HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Salei and Sykora?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
  #1
CHareth
Registered User
 
CHareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Thoughts on Salei and Sykora?

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp
Quote:
The Ducks need to shed about $9 million in payroll. Defenceman Ruslan Salei, a restricted free agent who is eligible for arbitration, is likely gone and in high demand throughout the league. The trouble is, in order to get Salei, interested teams are being told they must also take forward Petr Sykora, who earns more than $4 million a year on a long-term deal.
The Ducks may have to eat some of that salary, but they really need to move Sykora to make ends meet.
Bob Mckenzie is writing that the Ducks need to move Salei and Sykora. Questions:

(1) Does Salei play RD or LD?
(2) Would the two make sense for Montreal if Anaheim agrees to eat some of that salary?

Discuss.

EDIT: I personally would not mind this tandem at all, especially as I doubt that Kovalev will be signed.


Last edited by CHareth: 06-22-2004 at 07:03 PM.
CHareth is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 07:11 PM
  #2
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Bob Mckenzie is writing that the Ducks need to move Salei and Sykora. Questions:

(1) Does Salei play RD or LD?
(2) Would the two make sense for Montreal if Anaheim agrees to eat some of that salary?

Discuss.

EDIT: I personally would not mind this tandem at all, especially as I doubt that Kovalev will be signed.
No I'm not for acquiring them. The habs shouldn't play that game (taking salary dumps from other teams). It's just not the place to do it. With Kovalev, we got a star player, and it was only for a short moment. Even if we were to pay Kovalev 5 or 6 millions it would be okay. Because stars players should be well paid. Sykora is a good player, but he's by no means a star. Guys like Kovalev is what makes your fan base larger, stronger and what gives them a show for their money. That should be understant. It's not guys like Jagr, Forsberg, Kovalev who destroyed hockey. It's when you have a decent player making 2-3-4 millions. They might help the team, they're also liked by fans. But they're expendable and they don't sell tickets. That's what killed hockey...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 07:18 PM
  #3
CHareth
Registered User
 
CHareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
No I'm not for acquiring them. The habs shouldn't play that game (taking salary dumps from other teams). It's just not the place to do it. With Kovalev, we got a star player, and it was only for a short moment. Even if we were to pay Kovalev 5 or 6 millions it would be okay. Because stars players should be well paid. Sykora is a good player, but he's by no means a star. Guys like Kovalev is what makes your fan base larger, stronger and what gives them a show for their money. That should be understant. It's not guys like Jagr, Forsberg, Kovalev who destroyed hockey. It's when you have a decent player making 2-3-4 millions. They might help the team, they're also liked by fans. But they're expendable and they don't sell tickets. That's what killed hockey...
I understand what you're saying, but my rationale is that Sykora, while not a star, is still a good player who can play on the top lines, and the addition of a Sykora could soften the blow of losing Kovalev. I'm very skeptical that Kovalev will resign with Montreal. If he does, I will be very surprised indeed. As for Salei, I think he could be a good addition on the blue line - certainly better than the likes of Quintal and Boullion.

While Sykora and Salei may not sell tickets anywhere as star attractions, I don't think Montreal is as hard pressed as other teams to fill the arena. Regardless of who's on the ice, there is always plenty of fan support.

CHareth is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 07:28 PM
  #4
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Salei is a right defenseman and is a lot better than anything we have. He'd be our number one guy on the right side no doubt with Markov or Souray, even if he's not a PP guy.

Sykora would instantaneously be on our top line.

If we can give up something fair and get them, we should.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 07:31 PM
  #5
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Salei is a right defenseman and is a lot better than anything we have.
Hrm, I seem to remember Salei playing mostly on the left side of defense, but I could be wrong.

Brodeur is online now  
Old
06-22-2004, 08:04 PM
  #6
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Hell yeah I would get them, I'd prefer to get both of them than keep Kovalev. Sykora had more than 20 goals in his last 6 seasons, 2 of them being 30+ and is also a good passer and Salei would become one of our top Ds right there off the bat.

Malakhov is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 08:37 PM
  #7
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,781
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Bob Mckenzie is writing that the Ducks need to move Salei and Sykora. Questions:

(1) Does Salei play RD or LD?
(2) Would the two make sense for Montreal if Anaheim agrees to eat some of that salary?

Discuss.

EDIT: I personally would not mind this tandem at all, especially as I doubt that Kovalev will be signed.
I'd try to get Salei and to sign Kovalev, who is a huge upgrade over Sykora.

FF de Mars is online now  
Old
06-22-2004, 09:07 PM
  #8
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,781
vCash: 50
What would the ducks ask for Salei??? You guys know that I'd love to see reinforcment at our blue line...

