HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Robbie Schremp Thoughts?

Old
12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
RoeperRoger

vCash: 500
Robbie Schremp Thoughts?

Hey was always a fan on Robbie when he was in the Oilers system and hated how management treated him and coaching(Mac-t) was just wondering if the stats back up the way he's been playing don't really get to watch a lot of Islanders games.

Heres hoping he puts up 60pts this year and becomes a great NHLer in the future.

RoeperRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
he is producing a lot and isnt a defensive liability as much as he was (occasionally has trouble getting the puck out of the zone) and is growing on me.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
he is producing a lot and isnt a defensive liability as much as he was (occasionally has trouble getting the puck out of the zone) and is growing on me.
Pretty much sums it up. I think he's finally trying to learn how to be an NHL player. Hopefully for his sake it isn't too late.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Hipster Doofus

18 in 44 last year, 13 in 19 this year. He's producing and woorking hard. I'd liek to have him back again next year. Ditto for Grabner.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:22 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
His offensive output doesn't override his defensive shortcomings. If this team is going to be a contender, they have to raise the bar on the Schremp's of the hockey world. He's got a half of season to prove himself, however, if he doesn't significantly improve his defensive responsibility and strength, I wouldn't re-up him.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:37 PM
majormet

It is because of games like tonight where I don't think this guy is going to make it. He was so poor defenisively, caused 2 goals and floated on a 3rd goal, but then scoring a pretty goal.

If we could sign a guy like Laich in the offseason, there would be no place for Schremp on this team except on a 4th line that took occasional shifts.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
It is because of games like tonight where I don't think this guy is going to make it. He was so poor defenisively, caused 2 goals and floated on a 3rd goal, but then scoring a pretty goal.

If we could sign a guy like Laich in the offseason, there would be no place for Schremp on this team except on a 4th line that took occasional shifts.
Schremp is better defensively than Tavares and not exactly far behind in production. Perhaps we should trade him too to "raise the bar."

Old
12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

While schremp isn't going to be mistaken for mike peca, his defense isn't nearly as bad as people get on him for. Not every player on a roster is going to be a great 2-way guy, but if he consistently puts up 60 pts, its something that can be dealt with by finding prope linemates. He has gotten better & is still young with tiem to get better

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Jester9881

I think he's not good enough offensively to be a top 6 forward on a contending team. I also think he's not good enough defensively or physically to be a bottom six forward on ANY team.

My opinion of him hasn't changed pretty much since he's gotten here. The sooner he's gone the better as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for PaP.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Jester9881

I remember when Jason Blake potted 40 goals and everyone was drooling. I always said that guy belonged on the bottom two lines. How far off was I back then? Schremp has produced, for the same reasons Blake got those 40 goals.

Here's the thing, atleast Blake was useful as a third line energy player.

Ask yourself, does a winning organization seek a player like Rob Schremp?

Old
12-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I remember when Jason Blake potted 40 goals and everyone was drooling. I always said that guy belonged on the bottom two lines. How far off was I back then? Schremp has produced, for the same reasons Blake got those 40 goals.

Here's the thing, atleast Blake was useful as a third line energy player.

Ask yourself, does a winning organization seek a player like Rob Schremp?
Does a winning organization seek a player like Samsonov? Cause the Canes did. Does a wnning organization play Briere, then a waiver pickup, in its top six? Cause the Sabres did. Does a winning organization sign Bertuzzi (this applies to both Ducks and Wings really)? Does a winning organization give Marc Andre Fleury that absurd contract? Does a winning organization let its only puck moving d-man go and throw all of its money at a LW? Does a winning organization forget the CBA rules and put itself into cap hell? Does a winning organization build itself around 6th and 7th round no name picks?

This winning organization stuff is complete BS. A winning team would easily take a shot at Schremp. He's playmaker playing on a team that can't score and giving an honest effort every night and has improved incrementally since given a chance. Fans liek to imagine that Wings and Devils have these godliek standards. Its BS. Winning teams bring in players who fans would consider "not a winning player" all the time. Sometimes they work (in which case we all forget the player was "not a winning player") and sometimes they don't (in which case we just forget). But a guy with skill, who produces, and works hard on and off the ice would not be without a job for long. Winning teams are always looking for cap friendly ways to add skill. Schremp would be a very nice pickup for a team looking to bring a cheap cap friendly guy cause his upside is very high if coupled with NHL skill.

Last edited by Hipster Doofus: 12-27-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old
12-27-2010, 10:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I watch most of the Isles games, and I think Schremp is pretty solid. Surprised to see so many calling him a huge defensive liability. He doesn't seem that bad in his own end to me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Antidote

Schremp has had 2 poor defensive games. -4 against the Canes in his first game of the year and -3 tonight. Until tonight, he was the only even forward on the team so he has been an overall positive player between the 2 bookend games.

He's 20GP 7 7 14 which projects (according to NHL.com) to 68GP 23 23 46 which in turn projects to 54 points over 82 games. Tavares led the team last year in points with 54 over 82 games.

I agree that the Wings or the Pens likely won't likely pick him up on waivers but, at this point in time, he's contributing to this team and has skills no one else has. He's 24, has 71 NHL games and very obviously loves to play for the Isles. He needs to continue to put up points and get better defensively to get to TC next year.

It would be awesome to have a lineup full of big, experienced and prolific scorers but we don't and won't in the near future. So instead we have young, cheap, inexperienced players who are learning the game. Maybe a few of them will pay back the investment. Most won't! They're going to let Schremp play and make decisions on his future based on his contribution and coachability.

That's pretty much it. No secrets here. Fits current Isles philosophy like a glove. Young, cheap, low risk, potential high reward. Bonus is that he's good in the room and liked by fans.

Carry on!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:49 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Schremp is better defensively than Tavares and not exactly far behind in production. Perhaps we should trade him too to "raise the bar."
Different players, different contexts. JT is younger, has a higher upside, is an integral part of the core, and IMO is more reliable defensively than Schremp.

Schremp is more of a filler, stopgap piece at this point. And he's doing just that, providing some offensive output to keep the team afloat until better players come along; but he's not a long-term piece. IMO we can find/develop more productive AND defensively conscious 2nd-line centers, and he's not suited for the bottom-6; until then he remains as a stopgap.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:00 AM
majormet

Quote:
JT is 4 years younger and probably a little better defensively than Schremp even now. I like Schremp's offensive game but we are not going to be able to carry him if we become a playoff oriented team because his defensive deficiencies are alarming. He caused 2 goals tonight alone.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Not sure why everyone is so down on Schremp... A "winning team" wouldn't have him? Well, we're not a winning team... And before we oust our 7th leading scorer, why don't we point fingers at Gillies, Weight, Konopka, and Sim?

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:43 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
I'm going to disagree 1000% with this. Let people look at +/- all they want, but John Tavares is not the defensive problem on his line.

Schremp will sometimes come back well on a play, but he's also extremely weak when the play is in his own end. He's quicker than Tavares, but not nearly as intelligent once the play is in any zone (and Tavares starts and stops better and is already much stronger.) Edit - To add more about Schremp, and stay on topic a bit, he's just far too aimless in the offensive zone. He's pretty good at rushing the puck, but also doesn't have the best play selection. He can make some very good passes, but he'll force too many plays and too often gets caught out of position on all zones. I think Schremp has been trying to improve, but I'm not even sure he'll read the play as well as he needs to in order to be an all-around player. He'll need players that complement him.

I wish I could show you a few plays from the past few games. I could show you exactly when players are out of position and the opportunities that they led to for the other team. Our problems are beyond just direct giveaways, many of which often occur, but sometimes odd-man rushed against are created because a player simply went to the wrong part of the ice (or attacked the wrong player.) This is where +/- can be a telling stat, or absolutely worthless. It really depends on what caused the plus or minus.

Speaking of which, Schremp and Comeau is a bad defensive combo. Bad, bad, bad, bad. Sim is bad for the mix, as well. That line is ****ing brutal.

Parenteau is the weak link on JT's line. If Parenteau isn't finishing, he's worthless. He creates nothing for himself or others. He has terrible play selection. He tries hard, but he doesn't have any clue what the **** he should be doing. Schremp and Comeau are better, but they are not smart hockey players.

Both of those lines can have good offensive shifts, but they are far too prone to spending a great amount of time in their own end after one of the weaker links coughs up the puck.

The sooner people realize that, and the sooner the Isles do something to change it, the better the team will be. You can't carry so many flawed hockey players.

Schremp and Comeau need a lot of refining. PAP seems hopeless in that category. I don't have that much hope for Comeau, but when he plays a simple came, he can be very effective. Schremp might have some room to improve.

Swap out PAP and put in KO. Never play Gillies. Don't ever let Sim be anything but a 4th liner.

Comeau-Tavares-KO
Moulson-Schremp-Joensuu
Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey (I listed them as our "3rd line", but they've been our best at creating opportunities and getting the puck out of their own end.)
Martin-Konopka-Sim

Keep Comeau and Schremp separate; **** their "chemistry". You may have noticed PAP missing, that's how bad PAP is; let some other team take his "production." That lineup still needs serious upgrades, but until we bring in better players, we'll need to do some balancing. (Of course, the lineup is easier to balance with KO in it.)

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 12-28-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added some more about Schremp and had to fill my quota for words in a post
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Imo you're fans in 2 or 3 more seasons will be calling him the biggest waiver steal since StLouis just some points for you guys he has not even played 82 nhl games in his career and is on pace for 50 plus points i looked back to where he started getting hot last year and now has 34 pts in his last 45 games prorating to over 60+ pts per season, His defence will only get better with his experience and Imo he is nowhere near his offensive peak in this League.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:05 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilsburnsclean View Post
Imo you're fans in 2 or 3 more seasons will be calling him the biggest waiver steal since StLouis just some points for you guys he has not even played 82 nhl games in his career and is on pace for 50 plus points i looked back to where he started getting hot last year and now has 34 pts in his last 45 games prorating to over 60+ pts per season, His defence will only get better with his experience and Imo he is nowhere near his offensive peak in this League.
One can make the same exact arguments for one PA Parenteau, who is better defensively than Schremp.

Not that I am an advocate of Parenteau.

Old
12-28-2010, 09:37 AM
1islefan

Offensively Schremp seems to have come into his own, much more patient with the puck, head up and consistantly makes good plays during the course of games. Defensively he is a mess, he flat out sucks. I don't know what some posters on here are watching by saying he isn't that bad! I'm tired of watching him try to stick and poke check the opponent. 1 on1 along the boards he always gets beat, gives up the puck and never comes away with it, in his defensive zone he simply floats around not knowing where to go or what to do. He wathces the puck to much and doesn't pay enough attention to the player he should be covering. I like the guys offensive side but defensively he IS a liability.

1islefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
And before we oust our 7th leading scorer, why don't we point fingers at Gillies, Weight, Konopka, and Sim?
Because those players aren't scorers?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:34 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Bad hockey makes for a scapegoat.

His foibles would be more easily tolerated on a team like the Flyers of the mid/late 90's - He wouldn't look anywhere near as bad on a line with a 'safety valve' thinking defensively and a power forward doing most of the dirty work. Unless the player in question last name is Ovechkin, Stamkos, Zetterberg or Crosby, nearly every player has a flaw or two in their game. Schremp - as flawed as he is - can be counted on for about 3 points every 4 games (on average).

The guy gets points. He's young enough to the extent that he may very well bloom into a better player, but with the waves of injuries and garbage this team has (iced) put up with, his brainfarts make him the frequent scapegoat. Could he be called upon to do more than get points? Highlight reel goals are nice, but can he become a player that can be depended on throughout a season for more?

I say let it ride, since we're clearly not well armed with guys that can get points at about a .75 PPG clip. (I'd have Tavares centering him & "Mr. 3-zone" Okposo when he's back and see if it walks, but that's just me.) If he added any redeeming aspect to his game, he wouldn't get thrown to the lions so much around here, I think. Considering what there is to work with, it can't hurt to see if he can at least keep his pace, if not improve it.

(PS: Even Crapenteau wouldn't get shivved around here so much if the NYI started the season with a healthy top-6 on D.)

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 12-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Does a winning organization seek a player like Samsonov? Cause the Canes did.
Did they win with Samsonov?

Quote:
Does a wnning organization play Briere, then a waiver pickup, in its top six?
Brier is a whole world better than Schremp both offensively and defensively

Quote:
Does a winning organization sign Bertuzzi (this applies to both Ducks and Wings really)?
Bertuzzi brings other aspects with his game that Schremp cannot. Also, he was running on past preformance. Come back to me when Schremp ever produces like Bert did in his prime.

Quote:
Does a winning organization give Marc Andre Fleury that absurd contract?
Eh? They drafted him 1st overall, and he won them a cup

Quote:
Does a winning organization let its only puck moving d-man go and throw all of its money at a LW? Does a winning organization forget the CBA rules and put itself into cap hell? Does a winning organization build itself around 6th and 7th round no name picks?
Now you're just rambling.... reaching for some kind of argument against my stance. Very telling. But I'll humor you anyway.... everyone knows those moves were ownership driven. And you just proved my point, because look where they are now.

Quote:
This winning organization stuff is complete BS. A winning team would easily take a shot at Schremp. He's playmaker playing on a team that can't score and giving an honest effort every night and has improved incrementally since given a chance. Fans liek to imagine that Wings and Devils have these godliek standards. Its BS. Winning teams bring in players who fans would consider "not a winning player" all the time. Sometimes they work (in which case we all forget the player was "not a winning player") and sometimes they don't (in which case we just forget). But a guy with skill, who produces, and works hard on and off the ice would not be without a job for long. Winning teams are always looking for cap friendly ways to add skill. Schremp would be a very nice pickup for a team looking to bring a cheap cap friendly guy cause his upside is very high if coupled with NHL skill.
Time will prove me correct. When this is his last stop in the NHL, you will hopefully understand why by then.

Old
12-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
Not sure why everyone is so down on Schremp... A "winning team" wouldn't have him? Well, we're not a winning team... And before we oust our 7th leading scorer, why don't we point fingers at Gillies, Weight, Konopka, and Sim?
Maybe because I don't think this team can make any steps forward carrying stiffs like Schremp and PaP?

We don't point fingers at those guys, because they're not getting quality minutes on the top two lines and PP.

Old
12-28-2010, 11:45 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Maybe because I don't think this team can make any steps forward carrying stiffs like Schremp and PaP?

We don't point fingers at those guys, because they're not getting quality minutes on the top two lines and PP.
Imagine if we upgraded PAP with UFA Tim Connolly and Schremp with UFA Brooks Laich, and then had Okposo upgrading Sim. If the Isles don't sign Roloson, Wisniewski, PAP, Martinek, Gervais, Konopka, and Schremp, they have a lot of money coming off the books. I would get Moulson and Grabner signed. But you can throw a collective 9 million at Connolly (not Kevin) and Laich and outpay the market and get these guys for 4-5 years.

Let's say De Haan and Poulin have good camps, you can go into 2011/12 with:

Moulson/JT/Connolly
Comeau/Laich/Okposo
Grabner/Nielsen/Bailey
Martin/Haley/Hunter

Streit/MacDonald
Eaton/Hamonic
Mottau/De Haan

Bench: Reese and Hillen

Goalie: Poulin/Boucher (another UFA), assuming DP has c-men in his knee.

Put a guy like Granato behind the bench who has now learned under Bylsma and you have a playoff team.