Notices

You're the New GM... What do you do?

Old
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
BurnEmUp

vCash: 500
D) Minor Re-tool

Before the Deadline:

1. Re-sign Tanguay - 3 years $10,500,000 ($3,500,000 per)
2. Re-sign Karlsson - 1 year $650,000
3. Re-sign Babchuk - 1 year $1,750,000

At the Deadline: (If we're way out of the playoff picture)

1. Trade Glencross to a contender for a late 2011 2nd Round Pick
2. Trade Morrison to a contender for a late 2011 2nd Round Pick
3. Trade Staios to a contender for a late 2011 3rd Round Pick

At the Draft:

1. Trade 2011 3rd Round Pick to Stars for the rights to Brad Richards if he hasn't re-signed with them yet.

Draft Picks:

1st - Flames (1)
2nd - Contender, Contender (2)
3rd - None
4th - Flames (1)
5th - Flames (1)
6th - Flames (1)
7th - Flames (1)

After the Draft:

1. Sign Richards - 4 years $28,000,000 ($7,000,000 per)
2. Re-sign RFA Pelech - 1 year $600,000
3. Re-sign RFA Mikkelson - 1 year $600,000

2011 Free Agency:

1. Go after Simon Gagne with a "Tanguay" type of deal - 1 year $2,000,000

2011 Summer:

1. Trade Cory Sarich to a team looking for a veteran defender.
2. Trade Matt Stajan to a team looking for a decent #2 centerman.

Line-up next fall:

FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Niklas Hagman ($3.000m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.270m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
Tom Kostopoulos ($0.916m) / David Moss ($1.300m) / Tim Jackman ($0.550m)
Raitis Ivanans ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.750m)
T.J. Brodie ($0.733m) / Matt Pelech ($0.600m)
Brendan Mikkelson ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m) / Henrik Karlsson ($0.650m)

BUYOUTS: Nigel Dawes ($0.141m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,499,166; BONUSES: $600,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,500,834

If that doesn't work then big changes would be coming in 2012......especially with:

Hagman
Kotalik
Jokinen
Gagne
Kostopolous
Jackman
Ivanans
Moss
Babchuk
Karlsson
Pelech
Mikkelson

....all becoming UFA's and freeing up about $20 million in cap space.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:03 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Of course no player has prearranged the intentions to lose, but clearly certain players are more motivated to win than others, and when considering victory is absolute and not relative, if one is not trying enough to win, then it can be assumed such an individual doesn't having a winning mentality. What could be deduced about such an individuals mentality?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:25 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

I'm going to laugh so hard if Feaster does nothing. Something tells me that there will only be a significant deal by the deadline IF the Flames are not close to making the playoffs. However, the last two years, we all know what was the case.

It's an interesting time to be a Flames fan, and Feaster has already stated today in the afternoon on the local radio station that he does not support flopping the season to get a high lottery pick.

He already stated that he believes in developing players correctly, sadly the Flames have little to really be excited about in the near future next to Backlund.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:28 AM
Roadrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I've never seen this opinion before. Definitely the first time it's ever been expressed on the internet. Thanks for your input. Unrelated, lets talk about who won the Phaneuf trade.
Just replying to flames123 comment on understanding people's roles before making comparisons. I take it that I didn't understand Boumeester's role?

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Oiler fan. I would say, try to be competitive for the next few years, then total rebuild when your first round picks are actually yours to keep. As for moving Iggy or Kipper, only for the right deal. Trading Iggy for Pittsburg's or Washington's first pick is a waste. Now, Iggy for Semin, or Iggy for Jordan Stahl...
did you know that only twice in franchise history have the Flames not had a 1st round pick?... judging by your post I would guess no

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Trade Matt Stajan to a team looking for a decent #2 centerman.

Firstly, Stajan is not a decent # 2 centre. His stats look OK for a #2 centre, but that's only because he gets #1 line ice time and premium PP time. If you cut back his ice and PP time, he'd get 40 points at best. He's really a glorified, soft #3 centre. Good luck finding someone to take that contract without making you take some bad salary back. Remember, a 55 point guy getting first line and PP time doesn't get 55 points when he gets moved down the pecking order.

Secondly, why would Brad Richards choose to come to Calgary? I expect he'd want to go to a playoff team.

And thirdly, you've generally done a good job in assessing the players and talent. Nice job.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:13 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Firstly, Stajan is not a decent # 2 centre. His stats look OK for a #2 centre, but that's only because he gets #1 line ice time and premium PP time. If you cut back his ice and PP time, he'd get 40 points at best. He's really a glorified, soft #3 centre. Good luck finding someone to take that contract without making you take some bad salary back. Remember, a 55 point guy getting first line and PP time doesn't get 55 points when he gets moved down the pecking order.
All valid points. While Stajan might not be a dynamic player, he is a very good complimentary player and could be a valuable asset to a team with strong wingers looking for a quality center, who is young, and signed to a low cap hit for several years. If the Stars for instance, are unable to extend Richards for whatever reason, they might look at Stajan as an option.

Quote:
Secondly, why would Brad Richards choose to come to Calgary? I expect he'd want to go to a playoff team.
Depends what Richards sees when he looks at the Flames roster. Maybe he sees a team that isn't as bad as their record would indicate, and feels he could be a key piece to get them back into the playoffs and compete for the cup. Maybe he likes Feaster, maybe he likes the city and maybe he likes the organization. Maybe he would welcome the opportunity to play with Iginla and Tanguay. Maybe he wants to finish his career in a hockey mad Canadian market, and sees the Flames as the best option in that regard.

Maybe none of the above is true, and likely no one knows for sure except Richards himself. Until he's signed elsewhere though, it's fun to speculate...and as fans it's all we can do really.

Quote:
And thirdly, you've generally done a good job in assessing the players and talent. Nice job.
Thank-you.

Old
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I'm of the opinion that the Flames need to do a full rebuild. Any kind of retooling will only provide help short term aid and continue us down the path we have already been going. This core is not capable of going all the way, blow it up now and get assets for our players while they still have value. Here's some moves I would do.

Trade Iginla
Option a)
To Boston: for TO's 1st rnd draft pick, Colborne and Ryder

or

To Boston: for 1st rnd pick (the B's), Wheeler, and Colborne and Ryder

Option b)
To LA: for Schenn, Kozun 1st rnd draft pick,

Trade Kipper
To Tampa: for 1st rnd draft pick, Brett Connolly

Trade Regehr
To Buffalo: for Zack Kassian, 3rd rnd pick

Trade Bourque
To Pittsburg: for Eric Tangradi, 2nd Round pick

Trade Jokinen
To Chicago: for 2nd rnd pick

Trade Hagman
To Canadiens: for 2nd rnd pick

Trade Sarich
To Anahiem: for 2nd rnd pick

This would give us an additional:
2 x 1st Round picks
4 x 2nd Round picks
1 x 3rd Round pick

We would now have a whole bunch of quality up and coming prospects that would fast track Calgary in a rebuild, not to mention a high 1st round pick of our own. We could use the saved cap space to fill any holes in our roster for next season. Calgary will probably finish towards the bottom of the standings next season, so high draft picks would likely be coming in the following season as well. But looking at the potential prospects I listed, along with Backlund, Nemisz, Wahl, Howse, Brodie and Erixon. I think Calgary would instantly have one of the top 3 prospect pools in the NHL. In a few years we could really turn this thing around and get excited about hockey again.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 12-31-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'm of the opinion that the Flames need to do a full rebuild. Any kind of retooling will only provide help short term aid and continue us down the path we have already been going. This core is not capable of going all the way, blow it up now and get assets for our players while they still have value. Here's some moves I would do.

Trade Iginla
Option a)
To Boston: for TO's 1st rnd draft pick, Colborne and Ryder

or

To Boston: for 1st rnd pick (the B's), Wheeler, and Colborne and Ryder

Option b)
To LA: for Schenn, Kozun 1st rnd draft pick,

Trade Kipper
To Tampa: for 1st rnd draft pick, Brett Connolly

Trade Regehr
To Buffalo: for Zack Kassian, 3rd rnd pick

Trade Bourque
To Pittsburg: for Eric Tangradi, 2nd Round pick

Trade Jokinen
To Chicago: for 2nd rnd pick

Trade Hagman
To Canadiens: for 2nd rnd pick

Trade Sarich
To Anahiem: for 2nd rnd pick

This would give us an additional:
2 x 1st Round picks
4 x 2nd Round picks
1 x 3rd Round pick

We would now have a whole bunch of quality up and coming prospects that would fast track Calgary in a rebuild, not to mention a high 1st round pick of our own. We could use the saved cap space to fill any holes in our roster for next season.
Most of these are unrealistic returns for the Flames. The Bruins do not want to give up Toronto's first, it's been rehashed a million times on here; it's not happening. I don't know that LA is willing to give up Schenn at this point, as his value is at an all time high. There's no way Tampa Bay deals Connolly AND a first for Kipper. As much as Kiprusoff is undervalued on the trade board, you simply aren't going to get a kid that was just taken in the top ten of the past draft as well as a first rounder on top of that, it's just not logical. Jokinen will require some salary back from Chicago, and probably a lower draft pick (a 3rd). I think the Bourque deal is relatively close, but it might be a slightly lower pick again. Hagman to Montreal is a interesting proposition, not really sure what Montreal fans would be willing to give up for him. Most of these are just a tad to optimistic for returns, but IMO the right teams are involved.

Steven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:13 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Most of these are unrealistic returns for the Flames. The Bruins do not want to give up Toronto's first, it's been rehashed a million times on here; it's not happening. I don't know that LA is willing to give up Schenn at this point, as his value is at an all time high. There's no way Tampa Bay deals Connolly AND a first for Kipper. As much as Kiprusoff is undervalued on the trade board, you simply aren't going to get a kid that was just taken in the top ten of the past draft as well as a first rounder on top of that, it's just not logical. Jokinen will require some salary back from Chicago, and probably a lower draft pick (a 3rd). I think the Bourque deal is relatively close, but it might be a slightly lower pick again. Hagman to Montreal is a interesting proposition, not really sure what Montreal fans would be willing to give up for him. Most of these are just a tad to optimistic for returns, but IMO the right teams are involved.
I will agree with that statement, however most in my proposals the main targets are the prospects more so than the draft picks. The prospects are a little further along in terms of their development than compared to the unknowns that we would be getting in the upcoming draft, and this will also help to speed along our rebuild. These proposals would be mostly starting points, and of course I assume some tinkering would have to be done (maybe drop a round in some cases, or take some salary back). But I did spend some real time into these proposals and feel they would benefit all teams involved.

Tampa needs a goalie and I think they would have a real interest to aquire Kipper. They have the room to add him, and would probably be willing to pay the most. I think changing the pick to a 2nd would be fair value for sure. As far as the Boston trade that is why I included different options. I would love to see Colborne and Wheeler on the Flames. Both players have a ton of upside, but at this point after seeing Schenn play at the WJC, I would more inclined to go after him. And I actually think Chicago would take Jokinen, AND I think they would give a 2nd for him. He totally fits their need, and I'm pretty dam sure Jokinen would waive to go there.

Old
12-31-2010, 01:32 AM
Steven

Fair enough. Most of these proposals are plausible though, and it's evident that you put some time and thought into them. I think the most realistic deal for Jarome is to Boston for their 1st, Colborne, Wheeler and Ryder. I know Flames fans want to see Iggy bring back something big (lottery pick/Schenn etc) but if worse comes to worse, I think that's a decent return, and I doubt Feaster (or whoever..) get much more than that.

I'm not so sure Chicago would have a ton of interest in Jokinen, but then again I'm not overly familiar their top-six situation right now. Another idea to consider is one of either Stajan or Jokinen to Washington. They have a need for a second line center, and both of them fit that requirement. I think that Jokinen might be a better option than Stajan because his contract is much shorter and would expire at the end of next season, which gives a guy like Marcus Johansson time to develope and then eventually take full second line duties in a few years. However, Stajan would be a much better long term situation. Contrary to popular beliefe, I feel that his contract is totally reasonable for a player like him, and his numbers would definitely get a huge boost playing back out east on a team like the Capitals. Not really sure what I'd be looking for from the Caps for Jokinen/Stajan though. Maybe a 2nd/3rd rounder and a salary dump?

Steven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:20 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Dear lord. I cannot contain myself any longer. First off, why in the blue hell would richards sign with with calgary? That whole post was awful in my opinion.

Next persons proposal. Let me say this clearly, NMC/NTC!!! You cant be trading players for picks when they are locked down with movement clauses. Ok, now lets pretend those dont exist in this magical world of make believe.

Jokinen. A second round pick for Jokinen? The same Jokinen that had the entire TSN panel laughing at calgary for signing, let alone for 3 years @ 3m per. Who in their right mind would not just spend 3m for a guy who doesnt perform, but give up picks for him? Nobody. Jokinen is either going to play in calgary for 2 more years or he will go to europe. Nobody wants him, and he will likely never play on another nhl team again. The guy is a joke. No gm would sign him even if they wanted to for fear of ridicule and backlash from season ticket holders and hockey analysts. But that line of reasoning is just silly, nobody would give up picks for him.

Stajan. 3.5m for 4 more years to a guy that also doesnt perform. He isnt an "average" 2nd line center, his is a poor second line center. He has 2 goals this year. 2. The season is almost half over and he has 2 goals. He also has a long contract for 3.5m per, and he scored 2 ****ing goals. Why would any team want to center their second unit around a guy that has 2 ****ing goals? Playoff teams dont want him, because he sucks and they already have something better. Non-playoff teams dont want him because, get this, they are actually trying to be good. They want what you want, young talent and a future. Now why in the blue hell would a team trying to contend bog themselves down with a lengthy and unjustifiably high contract, when they are trying to improve? The guy has 2 goals this year......... 2. His contract has negative value. Let alone getting picks back.

Then there is the other 10 guys with ntc/nmc that dont perform you would trade for second rounders

People, please for the love of god stop making delusional and completely unrealistic proposals. It makes the entire flames fan base look bad.

Last edited by Nachoman AlfieSavage*: 12-31-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:55 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
Dear lord. I cannot contain myself any longer. First off, why in the blue hell would richards sign with with calgary? That whole post was awful in my opinion.

Next persons proposal. Let me say this clearly, NMC/NTC!!! You cant be trading players for picks when they are locked down with movement clauses. Ok, now lets pretend those dont exist in this magical world of make believe.

Jokinen. A second round pick for Jokinen? The same Jokinen that had the entire TSN panel laughing at calgary for signing, let alone for 3 years @ 3m per. Who in their right mind would not just spend 3m for a guy who doesnt perform, but give up picks for him? Nobody. Jokinen is either going to play in calgary for 2 more years or he will go to europe. Nobody wants him, and he will likely never play on another nhl team again. The guy is a joke. No gm would sign him even if they wanted to for fear of ridicule and backlash from season ticket holders and hockey analysts. But that line of reasoning is just silly, nobody would give up picks for him.

Stajan. 3.5m for 4 more years to a guy that also doesnt perform. He isnt an "average" 2nd line center, his is a poor second line center. He has 2 goals this year. 2. The season is almost half over and he has 2 goals. He also has a long contract for 3.5m per, and he scored 2 ****ing goals. Why would any team want to center their second unit around a guy that has 2 ****ing goals? Playoff teams dont want him, because he sucks and they already have something better. Non-playoff teams dont want him because, get this, they are actually trying to be good. They want what you want, young talent and a future. Now why in the blue hell would a team trying to contend bog themselves down with a lengthy and unjustifiably high contract, when they are trying to improve? The guy has 2 goals this year......... 2. His contract has negative value. Let alone getting picks back.

Then there is the other 10 guys with ntc/nmc that dont perform you would trade for second rounders

People, please for the love of god stop making delusional and completely unrealistic proposals. It makes the entire flames fan base look bad.

You must have been the dimmest light bulb on the tree for Christmas this year.

You think just because a player has a NTC/NMC he can't be traded?

Well I got news for you genius, they can be traded if they agree to it.....and I've got more news for you, it happens all the god%&^* time.

Pronger, Brad Richards, Gomez, Kotalik, Sturm have all waived their NTC/NMC's in the last few years in order to be traded, just to name a few.

Re: Jokinen --- News flash for you, he was signed for two years not three. You say we are making Flames fans look bad? You don't even know how long our players are signed for, for crap sakes.

Oh yeah, and Jokinen is not being paid $5+ million anymore. Like you said, he's getting $3 million, which fair value for a guy on pace for roughly 20 goals and 50 points.....not to mention that he was off to a slow start but has scored 6 goals and 9 points in his last 9 games. You don't know any NHL teams that would want a 20 goal 50 point center for $3 million a year? Or do you actually believe they'd turn him away because they "think they'd get laughed at by the TSN panel"? <- ROFL

Re: Stajan - The guy has put up 3 straight years of 15-19 goals, and two straight years of 55+ points. Just because he is having off year doesn't mean he's suddenly no good any more. He's 27 years old, not 37. Just shows how dim you actually are, where you would completely dismiss 3 FULL SEASONS simply because of 30 games or so, and 30 games where he spent time on the shelf with a fudged up shoulder.