FF de Mars is online now  
Old
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
  #9
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Salei is available, so is Gauthier.
With Salei/Sykora/Gauthier we could afford to lose Kovalev and it wouldn't hurt much the offense and we would highly reinforce our blue line.

Malakhov is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 09:22 PM
  #10
Tuggy
Homer glasses on
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,701
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Salei is a right defenseman and is a lot better than anything we have. He'd be our number one guy on the right side no doubt with Markov or Souray, even if he's not a PP guy.

Sykora would instantaneously be on our top line.

If we can give up something fair and get them, we should.
I completely agree, both of them would be GREAT additions to our team.

I like some of other people am very pesimistic in regards to us signing Kovalev. I really can't see it happening but you never know.

Salei is a defensively sound guy who plays tough and lays the big hit. Just what we need!

Tuggy is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 09:28 PM
  #11
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 500
They are a tempting package, but only if they could be had for cheap (in terms of what we would have to give up). It seems many teams are dumping salaries and the Canadiens may not be buyers, I'm sure Mr. Gillet (is that the correct spelling?) would like to see some return on his investment.

Habbadasher is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 09:30 PM
  #12
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,859
vCash: 500
What would you guys even trade for one or both of them?

BTW, FF de Mars, Kovalev is better than Sykora, but not a huge upgrade by any means. Kovalev has regressed since his trade from Pittsburgh, while Sykora's still same 'ol Pete.

Sykora has an expensive salary, but is worth every penny IMO. He can score, is good defensively, and is not as soft as many will have you think. He hammered Gauthier(Denis) hard in what I think was the last game of the season, and I think that really contributed to Denis' long-term injury.

Gibsons Finest is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
  #13
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,781
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
What would you guys even trade for one or both of them?

BTW, FF de Mars, Kovalev is better than Sykora, but not a huge upgrade by any means. Kovalev has regressed since his trade from Pittsburgh, while Sykora's still same 'ol Pete.

Sykora has an expensive salary, but is worth every penny IMO. He can score, is good defensively, and is not as soft as many will have you think. He hammered Gauthier(Denis) hard in what I think was the last game of the season, and I think that really contributed to Denis' long-term injury.
Well the thing is not so much that Sykora is a lesser player to Kovalev, but that on top of that we would have to give a valuable player to get him, Anaheim won't let him walk. I hope that BG will sign a UFA. But, if there is no UFA to sign, I would love to have Sykora and Salei. Just for the sake of it, what would Anaheim ask for both players, considering their salaries (at least Sykora's, I'm not sure about Salei), hamper their trade value, especially with the influx of players like Demitra coming out?

FF de Mars is online now  
Old
06-23-2004, 09:42 AM
  #14
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Hrm, I seem to remember Salei playing mostly on the left side of defense, but I could be wrong.
Well, Salei is left-handed. Didn't watch too much Ducks game to remember where he's playing but logic would lead us to believe he's playing LD!

J-D is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 09:59 AM
  #15
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,440
vCash: 500
I'd look to move for Salei if he's available and the price is right. I'd pass on Sykora.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 10:02 AM
  #16
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'd look to move for Salei if he's available and the price is right. I'd pass on Sykora.
Agreed, it seems to me that Sykora is a biy like some of the players that we have in the system. Salei is a bit similar to Zhitnik, isn't he ? That's the type i'd like to see on the left side. Keeping in mind that Zhitnik will be an UFA

mcphee is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 10:13 AM
  #17
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 500
Hey, if we can get them for free, hell ya, but we keep forgetting that Anahiem is going to want something in return and I'm sure they will be looking at our stable of young prospects for compensation.

Darz is offline  
Old
06-24-2004, 04:25 AM
  #18
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Salei maybe, Sykora no.

Sykora wouldnt fit very well because hes smallish... size is often overrated, but when you have a team like Montreal with both scoring line centers well under 6' 200lbs you need atleast that bit wingers.

I would want to see how Hainsey does before getting another lefty D... and still, I feel Gauthier might be better fit for strictly 5th dman role available.

Marksman is offline  
Old
06-24-2004, 12:22 PM
  #19
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Salei maybe, Sykora no.

Sykora wouldnt fit very well because hes smallish... size is often overrated, but when you have a team like Montreal with both scoring line centers well under 6' 200lbs you need atleast that bit wingers.

I would want to see how Hainsey does before getting another lefty D... and still, I feel Gauthier might be better fit for strictly 5th dman role available.
I know I would prefer having Gauthier out there against Toronto and Boston, but Hainsey still might prove to be a top 4...

tinyzombies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.