Notices

Cormier called up, Stapleton sent down

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
You cannot quote people from other threads or boards.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:09 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Love it!!! They really are freaking out on that board!!

Old
12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Aaronxxx

i was not aware of that rule, sorry

Old
12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Well, we all called it before the season..... We said everyone would start calling us a dirty team, and we'd enjoy it!

Old
12-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i looooooove being dirty

also liking burmi getting actual linemates, though i wish he would have gotten a game or two off first.

and no surprise bergfors sits.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
thrasherZ

I have never before posted on another teams board, but I could not help my self this time. Someone on the bruin board said that meyer was lucky that Lucic could not get to him. I started by saying that Cormier is here to play tough hockey not take cheat shots. But if Lucic was so tough, why did he not take care of Cooke like Kane did.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Georgia Dawg

Boston fans actually think we called him up to retaliate against them.

I saw Cormier at a few prospect practices. I think he should fit in well on this team. Looking forward to tonight.

Last edited by btn: 12-28-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Boston fans actually think we called him up to retaliate against them.

I saw Cormier at a few prospect practices. I think he should fit in well on this team. Looking forward to tonight.
No. They're concerned about his propensity for his elbow to come out and knock a player senseless.

It's a justifiable concern, to be sure, but I'm optimistic that he's learned his lesson.

It might be a hornet's nest in that thread, but there's no reason to go in and go nuts (I know you didn't ). Remember, Fearless Global Moderator btn has said in the past to be careful when crossing into other teams' boards. He doesn't want anyone going ******* and getting infractions placed against them. I'd hate to see some of the people here get banned because they went nuts and racked up infractions.

Last edited by btn: 12-28-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old
12-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
No. They're concerned about his propensity for his elbow to come out and knock a player senseless.

It's a justifiable concern, to be sure, but I'm optimistic that he's learned his lesson.

It might be a hornet's nest in that thread, but there's no reason to go in and go nuts (I know you didn't ). Remember, Fearless Global Moderator btn has said in the past to be careful when crossing into other teams' boards. He doesn't want anyone going ******* and getting infractions placed against them. I'd hate to see some of the people here get banned because they went nuts and racked up infractions.
Come on. Do they truly think we would call someone up just to go head hunting. Really? They should have the opposite reaction. This is a young man who had a major screw up. If anything, he is going to be extra careful b/c he does not want to blow his chance in the NHL.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Come on. Do they truly think we would call someone up just to go head hunting. Really? They should have the opposite reaction. This is a young man who had a major screw up. If anything, he is going to be extra careful b/c he does not want to blow his chance in the NHL.
That's one way to look at it. Or you could say "a tiger doesn't change it's stripes".

Steve Downie is still close to as reckless as he ever was.
Would anyone be shocked to see Cooke throw another blind side hit?
Jesse Boulerice had an abborhent incident in juniors and while he never did anything similar in the NHL, he was far from a choir boy.

No one in Boston is worried about Cormier beating someoene up. B's have plenty of team toughness, and even if he did, that's part of the game.

But given Cormier's history, coupled with the fact that the B's have had 3 major contributors to their team sustain nasty concussions over the past 3 seasons (Bergeron, Savard, Krejci), all on cheap shots, I'm honestly a bit surprised that you guys find our reaction so surprising.

Yes, we're sensitive to cheap shots (to heads specifically) given our recent history. Cormier has a recent history of throwing them.

It ain't calculus.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Aaronxxx

today in irony: a team's fanbase is afraid of someone headshotting their players but still defends one of their own delivering a sucker punch

Old
12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I missed that sensitivity to cheapshots in the nearly endless celebrations over Lucic's sucker punch to Meyer.

Perhaps the irony of the reaction to Cormier being called up by Bruins fans is not missed on this board?

Old
12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Please excuse us for being partial to head injuries or any that even imposes a threat to helping create one. Yes, B's fans over reacted to seeing that he was called up, but don't loop us all into one category. I too said that i believe he is moved on and doesn't want to ruin his shot at the NHL.

The only reason people get worked up is because they saw that video and they automatically assume he will try to do the same vs. Savy, Krejci, Kampfer, Seguin, etc. It was more of a "what if" than anything.

Boston fans are passionate, we tend to over react. I don't personally see why Looch, Little, Meyer and others were brought into the convorsation either, when we were simply talking about Cormier.

On the contrary, some of us have high hopes for an entertaining HOCKEY GAME, and not a blood bath. I wish the best to Comier and I truly do hope he makes the best of his time in the NHL because though he has a few bumps and bad decisions in his history, I believe he could be a hell of a hockey player.

I'm looking forward to flying to Atlanta for the game. Cheers to all your fans and players.

And PS- at HF boards, fans will fight fans of their own teams if it means they get to stir something up. Don't be so quick to assume its about Cormier...it doesn't take much to get emotion from hockey fans of any team.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:31 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Also, the definition of "Over-analyzing". Seriously, how many times do I need to say it?

Old
12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
manifestodestiny

To the Bruins:

If we were preparing for a blood-fest, Cormier would not be the only call-up. Akim Aliu is 500% crazier than Cormier, and less NHL ready...

Old
12-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
When will people get over this?
Lol. He acted like Floyd Mayweather landed a deadly right cross on him.

Like I said before, clearly Lucic cheapshotted him and I thought he shoudl have gotten suspended, but definitely a huge flop/should not be compared to the Cormier hit.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Lol. He acted like Floyd Mayweather landed a deadly right cross on him.

Like I said before, clearly Lucic cheapshotted him and I thought he shoudl have gotten suspended, but definitely a huge flop/should not be compared to the Cormier hit.
Guess not.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestodestiny View Post
To the Bruins:

If we were preparing for a blood-fest, Cormier would not be the only call-up. Akim Aliu is 500% crazier than Cormier, and less NHL ready...
not to mention kulda and valabik would be up too

thrashers all brawl lineup

kane-little-stewart
ladd-peverley-antropov
eager-cormier-aliu
boults-slayer-thor

bogo-byfuglien
kulda-valabik
sopel-hainsey

Old
12-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Crimson Devil*

Awesome. As a Devils fan, I can't wait to see him play.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
manifestodestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
not to mention kulda and valabik would be up too

thrashers all brawl lineup

kane-Gratton-stewart
ladd-peverley-antropov
eager-cormier-aliu
boults-slayer-thor

bogo-byfuglien
kulda-valabik
sopel-hainsey
Didn't we loan Gratton out to the KHL?

Old
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Come on. Do they truly think we would call someone up just to go head hunting. Really?
No. However, they are aware of his past.

Boston fans don't see it like we do. They see his history, and the timing of the call-up. We see a guy who fits into Ramsay's system like a glove, plays a Ramsay-style game, and even has a slight propensity for the net.

An understanding has to be had, here.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestodestiny View Post
To the Bruins:

If Bruins fans saw that you guys called up Aliu, Valabik, Gratton, and whatever other goons you had, we'd be THRILLED. Most B's fans love tough, hard-nosed, battle in the trenches hockey.

What we see is that you called up a guy who is a year removed from nearly killing someone on the ice with a vicious cheapshot, something we've had enough of over the past few seasons.

I, and most other B's fans I'd guess, don't think the promotion was a direct result of the Thursday night game. But it's obviously a move that's going to make some of us do a double take.

Why that is so hard for you guys to understand, I don't know.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
No. However, they are aware of his past.

Boston fans don't see it like we do. They see his history, and the timing of the call-up. We see a guy who fits into Ramsay's system like a glove, plays a Ramsay-style game, and even has a slight propensity for the net.

An understanding has to be had, here.
Thank you!! Perfectly stated, and exactly what I was getting at. Well said.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:56 PM
KevFist
is best pony

For reals! if we were looking to become Reg and the Chiefs for a night, we'd call up Ailu and Valabik instead of Cormier.

Truth is, i don't think many bruins fans are aware of the current Thrashers roster situation, so B's fans, here's how it works.....

Tim Stapleton was signed on November 30 and placed on reassignment waivers the same day. Thus, the Thrashers have 30 days to assign him to Chicago so he was able to play with Atlanta until that time period was up. Then the Roster Freeze happened, which ends on 12-27.

Nik Antropov had off season hip surgery and has been looking a bit tired lately. he gets some time off. Bergfors is in the dog house, along with Ben Eager. Atlanta needs a player for the roster.

Enter Patrice Cormier... Atlanta has three NHL ready players in Chicago, but only two are long term prospects that can absorb the spot left by Bergfors. Spencer Machacek probably gets a roster spot next season, but everyone knows about Rick Dudley's mancrush on Cormier. Bringing in Cormier allows Burmistrov to get better linemates and adds more grit to our bottom six.

So basically, Atlanta can add Cormier today, one day before Stapleton is required to go to Chicago, and the very day the roster freeze is over. It's just coincidence that we play the bruins again on thursday.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:57 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Huge (like, gargantuan) difference between a jab to the jaw of a guy in the middle of a scrum and seeking out chances (multiple times) to deliver blind side elbows to the heads of unsuspecting players, again, one of whom ended up having a seizure on the ice.

Frankly, even trying to equate the 2 makes you sound silly and ignorant of the game. And I'd say that to you if you were a Thrasher fan or someone who used to play for the Montreal Canadiens. Has nothing to do with you being from Atlanta.

Any person with an ounce of sense can see why Boston fans would take note of a guy like Cormier getting called up after last Thursday's game.
You make cheapshotting someone in the jaw while they are tied up with another player sound so innocent. Like I said, the way B's fans went from Old Time Hockey to No Place in the Game for Cormier is rather hilarious.

Closed Thread