HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will we regret passing on Tarasenko like we do Parise?

Old
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
It was not a horrible pick, he still is a top pick in that draft, find where I said horrible But yeah, huge regret factor is in play cause we're already seeing the other guys drafted after him performing. Yes its early but its all we have to base any of this on right now. If DM is better than most in 3 years no one will care, I agree.

Kronwall had people scratching heads, but not if you saw the talent and it was on display in that years WJC, against the best of his draft class. It was right in everyones face but he was labelled too small to play D in the NHL.
Outside of Fowler, the only guys in the first that are really wowing are Hishon and Schwartz, and they were reaches themselves. Besides, it's a marathon, not a sprint. I'm just not going to get worked up over a pick (negatively or positively) 6 months after the draft.

Quote:
Lets dig deeper, or is that wrong? You tell me, cause I think once you see those actual games in those 3 months you'll see a lot of weak competition and something that bothers me to this day - when facing the very best of the WHL, they have very little problems getting around DM. He played one good game this season against a top WHL team. He had an injury so he missed some iomportant games against top WHL talent, but still, I want to see him be impressive against the best, not kids he 'does his job' against. Its not wowoing me, and at #10 don't ya think we should be having some wow moments here?
I've seen a few of them, but that's not the context in which I'm judging them. Even if he wasn't all-star caliber in those games, he was far better in March than he was in October of the same season. He's a young kid growing into a big frame. There are going to be issues.

I'd like to see some "wow" moments, but I'm also looking for marked improvement in different areas of his game. I'm seeing that this season. The "wows" will come in time.

Quote:
The year it came to a head was this past season, no? This past year it was in the papers for months after the Philly incident ! The Carcillo incident, losing out to Philly for the last spot, its just all too much of a coincidence that we happen to land the exact player for THIS team now. The irony is, he won't be here doing that consistently until years from now. Of course you always need toughness, I just think we paid a huge price for just a shot at that kind of player.
Honestly, I think you're reading too much into it. If you're looking for a theory, it's not difficult to connect the dots in a manner that fit the profile. Ironically, many people were clamoring for a offensive threat, but many of our young guys are now emerging as productive players on the score sheet. Maybe the brass has more faith in Dubinsky, Stepan, Anisimov, Callahan, MZA, Kreider, Grachev, etc, than the rest of us do. We also took a very dynamic offensive player with Thomas in the 2nd round.

Quote:
I like the kids character, no doubt, I have a soft spot for players from Winnipeg as well. I don't hate him, you guys just liek to lump me in with that crowd cause I'm not bowing down at the alter of Clark, Mcilrath, Sather, etc. I'd rather question what this team is doing instead of throwing up my arms and saying 'theyre the experts' ! And thats not based on anything but our brass past judgment, its been known to be totally misguided, after taking character kids with skill, who were all on the radar for yeasr, except for Kreider, who brings absolute amazing skating to the table. In the game of hockey thats one exception I can agree with, and did when he was picked.
You just lumped me in with the people who bow down to Sather and Clarke. So there's plenty of that going around. I had my issues in 08 when we passed on Carlson for Del Zotto, so it's not like I'm always on board with their decisions.

You mentioned above, in another post, that you don't put much faith in the rankings, so why do you care if McIlrath was on the radar or not?

Quote:
Del Z was a consensus top pick in his draft year, Cheraponov display world class skill, and like I said Kreider has amazing speed. I'm on board with all those picks, they were not as big a question mark as DM.
It's not as if McIlrath skates like Boogard, or reads the play like Jason Strudwick. He's a kid that is a year behind in his development compared to almost every other kid in his draft class. He committed to hockey late in the game, and also spent time as a forward before switching to defense. He's certainly a question mark, but I don't think he's as big of one as you're making him out to be.

Quote:
I really don't want to have to always defend my case, it just seems everytime I read 'hes gonna be a beast, hes great at defense' I cringe and cant understand why people say this with such certainty.

I never say he's gonna bust, ever. I never say he's the next Jessiman. But there are facts, not projection or speculation, but facts I bring up based on his play and that alone. This is a top 10 pick here and everyone thinks its okay for this organization to throw those around like we get the chance every year.
I don't think anyone feels that way. Frankly anything outside of the top 3 is generally a gamble. However, you can bring up all of the facts you want, but I'm not going to evaluate a kid like McIlrath on a game-to-game basis, nor am I going to base my expectations on what the pundits, or posters on this board think.

Based on my viewing of him, he was a legitimate 1st round selection at the end of last season. Compare that to the beginning of the same season, where I thought he might be lucky to stay in the 2nd round. That's something I can get on board with. I hope he keeps up the same progress, and I think he can.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

At one point in time during the WJC they put up a stat. If I recall correctly during 2003 there were 72 Russians in the NHL, now there are 34. That has had a huge impact on what country you use your 1st round pick on and whether or not you're absolutely certain he's coming to the US.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:54 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Of course he was drafted for his toughness and 3 months of good play, I never said that wasn't the case. However, why is it so far fetched that the Rangers scouting department felt this guy was the BPA? Despite the fact that you dislike the pick, what is there to prove that McIlrath was a bad pick? For every one of us making "excuses" there are just as many of you saying that this pick was horrible and we're going to regret it.
Trxjw - I think the McIrath group takes dissenting views as to what/who we should have picked as a rejection of McIrath, as opposed to preference for a more developed player. Honestly, I love McIrath the player, ad have no doubt that he will add his own spice to the mix. At the very worst he has the skill set to be a valuable addition to the defensive group. At best a Monster.

I was thinking out loud after focusing in Tarasenko in the Canada game. He just looked like he could do whatever he wanted with the puck, and the D was backing off big time for fear of getting burnt. Would Tarasenko be a safe pick? It depends if the Rangers got word they would not be able to bring him over or not. Still, he looked really good those shifts he played.

Bottom line we (Clark) chose Big Mc, so I'm rooting for him like nobodies business.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Bottom line we (Clark) chose Big Mc, so I'm rooting for him like nobodies business.
That's the boat I'm in.... We, as fans, had no say in whom the Rangers selected, so I can't have any regrets over something I had no influence on.... I only regret my own actions in life...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:29 PM
JimmyStart*

Congrats now in 5 years if Tarasenko is better you can look back to this thread and say (see I was right!) . A lot of folks would prob agree with you and I've already said my opinion in the past about who i wanted. But now I'll be more than happy if McI lkives up to the billing.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Trxjw - I think the McIrath group takes dissenting views as to what/who we should have picked as a rejection of McIrath, as opposed to preference for a more developed player. Honestly, I love McIrath the player, ad have no doubt that he will add his own spice to the mix. At the very worst he has the skill set to be a valuable addition to the defensive group. At best a Monster.

I was thinking out loud after focusing in Tarasenko in the Canada game. He just looked like he could do whatever he wanted with the puck, and the D was backing off big time for fear of getting burnt. Would Tarasenko be a safe pick? It depends if the Rangers got word they would not be able to bring him over or not. Still, he looked really good those shifts he played.

I don't mean to lump everyone in together, and that goes for both camps. I just think there are folks who had "their guy" pegged at #10, and if we passed on them, they're bound and determined to harp on McIlrath being a failure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I certainly welcome the informed ones -- a good debate here and there is why I stick around the board -- but there's a lot of sensationalist commentary going around lately.

Tarasenko is a heck of a player, and could be a very good NHLer, but it's apples and oranges at this point. If Tarasenko becomes the next Russian wizard, and McIlrath ends up as ECHL fodder, I don't think we'll ever hear the end of it. However, it's just too soon for me to speculate.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:55 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

tarasenko is a special talent. hes an absolute horse.

in the canada/russia game i would say he was the most talented forward on the ice. every time he touches the puck he oozes confidence.

pretty soon, when vlad is playing in st louis next season, we wont have to listen to any more lame excuses about "him not coming over" to north america to play, "or his dad is his coach" and all that stuff. that will all end thank god.

pretty soon, we'll all be reminded in living color just how stupid passing on this guy was.

and meanwwhile, dylan mcilrath will probably still be playing slightly above average junior hockey...

still cant grade either guy yet though, so its all opinion and speculation at this point.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
still cant grade either guy yet though, so its all opinion and speculation at this point.
Oh yeah, so one guy is a "special talent" and a "absolute horse" and in the NHL next season, and the other guy will "probably be playing slightly above average junior hockey" a year from now.

Yeah you're not grading either player prematurely yet at all....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote