HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC: Kreider & Bourque vs. Finland - Final Score: USA 3, Finland 2 OT

Old
12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In our Moderator's Mock Draft, I picked Bjugstad with our first pick.
Good call, but he was one if not the biggest wild cards in the first round(as far as the forwards go). So I was cautious about taking him too hi. Then we took Mcilrath and Bjugstad doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden

I liked Justin Faulk a lot in round 2 as well, saw him play at last years U-18 and he was a force along the blueline in the offensive zone.

What did you think of Pulkkinen? Armia? Haula? Nattinen? Any of those impress?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
And I thought Palmieri played well, he missed a lot of opportunities but he was still creating offense. I imagine if it wasn't Kreider feeding him all those great passes we wouldn't care as much about Palmieri's play.

Morin on the other hand...It's amazing how some AHL experience can put some HF posters over the top with the hype train. Carlson got way too much credit last year solely for his GWG. He had an average tournament.
One poster on here hypes him up, for some reason. I don't get it. I've played against guys like JVR before, but I never was balls deep on the hype train for them (I do love JVR, but I'm at least realistic about him). What can you do? Being flashy like him gets you noticed. Granted, it also gets you noticed the wrong way by people who actually watch the games and see how many terrible turnovers he causes and all of the BS that comes along with his shot.

Again, not my cup of tea. I despise players that can't even do the basic things that any player should know.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:57 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Good call, but he was one if not the biggest wild cards in the first round(as far as the forwards go). So I was cautious about taking him too hi. Then we took Mcilrath and Bjugstad doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden

I liked Justin Faulk a lot in round 2 as well, saw him play at last years U-18 and he was a force along the blueline in the offensive zone.

What did you think of Pulkkinen? Armia? Haula? Nattinen? Any of those impress?
Haula and Nattinen were both very "meh" to me. Pulkkinen had his moments, but man is that kid weak. If he can build some strength, he can do something, but in a tight game where he is covered, he looked invisible. He had a few nice moments (obviously creating a goal), but they came in spurts. I do like his skill level, though. His strength and overall game worry me a bit, but he's a magician with the puck. Armia was ****ing slick. Exactly what I expected from him. Love that kid.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Yeah I thought Armia and Pulkkinen were very good, Armia in particular. Didn't notice too much of the other two.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:03 AM
John Torturella

Palmierri sucks. The guy couldnt put the puck in to save his life. Kreider musta sent him in like 3 times.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Haula and Nattinen were both very "meh" to me. Pulkkinen had his moments, but man is that kid weak. If he can build some strength, he can do something, but in a tight game where he is covered, he looked invisible. He had a few nice moments (obviously creating a goal), but they came in spurts. I do like his skill level, though. His strength and overall game worry me a bit, but he's a magician with the puck. Armia was ****ing slick. Exactly what I expected from him. Love that kid.
Fin prospects are very often 'meh' in these Tourneys, but they turn out to be valauble two way NHL'ers when not being asked to perform as all stars. Like Nattinen and Haula, both players I've always liked, but never saw them as top liners. Just good fundamentals. Ya know, the opposite of Morin

Pulkkinen is a project, I'm willing to give him time cause he's so gifted offensively and is coming off an injury filled season.

Armia is a beast, somethings really wrong if he doesn't go top 5 in this draft.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Palmierri sucks. The guy couldnt put the puck in to save his life. Kreider musta sent him in like 3 times.
Lets see what he does the rest of the tourney before we brand him anything. I think the coaches ask a lot of him, and this is the awkward beginning stages of the tourney. Plenty of hockey left to play.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:09 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Fin prospects are very often 'meh' in these Tourneys, but they turn out to be valauble two way NHL'ers when not being asked to perform as all stars. Like Nattinen and Haula, both players I've always liked, but never saw them as top liners. Just good fundamentals. Ya know, the opposite of Morin

Pulkkinen is a project, I'm willing to give him time cause he's so gifted offensively and is coming off an injury filled season.

Armia is a beast, somethings really wrong if he doesn't go top 5 in this draft.
Haula didn't really look very good defensively at all. Nattinen did, though. He was pretty aggressive defensively, which was about as much as I liked from him. I don't think either of them will be NHLers, really. Nattinen maybe as a 4th liner, but I doubt much more than that.

Pulkkinen is so hit or miss for me. I mean, that kid is really ****ing skilled. I honestly think he's going to be one of those typical ultra skilled guys who cannot cut it at the NHL level. A true international star, you know?

Armia is one of my favorites in this blah draft. With Saad dropping, Armia moves up. He has the potential to go top 3, even. I think he's every bit up there with RNH and Landeskog.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:13 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Lets see what he does the rest of the tourney before we brand him anything. I think the coaches ask a lot of him, and this is the awkward beginning stages of the tourney. Plenty of hockey left to play.
Well, he's doing the same things he did last year. He almost cost us the gold last year.

With Morin, there's a reason he saw little or no ice time in OT. He did not deserve it at all.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

BN -- what did you think of Dustin Rose? He had a hell of a game today, man. That kid just does it all. I heard he crippled one of the Russians. And then stole his girlfriend. He's a real man's man.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:17 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, he's doing the same things he did last year. He almost cost us the gold last year.

With Morin, there's a reason he saw little or no ice time in OT. He did not deserve it at all.
Yeah, I have to agree with that. I was impressed by Morin, to say the least, in his NHL debut and in the pre-season, but he was pretty terrible tonight. He's basically a lesser version of Phil Kessel. He can score goals when he's set up, but that's about it, really.

12-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Haula didn't really look very good defensively at all. Nattinen did, though. He was pretty aggressive defensively, which was about as much as I liked from him. I don't think either of them will be NHLers, really. Nattinen maybe as a 4th liner, but I doubt much more than that.

Pulkkinen is so hit or miss for me. I mean, that kid is really ****ing skilled. I honestly think he's going to be one of those typical ultra skilled guys who cannot cut it at the NHL level. A true international star, you know?

Armia is one of my favorites in this blah draft. With Saad dropping, Armia moves up. He has the potential to go top 3, even. I think he's every bit up there with RNH and Landeskog.
Yeah I agree about Armia. I like the confidence both he and Landeskog play with.

I could see that with Pulkkinen if he doesn't grow as a player, and bad injuries can really affect some players mentality about the physical game. I just think he's a natural scorer and those are not easy to come by, would love to take a shot at one sooner or later.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:21 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Yeah I agree about Armia. I like the confidence both he and Landeskog play with.

I could see that with Pulkkinen if he doesn't grow as a player, and bad injuries can really affect some players mentality about the physical game. I just think he's a natural scorer and those are not easy to come by, would love to take a shot at one sooner or later.
I wouldn't have minded him in the later rounds, but I think he went around the appropriate spot in the draft. He's a big time boom or bust guy, with more bust potential than most. Could be a damn gem, though. Detroit just rolled the dice on him.

By the way, we did take a shot on a natural scorer. Christian Thomas. And I think he is a lot safer than Pulkkinen.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

I think Palmieri's personality and energy level are often overlooked by the fans. Coaches and players seem to like it and feed off it. At least that's what I've always heard about him.

At the end of the day, our guys are finding a way to win with him. And ya can't discount his ability to draw penalties as well. Everyone around here is afraid of the word because of Drury, but intangibles are needed, he brings some that others may not have.

Quote:
BN -- what did you think of Dustin Rose? He had a hell of a game today, man. That kid just does it all. I heard he crippled one of the Russians. And then stole his girlfriend. He's a real man's man.
Puck poise, low center of gravity and speed so blinding he's already playing the first period of their next game !

Old
12-27-2010, 12:29 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Palmieri takes just as much, if not more, penalties than he draws. He's the Avery of Team USA, in a way.

Dustin Rose, though. He is the truth. I wish he wasn't a 2015 eligible player. Youngest Canadian ever to make the team, I hear.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I wouldn't have minded him in the later rounds, but I think he went around the appropriate spot in the draft. He's a big time boom or bust guy, with more bust potential than most. Could be a damn gem, though. Detroit just rolled the dice on him.

By the way, we did take a shot on a natural scorer. Christian Thomas. And I think he is a lot safer than Pulkkinen.
What I wouldn't give for us to be Detroit and be able to afford to take so many draft wild cards, seems like many have worked more than busted for them which makes me think theyve always been onto something

I always thought Thomas could play even if his offense was of the secondary nature. His game is a lot like his Dad(minus the fights). When you play the game that way its hard for me to question the size, which is not as bad as some make it out to be.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:37 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

I <3 Stumpy Thomas. Miss that guy.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Palmieri takes just as much, if not more, penalties than he draws. He's the Avery of Team USA, in a way.

Dustin Rose, though. He is the truth. I wish he wasn't a 2015 eligible player. Youngest Canadian ever to make the team, I hear.
I think its good that he plays with an edge, problem is at that age(or Avery at any age) is often misplaced and he takes some bad penalties. Still, the team needs its share of personalities, a few guys on this squad are as vocal as Marek Malik

Dusty Rose will be taken #1 overall in 2015, his Mom even sat on the Team Canada bench while she was Pregnant back in the day just to give him 'experience beyond his years' !

Old
12-27-2010, 12:42 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Eh, I could do without him. Granted, they don't have anyone to replace him, so I guess the team does need him. Hopefully the lack of time in OT sends a message, though.

Old
12-27-2010, 01:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Really pisses me off that we could have had Pulkkinen and Kitsyn in this ****ing draft. Did you see how Kitsyn played today? He's got big skills, size, and balls.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:13 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Really pisses me off that we could have had Pulkkinen and Kitsyn in this ****ing draft. Did you see how Kitsyn played today? He's got big skills, size, and balls.
I like him a lot more than Pulkkinen, but Kitsyn is a huge risk as well. I like Yogan and Thomas more than both.

Old
12-27-2010, 01:13 AM
asparkoflife

Armia is gonna be a player.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:21 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with that. I was impressed by Morin, to say the least, in his NHL debut and in the pre-season, but he was pretty terrible tonight. He's basically a lesser version of Phil Kessel. He can score goals when he's set up, but that's about it, really.
Phil Kessel is dynamic though. He can create offense himself. Morin isn't a good enough skater or smart enough to create his own chances.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I like him a lot more than Pulkkinen, but Kitsyn is a huge risk as well. I like Yogan and Thomas more than both.
We passed on Kitsyn for Max Campbell.

We could've had Fasth AND Kitsyn. That's my only qualm with this draft.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:39 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We passed on Kitsyn for Max Campbell.

We could've had Fasth AND Kitsyn. That's my only qualm with this draft.
Campbell was picked in 2007, homeslice.