Time to take advantage of Buffalo?

Old
12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Time to take advantage of Buffalo?

Derek Roy out for season.

Buffalo needs a replacement.

Boston loved Kassian in his draft year...

I know Sabres fans are going to crap a bird over the thought of trading 230pd Kassian, so they would need some size/youth/upside coming back.

I'm usually bad at this, but.... Wheeler + 1st entry?

Call up (6'2) Sauve to replace Wheeler?
I don't think the Sabres want to move their 1st this year in case they plummet in the standings, but I think they need to take a crack at it.
When you have a goalie like Miller you don't just say "Ah, we'll go for it next year" because if he gets hot it is going to be like Halak on drugs.
They have the cap space with Roy going on LTIR too.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
I dont think Buffalo gets anything that helps them this year Colt. IMO the write the season off before trading for someone to replace Roy.

Wheeler wouldnt be a replacement, more like adding secondary scoring and losing your top scoring at the same time.

If they were in a win now, they might. But i think the season is all but lost for them and they don't trade Kassian. I wouldn't if i were them anyway.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:49 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I would love to see Kassian, but I don't think they trade him for anything less than a guy who can be a number one center or a top 2 dman. So in other words, Bergeron would probably be what they're asking for.

Still, I would gladly do a Wheeler and Colborne for Kassian without blinking.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 12:05 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I would love to see Kassian, but I don't think they trade him for anything less than a guy who can be a number one center or a top 2 dman. So in other words, Bergeron would probably be what they're asking for.

Still, I would gladly do a Wheeler and Colborne for Kassian without blinking.
I would absolutely blink, hard, at that.

I would do wheeler and a pick or Colborne and a pick perhaps...

Likely the latter too, Wheeler is starting to be useful as long as he (LOL) doesn't expect a pay raise for the 35 or so points he is on pace to get.

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

The sabres are not trading any of their Prospects/picks for a Roy replacement. We're in the hunt for a potential top line Center in this years Draft.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 12:12 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDDY View Post
The sabres are not trading any of their Prospects/picks for a Roy replacement. We're in the hunt for a potential top line Center in this years Draft.
or you could take Colborne who is just that...

Old
12-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFans92 View Post
or you could take Colborne who is just that...
I doubt they'd would part with the pieces to get Colborne and with the pending sale of the franchise I doubt the Sabres will make any big moves this season. Also I'd rather have a shot at Couturier.

Old
12-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I dont think Buffalo gets anything that helps them this year Colt. IMO the write the season off before trading for someone to replace Roy.
It would seem to make sense (to us) to write the season off, but Miller gives any team a legit shot at the Cup every year if he gets in the zone, so it would be hard to completely write if off.

Quote:
Wheeler wouldnt be a replacement, more like adding secondary scoring and losing your top scoring at the same time.
Yup, scoring by committee.

Quote:
If they were in a win now, they might. But i think the season is all but lost for them and they don't trade Kassian. I wouldn't if i were them anyway.
I agree, I wouldn't trade Kassian either, but it is now or never ---or now or play against him for the next decade. If we take advantage of our prospect depth and make the package tempting enough this would be our one and only chance at it. We have the prospects, we have the picks to make up for moving an impact player.

Savard and a pick (1st entry)?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:11 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
It would seem to make sense (to us) to write the season off, but Miller gives any team a legit shot at the Cup every year if he gets in the zone, so it would be hard to completely write if off.

I agree, I wouldn't trade Kassian either, but it is now or never ---or now or play against him for the next decade. If we take advantage of our prospect depth and make the package tempting enough this would be our one and only chance at it. We have the prospects, we have the picks to make up for moving an impact player.

WHAT!?!

Old
12-26-2010, 01:23 PM
FutureConsiderations

I don't think Buffalo would give up on Kassian like that (certainly not within the division to a team that already has Lucic), and with the way things are shaping up they'll probably re-evaluate their situation closer to the deadline rather than make a panic move now.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:28 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:

That's an interesting wrinkle. This might be an opportunity to both disarm a division rival and gain an asset, meaning the value of that trade might be greater than the sum of its parts.

Still, Savard + Boston's first is a mighty overpayment.

Old
12-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Res Nullius

Kassian just isn't that great. He fits the mold of our historically popular players here for the most part, but doesn't have that type of skill. Is he worth Wheeler? I think so, but only because I'm on the boat that doesn't see him getting resigned and I'd also love nothing more than to see Sauve with the big club. But no, that deal won't happen, and I would absolutely not throw in a first rounder, because that's an even trade straight up.

I hate that so many people here are so willing to throw one of our first rounders into any and every deal so damn quickly. It's a great asset to have, and worth so much more than the return that they usually theorize.

Res Nullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:16 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
I doubt they'd would part with the pieces to get Colborne and with the pending sale of the franchise I doubt the Sabres will make any big moves this season. Also I'd rather have a shot at Couturier.
Good luck with the sale. Hopefully you get good ownership who will run the team well and treat the fans well too.

Every time I think of Jeremy Jacobs and what a miserable time we have sometimes had because of his policies I remind myself that we could have someone like Charles Wang running things. Then I feel a lot better.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Dougie Seguin
2011 Cup Champs

Quote:

WHAT?!?!?!?

That would be a huge overpayment but if the would need a raplacement for Roy and the came to us i could see Wheeler or Savard going their.

Just imagine Savard to Vanek, that woould be deadly. But it would take a guy like Kassian or a DMan coming back

Dougie Seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:37 PM
KillerKampfer*

Buffalo owes it to themselves and thier fans to actually suck like Pittsburgh did when they got 3 #1s and get some young talent that is better than Kassian and not small like Ennis or Gerbe. Id really like to see them suck enough to get a guy like Pat Kane on thier team although given thier luck someone would probably offer sheet tehm soon as possible.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:40 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
If buffalo wants a real shot of Couturier, then they would be all over a Kassian for Tor 1st rounder this year. Dont know if boston does it though. They may since they were really high on Kassian and he will be 2 years older in development than he would have been if they got him at draft.

Last edited by yohan1212: 12-26-2010 at 04:00 PM.
yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

I would LOVE to get Kassian. He's going to be a beast when he gets to Buffalo (and I thought they should have kept him this year after the training camp he had), but I don't think Buff would consider moving him.

Asking them to trade their one, big, mean potential top6 prospect would be like asking the Bruins to trade their one, elite, puck moving defensman prospect (if we had one).

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 06:31 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
If buffalo wants a real shot of Couturier, then they would be all over a Kassian for Tor 1st rounder this year. Dont know if boston does it though. They may since they were really high on Kassian and he will be 2 years older in development than he would have been if they got him at draft.
whoever we get with a top 3-4 pick is likely going to be a ton better than Kassian even... meh. I certainly wouldn't move Tor 1 at all haha. Just me.

Old
12-26-2010, 07:36 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I would LOVE to get Kassian. He's going to be a beast when he gets to Buffalo (and I thought they should have kept him this year after the training camp he had), but I don't think Buff would consider moving him.

Asking them to trade their one, big, mean potential top6 prospect would be like asking the Bruins to trade their one, elite, puck moving defensman prospect (if we had one).
Yup, they've had just about enough of the Nathan Gerbes, Derek Roys, and Tyler Ennises of the league. Lack of size and snarl has been their Achilles' Heel for years, I'd imagine a team would have to blow the Sabres away to land Kassian.

But could you imagine starting a line of Lucic-Bergeron-Kassian in a couple years?

Old
12-26-2010, 07:46 PM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

Quote:
Sean Couturier would be huge.

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Quote:

I haven't figured it out yet Bill, do you think the Bruins lack a puck moving defenseman?

Haha, only kidding.

I agree that Buffalo most likely will not consider moving Kassian this year. He's priming up for an NHL debut in the near future and I think he will have an impact in Buffalo.

Sir Richard 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:

Kassian, Adam and Kaleta in a Buffalo line up?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
Yeah, I doubt the bruins would do Kassian for the Leafs pick. Also the sabres would be back to square one with no big mean hard hitting top 6 player in the pipeline.

but you guys can have Montador at the Deadline for a 2nd.

Old
12-27-2010, 06:53 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

I agree, they got off to such a rough start, the way the pts. are earned these days, even if your 6-8pts off a playoff spot, it`s easier said than done scratching your way back into it. The Sabres, from the little I know about their history, don`t really have a habit on a good year of getting involved with major in-season moves do they??

Let alone when they are still on the outside looking in. Roy gone is a huge loss for that team. Does he play on a line with Vanek too? If so, for you poolies, trade Vanek immediately.

I have no issues making any trades within our own division/conference but I suspect that Buffalo will quietly accept their fate and take their lumps, they`ll just call up another 5`3 speedster, keep their payroll manageable, I highly doubt they will trade any of their assets in an attempt to make a run at the playoffs that they would have been hard pressed to secure even with Roy in the lineup.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I agree, they got off to such a rough start, the way the pts. are earned these days, even if your 6-8pts off a playoff spot, it`s easier said than done scratching your way back into it. The Sabres, from the little I know about their history, don`t really have a habit on a good year of getting involved with major in-season moves do they??

Let alone when they are still on the outside looking in. Roy gone is a huge loss for that team. Does he play on a line with Vanek too? If so, for you poolies, trade Vanek immediately.

I have no issues making any trades within our own division/conference but I suspect that Buffalo will quietly accept their fate and take their lumps, they`ll just call up another 5`3 speedster, keep their payroll manageable, I highly doubt they will trade any of their assets in an attempt to make a run at the playoffs that they would have been hard pressed to secure even with Roy in the lineup.
I agree, Andrew.

The fact of the matter is that they're not making the playoffs and by this point they have to know it. But it's not like they're the Devils, where only the diehards still show up and tune in - Buffalo is going to make a bit of noise down the stretch, say within striking distance, and (since the Bills aren't going anywhere) they'll get their ratings and pull some crowds.

Even if they make a move to replace 75% of Roy's production at $3M, their playoff hopes might improve to 50/50 but they're out another $3M. Buffalo imposes its own cap each year, they're a small-market team that packs a house for big games, but they're only going to make back any money spent on a Roy replacement if they make the playoffs. In the end, it's just not a prudent move for them to risk it all like that. If they can get insurance to pay Roy's contract for the second half of this year, they should put any money saved towards an offseason signing or trade.