HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are we ruining Benoit Pouliot?

View Poll Results: Are we?
We're ruining him 46 38.33%
We're not 74 61.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
he is too soff
I don't get this label being thrown at him, if almost for no reason but to repeat a phrase out of habit. The kid is one of the few players who goes into the corners, and takes the body. He plays physical, but this stupid system montreal management loves so much doesn't allow for a ton of body work down low anyways.

The dump-and-chase fantasy this team throws out year after bloody year, does little to encourage a physical forecheck down low to begin with. Secondly, when has any big player on this team played with real force since 1993?

Yeah, he hasn't lived up to his draft status , but he's an effective player that I can live with all year long.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

All the young guys seem to be mixed up under Martin whether it's Latendresse, O'Byrne, Pouliot, Weber, Eller, now Pach. And Andrei K and Lappy haven't been that stellar under him either.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:47 AM
Komarov47

He's ruining himself perfectly.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:02 AM
HabsolutelyCanadien

I say NO we are not! Pouliot still one of our best players in my opinion! good slap shot! good shot! nice scores from him sometime! but yeah we just need to figure out the best lines possible starting right now! anyways! GO HABS GO!

HabsolutelyCanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
You guys aren't ruining Pouliot. The entire time he was in Minnesota's system I kept on saying "If only they'd ______." and waiting for him to show something close to his promise. If it's any consolation at all you got a lot more out of him than we ever did.
Gotta admit this guy is totally right.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Not at all, Pouliot is what he is a pretty good 3rd liner that's about it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Turboflex*

Pouliot is on pace for 15 goals, 40 points, playing 3rd line minutes, with Darche & Eller as linemates. Seems like he is doing OK statistically.

Also I think his defensive play is better, he is backchecking hard, and is getting PK time.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Fozz

It's all about confidence with this guy and he seems to lose it frequently. Totally different player from game to game and you usually know right off the bat if he's going to show up or not.

If anyone if ruining Pouliot, it's Pouliot himself. Martin is being very patient with him, IMO.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
sammy d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
It's all about confidence with this guy and he seems to lose it frequently. Totally different player from game to game and you usually know right off the bat if he's going to show up or not.

If anyone if ruining Pouliot, it's Pouliot himself. Martin is being very patient with him, IMO.
agree

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post

I agree, not sure if he'll ever consistantly be a top NHLer. He's a guy I'd have no problem trading if we could get a Hartnell or Malone type to play top 6.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I don't get this label being thrown at him, if almost for no reason but to repeat a phrase out of habit. The kid is one of the few players who goes into the corners, and takes the body. He plays physical, but this stupid system montreal management loves so much doesn't allow for a ton of body work down low anyways.

The dump-and-chase fantasy this team throws out year after bloody year, does little to encourage a physical forecheck down low to begin with. Secondly, when has any big player on this team played with real force since 1993?

Yeah, he hasn't lived up to his draft status , but he's an effective player that I can live with all year long.
Yeah, Pouliot is one of the best forecheckers on the the team. He's good at causing turnovers by using his closing speed and then his body. I saw him deck Ovechkin to the ice last night... no easy feat.

I'll echo the sentiments shared in this thread. Pouliot's biggest problem seems to be between the ears.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really think you could say he's being "ruined". The Habs claimed him off the scrap heap and gave him a chance to resurrect his career, and he has to some decent extent managed to do it. So far. I find that he's not really getting a "fair shake" this season, he has worked pretty hard, produced well given his roles. But "ruin" isn't really part of it. He's getting more of a chance than he would have some places, less than others. Less IMHO than his play has warranted. But that happens. (And is happening with another, more prominent player on the team right now). If any "ruin" comes of it, it'd be because the player gave up on himself and didn't battle through the adversity. (And this is pretty minor adversity). Or because he never really had what it takes to begin with.
I agree with this.

I think we should leave him with Eller and be done with it, but it's up to Poulliot to play through this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:54 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
He's ruining himself perfectly.
This.

People here expected Pouliot to become the fourth overall pick he was. That's just not meant to be.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Habs13

He was used mainly on the fourth line with the Wild and has put up his best numbers so far this season, so no, I don't think we are. Martin isn't very good at bringing in youth but I think Pouliot's issue's are Pouliot's to overcome. I think he'll develop into a core member of our team, just slower that anticipated.

I think it's a confidence issue - the guy has all the tools to put it together but seems to lack the confidence to do the small things or to make split-second decisions. He would also benefit from packing on some muscle because he seems easy to knock off the puck at times. But he has a wicked shot and stick skills, he's a big body that hits well and his skating is very good. He was picked high for a reason and like I said, he's slow to develop but I think he'll get there.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
MasterD

He ruined himself after being picked 4th overall... we turned him into a fine 3rd line player. So no. But I don't expect him to become an 80 points first line winger either.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
He's ruining himself!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:07 PM
xposbrad

I like BP, he has great hands, can stick handle. Throws his body around. Sometimes he's a bit lazy, but he definitely has talent. Good skater, and can bring the pick to the net. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him resigned.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
BlackStar

How the heck is he being ruined? He is doing fine, he is putting up decent stats for a 3rd liner, he has improved. He is being developed, I think the team wants him to assert himself on a line. He likes to defer to his teammates, i don't think it's laziness but he is still not as confident as he should be. Playing on the third line is good for him because he doesn't have much pressure on him and he is less likely to defer to his linemates(although he is still struggling with that).

You guys need to get over the dramatics.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
People here expected Pouliot to become the fourth overall pick he was. That's just not meant to be.
If we took a roll call, is there really ANYBODY anymore who thinks he is going to be become "the fourth overall pick he was"? I mean, honestly, I think everybody just expects a 20-goal supporting cast forward. Nobody believes in a big upside for him anymore.

The whole point of this thread (in my mind) is not to question whether we're "ruining him" relative to his 4th overall status, but rather whether healthy-scratching and bottom-lining him is warranted and has the potential to "ruin him" even as that 20-goal supporting cast player.

I don't believe much in the theory that a player can be "ruined", but I do believe that Pouliot has played well enough to be a regular player, and if we were going to spot start him at different places in the lineup, I'd be more inclined to spot start him higher rather than lower. He has talent, and he has worked surprisingly hard this year overall.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'd still be curious to see what he could do under an offensive-minded coach...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
I like BP, he has great hands, can stick handle. Throws his body around. Sometimes he's a bit lazy, but he definitely has talent. Good skater, and can bring the pick to the net. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him resigned.
The things that will make it hard for him to be a regular on the same NHL team for 8-10 years is that his intensity and effort level are very inconsistant and he is not mentally tough, as soon as he gets in a slump his games goes to crap, look further than last year when he went like 25 games without scoring. That makes it hard when offense is your calling card. He won't stick in the NHL as a banger or checker so he has to put up numbers that justify his roster spot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
bigdrew99

ben pouliot is the softest player the habs have ever acquired. so bad. he falls atleast 3 times per game to pivot. brutal

bigdrew99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdrew99 View Post
ben pouliot is the softest player the habs have ever acquired. so bad. he falls atleast 3 times per game to pivot. brutal
Not. Even. CLOSE.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Not. Even. CLOSE.
Agreed. Pouliot can deliver some jarring hits when his confidence is up or when he's not scoring. Far from the softest player we've ever had.

First name that pops up to mind is Alex Ballerina Tanguay. *****.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:49 PM
expy

JM's ruining a bunch of players.. Subban included.

expy is offline   Reply With Quote