HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver/Calgary

Old
12-25-2010, 12:49 PM
TacitEndorsement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Always liked Iginla, and would love to see him in the top 6 ...but this is unrealistic on many levels, as has been detailed above.

it does raise a good question though -- who is the deadline player that would put the canucks over the top ?

obviously cap is the huge issue, plus the chemistry we have with current guys .... but remember when the Wings acquired Shanny that year of their first cup ... who's that player for us? (yes, i know it was a pre-cap world)

is it just Sami Salo?
is it a trade like Bieksa for Langenbrunner?
is it noone, given our cap situation?

Merry Christmas
Nobody given our cap situation. I see Samuelsson, Alberts and Parent going to make room for Salo and Hodgson coming up late in the season. #pipedream

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:34 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Hodgeson? Jerome?

get it together, HFBoards

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Eesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
Hodgeson? Jerome?

get it together, HFBoards
I agree. Why would we want Jerome here? There is no desperation to win NOW. We have a solid team, with great depth and a great future crop of young stars. Really we would have to give up someone like Hodgeson to get Jerome. I don't want to have to watch Hodgeson take it to us in a Flames jersey and then have to live with the fact that we traded him away ala Cam Neely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Though I like Glencross, Glass plays a pretty similar role for the Canucks.

If the Canucks did trade for Glencross, Shirokov would likely be a player the Flames would be most interested in from the Canucks. The biggest problem would be if the Canucks could fit Glencross' salary in under the cap. Shirikov doesn't affect the Canucks cap problem right now.

How about a trade that involved Glencross and Morrison for Bieksa?
I don't want anything to do with Mo. If your worried about the cap problem why would you bring in Mo as well?? Just straight up Bieksa for Glencross and I'm a happy man. I don't think Bieksa is as bad as everyone thinks BUT I do think he hurts us more than he helps us.

I also would also like to see us move Samuelsson he has been marginal this year, but at the same time I think he has some trade value.

Eesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 04:22 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja View Post
The salary cap does not like your idea.
I'm not a cap expert, but the numbers will be very close with that lineup. Glencross/Mo don't make a lot.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 04:23 PM
ahmon

Sammuelsson might have been poor so far this season, but his performance in the playoffs last year makes him untradeable.

He was our best forward in the playoffs, and we need more of that this playoffs.

Old
12-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Sammuelsson might have been poor so far this season, but his performance in the playoffs last year makes him untradeable.

He was our best forward in the playoffs, and we need more of that this playoffs.
He's been improving lately too.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 04:37 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
He's been improving lately too.
Yeah he has. The thing is even if he struggles for the rest of year, we should still keep him. He has tons of experience and its only logical to assume that he will be one of our better forwards in the playoffs again.

Old
12-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4856
Quote:
Yeah he has. The thing is even if he struggles for the rest of year, we should still keep him. He has tons of experience and its only logical to assume that he will be one of our better forwards in the playoffs again.
Yeah, hopefully he's a stronger version of Wellwood. Wellwod Xtra (8% alcohol).

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 05:09 PM
GototheFlamestotheGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
While you are correct, you forgot to mention that Iginla is washed up, over the hill and overpaid for the remaining amount of his contract.

I wouldnt take Iginla personally as he'd simply ruin the chemistry and slow down whatever line he's on with his lack of speed.

Not worth the assets it would take to get him.
Yes, this over the hill, washed up guy is on pace for 74 points on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Not to mention, not having a consistent centerman to play with, let alone a top line center. Oh, and he's been scoring very consistently for the past 15-20 games, including 15 pts in the last 13 games. Once again, when coupled with a piss poor offensive group aside from Tanguay and Bourque (who he doesn't play with), those are some pretty solid numbers.

I think it is you who is underrating Iginla considerably.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 05:14 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
I'm not a cap expert, but the numbers will be very close with that lineup. Glencross/Mo don't make a lot.
Hot damn it works.

I don't think Calgary gives us Glencross though. Also Mo would be on the 4th not Manny. Still though it's nice to think about.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png‎ (33.9 KB, 17 views)

Old
12-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Momesso

While Iginla moving would mean Sutter is admitting defeat (in other words, highly unlikely), the price would indeed be astronomical for us.

I would gladly give up a deal including Hodgson for him.

I think the closest thing to a power forward we could realistically get is like a Dustin Penner, but even that would be difficult.

IMHO we do need one more forward who can go into dirty areas and score.

I agree that we need someone who can put us over the top.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

*sigh*

Quote:
sedin-sedin-burrows
raymond-kesler-tambellini
glencross-mo-sammy
torres-malhotra-hansen
Okay everyone knows we have no cap space right? Mo + Glencross = $2.1 mil (replacing about $1.1 mil)... that's an extra mil we do not have.

And why in the world would we have Malhotra on our 4th line??????

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 06:02 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GototheFlamestotheGo View Post
Yes, this over the hill, washed up guy is on pace for 74 points on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Not to mention, not having a consistent centerman to play with, let alone a top line center. Oh, and he's been scoring very consistently for the past 15-20 games, including 15 pts in the last 13 games. Once again, when coupled with a piss poor offensive group aside from Tanguay and Bourque (who he doesn't play with), those are some pretty solid numbers.

yeah, only the minority thinks that ...
he would be the primo deadline acquisition, were he to be made available ...but I don't expect him to be, and if he is, I figure Van is the last place he lands.

as for the Canucks, I don't see Gillis dumping either Samuelsson or Torres, as some have speculated ...those are the kind of guys you acquire for a run, not dump.

I don't know how they'll even fit Salo in, let along make a deadline acquisiton ...

I kind of think Bieksa is still most likely to go, and would need to be replaced by a cheap servicable D vet, to maintain some kind of depth.

then there's a possibility of a guy like Raymond being moved -- much as many would be loathe to do it, if we believe the emergence of Tambellini is real and a Raymond/Bieksa pkg (possibly with pick) to land a top 6 W upgrade + serviceable vet Dman is something I could see Gillis considering.

But again, hard to imagine who fits that bill -- affordable and enough of an upgrade to make shipping those guys out palatable. And of course is activating Salo is part of the plan, an outgoing Raymond/Bieksa pkg (-6M) could only take back +2.5M in salary or so. Maybe churning ALberts and Parent to entry level bumps that up close to another million, but ultimately I'm not sure that gets us anywhere better than where we are now...

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:10 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
*sigh*

Okay everyone knows we have no cap space right? Mo + Glencross = $2.1 mil (replacing about $1.1 mil)... that's an extra mil we do not have.

It does work, see the picture I attached in post #35. The lines are obviously a bit off but the roster itself is cap compliant.

Old
12-26-2010, 01:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:

I think you will be quite disappointed. Igilna's $7m lowers his value a lot because any team that really wants him would be a playoff team genuinely looking for the cup (mostly capped). Any high cap hit player playing well they would want to keep, any playing badly Calgary wouldn't want.

Flyers? Iggy for Pronger? Well that isn't going to happen.

SJ capped.

AVs rebuilding with youth.

Boston, capped and unlikely to want break their roster for Iggy.

You see many of those getting around with $7m in free capspace? I don't. Pengs need wingers but they aren't moving crosby or Malkin for him.

Wings? capped and they aren't trading Zetts or Lidstrom

Nucks? Raymond+Ballard is about all the Nucks could offer because they would need to free $7m in salary and that includes trading Bieksa somewhere. Nucks destroy their D depth this and lock up their salary cap for years.

What about the others?

LA would be the best option, I doubt anyone would trade a young stud like Doughty for Igilna. They would have to dump salary, you want to make a deal based around Igilna for prospects + Smyth as a salary dump going the other way? At the deadline would be a better option for LA.

There just are not a lot of fits for Iggy@$7m during the season, deadlines + injuries might change that, but $7m is hard to move.

Last edited by me2: 12-26-2010 at 01:41 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:

You're proving my point. He's regressing. Right now he's on pace for 32 goals. I'm guessing he gets around 25. He'll slump again between mid Jan and February. He's consistent for that atleast

15 pts in his last 13 games. How many did he have in his first 20?

For a guy who is supposed to be a franchise player and whatnot, should he be making those around him better? Seems like Kesler does that for his linemates.

Like I said. keep that overpaid slug. He'd be worth it in the 4mil range but not at the caphit he has.

I'm sure the Flames will hold onto him until he's worth nothing (another 8months) and then trade him for a 2nd round pick.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
LA would be the best option, I doubt anyone would trade a young stud like Doughty for Igilna. They would have to dump salary, you want to make a deal based around Igilna for prospects + Smyth as a salary dump going the other way? At the deadline would be a better option for LA.

Their just are not a lot of fits for Iggy@$7m during the season, deadlines + injuries might change that.
LA may be the right idea, but I couldnt see much more than Hickey, Roster player + Moller.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 881
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
When thinking about Iginla and his contract I started to realize something. Elite teams don't tend to spend much on their wingers with the thought process being that a good centre will make their wingers better. This is the problem the Flames face if they try to deal Jerome given that he would likely only accept a deal to a contender. Most of the contenders have already committed large chunks of their payroll to their centre's so Iginla's 7.5 wouldn't fit in the overall salary structure outside of maybe LA.

I'm a firm believer that you build a team down the middle and that it's much easier to find/develop complimentry wingers. What good are high paid wingers like Iginla, Nash, Kessel, etc without that stud centre? They can only do so much on their own.

Outside of a Suter or Weber type defenseman becoming available you aren't going to see another big ticket contract (5-6 mil+) show up on the Canucks. The canucks are deep now and the future on the wing and even if they weren't it would be silly to trade assets or invest a lot of salary at that position to one player.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 02:41 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
*sigh*

1. See Ganja's work, apparently it works out with the cap.

2. Why wouldn't we put malhotra on the 4th line?

- Mo has been playing with glencross in calgary and has more chemistry there.

-Malhotra doesn't seem to have much chemistry with sammy. I doubt we will see samuelsson on the 4th line. So it only makes sense to put glencross-mo-sammy together.

-Mo even at his age has the higher offensive ceiling than malhotra.

-And putting malhotra on the 4th line, takes none of his strengths aways.

-He still could be the key faceoff man, a key member of the pk and can provide energy.

One lesson the coaching staff should have learned is the importance of rolling 4 lines in the playoffs.

Again all this is speculation, I doubt calgary trades glencross to us.

Old
12-26-2010, 04:14 AM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
1. See Ganja's work, apparently it works out with the cap.

2. Why wouldn't we put malhotra on the 4th line?

- Mo has been playing with glencross in calgary and has more chemistry there.

-Malhotra doesn't seem to have much chemistry with sammy. I doubt we will see samuelsson on the 4th line. So it only makes sense to put glencross-mo-sammy together.

-Mo even at his age has the higher offensive ceiling than malhotra.

-And putting malhotra on the 4th line, takes none of his strengths aways.

-He still could be the key faceoff man, a key member of the pk and can provide energy.

One lesson the coaching staff should have learned is the importance of rolling 4 lines in the playoffs.

Again all this is speculation, I doubt calgary trades glencross to us.
I think what he's saying is this,

sedin-sedin-burrows
raymond-kesler-tambellini
torres-malhotra-hansen
glencross-mo-sammy

Exact same lines, just this makes it appear as if Manny will get more icetime.

Old
12-26-2010, 04:16 AM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
While Iginla moving would mean Sutter is admitting defeat (in other words, highly unlikely), the price would indeed be astronomical for us.

I would gladly give up a deal including Hodgson for him.

I think the closest thing to a power forward we could realistically get is like a Dustin Penner, but even that would be difficult.

IMHO we do need one more forward who can go into dirty areas and score.

I agree that we need someone who can put us over the top.
You should watch more Calgary games because Iginla does NOT go to those dirty areas anymore. He plays a sniper game nowadays. Any thoughts of him being a power forward is pure nostalgia.

Old
12-26-2010, 11:21 PM
The Vinstar

Iginla? lol noty, i'd rather gretzky come back from retirement.

The Vinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:07 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

guys GUYS!!! We are forgetting the MOST IMPORTANT THING HERE!!!

When we get Jerome for Hodgeson, what jersey # will he wear!

12 is retired, 21 and 22 is taken! What is he gonna choose, 2? 32? OH GOD

Even 29, his # when came into league, is taken!

Last edited by John Swartzwelder: 12-27-2010 at 12:12 AM.
John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Blackjackz

Quote:

Chalk me up as a BIG Iginla fan.. the guy has been one of the premiere power forwards in this league for the past 10+ years, and a huge contributor to Team Canada, not to mention a leader and all-round class act (ahem.. case in point, Linden's last game). And while I think he has a world of hockey still left in the tank, his CAP hit in the new Salary Cap era will make him a difficult to trade, because there are precious few teams who would be able to afford him, and which are contenders (assuming a non-contender is not going to be in the running). Not a slight on Iginla, just a sign of the times. That being said, so long as he is not playing Vancouver, Go #12... and this is coming from a man who hates pretty much everything Calgary.. except the ladies of course..

Blackjackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Eesh

If we trade CoHo for Iggy. I may have to think about finding another team. It doesn't make sense to trade a marquee blue chip prospect for a weathered Vet who has never won a cup and whos best years are behind him. That and I wouldn't be able to stomach watching CoHo take it to us for years to come.

Eesh is offline   Reply With Quote