HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you solve our powerplay woes?

Old
01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Who is our PP QB, anyways? backstrom is.

------------19--------------
---------PK[ G ]PK-----------
------8-----------28--------
--------PK-----PK------------
-----------------------------
------74-------------52-----

you see...19 is trapped back there. he has no direct passing lane to the front. if he tries the near pk forward collapses immediately to outnumber 8 or 28.

he is forced to pass around the boards to the point player.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

There's no need to tiptoe around it. Green's point shot is nothing special and rarely gets through. And Ovie....well something is up there. Regardless, if they want defections and screened point shots to be a large component of the pp, and I think they do, then they should adjust the personnel on the points.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

you see...19 is trapped back there. he has no direct passing lane to the front. if he tries the near pk forward collapses immediately to outnumber 8 or 28.

So you're happy with no movement world? You can make similar diagrams for our current set up and say how nobody can pass. It's movement that creates opportunities.

If 19 starts moving towards either post, the PKer has to engage him. In which case it opens up either 8 or 28 for a quick pass. If the PKer over the top comes down to meet 8/28, it then opens up the point and starts to collapse the PK to all around the crease (in which case you can use lateral motion to find open shots and crash the net for rebounds).

Conversly, 8 or 28 can move out to the half-boards to stretch the PK box, which opens up seems for the point men to get shots from the top of the circles and/or run a rotation play.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:09 PM
txpd

where did i say that? i am just saying that there is a reason nobody uses the 99 office play anymore. i showed why.

while movement is good, its important to note that opposing teams are moving with 8 and 52 to take away their time and space. when the puck is passed to backstrom, they stay with ovechkin and green. when ovechkin and green move they dont actually get open. backstrom is open all the time. which is why backstrom being so blotto this season is killing the team.

green's movement with and without the puck has increased and he has been capable of making a play to beat a pk'r and make things happen. he actually has two ppg's in the last few games. ov cant seem to beat his momma to make a play this season.
look where the caps ppg's have come from. its the other three players. the lesser three. that is the game plan vs the caps pp. they play the points man to man and force the caps into the 3 on 2 down low. til the caps score regularly down there, this wont change.

right now the entire nhl is saying they want backstrom to beat them. he is not responding to the challenge at all.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
There's no need to tiptoe around it. Green's point shot is nothing special and rarely gets through. And Ovie....well something is up there. Regardless, if they want defections and screened point shots to be a large component of the pp, and I think they do, then they should adjust the personnel on the points.
John Carlson needs to be on it, for one. His shot generally gets through and he's willing to take the initiative more than half the guys on the #1 unit.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Lately I think Backstrom isn't taking risks and refusing to make cross-ice passes. Numerous times I see some seem open... but Nicky is passing all the way back to Green.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Mojohand

what about puck possession? i've seen them get tangled up against the boards, fighting for the puck way too often on the power play while the opposing team is killing off time on the penalty. it drives me nuts to see them not being able to control and possess the puck when they have a man advantage.

the puck movement seems kind of sluggish too, like they're just a moment too late in making that crisp pass to someone.

Mojohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Robert Theodorson

Wouldn't it be nice if Gonchar was on a 1 year contract and the Sens were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? There is your insta-fix

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:43 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if Gonchar was on a 1 year contract and the Sens were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? There is your insta-fix
Picking up a guy like Gonchar is going in the opposite direction for the team build. No thanks

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:50 PM
artilector

I just remember casually suggesting to try Ovechkin in front, and getting slaughtered here -- "hey moron, how can we lose that amazing shot of his". Amazing to the tune of how many powerplay goals this year?

I like having the idea of Ovechkin playing in front not as a conventional screener, but as a guy fishing for rebounds, creating havoc, and more importantly, sliding out to get open for a one timer below the slots. Maybe if the defense collapses around him, it would open some other passing or shooting lanes.. maybe not.

The 99 office idea sounds not bad, but I have a feeling that teams nowadays just collapse and send somebody behind the net real quick to flush out the playmaker. Maybe only Gretz could pull it off. Still worth a try, why not.

Maybe the office idea could work with an umbrella setup:

__<--MP85/NB19-->__
_______|''''''''|_______
__Ovechkin/Knuble___
Semin______Backstrom/MP85
____Green/Ovechkin_____

Perreault would be aN "office rover" who could pop out quickly on whatever side he's needed, go to the net with his nose for rebounds, and make good passes, too, to cutting Semin/Backstrom, or just throw it in front for Ovi to bang at. Backstrom would look to feed Green at the vertex, Semin across, or Ovechkin sliding out, with Perreault available as a safety and a way to quickly change passing angles. Green would shoot, and one of the guys on the walls could sweep in for rebounds (the other staying high to guard against a break), together with Ovi and Perreault popping out.

It's risky because Green is alone and also its easier for defense to clear.. but I think a setup like this might have some teeth. A guy like Perreault in this scheme, whose position is not pinned down, is hard for the defense to account for, adding some much needed unpredictability to the Caps PP.

But yeah, regardless, the Caps probably don't have the personnel to be a very effective "just throw pucks on net" PP. You need people who excel at chasing pucks and winning board battles for that. So they need to somehow find a way to make some plays.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:00 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 900
Quote:

Can you diagram how 99 wasn't trapped back there? Or where the PK'ers were?

I think he can take one step right or left and pass it in either direction to the front of the net. Cant he take one step to his left and pull a wrap? He just needs to be on his backhand half the time. Forehand to backhand over and over until the goalie or Dman turns their head the wrong way and boom. It forces the Dman to turn his back away from Ovi. And Semin. The goalie is feebly trying to look over his shoulder. Jumping post to post. He needs to thread passes through and around the dmen. Its worth a shot. When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose.

I think giving him a left twig in the left wing dot could help.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-14-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added more f'ing details
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:04 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:

That is because this is set up incorrectly from what Sather and the boys use to do!!!!! 8-28 are to tight and depending on what winger slides wide, opposite side d-man slides in. Got to know the system before saying it will not work.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
txpd

ok...here we go. peter puck in spanish! gretzky in his office. at the time on the pk one defenseman was in front of the net regardless. it was a rule. the red wings let him stand back there with a clear passing lane out front. the leafs dont move that d from in front of the net til gretzky moves out from behind.

now days that rule of having a d in front of the net no longer stands when someone goes into gretzky's office.

Old
01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Punjabi peter pucky, pretty pressive presentation Pex. I don't remember old school PK setups, to be honest. But i believe the modern day defensemen will commit and come behind the net and try and flush you out.

So Backy would have to be quick and ready for it and step to the opposite side. At least it may buy a moment that will take the defensemen's eyes off of Ovi, and the goalie hopefully wont know which side its going. When the D commits, the wingers have to move towards to a place to receive the pass. Both, so the G cant read the play.

Maybe its best tried in the modern day 5 on 3.

Old
01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
txpd

* players get hung up behind the net on the pp occasionally and thats the correct term. the D go to both goal posts and then take away the pass. they may flush, but more often they just let him stand there with no good options and let the clock tick.

* on the 5 on 3 no team stands behind the net. they stand beside the net. from there they can pass thru the crease(which you cant do behind the net). they can pass to the slot. they can pass to the point for a shot(cant from behind the net). they can shoot at the net themselves.

a player will skate thru behind the net without stopping and can make a play that way, but standing there behind the net doesnt work anymore.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:00 AM
sunnydaycrash

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...o-fi.html#more

Great piece....appears Ovy and Green spend too much time on the PP and that Carlson should get more time....who knew?

I digress but it`s nice to see it confirmed, now if only the coaching staff would read it.

Great line in the article :"One definition of insanity is doing the same things and expecting different results, so now is the time to make some changes."

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

TXPD, it sounds like you should be in the game.

I know you want Ovi on the point. But he does not play where Stamkos plays as you suggest. Contradicting you further, I think Carlson will be a better point man than Ovi will. Dare I think Ovi not having to chase down forwards on clears, he may have more energy to excel on the back half of the PP. Carlson is presumably better at keep ins, getting pucks low at the net, and playing defense, when needed. If not now, soon. But not if we rarely play him on PP1 because Green and Ovi are our points 24/7. Anyways.

What's your solution?

Old
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
txpd

lets see what happens. my point has always been that stamkos and ovechkin get into the same shooting position. maybe from different starting points. but they shoot from the same spot. stamkos rotates up and shoots from the point almost as much as ovechkin.

i think that ovechkin scores nothing when moved down low. of course he is scoring nothing now. lets see if carlson can score something.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

So you dont have a new solution really. You just want to Ovi keep roaming up and down that left side. That's fine. But I think something has to give on the points, and it can start with new blood on the point.

But like usual, I disagree. Ovi can score down low like every other forward we have can. Nothing? You sure choose strong words.

I think the easiest thing to do try different people. Sorry Nick. Sorry Laich. Sorry Knuble. Try MJ, try Carlson, try Fehr. With Semin out, lets try out next best skilled forward. I contend its MJ.

But MJ only gets PP time with Chimera, and a taxed Green and Ovi. At least he is getting more time of late, but that PP2 looks really bad. We dont have a PP1. That must be addressed before 2 can be expected to score.

Old
01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
BamaCapsFan

Sit Ovie.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
WheatiesHockey

My buddy and I were discussing the Caps pp just this morning over coffee.
When a team with the Caps talent is clipping along at 8% efficiency there is a problem. With that kind of performance there is no point in trying to get fancy or dreaming up new tactics.
It is a combination of factors that produces such poor performance. The defense is not jumping into the play or taking a lane when one is available. There is not enough disturbance in front of the other teams net during the power play. The key to any power play is patiently controlling the puck until the other team is out of position and a good scoring chance can be lined up.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Jasper17

How would I solve the Caps PP? find a lefty shot who can score from outside the circle. The Caps lack of a lefty shot limits there threat on the PP. Backstrom doesn't want to shoot and Laich or Chimera are not threats from outside the circle. They need to find this type of player at the deadline and it would make a huge difference.

I would wait until Florida starts to move their UFA's and then go after McCabe. I know they are in our division. But if the Caps could get two players from Carolina last year who not try to get one from Florida this year. And if they can't get him, get another hard shooting lefty to play opposite Ovechkin on the right.

This would give the Caps threats from both sides of the ice. Rather than what they have now which is basically only Ovechkin from outside. Which is predictable and easy to defend.

Bring in a scoring threat from the outside and I think you would see a huge difference.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
So you dont have a new solution really. You just want to Ovi keep roaming up and down that left side. That's fine. But I think something has to give on the points, and it can start with new blood on the point.

But like usual, I disagree. Ovi can score down low like every other forward we have can. Nothing? You sure choose strong words.

I think the easiest thing to do try different people. Sorry Nick. Sorry Laich. Sorry Knuble. Try MJ, try Carlson, try Fehr. With Semin out, lets try out next best skilled forward. I contend its MJ.

But MJ only gets PP time with Chimera, and a taxed Green and Ovi. At least he is getting more time of late, but that PP2 looks really bad. We dont have a PP1. That must be addressed before 2 can be expected to score.
Sure. I am ok with taking Ovechkin off the pp entirely. As long as he's not scoring himself or his unit. I am fine with that.

The thing with Ovechkin is that the game plan on the pk is to shadow him and multi player him. if you move him down low the reduced space only makes it easier to do that. we've see that when he is moved down there. it

ive said it before. the fix for this power play is not moving ovechkin. taking what the pk is giving. they leave nick open and give him ten feet of space and dare him to make a play to beat them. thats the key. find away to use that 3 on 2 low advantage and the pk's head in enough that they want to try and stop it. that will open up ovechkin and green. you can move ovechkin all over the ice and his situation wont change.

Old
01-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Jasper17

I think that is a good idea. Lets let MJ and Backstrom set it up on the right side with Green and Ovechkin on the points. We need to get control of the puck and calm things down. It seems like we have no interest in setting up a PP, we just want to get the zone and shoot.

MJ and Backstrom are great at keeping the puck. Let them do their thing.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
pgreene

umbrella with carlson at the top, backstrom right, ovechkin left, laich and noobs in the middle.

second unit green/poti, mojo right boards, semin left boards, hendricks getting dirty.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote