HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Ron Tugnutt had swapped places with Chris Osgood

Old
12-28-2010, 12:14 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
If Ron Tugnutt had swapped places with Chris Osgood

Would have he been able to build the same career that Osgood did with Detroit? (and a couple seasons elsewhere)

Tugnutt is my favourite goalie of all time, and was believed he was a good goalie. If Tuggy had been given the same ball that Osgood ran with behind those Detroit times, could he have reached 400 wins, or at least made an even bigger well known career?

My vote is a resounding yes, as I think Tuggy was just a good of a goalie as Osgood. You agree, disagree?

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

He was average. Better than Gerber, not better than Lalime.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:23 AM
jordan7hm

Disagree.

Not really based on much. I just think Osgoode is fairly underrated and Tugnutt was only a barely above average NHL quality goalie.

He would have done well, but he wouldn't have done as well as Osgoode.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

i don't think so, but that's just my opinion. while i think people sometimes overlook Osgood as a goalie and simply credit Detroit's skaters for his accolades; which is partly true. tug was never a better goalie than Chris and therefore probably would not have achieved his 'greatness'

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:47 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

See a lot of people disagree, thats fine, I still hold the belief had Tugnutt been on all those Red Wings teams, he would have earned the same hardware Osgood had.

As far as Tugnutt vs. Lalime, Tugnutt was a far more athletic goalie than Lalime IMO, and still had a better overall mental makeup than Patty.

Don't forget Tugnutt posted a 1.79 GAA in 98-99, one of the best GAA's in modern history, why Osgood sat at 25th. He also had a .925 save pct. And that team still might not even be comparable to some of the Red Wings teams fielded during that time.

Tugnutts career stats are a .895 save pct and a 3.05 GAA.
Osgoods sits at .905 and 2.49. I know stats aren't everything, believe me Im not a huge starts person, but

I pretty much don't have to mention the teams Osgood had in front of him compared to Tugnutt, where Tugnutt was also on an expansion Blue Jackets squad and a very green Ottawa Senators team.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Would have he been able to build the same career that Osgood did with Detroit? (and a couple seasons elsewhere)

Tugnutt is my favourite goalie of all time, and was believed he was a good goalie. If Tuggy had been given the same ball that Osgood ran with behind those Detroit times, could he have reached 400 wins, or at least made an even bigger well known career?

My vote is a resounding yes, as I think Tuggy was just a good of a goalie as Osgood. You agree, disagree?
Tugnutt was a GREAT goalie. Can you compare him to the greats (Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, etc...) ... no.

However, he was a heart and soul member of his team. He was great with the community. He played with passion and above all, happiness! Tugnutt was a goaltender who genuinely enjoyed his job. He was always vocal on the bench and played some amazing hockey when on the ice.

My avatar says it all. Tugnutt was and is my favorite Sens player of all time thus far.

I say we retire Tugnutt's jersey.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:12 AM
frontsfan2005

Tugnutt didn't have the durability to play 55-60 games a season, which Osgood did on a regular basis from 1997-2004. Tugnutt also split time with Damian Rhodes, while if Osgood was in Ottawa during the same time period, I'm sure he'd be the undisputed go to guy on the Senators.

Tugnutt was a good goalie, and had his moments (the 70 save game, his entire 98-99 season), however, he doesn't come close to Osgood.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:24 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:32 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

I heard Tugger on the radio recently (he's involved with the world juniors) and he pretty much said that he felt he was rushed into the NHL and his development was set back significantly because of it. If you compare his early days in say Edmonton, and when he hit his stride in Ottawa it does make sense.

Could he have had Osgoode's success if he had been brought up the same way with the same team? Perhaps . . . but we'll never know. What we do know is that he was the guy that got a bad Senators team into the playoffs for the first time ever, and set a couple modern day records for single game shots/saves and lowest gaa in a single season.

He was solid for a time.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:35 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

in the playoffs, absolutely.

I'm not sure if tugger could have performed as well in the regular season over 65 games though.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:11 AM
PCooper

This should just be the Ron Tugnutt appreciation thread.

I was devastated the day he was traded, love Tugger.

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
See a lot of people disagree, thats fine, I still hold the belief had Tugnutt been on all those Red Wings teams, he would have earned the same hardware Osgood had.

As far as Tugnutt vs. Lalime, Tugnutt was a far more athletic goalie than Lalime IMO, and still had a better overall mental makeup than Patty.

Don't forget Tugnutt posted a 1.79 GAA in 98-99, one of the best GAA's in modern history, why Osgood sat at 25th. He also had a .925 save pct. And that team still might not even be comparable to some of the Red Wings teams fielded during that time.

Tugnutts career stats are a .895 save pct and a 3.05 GAA.
Osgoods sits at .905 and 2.49. I know stats aren't everything, believe me Im not a huge starts person, but

I pretty much don't have to mention the teams Osgood had in front of him compared to Tugnutt, where Tugnutt was also on an expansion Blue Jackets squad and a very green Ottawa Senators team.
He played 43 games in 98-99 where as most starting goalies play 60+ games. He was probably the more athletic goalie because he was 5'11. Lalime was 6'3 and had a butterfly style.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:32 PM
dpw

Of course tugger would have all the same acalades as osgoode if he were in detroit all those years.

Anyone playing there entier career with Lidstrom in front of them would be a HOF.

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Tugnutt lives about 5 minutes up the street from me, very nice guy.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
This should just be the Ron Tugnutt appreciation thread.

I was devastated the day he was traded, love Tugger.
Me too. Worst day as a Sens fan.

And we traded him for Tom Barrasso. Terrible trade.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote