HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Devils fire head coach MaClean, Lemaire back behind the bench

Old
12-23-2010, 10:03 AM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
OT: Devils fire head coach MaClean, Lemaire back behind the bench

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=346655

They bring Lemaire back again??? LOL!! How will this jumpstart the offense?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

...lol devils

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

The Flyers have been where the Devils are now, so I have a hard time laughing. That team has some real problems, and thankfully won't be a part of the playoff hunt this season.
Whispers of Brodeur being willing to waive his NTC says something about how bad things are, with or without John MacLean.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 11:58 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
The Flyers have been where the Devils are now, so I have a hard time laughing.
Agreed. We laughed through a great deal of "that season" but it still sucked beyond belief and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
chaosof99*

Quite honestly, I think the Devils collapse has been a long time brewing, considering they haven't made it past the 2nd round since the lockout. I also do not understand why they went for Lemaire again, since he's going to quit after the season again. As such I don't think he'll change much and they would have done a lot better putting in a new coach and build from that new coach outward.

Devils season is toast. I enjoy it, simply because I know that their three fans where laughing their ***** off when the Flyers were in that situation.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:45 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Agreed. We laughed through a great deal of "that season" but it still sucked beyond belief and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
What season?

I went to one game that year, I got the tickets for free. My dad and I couldn't help but laugh. It was terrible.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
It makes me happy to see the Devils collapsing. Finally.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Mgkibbles

They're a mess.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
im not shocked. didnt think he was a good coach in Lowell.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
zarley zelepukin

I think the best thing that could happen for the Devils at this point is to keep sucking. If Lemaire somehow turns them around a bit and they end up 10th in the east, so what? They would only be screwing themselves out of a better draft pick, their season is most likely already cooked at this point.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
It makes me happy to see the Devils collapsing. Finally.
I see your point, but I like it much better when they're competitive and the Flyers beat them. Same with Toronto.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Making a coaching change is the only thing that I can see that is consistent with the operating procedures of the past.

Their decision to trade for Kovalchuk and their huge contract to keep him is not Devils like... Their hard headed stance that fried their Cap situation and their thumbing their nose at the NHL and CBA by dressing under the allowed numbers of players ti prove a point is mind boggling to me in the light of the clever and calculated manner Lamoriello has always run the Organization.

It has been said by some pundits that Lou was forced to go after Kovalchuk and then again to keep him at any cost... and that he rebelled against ownership and the NHL by biting off his nose to spite his face. This to me is an about face by such a smart and well oiled operation.

IMO, the manner the Flyers went to pot and the ownership rectified it is in no way similar to how the Devils declined and how they are attempting to correct their path of decline... If the Devils clean house and move Lou, I don't see them necessarily becoming better since to me the blame lies above him; with the Flyers the ownership dedication to staying their course of having a top flight organization did not waiver, rather the GM burned out and the Club took a bad path after the Lockout... with the Devils, it seems the GM had the operation of the team become an uphill battle against ownership.

This is of course only if the pundits are correct and Lou was not the one who brought it all upon himself with Kovalchuk and the NHL CBA circumvention and subsequent Cap trouble... But to me this is not the actions of such a clever GM as Lamoirello has always proven to be.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Quite honestly, I think the Devils collapse has been a long time brewing, considering they haven't made it past the 2nd round since the lockout. I also do not understand why they went for Lemaire again, since he's going to quit after the season again. As such I don't think he'll change much and they would have done a lot better putting in a new coach and build from that new coach outward.

Devils season is toast. I enjoy it, simply because I know that their three fans where laughing their ***** off when the Flyers were in that situation.
Lemaire is only an interim coach. There have been rumours out of New Jersey for awhile now that if MacLean got fired, one of the first coaches that was going to be interviewed was Ken Hitchcock.

And agreed that the mess in New Jersey has been building for awhile. Lou made some real questionable moves after the lock out in terms of signing guys. He signed a Dainus Zubrus who only played well for a little over two thirds of a season in Washington. He gave Brian Rolston a big contract for a player over 35 and Lou got away from doing what he does best - drafting young players who can fit in when a veteran leaves.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
I see your point, but I like it much better when they're competitive and the Flyers beat them. Same with Toronto.
Oh come on, I know this is the internet and all, but let's be realistic.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Lemaire is only an interim coach. There have been rumours out of New Jersey for awhile now that if MacLean got fired, one of the first coaches that was going to be interviewed was Ken Hitchcock.

And agreed that the mess in New Jersey has been building for awhile. Lou made some real questionable moves after the lock out in terms of signing guys. He signed a Dainus Zubrus who only played well for a little over two thirds of a season in Washington. He gave Brian Rolston a big contract for a player over 35 and Lou got away from doing what he does best - drafting young players who can fit in when a veteran leaves.
I agree that the Devils were on a decline, but all GMs make decisions that don't pan out... and Lou hasn't had the success he had before the Lockout. But The Devils IIRC have never been the big market mentality team and one would think that a Cap wouldn't effect them as much as the Flyers, Detroit, Rangers, Toronto, etc. I do think however that the CBA rules would have an effect on his operation... That said, Lou from the start was able to work his tricks with the new CBA and play it to his advantage... and he was getting away with it.

I suppose it's just the Kovalchuk signing that has me scratching my head... it seems to far from the Devils TEAM oriented style -- that and arguably the best NHL Goalie ever of course -- It seems like they got an odd itch and then went Hell bent on proving that they were above everyone else and could do whatever it took and F the NHL... Totally unDevils to me.

Old
12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

If Devils fans thought that the hockey since Ocotober was boring to watch, they are in store for a real treat with Lemaire taking over.

And I couldn't care less. It pleases me so much to see the Devils in this state of tomfoolery and peril.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
If Devils fans thought that the hockey since Ocotober was boring to watch, they are in store for a real treat with Lemaire taking over.

And I couldn't care less. It pleases me so much to see the Devils in this state of tomfoolery and peril.
Devils hockey has always been boring hockey... but at least it was winning hockey. Now it's less boring... since they have no leads to protect with the trap... but it is not winning hockey.

Old
12-23-2010, 03:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

To be honest, this is kind of a long time coming.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Is this NJ's idea of a Christmas card to their divisional rivals? I don't see this salvaging the season.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:09 PM
kicksave27

I completely expected the devils to suck for a long time once brodeur broke down and they changed the rules to prevent devil hockey. And basically both have happened. Now they really hamstrung themselves with bad contracts. I couldn't be more thrilled actually. Well only if something unfortunate would happen to crosby, but short of that, NJ is back to being irrelevant as a franchise, which even when they were winning, nobody actually cared. Their "parades" looked like small family BBQ's in the swamps of jersey. Now they have a nice new empty building instead of an old crappy empty building, I'm sure the taxpayers are thrilled, who are mostly NYR and Flyer fans.

Hopefully they won't get adopted by league like the pens did.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Cleary84

Devils season is done, sorry. I just don't want to see them get Larsson/Courturier.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I completely expected the devils to suck for a long time once brodeur broke down and they changed the rules to prevent devil hockey. And basically both have happened. Now they really hamstrung themselves with bad contracts. I couldn't be more thrilled actually. Well only if something unfortunate would happen to crosby, but short of that, NJ is back to being irrelevant as a franchise, which even when they were winning, nobody actually cared. Their "parades" looked like small family BBQ's in the swamps of jersey. Now they have a nice new empty building instead of an old crappy empty building, I'm sure the taxpayers are thrilled, who are mostly NYR and Flyer fans.

Hopefully they won't get adopted by league like the pens did.
Everything in this post is true.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Two Words "Screw them" I cannot stand their pompous fans.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
While I can be sympathetic because if "that season", I don't feel bad one iota. Many of their fans REVELED in our pain that year.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Quite honestly, I think the Devils collapse has been a long time brewing, considering they haven't made it past the 2nd round since the lockout.
I agree. I think that the collapse began when Stevens retired, and has subsequently been worsening with the departure of the likes of Niedermayer and Rafalski and Martin. That defense was awesome. Too much credit went to Brodeur when that defense was really the main factor. Not to try to belittle Brodeur, but a goalie can only do so much.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote