HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Zack Smith up

Old
12-28-2010, 03:41 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
How is this any more of a chance than Regin has been given in the first half of the season? Has he not been playing almost exclusively with Top 6 linemates and has he not produced one measly goal over that time?

I think we're all quite aware of what Regin can do in this situation because it's exactly the same situation he's been given the entire year so far.

It would have been nice to see what an offensive player could have done with this chance as opposed to a guy who's going to be slotted into the 4th line and play 6 minutes a game and accomplish next to nothing.

It's been pretty apparent that the Sens biggest need is someone who is able to produce offense, not someone who provides "grit". When one of your top offensive players goes down, you should at least attempt to bring up a player from the AHL who has the possibility to help the team at least a little in that area.

No one is going to replace Spezza. But this team needs help scoring goals. Putting a guy who has had all the chances in the world to score and has one goal to show for it on the top line and calling up a 4th line plugger isn't really the best solution.
You don't think giving Regin more minutes per game might increase his scoring? As opposed to him playing 9 minutes last game, and 10 minutes vs. Nashville (where he had a beauty pass to Kovalev)

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:48 PM
topshelfie

I doubt Z Smith will play every game. Butler,Locke or even O'brien could also be called up for a game here or there.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Berserker*

From Joy Lindsay's blog:

Post-practice, Ottawa coach Cory Clouston said Smith being assigned in the first place was all part of a "numbers game." He said Smith never did anything wrong, but that being their only forward on a two-way contract, he was the easy choice to send down.

When asked why Smith instead of Corey Locke, Clouston said, "It's one thing to score in the AHL; it's another thing to score in the NHL." He went on to mention the physicality of their recent games and say Smith is better suited for those contests.

from http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...Id=personaDest

I kind of expected Greening to be recalled though. he appears to have a higher offensive upside than Smith. A line of Greening- Fisher - Neil would be a solid third line.

Smith is good though, he is pretty gritty and has decent offensive skills. He will likely make more of an impact than Butler or Locke would. Butler will likely need a bit more development to make n impact in the NHL. If they call anyone else up, I would expect it to be either O'brien or Greening.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
You don't think giving Regin more minutes per game might increase his scoring? As opposed to him playing 9 minutes last game, and 10 minutes vs. Nashville (where he had a beauty pass to Kovalev)
Those icetime numbers are only because of a more recent (well-deserved) demotion to the 4th line. For the vast majority of the year, he has been playing in a Top 6 role with very offensive linemates. And I repeat, he has 1 freaking goal to show for it.

Unless you believe he will magically do something he wasn't for the majority of the season, then it's more of the same.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Those icetime numbers are only because of a more recent (well-deserved) demotion to the 4th line. For the vast majority of the year, he has been playing in a Top 6 role with very offensive linemates. And I repeat, he has 1 freaking goal to show for it.

Unless you believe he will magically do something he wasn't for the majority of the season, then it's more of the same.
His avg ice time this season is 18th on the team I believe at around 13 minutes.

Ill agree though that hes been disappointing on the offensive side of the puck this season for sure, sophomore slumps are known to happen.

And would you actually find it magical if he happened to turn it around and get a hot streak going? Not very uncommon. So yes, I think he can "magically" turn it around, we have another half season to go.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
DefenseMinister

I'm not as forgiving. I'd like to see someone else get a shot as opposed to a guy who has had a solid 3 months of an audition and not done a damn thing.

Old
12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

We lose Spezza, we call up Z. Smith. On to the cup!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Very good call by Clouston that Smith can handle physical play and the grind of the NHL game better than Locke. They have been watching Locke closely and I'm sure if they thought he had what it took for the next level than it would have been him getting this call up. Still expect to see him get a game or two just to see where he's at.

Smith will have a short leash that's for sure. If he ain't cutting it, give another kid a shot.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
SDhybrid47

ya I like what Smith brings to the table night in and night out...
but when youre replacing you're top line C....you'd think they'd call up a more offensive-minded guy...

whatevs though, GO SENS GO!!!

SDhybrid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Frodo

We're not replacing Spezza with a call-up from Bingo. We're replacing a roster spot.

It's up to Fisher and Kelly to shoulder the load of Spezza's position.

Zmith has already proven that he can play in the NHL. He played in the playoffs last year, he's played 10 games this year. The rest of the guys on the team know him. It just makes sense that it be Zmith to be called up.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
We're not replacing Spezza with a call-up from Bingo. We're replacing a roster spot.

Zmith has already proven that he can play in the NHL. He played in the playoffs last year, he's played 10 games this year. The rest of the guys on the team know him. It just makes sense that it be Zmith to be called up.
Exactly!

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
We lose Spezza, we call up Z. Smith. On to the cup!
It really is a shame we don't have a replacement for Spezza waiting in Bingo

Murray missed the boat once again.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

It's funny that some people didn't understand that right away

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:52 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../16694481.html

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:33 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
It really is a shame we don't have a replacement for Spezza waiting in Bingo

Murray missed the boat once again.
?

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:58 AM
eyeno

you really dont know whats going on do you

Quote:
How is this any more of a chance than Regin has been given in the first half of the season? Has he not been playing almost exclusively with Top 6 linemates and has he not produced one measly goal over that time?

I think we're all quite aware of what Regin can do in this situation because it's exactly the same situation he's been given the entire year so far.

It would have been nice to see what an offensive player could have done with this chance as opposed to a guy who's going to be slotted into the 4th line and play 6 minutes a game and accomplish next to nothing.

It's been pretty apparent that the Sens biggest need is someone who is able to produce offense, not someone who provides "grit". When one of your top offensive players goes down, you should at least attempt to bring up a player from the AHL who has the possibility to help the team at least a little in that area.

No one is going to replace Spezza. But this team needs help scoring goals. Putting a guy who has had all the chances in the world to score and has one goal to show for it on the top line and calling up a 4th line plugger isn't really the best solution.
First ,do you think every player, every line are there to be top producers goal wise?Do you think butler or Lock are going to step into a top 6 position and score a goal or two?Do you think this team can afford to be doing a bunch of experimenting with players at this point? Do you think a rookie who got very limited ice time for 10 games at the start of the season scored 2 goals, fights ,hits,works his ass off is a plug.I am not sure what planet you are from but I know this, they dont play hockey on it and nor did you.

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:04 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
I hope they give Locke a shot to prove himself. 4 games total in 7 seasons, what kind of an opportunity is that? We give Butler a pass for not scoring while he was up because he's still adjusting to the game, but when has Locke ever had an opportunity to adjust? Never.

Ottawa's problem is goal scoring, not toughness. We're playing CAROLINA tonight. Is Murray/Clouston expecting some line brawls against the likes of Tim Gleason, Erik Cole, and Chad Larose?

Not that I don't like Z. Smith, I just wish that we'd give some players a good opportunity to break out (although I guess some would argue this is Regin's chance).

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Suiteness

Are you people serious? Corey Locke to replace Spezza? Can you imagine Eric Staal having to lineup against soft, slow and small Corey Locke? It would be sad and pathetic at the same time.

I guess he could maybe be used as a winger on the 4th line and give him a few scraps on the 2nd PP unit but other than that...

Suiteness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckedUpOnQuack View Post
I hope they give Locke a shot to prove himself. 4 games total in 7 seasons, what kind of an opportunity is that? We give Butler a pass for not scoring while he was up because he's still adjusting to the game, but when has Locke ever had an opportunity to adjust? Never.

Ottawa's problem is goal scoring, not toughness. We're playing CAROLINA tonight. Is Murray/Clouston expecting some line brawls against the likes of Tim Gleason, Erik Cole, and Chad Larose?

Not that I don't like Z. Smith, I just wish that we'd give some players a good opportunity to break out (although I guess some would argue this is Regin's chance).
This.

I don't think Locke would produce in the NHL, and if he were to be called up the guy I'd want him to play with is Spezza so this isn't great timing or anything. That being said, we don't know. Locke has always been labelled as a guy who can't produce but has never actually been given that opportunity in real games.

Even if Locke is good he's only a potential one-dimensional offensive guy, but this thing is that we know what Smith brings. At his best he's one-dimensional defensive guy who is still learning the trade.

If this team team struggles to score over the next couple games and Locke isn't called up I'll be fairly disappointed.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
First ,do you think every player, every line are there to be top producers goal wise?Do you think butler or Lock are going to step into a top 6 position and score a goal or two?Do you think this team can afford to be doing a bunch of experimenting with players at this point? Do you think a rookie who got very limited ice time for 10 games at the start of the season scored 2 goals, fights ,hits,works his ass off is a plug.I am not sure what planet you are from but I know this, they dont play hockey on it and nor did you.
That's a lot of questions. Do you have the answer to any of them or do you just like asking them?

First of all, Zack Smith's a good energy player but that's all he is and I don't think at this point, the team was screaming out for yet another energy player. They can't score goals. The solution is apparently to elevate Peter Regin into Spezza's spot (a Top 6 role he has already been put in for the majority of the year and failed miserably at).

Is the AHL's leading scorer supposed to replace Spezza? Of course not. But I'd at least like to see if he can help out offensively in some capacity. Maybe Locke can find some chemistry with a player like Kovalev or Michalek and help give them more opportunities to score. As other posters have noted, everyone just assumes that he can't do anything at the NHL level but no one actually knows because he's never been given a chance. I know that he can do more offensively than Zack Smith, that much is for sure.

And at the time of Locke's signing, most fans (and the organization for that matter) stated that this was a perfect depth signing and gave the team more options should there be an injury to an offensive player. In that scenario, the team could do what they could not do previously and call up a player who had a specific skillset as opposed to a 4th liner like Smith who was their only option in years past.

All Locke has done is go out and put up points wherever he has played. I think it warrants at least an opportunity to see if he can do something at the NHL level.

But hey, let's give Regin yet another chance to show that he can play in the Top 6 shall we? It's hasn't worked for 3 months but I'm sure now he'll be a completely different player.

Last edited by DefenseMinister: 12-29-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
In training camp...The Murrays were talking about how if a skill guy goes down in Bingo they have skill to bring up and the same with a bottom 6 guy...

I havent seen Locke play, but everyone says he isnt an NHL player...but he has only played like 4 NHL games? So how does anybody really know?

Seems like it would have been a good time to call him up and slot him in the top 6 for a 3-4 game stint to see what he could do...I also understand bumping Regin into a top 6 role and strengthening the bottom 6 and the pk units...but we have a top point producing center in the minors and our top point producing center went down...
They don't know. Marc Savard - who didn't skate well enough , Cleary, and St. Louis all faced the same scepticism. I'm not saying he's a player, but you'd think that you would at least give the AHL scoring leader a hard look as 2nd line centre in these circumstances.

Maybe it will work out with Regin as centre. I hope so.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:45 PM
DefenseMinister

I also absolutely hate Clouston's reasoning when asked about Smith being called up over Locke.

First, he completely throws Locke under the bus for no good reason by saying that scoring in the AHL is one thing but scoring at the NHL is another. Translation: "no matter what you do in the AHL Corey, we really don't think you can be an NHLer so why bother trying?" This of course, completely contradicts what the Sens said at the time they signed him for 2 years this summer where they talked about being very excited to add depth and have the ability to call up an offensive player should there be an injury. Locke also left more money on the table from other teams because he thought that this would be a place where an NHL opportunity might present itself at some point. The Sens, I'm certain would have given him the same assurances of this opportunity. Clouston saying that Locke's AHL accomplishments don't really mean anything is a pretty huge 180 from that strategy.

Next Clouston says that the Sens have been in some physical battles recently and Smith is better suited to compete with those teams which would make sense if the Sens next 5 opponents weren't the Canes, the Blue Jackets, the Leafs, the Blackhawks and the Lightning; teams that no one is going to accuse of being physical powerhouses. So, that's just mostly BS to justify a Smith callup.

I would have been happier if they just had said that Smith is the most NHL-ready of anyone in Bingo and a proven commodity (even though he isn't going to fill their most pressing need) and they aren't comfortable in taking anyone without NHL experience at this point. That's most likely far closer to the truth than the BS that Clouston laid out (and not nearly as unnecessarily insulting to Locke).

Old
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I don't like the way Peter Regin has been handled since the start of training camp. Foligno gets all the leash in the world while Regin was the guy they should have been stroking after being Ottawa's best player in the playoffs, opening eyes of one and all predicting great things.

So what does Clouston do? Puts Michalek back up there and Regin giving bite sized opportuinites while Foligno gets all the time and opportunity in the world to turn it around, which, thankfully, he has.

Regin has been mishandled and the confidence that was built up out of injury necessity in the playoffs was completely mismanaged by Clouston. I am hoping with this chance he gets that he can turn his season around, but it is tough when the coach has written you off.

He could have said, instead of slacking Locke, that "we are giving Peter another chance to step up". No need to piss on Locke...this coach sucks.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
I don't like the way Peter Regin has been handled since the start of training camp. Foligno gets all the leash in the world while Regin was the guy they should have been stroking after being Ottawa's best player in the playoffs, opening eyes of one and all predicting great things.

So what does Clouston do? Puts Michalek back up there and Regin giving bite sized opportuinites while Foligno gets all the time and opportunity in the world to turn it around, which, thankfully, he has.
This one is on Murray playing favorites though. There was an article that came up earlier in the year where Murray stated that he had asked Clouston to keep Foligno in the top 6 so he could sort things out. Having the GM lobby for you obviously is always a +.

Suiteness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Frodo

Regin not being very good also helps.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote