Sutter Steps Down!

Old
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
We could save money by getting our scouts to scout his TSN analysis We get his thoughts for free already, right?
Touché.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:12 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

vCash: 500
Long time coming. Wish Sutter the best of luck though, he was the guy responsible for Kipprusoff, the cup run and ending the 7 year playoff drought.

I just hope that intern GM is what it says and not eventually a permanent position.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
Brent Sutter better not get fired, he is a great coach and losing him will make things much worse.
He may well become the new general manager. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing either (other than the optics)

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
why? he has NHL front office experience as an Assistant GM with the Whalers... he knows all the prospects, possibly as much as any scout... on top of that he knows all the scouts, which would make it easier for him to revamp our scouting staff... plus he would already know all the player agents... it's not like I'm suggesting Bob McKenzie who is strictly an NHL Insider... I'm suggesting a hockey man that has worked his way up in the ranks, who just happens to be on TV
PM has some strengths and a pedigree as an effective scout in the NHL but I'm not sure I agree with his experience as a GM and coach reflecting as positives on his resume.

Sept.8/93 Whalers coach Paul Holmgren was unexpectedly named GM of Hartford (position was formerly held by Brian Burke), he remained head coach and bumps up Pierre McGuire from asst' coach to asst' GM (because he needed a buddy for support?)

Holmgren named McGuire Hartford head coach on Nov.17/93 when Holmgren stepped aside so he could fully concentrate on GM duties. Those 67 games McGuire coached were fairly unimpressive (23-37-7) and the players had enough of him by the end of the season. About this time, Holmgren seeks help for alcohol abuse .

Rutherford comes into power as President and GM, Holmgren is back as head coach the next season and McGuire's tenure in the front office is over. He moves on to Ottawa as scout and asst. coach.

Probably more accurate that Pierre McGuire was in the right place at the right time in regards to his head coaching and GM positions in the NHL and when he failed to produce any measure of success, he was shown the door and went back to what he knows which was scouting. He is proving to be much better at working his way up the ranks as a TV personality than he ever was as a hockey man IMO.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:56 PM
CanadianPantherFan

About flippin' time. Now get some draft picks in 2nd/3rd rounds.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:05 PM
flames123

I hope Iginla tells Feaster to go **** himself if he asks him to waive his NTC/NMC.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:16 AM
goodsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
I hope Iginla tells Feaster to go **** himself if he asks him to waive his NTC/NMC.
I doubt that will happen, as Feaster himself told iggy that he eill not ask him to waive about a month back

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:12 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

The hillbilly with the iq equivalent to a retarded orangutan is gone?!?!?! *sniffle* Im just so happy.........

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
PM has some strengths and a pedigree as an effective scout in the NHL but I'm not sure I agree with his experience as a GM and coach reflecting as positives on his resume.

Sept.8/93 Whalers coach Paul Holmgren was unexpectedly named GM of Hartford (position was formerly held by Brian Burke), he remained head coach and bumps up Pierre McGuire from asst' coach to asst' GM (because he needed a buddy for support?)

Holmgren named McGuire Hartford head coach on Nov.17/93 when Holmgren stepped aside so he could fully concentrate on GM duties. Those 67 games McGuire coached were fairly unimpressive (23-37-7) and the players had enough of him by the end of the season. About this time, Holmgren seeks help for alcohol abuse .

Rutherford comes into power as President and GM, Holmgren is back as head coach the next season and McGuire's tenure in the front office is over. He moves on to Ottawa as scout and asst. coach.

Probably more accurate that Pierre McGuire was in the right place at the right time in regards to his head coaching and GM positions in the NHL and when he failed to produce any measure of success, he was shown the door and went back to what he knows which was scouting. He is proving to be much better at working his way up the ranks as a TV personality than he ever was as a hockey man IMO.
to get any job in the NHL you have to earn it... to assume he got a job because someone needed a buddy is nothing short of asinine

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:35 AM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
You know what was a great moment in franchise history? Sutter taking the Flames to within an inch (literally, Nilson's shot off the crossbar) of the Stanley Cup in 2004.

While I'm happy Sutter is gone, he has done some wonderful things for hockey in this city.
Sorry you had to lose your job during the holidays like this.

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
As some others already pointed out, Sutter did lots of great things for this franchise despite the recent decline. While a change was overdue, one should keep in mind that Sutter wasn't all bad.

Wish him good luck for the future and hope that the Flames find somebody to complement Feaster.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
As some others already pointed out, Sutter did lots of great things for this franchise despite the recent decline. While a change was overdue, one should keep in mind that Sutter wasn't all bad.

Wish him good luck for the future and hope that the Flames find somebody to complement Feaster.
Because of him calgarys development is going to be held back 3 more years, due to all the ntc for garbage players. Its usually some years after a rebuild until a team is competitive again, now throw 3 more years on top of that. He sold us down the river in a great act of stupidity and desperation trying to save his job. If you give me 100 bucks then kick me in the nuts and walk away, i dont care about the money. My balls are sore, and im on the ground reeling in pain.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
The NTC/NMC only means that the next GM will operate on a truncated market, but it does not mean that he is handcuffed for three years and cannot start rebuilding this team until then.
Sure, the bigger the market, the better, but reality is brighter than the pictures you and some others around here are painting.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
The NTC/NMC only means that the next GM will operate on a truncated market, but it does not mean that he is handcuffed for three years and cannot start rebuilding this team until then.
If you look the "what would you do if you were gm" thread you will see that that is obviously true. There are movable pieces. But there is mostly a lot of garbage players locked up to unjustifiably high contracts with ntc/nmc. Sure you can start a rebuild by getting rid of jaybo, regs, kipper and borque for 3 firsts a second and some prospects. But you cant really start fa signing around that new young core until these moronic contracts expire. And no, i dont think waivers are an option. Half of calgarys team has negative value. And lastly, yes, things are as bad as i say. This core cant win. Simple. No young prospects other than backlund will ever be top 6, and we have maybe 4 players with any real value left (able to get a first or a top prospect). This team is going to suck for a long time.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:55 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Flames needs to rebuild.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM
flamesfever

Necessary move as asset mismanagement was his recent downfall, but Sutter needs to be thanked for turning this franchise around 7 years ago.

His coaching/GM role was excellent for what this team needed. The kipper move was incredibly important as was locking up Iggy. His inability to develop younger talent and move away from late 90's style early 2000's hockey type players was part of his problem.

The Dome was a boring wasteland and the team other than Iggy and Regh were a laugh in asset mismanagement at the time.

Hindsight everything looks clearer, but he should have stayed behind the bench and we should have brought in another GM. I'm sure that's easier said than done. Oh well, new GM chapter starts now and it was quite the ride.

Spring of 2004 is still one of the happiest and funnest times of my LIFE and the encouraging years and opportunity that followed were great as well.

Thanks Darryl and good luck to Jay (you're going to need it with all those NTC).

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
to get any job in the NHL you have to earn it... to assume he got a job because someone needed a buddy is nothing short of asinine
I didn't assume it to be a fact, I suggested it as a possibility because that is often how the world works. I don't doubt that McGuire "earned" it, but there are many ways to earn a living though, like sticking your nose up the right ass, it doesn't always mean the individual selected for a position was the most qualified. Maybe I should have put buddy in quotation marks as I didn't mean to imply McGuire is nothing more than say a fishing buddy or a drinking buddy but he was a work buddy.

Holmgren was overwhelmed, drinking like a fish and needed a sounding board, a familiar face? He had been working daily with PM so they had a rapport. Do you think he posted the position league-wide and held interviews?

It's been 17 years and no more GM positions for McGuire despite his larger than life image, access to insider info and unique position to self promote whenever a position opens up. If he was really good at it, I'm thinking he would have got another job by now even at least as an assistant GM. I have never seen any mention of how well he performed his brief duties as a coach or GM from anyone, that's a bad sign.

I don't think McGuire is dumb or lacking in hockey knowledge, I just don't think is cut out to be a leader of an NHL franchise.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Darryl did some great things for the franchise but things just got stale. He brought us out of the darkness that was the Risebrough, Coates and Button years but he's gone from a peak to a valley himself.

Jim Nill would be my choice, even if its just a pipe dream. He knows how a successful franchise is run and has been a key part in their prospect development. Nill as GM and McGuire as new head scout wouldn't be too bad (I don't think I'd want Pierre as GM).

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Well i had decided to be a lingerer around here the past few days, but ill put my 2 cents in now i suppose.. I'm happy Sutters gone, but if Feaster is in charge for longer than this season, we may find ourselves in bigger trouble than when Sutter was here..

there's plenty of candidates out there, here's hoping we find the right man for the job (which Feaster is not)

GO FLAMES!

Edit: Lunatik- Sign me up for the Pierre4GM Campaign

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Pacem

Sutter did alot of good things in Calgary. The last 2 years were pretty bad, but he did do alot of good. A change was needed.

I tricked myself into think that the hiring of Feaster was because they wanted a law man to genuinely assist Sutter with the CBA side of things. I figured Sutter would have to the end of this year and if the Flames decided to fire him they'd clean house and Feaster would be gone too. I hope his tenure with the team is short.

I certainly hope Feaster doesn't make any significant moves (Regehr, Iginla, Kipper) during the regular season. Trade any and all expiring contracts at will for any and all draft picks available. I hope the Flames name someone else for the permanant GM position. I have no faith in Feaster. Moving the bigger tradeable pieces we have would be best suited for the new GM and to be done in off season when teams have more cap space and there is more flexibility to shape ones team.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
BLONG7

Guys, if the Flames continue to struggle, would Iggy ask to be traded? Or, do you feel he wants to stay through a rebuild?

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

First off I would like to thank Darryl Sutter for all of his services he provided to the Calgary Flames. He managed to put the Flames back on the map in this city and made fans proud to cheer for the Flames again after a long and dark period. He took the team to the Cup Finals, won a division title, and made the team one of the top teams in the West for several years. A lot of the players have great things to say about the Flames organization and Sutter in particular, so he definitely needs to be commended for all that he did in his time here.

However, there was no question that it was his time to go. He had a clear vision of the direction that he wanted to go with this team, and if last seasons result wasn't clear enough indicator, this season has absolutely shown that the plan he had implemented resulted in a complete and utter failure. He had basically put himself in a corner and there was no way out for him. Ken King gave him the oppertunity to go out with some dignity and to step down on his own terms. A change was needed, and so far this is a very positive step in the right direction for the team.

What is crucial now, is what happens next? I've been reading lots of articles in the news paper and on-line (TSN, Sportsnet) and by all indicators it appears that Feaster is acting GM until seasons end. He is going to put together "a plan" and submit it to Ken King over the next few weeks and depending on what his plan is, the interm label for his new job title may become extended "if" King likes what he hears. King also stated that Feaster has somewhat of a different take on things than Sutter, he did not say his views are necessarily better, but they are different. Obviously a lot will factor into how the Flames play over the next while to see what happens with Feaster.

Personally, long term I do not feel that Feaster is the answer. But I do think that he is more than capable of selling off assets if it is determined that we are rebuilding. One thing is for certain, firing Sutter IMO was the necessary first step to rebuild. If it does happen, the first step of it was just executed.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Sorry you had to lose your job during the holidays like this.
LOL. You wish you had my job, son.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
He may well become the new general manager. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing either (other than the optics)
The idea of Brent as GM is bad in more than just optics... I think it is time to make changes rather than clinging onto the past crew... see if the Flames could land a guy like McGuire. I see the combo of McGuire and Feaster as ideal. Feaster is a business guy as AGM and Mcguire know prospects, players and the hockey side of the business.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
The idea of Brent as GM is bad in more than just optics... I think it is time to make changes rather than clinging onto the past crew... see if the Flames could land a guy like McGuire. I see the combo of McGuire and Feaster as ideal. Feaster is a business guy as AGM and Mcguire know prospects, players and the hockey side of the business.
I agree... although upon hearing that Michel Goulet is going to be Feasters right hand man... that might have some promise

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote