HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

How would you solve our powerplay woes?

Old
01-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
umbrella with carlson at the top, backstrom right, ovechkin left, laich and noobs in the middle.

second unit green/poti, mojo right boards, semin left boards, hendricks getting dirty.
Why would you want Backstrom at the circle? You want a shooter in that position, Backstrom is a great player but he is not a shooter.

We don't have the personel on the roster to play an umbrella. If Backstrom could score from the top of the circle, we wouldn't be having a discussion about how to fix our power play.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:06 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Why would you want Backstrom at the circle? You want a shooter in that position, Backstrom is a great player but he is not a shooter.

We don't have the personel on the roster to play an umbrella. If Backstrom could score from the top of the circle, we wouldn't be having a discussion about how to fix our power play.
backstrom has scored from the circle, and imo has an underrated shot.

but it also puts him in a position to get the puck and go to the net, shoot for the tip or, if he can open the seam, set up ovechkin for the one timer.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
backstrom has scored from the circle, and imo has an underrated shot.

but it also puts him in a position to get the puck and go to the net, shoot for the tip or, if he can open the seam, set up ovechkin for the one timer.
Sure he has done it before. Hendricks just scored on a breakaway, I wouldn't count on either to happen often.

Backstrom isn't a shooter. I think everyone knows he has a good shot, but he doesn't want to use it. He wants to set up the play not finish it off. He is not the type of player you want at the top of a circle. You want someone who can score, really you want someone with a great one-timer.

If your going to play the umbrella or any other PP, Backstrom needs to be down low on the right. Simluar to where Crosby plays for the Pens.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Ahonen

What is the problem with our powerplay?

I mean, how can we have 17 % in powerplay when we have players like Nick, Alex and Greene in the powerplay formation. I mean, something is huge fault. The teams are reading our play in it, and we have no plan -b .

I would like to see Nick have the puck almost all the time, exactly like H.Sedin have in Canucks poweplay. Nick can decide the pace off the game, and I dont like when Alex have to much puck.

Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:00 AM
txpd

nick's game has been well below standards this season. a reason that the pp is so bad is that nick has been that bad. nick has one goal in his last 20+. ovechkin has 2 ppg's all season. when the opposition goes to great trouble to take ovechkin and green away from scoring chances, its up to backstrom to score some and pull the defense off the other two stars. he's failed in that so far.

in short. the reason the pp is so poor is because ovechkin and backstrom are not scoring at all.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Funkyalligator

I think when every single major offensive player on the Caps with the exception of Semin having an off year statistically there isn't much that we can do till those anomalies correct themselves.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:54 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Point play has left much to be desired. Ovi 2PPG's has been trending downward for some time. Probably Green as well after scoring 18PPG a years back. No one has been stepping up to fill the void. Carlson our best hope for changes on the point has only recently started getting PP1 time. Heck, any PP time, to be more accurate. While most think he can't create offense as well as Mike Green, I remain optimistic.

You can't pin this on Nick without pinning some of it on Laich. And Bruce.

Bruce has adjusted and is giving PP2 significant time, But it coincides to when our scoring depth has been pummeled by injuries. PP2 is more like a checking line the past few weeks. But Green and Ovi on the back half of PP's look gassed lost and discourgaged from yet another PP1 fail. They have little chemistry with the PP2 forwards. Its ugly.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
BobRouse

Our team's success, and especially our PP, revolve around Ovechkin.

He has had an awful time getting shots off without fanning. It seems more and more that he is injured. He fanned on an excellent chance in the ASG even.

I don't buy teams "have figured him out". IMO he has a wrist issue going on and it has really affected his finishing.

PP goes down and so does Backstrom's assists along with Green's.

I really think its that simple.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Funkyalligator

Anyone that has followed Ovie his whole career as I have should see that he has an issue with his wrist. I mean seriously he had been messing with it plenty on the bench and he did have a cortisone shot in it and if that doesn't indicate an injury I don't know what does.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:41 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Why in the world won't we give Ovi a week off to rest the wrist. If his wrist has so severe of an injury that a month+ of time off will not help him at all, and our PP is fully dependent on him, our fate may be decided. That is, unless Bruce adjusts. He would have to relieve Ovi from any shooters duty on the PP. Embrace him becoming the passer he is doing on his own.

I think we can score PP goals without Ovi. Semin Nick Laich Carlson Green should be able to pull 15%.

Its like the playoffs two years ago when Green had a shoulder or whatever. Square peg round hole one arm Green for 25TOI and full PP time the whole series... just killed us. It appeared more important to mask his injury than to score a PP goal, or to acknowledge the non Bruce guys had a much better series. He missed the chance to reduce Greens TOI and it hurt us. Did we learn from that?

Sure Bruce probably thinks Ovi with one arm is better than all the LW's behind him, and it may be true, but the only way to find out if you are wrong is if you try.

Some dude you had no inkling about always comes out of no where to rock the loffs. He just needs a chance.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-31-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I think when every single major offensive player on the Caps with the exception of Semin having an off year statistically there isn't much that we can do till those anomalies correct themselves.
This is my take. 5 of the Caps' 6 top forwards (and Mike Green too) are having significant down years off of their recent performances. And Semin is just being schitzo as usual. If nobody is playing well at even strength, it stands to reason that those same people would struggle on the power play.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Point play has left much to be desired. Ovi 2PPG's has been trending downward for some time. Probably Green as well after scoring 18PPG a years back. No one has been stepping up to fill the void. Carlson our best hope for changes on the point has only recently started getting PP1 time. Heck, any PP time, to be more accurate. While most think he can't create offense as well as Mike Green, I remain optimistic.

