HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC vs Dream (Pride)

Old
12-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Riddum

vCash: 500
First of all, Dream is a freak show. All I see on this card are a bunch of mismatches, over-the-hill fighters or tomato cans.

They don't have the resources or the stable of fighters to consistently put on shows, quality shows or competitive fights, so what do they do? They put on a couple of shows a year and put all of their resources on that final show.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hey I've never watched a Dream event. I am a new MMA fan.

Will the Dream card be carried on TV in Canada?

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
GlobalNews

HDNET will show it.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Moklok

If you arent excited for any Chris Leben fight, I dont know what to say . Plus, 125 was supposed to also have Roy Nelson vs Shane Carwin and Jose Aldo vs Grispi, both were pulled. The fact that both of these great fights were pulled and you still got a relativly nice card is pretty crazy.

Last edited by Moklok: 12-29-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Moklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks... don't think we get HDNet on my carrier. I'm hopeful someone will purchase the rights. However I will probably dl the next day. I can't think of a better thing to do with a hang-over on New Years Day!

Although, I'm intrigued by the prospects of some half-ways normal guy taking on a Sumo it reeks of PT Barnum. So Dream seems like a bit of a freakshow to me.

125 has some good contests and will be an exciting card to watch.

Overall Good Weekend of violent sports!!!

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moklok View Post
If you arent excited for any Chris Leben fight, I dont know what to say
Well I'm not, I can't stand Leben or his fights. He usually gasses in the first round, then stands there like a zombie for the next two. You are one of the few Leben fans I have ever ran into , even on Sherdog.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Well I'm not, I can't stand Leben or his fights. He usually gasses in the first round, then stands there like a zombie for the next two. You are one of the few Leben fans I have ever ran into , even on Sherdog.
loll , sherdog forum is not a liable source

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Moklok

Quote:
Gas out in the first round? 2 times fight of the night, 2 times KO of the night, most of his fights are just wars. Im not saying he the best, but his fights are always fun to watch.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
loll , sherdog forum is not a liable source
hence the 'even on sherdog' point I made.

Quote:
Gas out in the first round? 2 times fight of the night, 2 times KO of the night, most of his fights are just wars. Im not saying he the best, but his fights are always fun to watch.
I'm just not a Leben fan, what can I say. He may last three rounds, but he looks spent. He's good to fill up a card, but not to build a card around, is that more fair to say?

Old
12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Dunlop

Both cards have some interesting fights but if Dynamite wasn't at 4 am ET I would definitely watch it.

Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
I'm just not a Leben fan, what can I say. He may last three rounds, but he looks spent. He's good to fill up a card, but not to build a card around, is that more fair to say?
good point I agree on that , he is a great 2nd - 3rd liner

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Hermamoud

Dream announced that the fight between Overeem and Duffee will be for the Heavyweight belt. The guy who got knocked out by Mike Russow will fight for a heavyweight belt.

Last edited by Hermamoud: 12-30-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:25 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

ufc is <3

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
If you arent excited for any Chris Leben fight, I dont know what to say . Plus, 125 was supposed to also have Roy Nelson vs Shane Carwin and Jose Aldo vs Grispi, both were pulled. The fact that both of these great fights were pulled and you still got a relativly nice card is pretty crazy.
Agreed, the UFC has come along way in 10 years. The cards are 100 times greater than they use to be. I find nearly every card has a few exciting fights on it. Sometimes the lesser known fights turn out to be the better ones, but Dana has done a fantastic job. I can't really stand him either, but he is what he is and had helped take the UFC to the top. I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

The fact that them 2 fights were pulled from UFC 125 and they still have a card at all is a testament to how well they've done. Velasquez is pulled from 129 in TO too, might mean GSP vs Shields.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
But but but...GSP vs Koscheck was soooo good!..

UFC realized they could make any fight interesting to most viewers as long as they marketed the crap out of it.
Exactly. They can make the 'top contender' look like he has any chance when everybody know he's gonna get killed.

But but but Koschek improved his stand up! He has knock out power! He's a good wrestler! I mean if I'd train 4 months for a fight I'd improve my stand up too, doesn't mean i could still hit GSP.

The problem I have with UFC lately is there's no challenge in most weight category. GSP kills people left and right and no matter how much they hype fight it's just not credible. Jack Sheilds won't come any close to beat GSP barring luck.

The only interesting category is LW and the last Silva's defense was a good fight. Silva in a good fight, long time no see!! Heavyweight doesn't appeal me too much and lightweight I didn't really caught any title fight since Penn's last defense. It seems pretty good weight cstegory especially with WEC. It's not one guy among boys at least.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
GlobalNews

This entire thread can be summed up in one phrase...

"That's your opinion, man"

Doesn't make it right, wrong or better. Can everyone please stop acting like their opinion is somehow a fact.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
This entire thread can be summed up in one phrase...

"That's your opinion, man"

Doesn't make it right, wrong or better. Can everyone please stop acting like their opinion is somehow a fact.
You're on a message board. People have discussions. Opinions are given left and right, and then discussed. Welcome to a Forum.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Exactly. They can make the 'top contender' look like he has any chance when everybody know he's gonna get killed.

But but but Koschek improved his stand up! He has knock out power! He's a good wrestler! I mean if I'd train 4 months for a fight I'd improve my stand up too, doesn't mean i could still hit GSP.

The problem I have with UFC lately is there's no challenge in most weight category. GSP kills people left and right and no matter how much they hype fight it's just not credible. Jack Sheilds won't come any close to beat GSP barring luck.

The only interesting category is LW and the last Silva's defense was a good fight. Silva in a good fight, long time no see!! Heavyweight doesn't appeal me too much and lightweight I didn't really caught any title fight since Penn's last defense. It seems pretty good weight cstegory especially with WEC. It's not one guy among boys at least.
i'm sure you probably felt the same way about Sonnen/Silva. Even though he whooped AS ass for 4.5 rds(he was juiced) lol, Anything can happen and GSP will eventually lose. Sure Koschek only had a punchers chance, but it was still a chance. If no one beats GSP he will have no choice but to jump weight and fight Silva.

Everyone also said Edgar had no chance of beating Penn. Penn was unbeatable at LW. not only did he beat him, but he beat him twice. I find most divisions the most competitive that they've ever been. GSP is a freak and tough to beat, but he will be beat.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
First of all, Dream is a freak show. All I see on this card are a bunch of mismatches, over-the-hill fighters or tomato cans.

They don't have the resources or the stable of fighters to consistently put on shows, quality shows or competitive fights, so what do they do? They put on a couple of shows a year and put all of their resources on that final show.

So, how do you explain Pride's Shockwave events then??..Surely they had resources, they didn't have mismatches, and yet Dynamite=Shockwave. They made all of their big names fight, sometimes having as much as three title fights if I remember correctly.

You can crap on Dream and their fighters all you want, but at least they live up to the tradition and put big names on their card. Who are the big names fighting for the UFC??...Edgar??..Greg freakin Maynard???...Even if Frankie is the LW champ, I don't consider him a big name, and if GSP is a boring fighter, then I don't know what one would call Edgar. On top of that, you're matching him up vs Maynard, another wrestler. Recipe for most boring fight of the night.

Guida vs Gomi is the most interesting fight of the night, more so than that LW title shot. It's sad.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
i'm sure you probably felt the same way about Sonnen/Silva. Even though he whooped AS ass for 4.5 rds(he was juiced) lol, Anything can happen and GSP will eventually lose. Sure Koschek only had a punchers chance, but it was still a chance. If no one beats GSP he will have no choice but to jump weight and fight Silva.

Everyone also said Edgar had no chance of beating Penn. Penn was unbeatable at LW. not only did he beat him, but he beat him twice. I find most divisions the most competitive that they've ever been. GSP is a freak and tough to beat, but he will be beat.
Koscheck had no chance. It's like saying you have a chance to win 6/49, ya technically speaking you have a chance of winning, but realistically, it's close to impossible.
Koscheck's only shot was to land a power punch, but knowing how GSP moves and how he learns/improves from his last fights, you knew there was no chance he was going to get caught again as he did in the Serra fight.

And no, he doesn't have to jump weight classes, there is no clause in his contract that forces him to do so. He also expressed his lack of interest in doing so because he wouldn't be the same fighter at 185. Perhaps a catch weight would be more ideal, I guess we will see.

Penn isn't what he used to be. You have the two good examples in him and GSP.
GSP takes his training seriously, from beginning to end, works extremely hard and is 110% committed. Penn on the other hand, although he has the same raw talent (if not more) than GSP, he just always took his training a little lighter. He's always the main reason why he loses fights. It's rarely about the opponent, it's all about him.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Agreed, the UFC has come along way in 10 years. The cards are 100 times greater than they use to be. I find nearly every card has a few exciting fights on it. Sometimes the lesser known fights turn out to be the better ones, but Dana has done a fantastic job. I can't really stand him either, but he is what he is and had helped take the UFC to the top. I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

The fact that them 2 fights were pulled from UFC 125 and they still have a card at all is a testament to how well they've done. Velasquez is pulled from 129 in TO too, might mean GSP vs Shields.
The reason the UFC is at the top today is because they were fortunate enough to see its biggest competitor go down due to controversial connections.

Pride was demolishing the UFC. Most of the bigger names were fighting there, the fights and concepts were more entertaining, and the events usually better.

The fact he had also brought Liddell in Japan to fight vs Rampage in Pride, where he got completely demolished, gave Pride a higher level of competition, at least by reputation.

Pride was really a step higher than the UFC. Too bad they had shady connections and shut down.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Moklok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
No challenge in weight divisions? Not too long ago Lesnar was considered unstoppable. People didnt give Edgar a change vs Penn. And how is it the UFC's fault that NO ONE can touch GSP? Name one person in the Welterweight division in any organization that could touch him? MAYBE Nick Diaz, and even then its a huge maybe. Same goes for Silva....and in his case they did find him a good fight, even though noone gave Sonnen a chance before the fight even started, so you never know.

Quote:
And no, he doesn't have to jump weight classes, there is no clause in his contract that forces him to do so. He also expressed his lack of interest in doing so because he wouldn't be the same fighter at 185. Perhaps a catch weight would be more ideal, I guess we will see.
Wrong BTW. GSP has expressed his interest in going up to 185 many times, even during some interviews leading up to his Kos fight. The reason he hasnt done it yet is cause he doesnt want to move back and forth between 2 weight divisions, if he moves up it would be a permanent change, so he wants to clean house in 170 first then move up. I can see him fighting Shields then maybe Fitch.....then there really is no reason for him to stay 170 any longer.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
GlobalNews

Quote:
You're on a message board. People have discussions. Opinions are given left and right, and then discussed. Welcome to a Forum.
Did Dana White **** your mom or something?

You're a sherdog style Pride nuthugger 5 years after it means something.

Your opinions on this topic are asinine. You are clearly saying anything to get a reaction and appear learned on the topic. You aren't. Ignorance is bliss and I guess that's why you're so happy to talk about something you clearly know very little about.

Pride is the home of the freakshow. You mention Chuck Liddell losing to Rampage as PROOF that it was somehow better. How about the fight against Allistair Overeeem that he won in Pride. Oh right, that doesn't fit into your narrative. And your issue with names on a card. Excuse me. Todd Duffee was in the main event for DREAM. TODD FREAKING DUFFEE. Spare me the nonsense about stars. Or your competeive matches bull. 18 seconds he lasted. Josh Koscheck may not have had a chance to beat GSP (beat that horse some more) but he lasted a hell of a lot longer then 18 seconds.

You clearly thinks it's cool to hate on UFC and I'm sure when you spit this crap out to people who don't know what you're talking about they are impressed. But you're just the loud mouth guy that repeats things he's heard other places without actually giving it some critical thinking.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
good point I agree on that , he is a great 2nd - 3rd liner
He was in typical Leben form again tonight....

Old
01-02-2011, 01:42 AM
flowerpower13*

Quote:
What I've mostly been critical of the UFC, or Dana White, is how his UFC are often quite lacking even though he pretty much holds most of the talent out there.

I thought the events being held this weekend are the perfect example.
On one side, you have Dream having an ultimate event, ''Dynamite'' on the 31st, making pretty much every big name fight.
The following day, you have UFC, with Edgar vs Maynard. Gomi vs Guida might be the only other interesting fight on the menu that night. This, for their card on the 1st.

I've been saying it for a while and is the main reason as to why I lost interest in the UFC. Dana White is all about Quantity and not Quality. All of his boring Ultimate Fighter shows, Fight nights, lack luster PPVs, at times doing as many as 2 PPVs per month, are proving that. Instead, he could cut back and create much more entertaining events.

It's just too damn bad..but good to see Dream putting forth some quality entertainment.
And your point is...?

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote