HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Boxing Day Win 3-2 over Oilers - "Beeska" scores with 24 seconds left

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Canucks Boxing Day Win 3-2 over Oilers - "Beeska" scores with 24 seconds left

NOTE the 6 pm start time.

______
OILERS (12-15-6) at CANUCKS (20-8-5)

Broadcast - TV: SNET-P(HD) Radio: TEAM 1040

Will the Canucks be weighed down with too much turkey or will they come out flying as they did against CBJ? Can the Sedins continue to feast on the opposition? Can Kesler continue his other-worldly play? Can Kevin Bieksa get though a game without a brain cramp? Will Alain Vigneault learn how to use a time out? Can Luongo get through a game without allowing at least one WTF goal?

Vancouver is coming out of the Christmas break red-hot, with just one regulation loss in the last 13 games (10-1-2).

The Canucks lead the Oilers by 15 points but in two previous meetings the Canucks managed two victories but only by one goal in each game. 4-3 and 2-1 wins with both games played in Edmonton. The Canucks are looking for their seventh win in eight games against the Oilers.

Canucks @ Oilers 11/2/10 ~ 4-3 win

Canucks @ Oilers 12/12/10 ~ 2-1 win (Luongo lost the shutout with 5 seconds remaining)

Last 10 games - Edmonton 5-3-2; Vancouver 7-1-2

EXPECTED LINEUPS

CANUCKS

Forwards
D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows
Tambellini-Kesler-Hansen
Torres-Malhotra-Samuelsson
Glass-Bolduc-Volpatti

Defence
Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Ballard

Goal
Schneider

OILERS

Forwards
Eberle-Gagner-Hall
Penner-Cogliano-Paajarvi
Omark-O’Marra-Jones
Jacques-Fraser-Stortini

Defence
Whitney-Strudwick
Peckham-Gilbert
Smid-Foster

Goal
Khabibulin

Here is how the numbers match up:

Code:
 Stats 	
33 	GP 	33
12 	W 	20
15 	L 	8
6 	OT 	5
30 	P 	45
.455	P% 	.682
2.61 	G/G 	3.36
3.27 	GA/G 2.54
16.5 	PP% 	24.4
71.4 	PK% 	85.1
25.7 	S/G 	30.7
34.5 	SA/G 	29.2
44.9 	FO% 	57.2
By any statistical measure this should be a Canucks victory - but games are played on the ice and not on stats sheets.

The Oilers D can be exploited with pressure and a down low cycle game.

Vancouver is tied for the league lead on the power play at 24.4 percent while Edmonton's penalty kill ranks last at 71.4 percent so if the Oilers start taking penalties, it could be over early.

BREAKING NEWS:

Roberto Luongo was expected to start - he is 17-5-2 with a 2.03 GAA in 24 starts against Edmonton since joining the Canucks in 2006, including 6-1-0 with a 1.86 GAA in his last seven.

But like Ryan and Andrea Kesler recently The Family Luongo is expecting an express delivery by the stork so Schneider makes his second straight start as the expectant father Roberto Luongo sits:
Vancouver Canuck No. 1 goalie Roberto Luongo will watch his understudy, rookie Cory Schneider, start tonight against the Edmonton Oilers , which is most unusual considering Schneider also started the Canucks' last game before the Christmas break.

But there's apparently nothing sinister involved. Luongo's wife Gina is expecting the couple's second child and is in south Florida awaiting the birth. Luongo spent the Christmas break in Florida and arrived late last night – at 11:30 p.m., or 2:30 a.m. on his body clock – while Schneider spent his two days off in Vancouver in the right time zone.

“This was the plan heading into the break,” Schneder explained following the Canucks' morning skate at Rogers Arena. “Lou is kind of back and forth with his wife and they said be ready for a few starts and, sure enough, here it is.They told me after the game in Columbus [7-3 win Thursday] that I would be playing again tonight. I guess it's to give him a longer break, or a mid-season break.”

Luongo merely shrugged when queried about not starting for a second straight game.

“I got in late last night and coach wanted to give me the day off,” Luongo said. “If you look at our schedule, it's going to get pretty crazy. We have two guys who are capable of playing and I think it was a good idea to have Schneids start tonight.”

Canuck head coach Alain Vigneault did not quite explain the situation in the same manner, however.

“It's his [Schneider's] time to play,” Vigneault said, not offering the travel-and-fatigue explanation for Luongo's backup role tonight.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz19Fd5dYV0

RIFT????

Cory Schneider has yet to lose in regulation this season, with a record of 4-0-2, a GAA of 2.64 and save percentage of .913.

Nikolai Khabibulin is 0-5-1 with a 3.79 GAA in his last six games at Vancouver while backup Devan Dubnyk is 0-1-1 with a 2.50 GAA in two career starts versus the Canucks.

Goalie Stats:
Code:
Edmonton 	        GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	GAA 	SO 	SV%
Nikolai Khabibulin 	22 	8 	12 	2 	3.40 	2 	.899
Devan Dubnyk 	11 	2 	3 	4 	2.95 	0 	.916
Martin Gerber 	2 	2 	0 	0 	1.50 	0 	.950

Vancouver 	        GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	GAA 	SO 	SV%
Roberto Luongo 	27 	16 	8 	3 	2.50 	2 	.913
Cory Schneider 	8 	4 	0 	2 	2.64 	0 	.913
Individual Stat Leaders
Code:
         Edmonton                  Vancouver
G	Taylor Hall      11 	Daniel Sedin 18
A	Ryan Whitney  25 	Henrik Sedin 35
PTS	Ryan Whitney  26 	Henrik Sedin 43
PIM	Theo Peckham 73 	Kevin Bieksa 36
SOG	Taylor Hall      95 	Ryan Kesler 104

Injury List

Canucks - Mason Raymond (broken thumb), Sami Salo (Achilles tendon) and Rick Rypien (personal leave}

Oilers - Ales Hemsky (groin), Shawn Horcoff (knee) and Jim Vandermeer (ankle). Game time decision - Gilbert Brule (flu-like symptoms) is questionable. Brule now confirmed out with a stomach virus

The Canucks best take the Oilers seriously as Coach Vigneault cautions:
“We played one of our better games this year in their building,” coach Alain Vigneault said of that 2-1 game. “When I say to everybody there are no bad teams in this league and you have got to be on top of your game, there’s the example there. It took our best game to beat them 2-1.

“They are a good team, they are trying to improve every day, they have great young skilled players, so you have to be at your best.”
Keith Ballard agrees:
“They are very good and they are going to be very good for a long time,” he said. “They have a ton of speed, a ton of skill. You see them making a lot of plays and they don’t seem timid. They don’t seem like they are questioning themselves and thinking maybe they don’t belong. They are doing a very good job, they are coming in and playing hard and they are using the abilities and the skills that got them here.”
And Dan Hamhuis:
“I think they are the real deal,” added Hamhuis. “They are a real challenge to play against. They have a lot of young players and it is going to be a dangerous team in a couple of years. Even this year they are. They have that potential with so much skill to really explode. You have to do a really good job of keeping control of that skill and keeping everything outside as best you can.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Can...#ixzz19Cw4djTG

Oilers last two games and what they need to do to compete with the Canucks:

Edmonton is coming off a 3-2 shootout loss to the Kings in L.A. and a two-game swing in California that also saw them lose 2-1 to San Jose. Yes, they are still last in the West, but they came away feeling confident they can compete with the conference’s better teams. The Oilers were outshot 32-12 in the last game with Vancouver, which is something they’ll need to address tonight.

“We have to penetrate this team,” said Oilers head coach Tom Renney. “They do a great job of protecting their goaltender and when they’ve got the puck they don’t give it back. The big thing for us is to make sure we play like we can and really make the net the end point.”

Renney on facing back-up Schneider, instead of Luongo: “Roberto, obviously, is well documented as a goaltender. Schneider we know a little less about, but we’ve got people in our organization that know him so we’ll tap into that.”
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...l/default.aspx

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 12-27-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old
12-25-2010, 04:08 PM
CF

Destroy them.

Old
12-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Will the Canucks be weighed down with too much turkey or will they come out flying as they did against CBJ? Can the Sedins continue to feast on the opposition? Can Kesler continue his other-worldly play? Can Kevin Bieksa get though a game without a brain cramp? Will Alain Vigneault learn how to use a time out? Can Luongo get through a game without allowing at least one WTF goal?
Will the Canucks be weighed down with too much turkey or will they come out flying as they did against CBJ?

They should come out flying. Welly and SOB are anchoring down other teams now. Ballard is a wild card.

Can the Sedins continue to feast on the opposition?

With the Oilers defense? Like my fat nephew is going to feast on mashed potatoes and gravy in about 3 hours.

Can Kesler continue his other-worldly play?

See directly above.

Can Kevin Bieksa get though a game without a brain cramp?

He's been on a steady regimen of TPA this season. Stop your worrying.

Will Alain Vigneault learn how to use a time out?

He does it to annoy people who forget that he has the highest winning percentage out of any coach in Canucks history. He treats the disbelievers like Torts treats Brooksie. I like that.

Can Luongo get through a game without allowing at least one WTF goal?

He has 2 shutouts this year so yes, yes he can. With 27 games played to this point his chances are 7.407 percent of getting through tomorrow without one WTF goal. Obviously though, the odds of him letting in one WTF goal are significantly higher than not. And unfortunately, based on only 3 games (Det., Chi., Min.), the odds of him letting in at least two are also higher than him not allowing any at all.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 12-25-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old
12-25-2010, 04:21 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Just win baby.

Old
12-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Canucks vs Oilers

Stars vs Coyotes

Red Wings vs Wild

There's a solid chance we can come out first in the conference tomorrow.

Old
12-25-2010, 04:49 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Canucks vs Oilers

Stars vs Coyotes

Red Wings vs Wild

There's a solid chance we can come out first in the conference tomorrow.
Wings will win, no worries.

Old
12-25-2010, 04:52 PM
JBIZ14

Old
12-25-2010, 05:02 PM
El Duderino

Going to this game, pretty excited. It's only going to be my second game of the season, so I really hope it's not a stinker of a game. My prediction: 5-3 Canucks. Goals from Daniel Sedin x2, Tambo, Malhotra and Edler.

Old
12-25-2010, 05:11 PM
ddawg1950

Just want the W...buuuutttt...I'd love the twins to reclaim their Twin Towers Of Destruction label against the Oilers. What we saw during the CBJ game made me remember what true offensive creativity looks like: Daniel's backhand pass to Henrik is a perfect example. On first take, it almost looks like a twin mind reader goal...or even a lucky goal...and then on the replay you see Daniel glance back over his shoulder, just for a milisecond, before he puts the backhander between the goalie and the Columbus D-man right onto Henrik's blade. Perfection.

I'd like the Canucks to remind the Oilers what a real winning hockey team looks like. And I'm not overconfident, cause like they say, in one game anaything can happen. But I also know what our guys are capable of when they come hard.

Old
12-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
**** them up

Old
12-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Virtanev
+

Kesler
Burrows
Daniel
Ehrhoff

Old
12-25-2010, 06:05 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Just win baby.
Can we not be like Leaf fans and fill our GDTs with "Just win baby."s before we've even rung in the new year?

kthxbai

Old
12-25-2010, 06:10 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

box the **** out of them on boxing day

4-0 Lu will be solid

Old
12-25-2010, 06:11 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Just win baby.
way to set the standard low...

Old
12-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

Let's eat their hearts!!!

.........Too much?

Old
12-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Can't wait for this one.

Hoping for a Canucks win but the Oilers have really impressed me their last couple of games. Looking forward to a good and fast paced game.

Old
12-25-2010, 06:34 PM
IKEA

Kill Kill Kill

Old
12-25-2010, 06:39 PM
YogiCanucks

Theo Peckham is going to destroy the Sedins all the way into 2011

Old
12-25-2010, 07:04 PM
xtr3m

Do it for Dan Ellis.

Old
12-25-2010, 08:01 PM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Oilers fans are becoming more obnoxious by the minute. They really need another serving of humble pie.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=856947&page=4

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=822621&page=39

Old
12-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Oilers fans are becoming more obnoxious by the minute. They really need another serving of humble pie.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=856947&page=4

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=822621&page=39
Oilers fans are worse than Flames fans. At least the Oilers fans have something to look forward to and have jumped back on the wagon of Canucks being chokers and how they're going to win a stanley cup in 3 years as soon as they draft Larsson, Jesus and sign Crosby in free agency

Old
12-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
1. Edmonton has the best ice in the league? Since when?

2. Canucks are chokers? News to me. They lost their last 3 playoff appearances to teams that were better on paper and the ice.

a. 2007 Anaheim - 5 more points than the Vancouver Cinderella Luongo's. Better team on paper, and went on to win the Stanley Cup in just 21 playoff games.

b. 2009 Chicago - Had 4 more points than the Canucks in the regular season. Better team on paper, and was the better team on the ice, albeit won the series early due to a Luongo meltdown. The only reason the series was predicted to be in Canucks favour was to the dinosaur media-created symptom/excuse called "Playoff Inexperience".

c. 2010 Chicago - Had 9 more points than the 'Nucks and had 1 poor showing to start the series. The Hawks were the better team on paper (I actually had them winning the Cup at the start of the year vs Philly) and were the much better team on the ice. They went on to win the Cup in a total 22 playoff games, so they must have done something right.

Most Oiler fans are insecure trolls I find, some of the trolls are actually very intelligent when it comes to hockey, but their insecurity leads them to trolling. I don't listen to them, but the above needed to be said.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Songs will be sung.

It will be glorious.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:49 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Most Oiler fans are insecure trolls I find, some of the trolls are actually very intelligent when it comes to hockey, but their insecurity leads them to trolling. I don't listen to them, but the above needed to be said.
I don't bother with arguing with Calgary/Edmonton fans. Most of their comebacks revolve around their teams being at the Cup finals more recent than ours.

Old
12-25-2010, 11:14 PM
medhatcanuck

It would be nice to see Henrik get another 4 point night.
It would also be nice to see Kesler score another hat trick.
It would be so nice to see Luongo have a good game.
It would be so nice to see Daniel pot a few.

But most of all it would be nice to shut the Oilers fans up. I've never heard a 2nd to last place team yap so much besides the Maple Leafs. May the Leafs and Oiler stay in the basement forever.
amen.

Closed Thread