HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Any Pissed Niittymaki Owners Out There?

Old
12-28-2010, 03:56 AM
tv14

vCash: 500
Any Pissed Niittymaki Owners Out There?

First of all, I own Niittymaki in my fantasy league. I am getting so frustrated with San Jose. Why the hell do they not play Niitty more and continue to go back to Niemi? I mean look at the stats, it says it all.

Niittymaki 19GP .910SV% 12-3-3 44GA 2.31GAA
vs
Niemi 18GP .900SV% 7-9-2 53GA 3.08GAA

Niittymaki is better in Niemi in every category (5 more wins and .70 less goals against per game) and they play behind the exact team. My question is why does Niittymaki get the short end of the stick for ice when he is right now the clearly better goalie and gives them the best chance to win?

tv14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:17 AM
evgeni71

They signed Niemi to be their starter of the future, so he'll get all the chances to succeed.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:30 AM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeni71 View Post
They signed Niemi to be their starter of the future, so he'll get all the chances to succeed.
They gave him a one year contract. Hardly seems like hes the "starter of the future". To me looks more like lets take a chance and try to catch lightning in a bottle.

tv14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:38 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeni71 View Post
Wrong, wrong, and more wrong. We gave him a 1 year contract. Nitty has a 2 year contract. What you've said makes no sense at all. If we followed your logic, Nitty would be the goalie we "signed for our future," although a 2 year contract isn't much better than a 1.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
nyr199435

Niemi's a free agent in my league. Anyone think he's worth getting or is it going to be all Nitty from here on out? I really could only drop a center or d-man to drop him, my centers being Dubinsky, Stastny, Kopitar, Marleau, Sharp, and Couture and my d-men being Doughty, Green, Shattenkirk, Edler, Visnovsky. So I guess it would have to be dropping one of Dubinsky or Edler. My other goalies are Howard, Miller, and Anderson with none of them playing up to expectations. Anyone think it's worth it to take a chance on Niemi?

nyr199435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:00 PM
jarek

They want to see if Niemi is the real deal or not. Keep in mind the goalie situation in San Jose is very sensitive because of Nabokov leaving, so I think they want to be careful in selecting a successor. This was a team who had goaltending in the bag until Nabokov bailed.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
josra33

Go ahead and take a look at every team he only gave up one goal against to.

They are all teams who are out of the playoffs right now.

EDM (2)
STL
NYI
MIN
CGY

Niemi's stats aren't great. But he does get peppered with shots so of course he is going to have a higher GAA.

Out of Nittys games played he has had 11 games that are at 25 Shots against or under.

Niemi has only had 3 games with 25 shots or under.

Seems to me the team plays better for Nitty. That type of hockey won't win you any playoff rounds.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post

EDM (2)
STL
NYI
MIN
CGY

Niemi's stats aren't great. But he does get peppered with shots so of course he is going to have a higher GAA.

Out of Nittys games played he has had 11 games that are at 25 Shots against or under.

Seems to me the team plays better for Nitty. That type of hockey won't win you any playoff rounds.
This guy gets it. If anyone actually watches the Sharks, you can clearly see that the team on the ice coincidentally sucks when Niemi is in net, and somehow they actually put some effort into winning when Niittymaki is in net.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post

EDM (2)
STL
NYI
MIN
CGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
This guy gets it. If anyone actually watches the Sharks, you can clearly see that the team on the ice coincidentally sucks when Niemi is in net, and somehow they actually put some effort into winning when Niittymaki is in net.
I don't doubt that what both of you are saying is true, but it's not like either of those goalies are all that good either.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
RonTextall

Send a message via Skype™ to RonTextall
Niemi has a Cup and Nitty has an injury history. If they play Nitty 60 games they run the risk of him re-injuring his groin. They are handling him with kid gloves.

RonTextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:16 AM
subbanator76

Stalock or Greiss are the goalies of the future. These 2 are just fillers until they are ready. They will continue to splt the starts much like the Caps do with their goalies and it will continue to frustrate fantasy owners all year.

subbanator76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:20 AM
jarek

This is why I learned to never draft goalies that exist in goalie limbo.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote