HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Smith up

Old
12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 500
Zack Smith up

No Butler or Locke.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Anca18

vCash: 1850
Damn...I'm still wondering if Spezza's going on the LTIR

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:24 AM
GSG1165

Good. Love what this guy brings, and he's got the most NHL experience.

GSG1165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
HockeySport

Smith recall

With Smith on the 4th line; they won't see 7 minutes of ice time...

HockeySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Blehst*

lame he's the least skilled of butler,locke. hmmm

Blehst* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:39 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpert View Post
lame he's the least skilled of butler,locke. hmmm
Yeah, I don't understand this move.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand this move.
Instead of calling up Locke to either play as the 4th line center, where he'd be more than useless, or put him in a 2nd/3rd line role where he still wouldn't do anything; we call up Smith who can fill in nicely as the 4th line center while we bump up the other centers.

Makes more sense than forcing Locke into a top 6 position. He's obviously not a bottom 6 player so that's the only realistic place he could be slotted.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Xspyrit

Apparently, it's a big opportunity for Regin

Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Michalek-Regin-Alfie
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Smith-Winchester-Shannon

They have to be consistent now, no more time to slump.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:57 AM
HSF

Smith is the most ready out of anyone in Bingo and he might be up here for 6 weeks.

but his spot isnt a lock if things go down hill we might see Locke up here but that is up to Smith to play like an NHL'er

6 weeks is a long time and i am not sure if Smith gets that full 6 weeks and i doubt we call locke up as Bingo needs him more than we do for 6 weeks

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

I'm all for Zack Smith being in the NHL where I feel he belongs, but I was really hoping Locke would get the call. Somewhat disappointed.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Romans12_12

Excellent!

Z Smith is my favorite prospect right now. I think this kid can be the real deal if he gets the chance to play. I hope he stays up for the rest of the season.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Derivation

Like the move. Smith has experience up here and plays with lots of energy. I guess Fisher will move up to the 1st line and Regin will play 2nd line center for the time being?

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
eyeno

more ahead of Lock than just Smith

Smith is by far the most NHL ready player in Bingo,Lock may get called up but not necassarily next if Smith plays like we know he can. There may be one or two ahead of Lock on that team.You cant just look at goals for god sakes you guys,should I name off a ton of big time goal scorersw in the A who never play in the show.If Lock is so ready he has been around a long time he would be there already. There is a reason why Butler wasnt drafted, Lock is not in the NHL know. None of those two players at present would take the place of a 1st or 2nd line guy and they would not be able to play on the 3rd or4th line.They are to small and they play small Butler is scared ****less spends alot of time jumping out of the way never skates through a check cant play like that.Lock is a little more bold alrite but cant stay with the puck when things get rough he has the heart just not the size.Shannon gets away with his size because he plays big and will take a hit.Out of all the players on the the ice he was the only one to stand up when Spezza got hit how is that the smallest guy on the team if not in the NHL

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG1165 View Post
Good. Love what this guy brings, and he's got the most NHL experience.
Agreed. A little more grit is probably what we need

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Legend Killer

In training camp...The Murrays were talking about how if a skill guy goes down in Bingo they have skill to bring up and the same with a bottom 6 guy...

I havent seen Locke play, but everyone says he isnt an NHL player...but he has only played like 4 NHL games? So how does anybody really know?

Seems like it would have been a good time to call him up and slot him in the top 6 for a 3-4 game stint to see what he could do...I also understand bumping Regin into a top 6 role and strengthening the bottom 6 and the pk units...but we have a top point producing center in the minors and our top point producing center went down...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

With Smith being called up this gives Regin another opportunity to show that he can play top 6 minutes & contribute. As much as I like Cory Locke, he just isn't an NHL player, he is too small, too soft & with his skating he can't keep up to NHL players. Locke is also too slow, he just wouldn't get the same time to setup at the NHL level because most teams now play a very agressive attack system & players have to make quicker decisions & move the puck quicker.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:15 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

This is the right move. As much as it'd be nice to have that offensive punch from Locke or Butler, the fact is that neither of them would make the contribution we'd be expecting or hoping for. Both guys would be playing out of their element after half a season in Bingo and that's too much pressure to put on the kids to jump into a top 6 role.

However, we know exactly what Smith brings to the table. Hard work, energy, a spark and he will keep a certain rhythm to the team when they need it most. The offensive responsibilities fall to the obvious guys: Alfie, Fisher, MM, Kovy, Foligno and Regin. Smith knows his place and he isin't going to try and do too much.

If he's not on his game than alright go ahead and give Locke a shot since he's clearly earned and I'm sure is next in line. But right now the coaching staff needs to get Regin going! He's much better than what we've seen from him and maybe all he needs is an opportunity. And if nothing is going right for Regin goalscoring wise, than I'm sure he can spark his lineaments and put forward a solid effort like he has all season.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of adversity and that's what the Sens are going to be facing once again. It's going to take a bit of time for them to figure things out but I believe that Smith can provide just what the team needs while it's time for the so called leaders of this team to get er going.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
the fact is that neither of them would make the contribution we'd be expecting or hoping for.
I don't think you know what a fact is.

Old
12-28-2010, 02:48 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
I don't think you know what a fact is.
No that is absolutely a fact. I'm not one of these people, but the majority of the board would expect one of them to step in and replace Spezza's offense (which wasn't much this year anyway) and a lot of people look toward their numbers in the AHL. Locke has never once proven himself at the NHL level and is 26 years old already, while Butler still has quite a few things to work on as we saw during his recent 3 game call-up.

I'd certainly be excited to see either of them in the lineup, but there really is no way either of them would meet the expectations that we would have for them.

Sorry I didn't go into more detail, but I didn't mean they wouldn't post good numbers but they definitely shouldn't be talked about as replacing Spezza in any way. Improved play from the top 6 is where all the expectation should be.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:56 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Well Locke is Denis Hamel v2.0 it seems and Butler is a winger, so Smith makes sense. Although I am curious to watch Locke play.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
No that is absolutely a fact. I'm not one of these people, but the majority of the board would expect one of them to step in and replace Spezza's offense (which wasn't much this year anyway) and a lot of people look toward their numbers in the AHL. Locke has never once proven himself at the NHL level and is 26 years old already, while Butler still has quite a few things to work on as we saw during his recent 3 game call-up.

I'd certainly be excited to see either of them in the lineup, but there really is no way either of them would meet the expectations that we would have for them.

Sorry I didn't go into more detail, but I didn't mean they wouldn't post good numbers but they definitely shouldn't be talked about as replacing Spezza in any way. Improved play from the top 6 is where all the expectation should be.
Nobody would expect Locke to replace Spezza, let alone the majority of the board.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Last time Smith was up here. He was horrible and didn't bring his game like he did in the playoffs and last year.

Hopefully that has changed.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:40 PM
The Chef*

Give a chance to Regin to show what he's got. If he doesn't play that well, bring down Smith, call up Locke and see what he can do.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas Cornwall View Post
Give a chance to Regin to show what he's got. If he doesn't play that well, bring down Smith, call up Locke and see what he can do.
How is this any more of a chance than Regin has been given in the first half of the season? Has he not been playing almost exclusively with Top 6 linemates and has he not produced one measly goal over that time?

I think we're all quite aware of what Regin can do in this situation because it's exactly the same situation he's been given the entire year so far.

It would have been nice to see what an offensive player could have done with this chance as opposed to a guy who's going to be slotted into the 4th line and play 6 minutes a game and accomplish next to nothing.

It's been pretty apparent that the Sens biggest need is someone who is able to produce offense, not someone who provides "grit". When one of your top offensive players goes down, you should at least attempt to bring up a player from the AHL who has the possibility to help the team at least a little in that area.

No one is going to replace Spezza. But this team needs help scoring goals. Putting a guy who has had all the chances in the world to score and has one goal to show for it on the top line and calling up a 4th line plugger isn't really the best solution.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySport View Post
With Smith
lol I read this quick and thought it said Will Smith

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote