HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there any way we win the Stanley Cup during Gomez , Gionta & Cammalleri's era?

Old
12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 500
Is there any way we win the Stanley Cup during Gomez , Gionta & Cammalleri's era?

??? Seriously.

( don't bring the ''anything can happen'' , I mean a serious chance )

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Seriously now?

During "Gomez, Gionta & Cammalleri's era" we got to the Eastern Conference Finals, something that wasn't achieved under the "Koivu, Kovalev & Ryder era" or since we won the freicking Cup.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Seriously now?

During "Gomez, Gionta & Cammalleri's era" we got to the Eastern Conference Finals, something that wasn't achieved under the "Koivu, Kovalev & Ryder era" or since we won the freicking Cup.
I agree that any team that is not completely horrible would have make some noise with the way our goalie was hot.He was not just hot he was completely out of this world.Will this happen again? And even with this , we got destroyed by the Flyers.So realistically that big of a hot streak from our goalie is not likely so our chances are very very bad imo.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

how about you tell us why not ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Jigger77

Absolutely. They are proven winners. I don't see why they couldn't do it again. Not to mention we've gone further than we have in 17 years with them.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:19 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
how about you tell us why not ?
With the hottest goalie you could hope for , we couldn't get past the Flyers team.Not to mention Cammalleri is VERY unlikely to repeat.Where does that leave us for the next couple of years? We're very unlikely to draft a star even if you never know , and our young players , while good , are not exactly players that will bring you to the cup when comparing with other teams. Our 3 players are making too much money and there's not that many superstar we can sign in the next 3 years.Markov could be done for good and the chemistry is getting worse every minute.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:19 AM
googlymoogly

Gomez and Gionta won a cup without Cammalleri.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
I agree that any team that is not completely horrible would have make some noise with the way our goalie was hot.He was not just hot he was completely out of this world.Will this happen again? And even with this , we got destroyed by the Flyers.So realistically that big of a hot streak from our goalie is not likely so our chances are very very bad imo.
Halak was the #1 reason we made it that far, but you have to consider that a "hot goalie" is part of the team.

Giguere carried his 2003 Ducks to the Stanley Cup, likewise for Kiprusoff the year after.

In 05-06, Dwayne Roloson was otherworldly after the Oilers acquired him and Cam Ward came in and brilliantly took the #1 job from Geber.

In 06-07, Bryzgalov was a stud while Giguere was injured/not playing, and came close to an NHL record for shutout minutes. Then Giguere took over and was solid the rest of the way.

These are but examples how the goalie can be the #1 reason his team goes far. No reason to suggest Price can't do it.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Gomez and Gionta won a cup without Cammalleri.
Do I really need to name the players replacing Cammalleri?

Old
12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Halak was the #1 reason we made it that far, but you have to consider that a "hot goalie" is part of the team.
Oh I don't disagree there , but we didnt won.We won half what it takes and it took A LOT of good bounces and luck and 7 games both time just to be destroyed after.I don't say we can't have a ncie run , but to win it all with this group? I have my doubts.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:24 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
With the hottest goalie stretch you could hope for , we couldn't get past the Flyers team.Not to mention Cammalleri is VERY unlikely to repeat.Where does that leave us for the next couple of years? We're very unlikely to draft a star even if you never know , and our young players , while good , are not exactly players that will bring you to the cup when comparing with other teams. Our 3 players are making too much money and there's not that many superstar we can sign in the next 3 years.Markov could be done for good and the chemistry is getting worse every minute.
you know the era you're speaking of will last another 4 years, and A LOT can happen in four years...

So yeah, with our losing streak and the way the three guys are playing right now it doesnt look good... but hey, lest not forget half a team was let go over a single summer so...

now, knowing the "era" will last four years, where do you see guys like Eller, Weber, Price, Subban, Pouliot, Pyatt (even though he doesnt have much offense, he's still the "king of PK"), Leblanc maybe, or Tinordi ?

Old
12-29-2010, 10:27 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
you know the era you're speaking of will last another 4 years, and A LOT can happen in four years...

So yeah, with our losing streak and the way the three guys are playing right now it doesnt look good... but hey, lest not forget half a team was let go over a single summer so...

now, knowing the "era" will last four years, where do you see guys like Eller, Weber, Price, Subban, Pouliot, Pyatt (even though he doesnt have much offense, he's still the "king of PK"), Leblanc maybe, or Tinordi ?
I don't see this group winning it all to be honest , while not bad , not enough as far as I can tell.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
MathMan

The Habs are definitely one of the ten best teams in the NHL right now, third or fourth best in their conference, and given how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are (as the Habs showed in spades last season), I'm gonna say, "sure, why not"?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I don't see this group winning it all to be honest , while not bad , not enough as far as I can tell.
ok, since you didnt really awnser the question, here it it is

in, lets say, 3 years, where do you see
- Eller (same, average 2nd liner, good 2nd line C, etc) ?
- Pouliot ?
- Price ?
- Subban ?
- Weber ?
- Pyatt ?
- Leblanc ?
- Gorges ? (will be below 30)
- other prospects ?

these are the key players, cause no matter how well guys you named are doing, if they're the only one doing well, we wont win anything... even if they all put up 100 pts in a season...

and these guys are key for another reason, minus Price none of them will make over 2Mil... giving plenty of room (cap wise) to whoever is our GM then to improve the roster.

So yeah, you dont see it cause you focus on those 3 guys... but hey, albeit their salary, they're still only 3/20 you know...

Old
12-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs are definitely one of the ten best teams in the NHL right now, third or fourth best in their conference, and given how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are (as the Habs showed in spades last season), I'm gonna say, "sure, why not"?
along with NJ, in the last 10 games they are playing like the worst. so which is the real team? i'd like to agree with you though

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
along with NJ, in the last 10 games they are playing like the worst. so which is the real team? i'd like to agree with you though
I don't let the scores blind me to the underlying pictures.

Unlike NJ, their profile is a team that is playing well but not getting the bounces, and once that readjusts they will go back to winning and I see them as likely to win their division, although this unseemly, and largely undeserved, streak of losses, will make them look worse than they are on the final standings, unless they end up stealing a lot of games they should have lost. That hasn't happened in a while now has it? But it happened all the time last year and all the time during the playoffs.

This whole thread is another of those nonsensical panicked reactions that happen during a slump. As if the last ten games -- and, I hasted to add, the FINAL SCORES of the last ten games -- were actually representative of the team's actual ability.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
in the last 5-6 games, NYI have one of the best records in the NHL... I bet you 10$ they're still not making the playoffs... you in ?

Old
12-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

With some help... yes

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
??? Seriously.

( don't bring the ''anything can happen'' , I mean a serious chance )

SERIOUSLY?

I would assume that such a question would have been a joke!

Answer: Not a chance!

Reality: At BEST the Habs are a very mediocre team - they will struggle to take 8th place in their conference and there's a decent chance they won't make it to the playoffs.

Last year's playoff run was not reality - those type of runs rarely repeat themselves.

The Habs will remain mediocre as long as Jeff Molson is content with mediocrity!

Last edited by Melvin Udall: 12-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
FlyingRat

Maybe in the Gionta/Gomez/Cammalleri era, but not in the Jacques Martin era.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
couris

yes we can

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
SERIOUSLY?

I would assume that such a question would have been a joke!

Answer: Not a chance!

Reality: At BEST the Habs are a very mediocre team - they will struggle to take 8th place in their conference and there's a decent chance they won't make it to the playoffs.

Last year's playoff run was not reality - those type of runs rarely repeat themselves.

The Habs will remain mediocre as long as Jeff Molson is content with mediocrity!
think you should become an Isles fan

Old
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
MTL-rules

No

(Let's see how optomistic fans are (or dillusionnal), let's put a poll in there)

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:02 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
No

(Let's see how optomistic fans are (or dillusionnal), let's put a poll in there)
since you're one of the few "realistic" fans in here... maybe you can come up with some FACTS showing it wont happen

Old
12-29-2010, 11:07 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
since you're one of the few "realistic" fans in here... maybe you can come up with some FACTS showing it wont happen
I did in other threads... I've been saying the same thing over and over again for the last year and a half... I don't feel like repeating myself in yet another thread... that's why it would be more interesting to have a poll... happy now ?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote