HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets Season Ticket Prices--A Lower Starting Point Needed?

Old
12-27-2010, 12:13 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Jackets Season Ticket Prices--A Lower Starting Point Needed?

One point of frustration for Season Ticket Holders seems to be over the fact that deals are given to the casual fan and they are left paying a pretty high price for their tickets.

I thought it was worth looking at other NHL markets and their ticket pricing. I know that I pay substantially less in Anaheim than what I would pay for comparable, upper bowl tickets at Nationwide. But, Anaheim is a different market with a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar.

What I discovered is more than a little disturbing. Let's just start with the most extreme.

Tampa Bay--Not sure how many of these (if any) are left, but it makes me want to regularly fly to South Florida. $239! Second cheapest is still only $599.

Florida--A struggling market that hasn't iced a decent team this decade charges just $354.75 for its cheapest season ticket plan [for purposes of this discussion, that is the metric--the cheapest season ticket plan price for 1 ticket]. Atlanta is slightly higher at $440 (note that you can get some lower bowl end zone tickets in Atlanta for less than $1,000!).

Miami and Atlanta both have NBA competition, so they are not perfect comparables. But Tampa Bay? Unreal.

What about Detroit? Yes, the perenial Stanley Cup contenders. Lowest price? $675 in Hockeytown!

What about the LA metro? $817 for the Kings. $562 for the Ducks.

Other Western American Cities--$817 for the Sharks. Colorado--$1,012. Dallas--$615. Phoenix? $410.

With all of that as prologue, let us look at our Blue Jackets. $720 is the cheapest price. Wouldn't it make some sense to consider lowering this price in order to attract more season ticket holders as a primary way to increase attendance instead of lowering ticket prices to $10 for the walk-ups? Wouldn't a $10 price on some portion of the upper bowl tickets for season ticket holders be a good way to bring in some fans (or maintain those who are considering leaving next year)?

I can only speak from my experience, but now that I've had season tickets to an NHL team, it would be difficult for me to go back to not having them. And based on the comments of others on here, I think that sentiment is felt by other ticket holders--you become emotionally invested when you go to that many games. Why not try to get more people invested in this team by lowering the season ticket prices as a first move instead of continually increasing season ticket prices only to then drastically slash prices for walkups?

That's my two cents as someone from afar. I'd be interested to hear what Jackets fans in Columbus think about this.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
blahblah

I have no problems having lower season ticket prices in attempt to get more people in the seats while we suck.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
EDM

Since I am now paying over $5000 for my two seats of suck, I think lowering all season tickets is a good idea.

EDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM
BluejacketNut

I like the 'give half back if we dont make the playoffs', makes them actually have a goal for making the playoffs....even though one would think that would be a goal as it is, but its obviously not a huge concern for this team

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 04:03 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I think they should give everybody in attendance for the last home game their money back!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:27 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

As a future STH I support this.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote