Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're the New GM... What do you do?

Old
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
You're the New GM... What do you do?

Let's pretend the Flames hire you as GM... answer the following...

What direction do you take the club?
- A) Full Rebuild - Firesale Everyone must go!!
- B) Mini Rebuild - Major retooling with a focus on youth
- C) Significant Retool - Major retooling w/o a focus on youth
- D) Minor Retool - move no more than 1 core player
- E) Stay the course - Sutter 2.0

What moves do you do to make this happen? it would be great if you could break it down as follows...

- Moves before 2011 Deadline
- Moves at 2011 Deadline
- Moves at 2011 Draft
- 2011 Free Agency
- Moves before 2012 Deadline
- Moves at 2012 Deadline

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Flames 1st pick

First move: fire King
Second move: find a new GM. (who will hopefully find a new scouting staff)

Nothing else matter until they find a real GM

Feaster is a joke....he'll make C Button looks like a genius.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Second move: find a new GM. (who will hopefully find a new scouting staff)

Nothing else matter until the find a real GM

Feaster is a joke....he'll make C Button looks like a genius.
did you read the thread? maybe you should start with the title and first sentence and see if you can figure it out instead of just trashing the Flames with your pathetic shtick

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Why, he has nothing to do with the hockey operations......

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Steven

A. Either go all in or don't do it at all.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

vCash: 50
A. This teams culture needs to change, no more half assing it. It's difficult to say this as we just one 2 in a row and it's easier to say BLOW IT UP after a loss. But I truly believe we have to go the route of Pittsburgh, EDM etc to make this team a true contender. Ill take 2-3 yrs of last place to get this team some true top end talent.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
SDhybrid47

kovalev anyone?

SDhybrid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
JuniorNelson

Flames have some valuable pieces that shouldn't be dealt. Iginla, for example, is irreplacable.

The first step is determining if Feaster is the guy. If not, speed is of the essence in replacing him.

The GM must be given authority to move players and fire Coaches.

The GM's Coach should have a say in assistants and scouts.

After the new management assess the team they must move quickly to avoid the deadline. Avoid? Yes, despite the overpayments the deadline is dangerous to a rebuilding team. Unless the Flames are dangling a key rental, let the other GMs bungle away.

The time to make moves is now.

I recommend Ken Hitchcock in come capacity. He is the smartest hockey mind that is readily availible.

The Flames have until October to let contracts expire, do buy-outs, trades, demotions and whatever else needs to be done. Getting the right guy to do those things is KEY!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:50 PM
getoverit

I'll take option B

second question- none of the above. start now based on the right moves and go from there. but before any moves made, be clear on direction and a vision, then start turning stones over and get to work

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I agree, if you want to focus on youth, get a guy like Carbonneau, if you want to stay the course, get a guy like Hitchcock.

However, to OP, I'd go with option B. You guys are probably better off than the Canucks when we had to do the same thing in 2008.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

I would do the full rebuild, although my idea seems more of a major retooling. Basically anyone can go except JBo, Gio, Bourque, Stajan, Backlund, Mikkelson, Karlsson. Although I would trade JBo if some crazy offer came by, but i doubt it due to his contract. I wouldn't look to trade anyone immediately except Kipper, don't need a goalie stealing us games if we are rebuilding. I think it would be difficult to get anything significant in value as I believe the days of big contracts goalies are fading. Something along the lines of.

Kipper for 2nd, decent prospect and a backup goalie

Split the duties between the new back up and Karlsson for the rest of the season.

At the deadline I would unload all the UFA's in the offseason. Glencross, Tanguay, Babchuck, Staios, and also push to trade guys like Moss, Hagman, Jokinen, Sarich.

At or before the draft I would trade Iggy for only a good package. I have no problem keeping Iggy through a rebuild, but Regehr can go. Hopefully have a few 1st rounders including a top 5 pick, in which i would draft a forward preferably a centerman.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
loyst21

B) Mini Rebuild - Major retooling with a focus on youth

Feaster should use his prior connections with Tampa to swap Kiprusoff for Lecavalier (Tbay wants a goalie, Calgary still needs a centre and Lecavalier was "rumored" to Calgary in the summer). Kiprusoff has been highly inconsistent this year and they may as well get a suitor for him while he has value... Karlsson could be the starter for this non-playoff team and Irving is looking good in the AHL.

Move another larger contract (if possible) for picks or younger mid-tier prospects: Sarich, Staios, maybe even Regehr.

Thoughts?

loyst21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:03 PM
loyst21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I would do the full rebuild, although my idea seems more of a major retooling. Basically anyone can go except JBo, Gio, Bourque, Stajan, Backlund, Mikkelson, Karlsson. Although I would trade JBo if some crazy offer came by, but i doubt it due to his contract. I wouldn't look to trade anyone immediately except Kipper, don't need a goalie stealing us games if we are rebuilding. I think it would be difficult to get anything significant in value as I believe the days of big contracts goalies are fading. Something along the lines of.

Kipper for 2nd, decent prospect and a backup goalie

Split the duties between the new back up and Karlsson for the rest of the season.

At the deadline I would unload all the UFA's in the offseason. Glencross, Tanguay, Babchuck, Staios, and also push to trade guys like Moss, Hagman, Jokinen, Sarich.

At or before the draft I would trade Iggy for only a good package. I have no problem keeping Iggy through a rebuild, but Regehr can go. Hopefully have a few 1st rounders including a top 5 pick, in which i would draft a forward preferably a centerman.

basically the same thing I said, and I agree with the top 5 pick (Courturier please!). I like your thinking

Old
12-28-2010, 04:05 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyst21 View Post
B) Mini Rebuild - Major retooling with a focus on youth

Feaster should use his prior connections with Tampa to swap Kiprusoff for Lecavalier (Tbay wants a goalie, Calgary still needs a centre and Lecavalier was "rumored" to Calgary in the summer). Kiprusoff has been highly inconsistent this year and they may as well get a suitor for him while he has value... Karlsson could be the starter for this non-playoff team and Irving is looking good in the AHL.

Move another larger contract (if possible) for picks or younger mid-tier prospects: Sarich, Staios, maybe even Regehr.

Thoughts?
Well if your looking to trade a starting goalie for a 30 year old center this is far from a mini rebuild. But yes start by getting rid of Kipper

Old
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
It's tough to assess whether the players with NMC/NTC are willing to waive. Guys like Jokinen / Tanguay / Kotalik (limited NTC but little value) and Regehr have value in the market. If it's a longer term rebuild (more than a year) then Kipper & Iginla are also tradeable. I'll have to think this over and come up with something more comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDhybrid47 View Post
kovalev anyone?
Kovalev and a 2nd for our 4th.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:01 PM
loyst21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Well if your looking to trade a starting goalie for a 30 year old center this is far from a mini rebuild. But yes start by getting rid of Kipper
Under that logic, Iginla is useless because he is 33. 30 is not old by any means he still has a minimum of 10 years left in him. Lecavalier would be the best centre the flames have had since... Nieuwendyk? Not including Savard because he was just hitting his peak when he left.

Old
12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyst21 View Post
Under that logic, Iginla is useless because he is 33. 30 is not old by any means he still has a minimum of 10 years left in him. Lecavalier would be the best centre the flames have had since... Nieuwendyk? Not including Savard because he was just hitting his peak when he left.
You think he is going to be a big impact player until he is 40? He isn't useless cause of his age, cause of his age compared to rebuilding. He would most likely be 35 or older when this team becomes a serious competitor, and that Cap hit would be nothing but a problem when signing future players long term. This trade would do nothing to improve or help Calgary long term or even the now.

Old
12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

I don't have much faith in the blow it all up strategy (read: trade Iginla, Kipper), unless we can get some prospects that will really be worth it (I'm talking Brayden Schenn material). This strategy could go well if done properly, but it could also hold us back for years if it's done in a desperate firesale.

Also, the fact that there's 3 or 4 teams worse than us in the East really makes it hard for us to get a top-3 pick that you really need for that full rebuild. Unless we get a lucky bounce in the lottery, Courterier, Hopkins, Landeskrog, and Larsson will likely be out of our range, although that Joel Armia kid might be a good pick in the 5-8 range.

I'd see how the team performs, and if it looks like we're still out of it in mid-February I'd be considering offers for players like Iginla, Kipper, and some other guys that could be the missing piece for a contending team. But I sure wouldn't be panicking to get rid of them, that would be a mistake.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:10 PM
scoringmachine

If I were GM today December 28th, 2010 this is what I would do

1. Call for a meeting with the head coach and his staff (they deal with the players more than anyone else) and get their take on the team and what direction they want to take the team as they could have some incite on types of players need on this team.

2. Look at the weakness of the team and take a look at the roster who we could trade to help improve the weakness. such as we need #1 center for Iginla so we may have to trade Regher, Jay-Bow, Girondano, Bourque etc. in order to get one.

3. Find a new coach as I do not think Brent Sutter is the type of coach this team needs. Preferably hire a coach with some NHL experience. Have this coach choose his own staff. We had in the past brought in coaches with no NHL head coach experience and it has not worked out. Jim Playfair comes to mind

4. Talk with the players with NMC/NTC that you want the team to become younger and that they may be asked to be traded. They can give a list of teams they maybe willing to be moved so that it gives you time to research each team and find the right trade that would help the Flames and the team your trading them too.

5. Starting now I would work with my current scouts and make a list of the top 50 to 100 young players that I may like to have on my team. Second using this list break it down to my 10 top young players. Once I have my top 10 young players I will start from number on my list 1 and try to get them on my team whether on my roster or in the minors until they are NHL ready. If I cannot get that player then go with number 2 on my list and so on.

6. Work with our current backup goalie and see how we can make him to one day fight to be the number one goalie. Reason is Kipper is playing too many games per season. Kipper should play less than 70 games a season so he can be fresh if the team makes the playoffs

7. When signing players do not add NMC/NTC clauses in their contract

8. At the end of the season I would look for new scouts as our current scouts have not brought us enough talented young players from the draft. So far in time Sutter has been GM Michael Backlund is the only prospect fans and media have high hopes for in succeeding in the NHL.

9. Do not rush to trade picks as they can be valuable down the road.

Basically what I am getting at is keep the team as it is currently, then by trade deadline if we have no chance of making the playoffs then try to trade some of our good players to playoff teams for picks and young players that we can use for the next season.

scoringmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Body Checker

1. Keep team intact until trade deadline. If team is 10th or higher go for playoffs. If below 10th, then make some moves.

2. Trade Deadline:

a) trade Morrisson, Hagman, Glencross & Kostopoulous for picks (2nd rnders for Hagman, GlenX, 4th rounders for BMo and TK)
b) trade Regehr for a 2011 1st rnd pick and decent prospect (to STL or CLB? two teams that have need to make playoffs)
c) trade Moss for a younger forward that can play on bottom lines for cheaper i.e. LA's Bud Holloway

3. Before Draft:

a) resign Tanguay to 2 year, 7 million deal

4. At Draft:

a) With trading veterans at deadline should give Flames top 5 pick. Take best player available.
b) trade Kiprusoff to team that's goaltending let them down in the playoffs. Maybe Philly or TB. This trade won't be for picks/prospects because of the cap. Kiprusoff for Scott Hartnell
c) If the Flames 1st pick is Couterier, Nugent Hopkins or Landeskog then trade Mitch Wahl to LA for Thomas Hickey.

5. After Draft:

a) resign Karlsson and Babchuk

6. July 1st -

a) sign Justin Williams, Jussi Jokinen and Marcel Goc
b) trade Olli Jokinen to NYI for 2012 3rd round pick (islanders need to get to cap floor and realize no UFA will sign there)

2011-2012 Flames team:

Karlsson/Irving

Hickey/Bouwmeester
Giordano/Babchuk
Brodie/Sarich
Mikkleson

Tanguay/Couterier(I can dream!)/Iginla
J.Jokinen/Stajan/Williams
Hartnell/Backlund/Bourque
Holloway/Goc/Jackman
Ivanans/J.Armstrong

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:09 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

^ LA makes neither of those trades, Calgary would have to add in both instances.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:19 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Karlsson/Irving

Hickey/Bouwmeester
Giordano/Babchuk
Brodie/Sarich
Mikkleson

Tanguay/Couterier(I can dream!)/Iginla
J.Jokinen/Stajan/Williams
Hartnell/Backlund/Bourque
Holloway/Goc/Jackman
Ivanans/J.Armstrong
Yeeeeesh. Dislike. Basically you've added a few rookies, weakened goaltending and defense, and took a step sideways with the forwards.

Couterier is not going to step in and fill the #1 center position, that's for sure.

Spent too much money on Tanguay... he wants to be here long term, take advantage and sign him for 4 or 5 years at a reduced cost.

Goaltending will be a letdown.

If your trading Kipper you might as well be trading Iggy too.

Also you replaced a lot of just alright players with more just alright players.

Old
12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I've come up with a new years rebuild that gives a whole new roster, a lot of draft picks, and millions in cap space. It's long, so I wrote a blog a bout it.

http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=454

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I'm obviously no expert on the Flames but if I were GM I would most definitely have a conversation with Craig Conroy about his future. This is definitely his final season, after that I would try and groom him for a coaching/front office role. He's a fantastic ambassador, and I think he's got the right personality to be a head coach someday.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:47 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Mmm, I think Connie is too nice to be a head coach. He's made for TV if you ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I've come up with a new years rebuild that gives a whole new roster, a lot of draft picks, and millions in cap space. It's long, so I wrote a blog a bout it.

http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=454
I don't mean to nitpick, but why are you buying out Jokinen and then replacing him with Kopecky? Doesn't make much sense.