Yeah, you just keep running around "facepalming" as many posts as you can. Trust me, nobody is going to care, because your pile of garbage post just shed a bright light on how limited your hockey knowledge actually is.

Old
12-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Pilkington

Quote:

I can't believe I just saw a sensible post on this forum

Well done and every single word of it is 100% true.

As for the topic at hand I would sign a few goons like Jon Mirasty and at least entertain the fans Vityaz style while we lose our way to a good position in the draft.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
So... You're the "next person"?

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...9&postcount=26
Quote:
So, what would i do? Start with Jaybo. Yes, hes good. I like him, but his cap hit is huge and his play doesnt justify it. Hate to use them as an example but those nucks got Erhoff for what? a second rounder? And his level of play is relatively close to Jaybo's. So i would find a team who would throw me picks and a prospect (I think a first and a mid prospect is fair considering his huge cap hit) as well as some salary dumps with 1 year left on their contract.
Bouwmeester - NTC
Quote:
Then i go to Kipper. I hate to say it, but Calgary is a bad team not going anywhere. By the time this team is ready to make it past the first round again, he wont be the goalie he is now. He is probably the most valuable asset, aside from iggy, and will fetch a sizable return. I predict a first and a top level prospect and salary dumps (with 1 year left or in last year), or a first, a second, mid to low prospect and dumps.
Kiprusoff - NMC
Quote:
Next is Borque. Sorry kid, i like ya, but this team is 5 years away from making the playoffs in my opinion. We just dont need you. Trade for a high second round pick and a fifth.
Bourque - NTC
Quote:
Regehr. Try to get a first, settle for second from a lottery team.
Regehr - NMC

Talk about making the fan base look bad...

Seriously if you're going to rant about what someone says, make sure you haven't already said it yourself, okay?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Re: Stajan - The guy has put up 3 straight years of 15-19 goals, and two straight years of 55+ points. Just because he is having off year doesn't mean he's suddenly no good any more. He's 27 years old, not 37. Just shows how dim you actually are, where you would completely dismiss 3 FULL SEASONS simply because of 30 games or so, and 30 games where he spent time on the shelf with a fudged up shoulder.
When you score 15 goals (2 this year) playing first line centre with first line talent and getting oddles of PP time, you are fairly useless.

Most players could accomplish that.

It's what players on last place teams do.

Put Stajan at third line and watch him get 5 gaols and 20 assists per season, at best. And pay him $1.5M, and he's OK.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
ddawg1950

The mess Calgary is in didn't just happen over night...and the solution isn't going to happen over night either. Dumping contracts and making major trades always sounds like a good idea, but there aren't too many teams that will pay a high price for some of the players mentioned. of course Iggy, Reggie ancd Kipper are all very valuable pieces, but all have pretty big contracts and dumping those on the market without having to take major salary back (or garbage player contracts) doesn't really happen much in the cap world. Toronto tried the quick turnaround...and if you look in your rear view mirror, you'll see where they've ended up 2 1/2 years into their quick turnaround.

And it seems to me the Leafs were in a similar situation to the Flames just before Burke arrived.

Fletcher was named interim GM and he had an aging superstar and a bunch of NM contracts that he dumped on the market. He got almost nothing in return.

The question in my mind is, does the Calgary management structure have a plan? Who are they targeting as a full time GM? Is Feaster your guy? And if so, what is his plan. If he offers simple solutions to complex problems, be afraid.

If Calgary can go out there and score a guy like Nill...and if Flame fans can be patient over the next few years, then you can pull off a re-build. But within that patience lies a fair ampount of pain. It won't be a happy time.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
So... You're the "next person"?

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...9&postcount=26

Bouwmeester - NTC

Kiprusoff - NMC

Bourque - NTC

Regehr - NMC

Talk about making the fan base look bad...

Seriously if you're going to rant about what someone says, make sure you haven't already said it yourself, okay?

Big difference between asking a elite "stars" to trade their ntc to go to a contending team and olli jokinen and matt stajan to waive to go....... uhh..... to another bottom feeding team for picks someone would never in a million years give. The one guy was right, some people do waive them. And calgarys situation is exactly why they do. Great players who arent getting younger on a team which decides to rebuild.

Also, Kippers only lasts until after next season, and borques is modified. Regehr said before the season started that he would waive it if calgary asked him to. So its basically asking just jaybo to waive his clause to go to a team which isnt in rebuild mode. Which is what star players do that want to get out of a rebuild situation.

Ironically enough your claim of being uninformed is amusingly uninformed

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Big difference between asking a elite "stars" to trade their ntc to go to a contending team and olli jokinen and matt stajan to waive to go....... uhh..... to another bottom feeding team for picks someone would never in a million years give. The one guy was right, some people do waive them. And calgarys situation is exactly why they do. Great players who arent getting younger on a team which decides to rebuild.

Also, Kippers only lasts until after next season, and borques is modified. Regehr said before the season started that he would waive it if calgary asked him to. So its basically asking just jaybo to waive his clause to go to a team which isnt in rebuild mode. Which is what star players do that want to get out of a rebuild situation.

Ironically enough your claim of being uninformed is amusingly uninformed

You got completely owned, complaining about people proposing to move players with NTC's and NMC's, when you have done the same thing yourself, and now you're just making stuff up because you haven't got a leg to stand on.

In the posts you are criticizing, I don't see anybody proposing to trade Stajan or Jokinen to "bottom feeding team"......

You mine as well quit while you're behind.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Body Checker

Why is everyone so high on Joe Colborne? He's already been criticized for lack of passion and he's a rookie, that says something....

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:07 PM
deckercky

Calgary is bad right now - everyone knows it. But I don't think a wholesale change is needed. I think the comparison to the 2008 Canucks is a good one. You have some good pieces, but the sum of everyone is underwhelming. You need a culture change and a system change probably, along with selectively changing pieces.

Out of Jay-Bo, Iginla, Kipper and Regehr, you should move 1 or 2 to restock the prospects and get some younger players on the roster. I'd move Regehr for sure - I think he'll have a high trade value to a bubble team. Jay-Bo is playing well but also is tough to trade with his cap hit, so keep him. Keep one of Iginla and Kipper. See which one helps out the team more in the trades available.

Ideally, I think Kipper goes then the team signs a young goaltender who's on a team that doesn't have room for him to grow on the depth chart.

Work to sign a free agent first line centerman. Ideally you can get some players to put Iginla with support on the first line, and Stajan with Tanguay providing talent on the second line. Probably put Bourque as first line winger - you're unlikely to replace his talent with a trade.

I agree with Conroy stepping down and joining the organization if possible.

See if you can get a second rounder for Jokinen. If you can't get that much at least, not a crisis and let him play out his contract (3rd line?).

Kotalik I'd trade for a bag of pucks. See if anyone wants him for anything. If not, same deal as Jokinen.

Bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defencemen are all movable if the deal is right. The player to replace depends on the system you're trying to build, and the players available. Really, you need the coach and the GM to discuss the team they can build with those pieces. This vision is also the pitch they make to free agents to hopefully draw them to the team.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Why is everyone so high on Joe Colborne? He's already been criticized for lack of passion and he's a rookie, that says something....
Because he has all the tools to be a top level centre in the NHL. However, he does have a long way to go before and if he ever reaches those expectations. I would be a little worried that if he was ever traded to the Flames that everyone would think he is going to be the messiah that saves this franchise, that is an unfair expectation to put on him. Yes he is young, but this kid has tremendous upside and it is listed that his favorite team growing up was the Flames. Could work out to be a really good fit for everyone.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 01-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
BurnEmUp

Re-tooling of the core (Iggy, Kipper, Reggie)

Leading Up To And/Or At The Deadline:

To Washington: Mikka Kiprusoff, Brendan Morrison, Matt Pelech
To Calgary: Michal Neuvirth, Karl Alzner, 2011 3rd Round Pick

(This deal fits into Washington's cap at the deadline)

To Montreal: Curtis Glencross
To Calgary: 2011 2nd Round Draft Pick

To Boston: Jarome Iginla, John Negrin, 2011 2nd Round Draft Pick (Habs)
To Calgary: Michael Ryder, David Krejci, Joe Colborne, 2011 1st Round Draft Pick (Bruins)

To Atlanta: Michael Ryder, David Moss, 2012 2nd Round Draft Pick (Conditional on Ryder Re-signing with Atlanta)
To Calgary: Niclas Bergfors, Ben Eager

To Tampa Bay: Steve Staios
To Calgary: 2011 3rd Round Draft Pick

Re-sign - UFA Alex Tanguay - 3 years $10,500,000 ($3,500,000 per)
Re-sign - UFA Anton Babchuk - 1 year $1,750,000
Re-sign - UFA Henrik Karlsson - 1 year $650,000
Re-sign - UFA Ben Eager - 2 years $2,000,000 ($1,000,000 per)

Re-sign - RFA Karl Alzner - 3 years $5,250,000 ($1,750,000 per)
Re-sign - RFA Niclas Bergfors - 1 year $1,200,000
Re-sign - RFA Brendan Mikkelson - 1 year $600,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leading Up To And/Or At The Draft:

Likely none of these players will be available, but if they are:

To New Jersey: Robyn Regehr, Mikael Backlund, TJ Brodie, 2011 1st Round Draft Pick (Flames)
To Calgary: RFA Zach Parise

To Dallas: Matt Stajan, 2011 3rd Round Draft Pick (Capitals)
To Calgary: Tomas Vincour, 2011 2nd Round Draft Pick, Rights to UFA Brad Richards

To Carolina: Cory Sarich, 2011 3rd Round Draft Pick
To Calgary: 2011 2nd Round Draft Pick, Rights To UFA Joni Pitkanen

Sign - RFA Zach Parise - 8 years $48,000,000 ($6,000,000 per)
Sign - UFA Brad Richards - 4 years $28,000,000 ($7,000,000 per)
Sign - UFA Joni Pitkanen - 5 years $30,000,000 ($6,000,000 per)

Like I said, likely these players aren't available....and if they aren't, or we can't swing deals for them if they are, we'd still have:

Robyn Regehr, Cory Sarich, Matt Stajan, Mikael Backlund, TJ Brodie, our 1st Round pick at the draft and two 3rd Round picks at the draft, plus all the other assets we acquired from the Atlanta, Boston and Washington deals.

Assuming the above deals happen:

1st - Bruins
2nd - Stars, Canes
3rd - None
4th - Flames
5th - Flames
6th - Flames
7th - Flames

Assuming the above deals don't happen:

1st - Flames, Bruins
2nd - None
3rd - Caps, Bolts
4th - Flames
5th - Flames
6th - Flames
7th - Flames

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Line-up for 2011-12:

FORWARDS

1. Zach Parise ($6.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
2. Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / David Krejci ($3.750m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($1.200m)
3. Niklas Hagman ($3.000m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
4. Ben Eager ($1.000m) / Joe Colborne ($1.100m) / Tim Jackman ($0.550m)
Extra - Tom Kostopoulos ($0.916m) / Raitis Ivanans ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

1. Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
2. Joni Pitkanen ($6.000m) / Karl Alzner ($1.750m)
3. Tim Erixon ($0.975m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.750m)
Extra - Brendan Mikkelson ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS

1. Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
2. Henrik Karlsson ($0.650m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,666,667; BONUSES: $337,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,070,833

Last edited by BurnEmUp: 01-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old
01-02-2011, 03:47 PM
WebSlinger

^^^ Well thought out Burn... Looks suspiciously like a Cup-Contender. A substantial long shot, but i'd LOVE to see it get done...

WebSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlinger View Post
^^^ Well thought out Burn... Looks suspiciously like a Cup-Contender. A substantial long shot, but i'd LOVE to see it get done...
Thanks.

Like I said, those three players would ideally be the ones we'd target around the draft.

Any combination of one, two or three of them would be great.....if none could be landed though, for whatever reason, this is what we'd have to work with on July 1st and then for the rest of the summer.....

FORWARDS

1. Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / David Krejci ($3.750m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
2. Niklas Hagman ($3.000m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($1.200m)
3. Ben Eager ($1.000m) / Matthew Stajan ($3.500m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
4. Tom Kostopoulos ($0.916m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.270m) / Tim Jackman ($0.550m)
Extra - Raitis Ivanans ($0.600m) / Joe Colborne ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN

1. Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)
2. Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Cory Sarich ($3.600m)
3. Karl Alzner ($1.750m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.750m)
Extra - Brendan Mikkelson ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS

1. Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
2. Henrik Karlsson ($0.650m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,082,500; BONUSES: $637,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,955,000

Not a great team, but if left as is, would be competitive....

Plus Brodie (along with Erixon) is still in the organization, and the two prospects we pick in the first round at the draft. (Plus the others..)

Roughly $9,000,000 in cap space to work with, and plenty of tradeable assets as we try to land some more top line talent.

If nothing can be done for the right price, then we'd still have a competitive team while at the same time building for the future.