You can't pin this on Nick without pinning some of it on Laich. And Bruce.

Bruce has adjusted and is giving PP2 significant time, But it coincides to when our scoring depth has been pummeled by injuries. PP2 is more like a checking line the past few weeks. But Green and Ovi on the back half of PP's look gassed lost and discourgaged from yet another PP1 fail. They have little chemistry with the PP2 forwards. Its ugly.
Last season Ovechkin and Green has a drop off in PPG's that was offset by an increase in PPA's. This meant that the primary goal of the opposing PK was to prevent 8 and 52 from scoring. The Caps adjusted when Ov and Green successfully moved the puck to create goals by the other three on the PP including Backstrom and Semin.

In many cases the PPG's that Ovechkin and Green did get came as a result of the other three players creating good scoring chances that started the PK running around. That broke down the coverage on Ov and Green. You can see that in the PPG's that Green has scored this season. His goals are the result of a flurry where he is the 3rd or 4th chance in a series of chances. Ov gets those as well but has shown no ability to finish them. The lack of scoring from the other three players and the lack of chances by those players has resulted in the lack of breaking down the pk to create legit chances from the point players.

I can pin it on Nick. Nick scored 33 goals last season and has basically been shut out for over 20 games. When the PK guards Green and Ovechkin man to man as they do Backstrom is left wide open. They are inviting Backstrom to beat them. Last season he was effective in this role. This season not at all. He has not scored a PPG since November 20th.

Yea, Laich needs to produce more but his game requires shots on the net before his game is initiated. Backstrom is the guy with the puck and time and space.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Funkyalligator

Basically with Ovie being unable to finish his goal chances and Backy having an off year our offense is screwed. As I stated before I don't think it'll last a whole year but we shall see.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
txpd

there's no question that it comes down to those two and semin. semin carried the team for twenty games.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

TXPD if you can pin it on Nick, then I can pin it on Bruce for rarely to never trying a different pivot on PP1, and George to date for not addressing our gaping hole at 2C. Its a year to grow, but we are largely missing the chance to let MJ grow by ignoring him as a solution to our PP woes, to what you pin on Nick.

I dont pin it on Nick. He can pass at 220 or 250 and out of shape. Thats what he does on the PP. If Bruce won't design plays for him to be the gunner, its not his fault he doesnt score. I see no signs of plays set up for him.

With no 2C, teams are really going to struggle to score on PP2. Bruce is turning to PP2 at the hardest time to do so, our scoring depth pummeled with Semin and Fehr out, and Flash now out of town. With all the scoring in the world at his disposal, he shunned a PP2. When PP1 got stuffed vs Montreal, we had zero tested other options.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
txpd

backstrom has chances to shoot all the time. as long as semin is out and ovechkin and green under man to man coverage its up to backstrom to make a play or take a shot.

backstrom stands in a spot that ovechkin or semin would shoot from and with the defense backing off of him. he can either pass to a player that cant shoot or find a shooting lane for himself.

you may be right that giving nick's pp ice to johansson or perreault might create some scoring. i think that is marginal as perreault seems to have hit the wall and johansson isnt really a shooter. even if it did result in some ppg's and an uptick in the overall pp numbers, it still doesnt fix the problem. backstrom. you can replace ovechkin with hendricks and/or backstrom with 90 and get a goal now and then, but it does nothing to create offense from backstrom and ovechkin.

the caps could just scratch them for a game. they might score two ppgs. one from steckel and one from hendricks. might work for one game but thats not a long term solution

Old
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why in the world won't we give Ovi a week off to rest the wrist. If his wrist has so severe of an injury that a month+ of time off will not help him at all, and our PP is fully dependent on him, our fate may be decided. That is, unless Bruce adjusts. He would have to relieve Ovi from any shooters duty on the PP. Embrace him becoming the passer he is doing on his own.
I have wondered this too. But the explanation could be that it is not bad enough to prevent him from playing (doesnt run the risk of aggrivation) but that in order to fully fix it it may require a couple months (offseason).

Having him out there as a decoy alone is probably worth it. You can see that they have now started using him downlow more and more and probably we will see more Carlson/Green on the points.

I think this year we are seeing how much our team (and the stats of the players) REALLY go as AO goes. I think he is THAT important.

But even then..our PP is generating some chances, but just like 5 on 5 we are failing to capitalize on scoring chances. Playing the trap means we get less scoring chances as well so naturally our scoring goes down.

As last years PP went cold in the playoffs this years could get hot. Don't rule it out.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Rouser - I have long theorized that getting hot late in year is like a recipe for success in the playoffs. The team trending upwards. With no where to really to go but up, we are secretly sitting pretty if my theory holds true. Also, finishing the year healthy is huge. Same applies to the PP.

Ovi does drive our team. But like against the pens in the playoffs and Mike Green, decoying is ineffective and prevents anyone else in our entire organization of getting the chance to make the decoy play unnecessary.

At the end of the day, the only person fooled was me. I thought Green wasnt injured - look look - bruce is using him 25TOI every game! He must be healthy. Must be.

Ovi can still eek out goals and needs to respected to score, but using him as a decoy / occasional gunner wont lead us to a cup. We need to embrace Ovi the passer if he cant shoot yet remains a top TOI / exclusive PP guy. I think he needs to be paired with a gunner. Maybe Semin. How fitting was his ASG goal that he didnt score. That's how he scores now.

We lost LW depth in Flash, our RW depth got pummeled. We were short at scoring C from the start. Nick is one happy cat of late. Ovi needs help.