek and PK are getting their fair share of attention (and so far, not nearly enough positive for MaxPac).

Yup, you're right about the games coming up, but isn't it disconcerting to know that a missed call here and there or a terrible unforced error can cost you game after game after game? We have to get some of the bounces go our way. I feel like we're good enough to compete strongly, but we can't get jobbed by awful calls/non-calls + doing boneheaded things. One of those two factors is in our control. Personally I really liked the puck movement on the PP and even the offensive zone even strength presence. Just have to make sure we don't cough it up like we've been doing. Either way, PK is going to be a huge factor. As we saw he can be a positive and negative one in the same game. Hope he finally gets on the right side of that.

Old
12-16-2010, 12:06 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Gomez's game is based on creativity and finding his linemates, which he does on a consistent basis when playing at his level. I have no idea what you're getting at.
Gomez's game is based on speed, he is an explosive skater, one of the best in the league to carry the puck through the neutral zone but as I said, he struggles with his decision making or lack of offensive creativity call it like you want, he still has a hard time to be effective once the play is installed in the offensive zone..