HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

How would you solve our powerplay woes?

Old
01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
jwh37

vCash: 500
Most of you have hit it ont he head. Movement. You've got an extra man, so why not let him roam? Ovie should NOT be on the point. Why? Because when he is, the defense knows right where he is at all times. They've put one of the most creative offensive players in the least creative position. he has two options....slap shot one-timer, or pass. Put two defensemen on the poinits, Ovie Backstrom and Laich up front. The three up front should be rotating, so that Ovie goes from the right boards, to behind the net, to the left boards and eventualy he'll wind up right next to the net for a tap in. If the d knows where everyone is goign to be, then it makes it very easy to defend. Movement is key, and Ovie has got to start moving around without the puck and finding seams. If they do that, they will score a ton of PP goals.

I'm amazed that Bruce and the coaches have not noticed that they all five get out there, plant their feet and basically only take slaop shots fromt he tops of the circles. Terrible!

jwh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

IMO Backstrom needs to shart shooting. He has a decent shot but he has become so pass happy lately that other teams dont pressure him too much and its basically a 4v4 with Backstrom not being pressured with the puck.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
OVrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Semin's saucer pass is less reliable than Semin doing something ****fancy with the puck.

Ovechkin's shot is weak right now but he can still work the boards and pass fairly well. Also, moving him to the side-wall opens up the shooting lanes for Green and Carlson.
Ovechkin's shot is not weak, the other teams just shadow him to block shooting lanes. Backstrom and Green need to start shooting the puck on the PP, I've lost count of how many times Green has passed up a good shot from the point. The majority of our PP is spent with Backstrom, Ovechkin and Green passing the puck back and forth with no movement or quality shots.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps power play:

right point: 52
left point: 8
left half wall: 28
right half wall: 19
crease: 22 or 21

ask yourself honestly.

is carlson going to be better than ovechkin? is ovechkin going to be better than semin? is carlson going to be better than either of them?

lets put ovechkin in front of the net and see how many times semin carlson and green can hit him with slap shots. that might improve the power play. it really might, but it would do nothing to get ovechkin going again.

facts are that if the Caps are going to get ovechkin going again they are going to have to leave him where he is.

one more thing. Ovechkin plays the same spot on the Caps pp as Stamkos does. Its a rotation play. Ovechkin slides up and down from center point to almost all the way down to the left goal post. The rotation is what sets up the one timer from the left circle. Its the same rotation that tampa bay uses Stamkos is at the TB left point almost as often as Ovechkin is. The main difference is that the Caps rotate to shoot two players from that LW spot(8 and 28) while the Lightning shoot one player from either circle(91 and 4).
In the Caps set up Backstrom doesnt shoot like Vinny does.

Either way the rotation is the same.

Last, Ovechkin has not played the left half wall since around the time Boudreau took over. The alternative was using 28 at the left point and thats proved to be more dangerous and less productive than using 8 there.
First, I like your ideas.

One but....

Did no research, this is coming just from observation, but it seems to me that most teams are having PP issues. I think it's because the coaches have the players blocking the lanes, and blocking them, and the shot, effectively.... something you didn't see in the past.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
txpd

i dont think bombs away, get traffic and rebounds works so much anymore. the pucks dont get thru to the net

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

2 units.

Left Point: Ovechkin
Right Point: Carlson
Left Half Boards: Green
Right Half Boards: Backstrom
Crease: Knuble

Left Point: Poti
Right Point: Green
Left Half Boards: Semin
Right Half Boards: Backstrom/Fehr
Crease: Laich

Having a respectable shot on the right point would at a minimum shake things up a bit.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
jwh37

The number of shots isn't the problem. It's the quality of the shots. If your best option ont he PP is a slap shot fromt he top of the circles, then you're doing something very wrong. The whole point of having an extyra man is so he can end up sneaking behind the defense and making himslef open next to the net for an easy goal from a cross-ice pass.

The pass around and bombs away approach is just NOT effective, and it never will be.

jwh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh37 View Post
The number of shots isn't the problem. It's the quality of the shots. If your best option ont he PP is a slap shot fromt he top of the circles, then you're doing something very wrong. The whole point of having an extyra man is so he can end up sneaking behind the defense and making himslef open next to the net for an easy goal from a cross-ice pass.

The pass around and bombs away approach is just NOT effective, and it never will be.
LA Kings say "hi"

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
i dont think bombs away, get traffic and rebounds works so much anymore. the pucks dont get thru to the net
I think if we got more movement from ALL players on the powerplay (not just the ones passing and received the puck) we can open up shooting/passing lanes. Movement goes a long ways in confusing the defense.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Devil Dancer

Another vote for movement. The Caps got some good looks last night when Green pinched in from his point spot, as he used to do in his most successful offensive season. For whatever reason TB let him do it, but the execution failed.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Less point-to-point-to-halfboards-to-point passing. If the defense is pressing the points and leaving the man on the halfboards more or less open, he needs to take the puck low or around the back of the net. Force the defense to come to him. Whoever is then opened up, needs to then set themselves up in prime real estate for a quality shot, and the crease man and/or the halfboards player needs to set up for the rebound.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:39 PM
EroCaps

I would put John Carlson on it and take Alex Semin off it. That immediately raises the collective on-ice IQ about 50 points. Move Ovy to Semin's spot on the half wall where he's just as likely to find Green or Backstrom on the backdoor pass.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
+1 on Carlson. Over almost anyone on PP1 really. More important than solving our up and down PP in January, is to intergrate Carlson onto PP1. That way if Green is ineffective come April, Carlson isn't going to get Corvo'd and tossed out onto the PP in the middle of a series where he has no nada zippy experience or chemistry with the big boys.

I am not sold on a full movement agenda. We can barely go tape to tape with only one guy moving. I would like to see a PPPC attempted, a power play passing clinic. With our skill level, we shouldn't have to go screener 24/7. Semin and Laich out, Carlson and MJ in. MJ could use the experience too.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Honestly.

I'd play a line of Hendricks - Steckel - Beagle with Carlson and Alzner on the points.

See what happens.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
See what happens.
Turnovers down low. Lots and lots of turnovers down low.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Turnovers down low. Lots and lots of turnovers down low.
You sure about that? Last night at the end of the second...that line had great pressure in the O zone.

That's what drives me bonkers about the existing PP. There is no urgency to keep in down low. They just give up and allow the other teams to clear.

Im fine with turnovers down low as long as they are trying like hell.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I'd go back to 8-28-52-21-19 and then as others have said, move it around..the puck and players. I think once it breaks open it'll be back to normal.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
1st PP Unit

Chimera - Steckel - Knuble

Laich - Green

Just crash the net every chance you get, put 2 guys infront of the goalie instead of 1.
Simple solution. You skill guys want to play cute ****? ok. You guys sit the effffffff down. grinders, you're up. Make it happen.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
MugCostanza

Seems like the caps need to work on their passing, crisper passes and stop trying to force a pass that will probably fail. Better screening also.

MugCostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Wow have times have changed. We dont even try that back door play to Ovi sliding up and down that left side. Our screens are useless other than perhaps sometimes occupying a defender.

I think abandoning the screen, and going with more finesse instead of a screener 24/7, is still worth a look. IIWBB I would pull out some old tape of Edmonton circa 1985. Did they HAVE to have Cement Head Semenko in front to score? Hell no. They did it with passing as I recall.

I got it, lets try the QB behind the net, like 99 used to do.

Messier = Ovi
Gretz = Backstrom
Kurri = Semin
Coffey = Green
Cant Remember = Carlson

That's not bad in terms of matching offensive skill levels.

Its not really rocket science what 99 did behind the net. I think Nick could do a little damage from there, he is no slouch with the puck and a little time. Sure 99 isnt Nick, but Nick isnt even Nick, so lets try something radically different. C'mon Bruce, I know you are looking for a new idea.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old
01-13-2011, 02:42 PM
txpd

oh, the main problem with the screens has been that the point shots dont get thru. they hit the up front pk'rs or they hit the screener or the screener's check. i when half your pp shots get blocked, traffic infront of the goaltender cant be a big problem.

i'm almost with you on the 99 office idea. the problem with that and Ov being down by the net to finish is that the entire pk will be packed down there to keep Ov from getting that pass.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

One thing that drives me bat-**** crazy about the PP is the point men trying to keep in pucks up the boards with their sticks. Obviously Ovie and Green are the main culprits, but Poti and Carlson will do it as well.

Pin your freaking body to the boards and keep the puck in. Its going to bounce over your stick more often than not.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
oh, the main problem with the screens has been that the point shots dont get thru. they hit the up front pk'rs or they hit the screener or the screener's check. i when half your pp shots get blocked, traffic infront of the goaltender cant be a big problem.

i'm almost with you on the 99 office idea. the problem with that and Ov being down by the net to finish is that the entire pk will be packed down there to keep Ov from getting that pass.
With Carlson and Green on the points and Semin on the halfboards, there are enough other scorers that it should force the defense to pay for overcommitting to Ovechkin.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I think our shots from the point may be off goal more often than not getting through to utilize the screener. Either way, the screener is not being used. Again, can anyone remember a screener successfully screening the G for a goal? Sure they score on goal mouth scrambles sometimes, but we can crash the net on shots and get that same result.

Carlson - 0 PPGs. Really? It sucks Poti is hurting because I think his offense is what distinquishes him from all the LD's. But perhaps Green 5PPG and maybe more specifically Ovi 2PPG for the full 2 minute PP just flat out are not getting it done on the points. Sloppy play, keep ins, passes, wild shots, not shooting, whatever it is, bottom line. We can debate and sugar coat it all day. But those two are like the same player out there. I want a change. Maybe try 90 on the point on PP2.

Who is our PP QB, anyways?

------------19--------------
-----------[ G ]-------------
------8-----------28--------
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
------74-------------52-----

You want diagrams - ha! Dont make me start run mspaint.

That is a lot of firepower for Nick to eyeball. All right twigs though.... hmmm.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-13-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: ton of changes damnit
Old
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
With Carlson and Green on the points and Semin on the halfboards, there are enough other scorers that it should force the defense to pay for overcommitting to Ovechkin.
except thats not really true. with the puck behind the net and one pk'r and each post protecting against the pass out front. the guy behind the net will not have a passing lane to a shooter. it will take two passes to get to a shooter and by then the pk will have reset.

this is why backstrom generally works out of the corner. if he can seam pass, the puck can be shot off his pass or he can step to the net himself.