HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we ruining Benoit Pouliot?

View Poll Results: Are we?
We're ruining him 46 38.33%
We're not 74 61.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Are we ruining Benoit Pouliot?

Curious to see what HF thinks of the way we've handled/are handling Benoit Pouliot this season.

Personally, I believe that Pouliot has far too often gotten the short end of the stick and it ticks me off. Why wasn't he called upon to return to the Gomez-Gionta line when they were struggling? He was the best player on that line at the start of the year and we reward him by dropping him to the bottom 6 and promoting Travis Moen.

How is that fair?

Fast forward a dozen games later and the second line is still in a dry spell and Pouliot is still playing with guys like Lapierre, Darche and Pyatt.

Why?

Why wasn't he given a shot to play in the top 6 again? Is he expected to get a ton of goals playing with scrubs/grinders? He's playing with a Lars Eller who seems overmatched right now and was scratched. Granted, Pouliot hasn't played very well in the last few games, but the same can be said for the entire team. The guy is oozing talent. He has a deadly shot, good vision and is a good skater.

I'm just disappointed that he's been ****ed this year. We're treating him as if he will be a permanent fixture in our bottom 6 and that bothers me. Andrei Kostitsyn gets scratched and Eller gets promoted, when everyone and their grandma knows he can't play wing. Maybe I'm biased because I believe the guy could be a stud if we surround him properly, but as it stands, I don't think he'll get another chance, even if AK46 continues to struggle. He's still young, but he only got a one year deal, you gotta wonder if he's even in our future plans.

Your thoughs?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Your coach is Jacques Martin. Great anywhere, else, but lately, coaches here always seem to be so stupid.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Your coach is Jacques Martin. Great anywhere, else, but lately, coaches here always seem to be so stupid.
Pouliot took his demotion perfectly fine. As far as we know he didn't whine or anything and he's been working fine during games. It just doesn't even seem like Martin thinks he can be an integral part of our offense anymore.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

no

Habs give him a fair chance to play big minutes something he never had with the Wilds. I don't if he will have another chance on the top6 but he's perfect on the 3rd line with Eller give us some scorers on the bottom line. Pouliot play better with a lesser role.

Max Pac look better than him on the Gomez line even if in a perfect world Pacs should play on the 3rd line if we had another top6.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
no

Habs give him a fair chance to play big minutes something he never had with the Wilds. I don't if he will have another chance on the top6 but he's perfect on the 3rd line with Eller give us some scorers on the bottom line. Pouliot play better with a lesser role.

Max Pac look better than him on the Gomez line even if in a perfect world Pacs should play on the 3rd line if we had another top6.
We did? As I recall, he got no more than a handful of games getting "big minutes" then the almighty Travis Moen was summoned to take his spot.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Pouliot took his demotion perfectly fine. As far as we know he didn't whine or anything and he's been working fine during games. It just doesn't even seem like Martin thinks he can be an integral part of our offense anymore.
He probably doesn't. It's Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt, Mathieu Darche, Alex Picard, or bust.

Darche is actually a solid player for us. Pyatt is a great pker, and Picard has played well for us. All of them have been benched either while playing good, or not.

Scott Gomez never was. Martin lacks bulls to do what's right.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Stradale

I never thought Pouliot is a solid regular top 6 to begin with so I don't think they are ruining him. He's where he should be.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
We did? As I recall, he got no more than a handful of games getting "big minutes" then the almighty Travis Moen was summoned to take his spot.
last year he played alot of games on the top6 produce well in the beginning witch happen alot when a player get trade but after he didn't produce in 30 games or something like that

This year sure he didn't had top6 minutes but he didn't do nothing to deserve them and like I said I think he's just better when he play less minutes

Old
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

he's a batter all around player than he was when he first came here. He's skilled enough to know he could become a solid 2nd liner at worst for us...

so no, not ruined.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Erik Estrada

I voted "ruining him" but I would have voted for an option somewhere in between... I think the Habs could use him in a way that would be more beneficial to win games in the short term and that would also help his development in the long-run... Among other things, not having the sword of Damocles hanging over his every shift could have helped his confidence.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

He went out and said at the beginning of the year how its hard to play with new linemates every game, then he gets put with Eller and Darche and played some of the best hockey of his NHL career... now Martin has him with different linemates every game and he's struggling and back in Martin's doghouse. I thought Martin did a good job with him when he had him playing on the third line with Eller with less pressure to score, but instead now he's playing 4th line minutes and getting scratched which is awesome considering our team can't score goals.

I don't have a problem with the coach benching young guys if their effort isn't there or if they are struggling but Martin has made the same players his scapegoats all year (Kostitsyn, Pouliot and Subban) while players who have been medicore/terrible for a lot of the year haven't missed a shift and even got undeserved promotions (Moen, Lapierre and Picard).

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

yes we are , we are also ruining 46 while we're at it

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 12-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
last year he played alot of games on the top6 produce well in the beginning witch happen alot when a player get trade but after he didn't produce in 30 games or something like that

This year sure he didn't had top6 minutes but he didn't do nothing to deserve them and like I said I think he's just better when he play less minutes
Fair enough, but ask yourself this: did Moen deserve more minutes? Pouliot played well in his limited time in the top 6 this year, and Martin dropped him in an effort to ignite the struggling Gomez and Gionta. I disagree with you there that he "did nothing". He was never given the chance to do anything this season.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Still very young.

Sure, a coach can mishandle a young player, but if the player can't overcome these obstacles, then they simply lacked the mental fortitude to succeed much in the first place.

Sometimes, you'll get a raw deal, but you've gotta make do with what you've got, eh?

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I wouldn't bet money on that one!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
JackZap

that PHD line was doing well

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
that PHD line was doing well
They were for a bit. Then Halpern came back down to earth and Darche started playing more like the role player he is (albeit a good one).

Old
12-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't really think you could say he's being "ruined". The Habs claimed him off the scrap heap and gave him a chance to resurrect his career, and he has to some decent extent managed to do it. So far. I find that he's not really getting a "fair shake" this season, he has worked pretty hard, produced well given his roles. But "ruin" isn't really part of it. He's getting more of a chance than he would have some places, less than others. Less IMHO than his play has warranted. But that happens. (And is happening with another, more prominent player on the team right now). If any "ruin" comes of it, it'd be because the player gave up on himself and didn't battle through the adversity. (And this is pretty minor adversity). Or because he never really had what it takes to begin with.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Fair enough, but ask yourself this: did Moen deserve more minutes? Pouliot played well in his limited time in the top 6 this year, and Martin dropped him in an effort to ignite the struggling Gomez and Gionta. I disagree with you there that he "did nothing". He was never given the chance to do anything this season.
Moen all around game is far ahead Pouliot game. I hate when he play top6 minutes because he can't produce but before MaxPac he was the best option

I think Pouliot is not the guy for our top6, Pacs do a good job right now but he might cool off soon( I hope not). We are missing a top6 forward since the beginning of the year and it's Gauthier fault because he didn't do nothing this summer.

I don't think it's Martin fault. Pouliot is not a top6 wingers right now on a PO team

Old
12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
TheBuriedHab

No, he was a bust in Minnesota who couldn't crack their top 6 either. Same deal with him here, its up to him to get it done.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
ChoseLa

I don't feel i'm presonnaly ruining Benoit Pouliot.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

While he may not be given a fair kick at the can with Martin, I was expecting more out of Pouliot coming into this season. It was said that he had put on some weight and strengthened his legs, but he's still very much out of control in his skating, balance and positioning.

At some point, he'll have to find his game and seize the opportunity when it's offered to him.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Moen all around game is far ahead Pouliot game. I hate when he play top6 minutes because he can't produce but before MaxPac he was the best option

I think Pouliot is not the guy for our top6, Pacs do a good job right now but he might cool off soon( I hope not). We are missing a top6 forward since the beginning of the year and it's Gauthier fault because he didn't do nothing this summer.

I don't think it's Martin fault. Pouliot is not a top6 wingers right now on a PO team
I have to disagree with you here again, and vividly. Moen is nothing more than a 4th line player. I like the guy, and he's good at it for the most part, but he only brings some grit to the table to go along with some decent PK work.

Pouliot has 10 more points than him this season and is +8, compared to Moen's -1. Defensively, Moen is nothing to write home about. He's strictly a one dimensional grinder whereas Pouliot has matured into a more complete player, like a few have said, this season. He's not a defensive stalwart or a stud two way forward, but he's solid in his own end minus the occasional soft play (which could be attributed to a lack of confidence).

I do agree with you that we are lacking that top 6 forward though and that Max will likely cool off. Gauthier needs to get off his laurels and gets us a D first, if you ask me.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Between last year and this year, he's gotten more than his fair share of top six time with Gomez and Gionta. If he hasn't solidified himself in that spot by now, he probably never will. Pouliot is kind of like Higgins - he's a third liner who can pull spot duty in the top-six and go on a hot streak from time to time, but shouldn't be relied upon for continuous production.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
I have to disagree with you here again, and vividly. Moen is nothing more than a 4th line player. I like the guy, and he's good at it for the most part, but he only brings some grit to the table to go along with some decent PK work.

Pouliot has 10 more points than him this season and is +8, compared to Moen's -1. Defensively, Moen is nothing to write home about. He's strictly a one dimensional grinder whereas Pouliot has matured into a more complete player, like a few have said, this season. He's not a defensive stalwart or a stud two way forward, but he's solid in his own end minus the occasional soft play (which could be attributed to a lack of confidence).

I do agree with you that we are lacking that top 6 forward though and that Max will likely cool off. Gauthier needs to get off his laurels and gets us a D first, if you ask me.
Moen game fit better in Martin system. You might not like Martin but he have a system and players have to play in the system. Pouliot offensive game is ahead of Moen but Moen is better in his own zone,better on the board play, make less mistake, he attack the net, play in front of the net and he play a simple game. He won't make mistake that cost the team.

I agree we need a D first