HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Ellerby sent down, injured players skating.

Old
12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Ellerby sent down, injured players skating.

Quote:
The Panthers have had seven defensemen on their roster since Bryan Allen was activated on Dec. 15, but they're back to six again. Keaton Ellerby, a healthy scratch the past five games, was sent back to the Panthers AHL affiliate in Rochester, N.Y. Ellerby will meet the Americans in Cleveland for their game against the Lake Erie Monsters.

He did a good job up here, but this gives him a chance to get in some games,'' DeBoer said.

-All three of Florida's injured wingers (Rostislav Olesz, Cory Stillman and Radek Dvorak) took contact at Tuesday's practice.
Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#ixzz19S16DuRk

12-28-2010, 05:30 PM
sabrefan27

He also failed to mention Thomas is on waivers.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
He also failed to mention Thomas is on waivers.
Not convinced this is a good thing, but...

UKPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Erick

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
KWGoon

“He did a good job up here, but this gives him a chance to get in some games,'' DeBoer said.

Interpretation: Pete can tell kids who make less than him to bugger off but doesn't have the balls to sit vets who suck but make more $$$.

For example, Wideman is -13 with 2+13=15, Ellerby is +5 with 0+4=4.

Reality check: kids like Dadonov and Matthias (who's also inexplicably on PDB's crap list) not only have produced but also have entertained. I don't think Ellerby deserved what sounds like is going to be a pretty long period in Rochester. Dadonov will probably join him there soon.

Last edited by KWGoon: 12-28-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
TheMightyPanther85

Why? Wasn't he doing really well before they scratched him? And if that thing about Thomas being put on waivers is true he was doing really well too. Whatever happened to accountability and playing the players that play well versus players who are slacking?

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyPanther85 View Post
Why? Wasn't he doing really well before they scratched him? And if that thing about Thomas being put on waivers is true he was doing really well too. Whatever happened to accountability and playing the players that play well versus players who are slacking?
Can only keep so many players up and they're not going to put one way contracts in the minors. This team has a budget. Dvorak, Stillman, and Olesz all have guaranteed spots.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
He did a good job up here, but this gives him a chance to get in some games,'' DeBoer said.

Interpretation: Pete can tell kids who make less than him to bugger off but doesn't have the balls to sit vets who suck but make more $$$.

For example, Wideman is -13 with 2+13=15, Ellerby is +5 with 0+4=4.

Reality check: kids like Dadonov and Matthias (who's also inexplicably on PDB's crap list) not only have produced but also have entertained. I don't think Ellerby deserved what sounds like is going to be a pretty long period in Rochester. Dadonov will probably join him there soon.
I'm pretty sure the GENERAL MANAGER decides who comes up and who goes down with the input of Pete. Player movement like this is Dale Tallon's job not Petes.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:18 PM
sinDer

Good the hear that Dvorak and Olesz are skating

As for Stillman...I don't care

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:25 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Good the hear that Dvorak and Olesz are skating

As for Stillman...I don't care
You should care. He'll likely return a second or third round pick at the deadline.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I'm pretty sure the GENERAL MANAGER decides who comes up and who goes down with the input of Pete. Player movement like this is Dale Tallon's job not Petes.
DeBoer decides who dresses and who doesn't, and Ellerby being a healthy scratch for 5 straight games with guys struggling while he played very well doesn't sit with his talk of accountability, no matter how you try to slice it. Keaton could have played, and I'm looking forward to his being here on a regular basis, should his play continue in the way that it was.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
DeBoer decides who dresses and who doesn't, and Ellerby being a healthy scratch for 5 straight games with guys struggling while he played very well doesn't sit with his talk of accountability, no matter how you try to slice it. Keaton could have played, and I'm looking forward to his being here on a regular basis, should his play continue in the way that it was.
I never said anything about him being scratched. We've played well lately and there is more to a decision made about who gets scratched than what we see in games. None of us know what goes into Pete's decision and since we've been playing well I find it hard to make a big deal about the decision to scratch Ellerby.

Old
12-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I never said anything about him being scratched. We've played well lately and there is more to a decision made about who gets scratched than what we see in games. None of us know what goes into Pete's decision and since we've been playing well I find it hard to make a big deal about the decision to scratch Ellerby.
Didn't say that you did, but you jumped on KW pretty good and I don't think you kept in mind that DeBo does factor into those decisions on whose up. And when they first scratched Ellerby, Garrison could have easily been scratched. I'm glad he played through it and has been doing better, but Ellerby earned more playing time, imo. I'm sure he'll be the first call-up, but I don't like how this could possibly factor into a decision of Olesz/Stillman over Dadonov. If there's anyone who should stay up, it's Dads. Also, don't want Hordi scratched, either. He's been playing well, doesn't hurt the team, and I think we need him on the ice. (Yeah, don't trust DeBoer too much.

Old
12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Didn't say that you did, but you jumped on KW pretty good and I don't think you kept in mind that DeBo does factor into those decisions on whose up. And when they first scratched Ellerby, Garrison could have easily been scratched. I'm glad he played through it and has been doing better, but Ellerby earned more playing time, imo. I'm sure he'll be the first call-up, but I don't like how this could possibly factor into a decision of Olesz/Stillman over Dadonov. If there's anyone who should stay up, it's Dads. Also, don't want Hordi scratched, either. He's been playing well, doesn't hurt the team, and I think we need him on the ice. (Yeah, don't trust DeBoer too much.
I said with the input of Pete. The ultimate decision is Tallons. I don't think Dadanov gets sent down.

Old
12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I said with the input of Pete. The ultimate decision is Tallons. I don't think Dadanov gets sent down.
Amerks coach Weber seems to think he will:

Quote:
I talked to all of our guys last week (when the Panthers played in Buffalo) and they knew they would be back, it was just a matter of when, Weber said.
http://php.democratandchronicle.com/blog/sports2/?p=863

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
panthersfan751

This "accountability" line looks more and more like a facade.

What a joke that someone like Ellerby plays well and yet sits and is then demoted. If they demote Dadonov, then I don't blame him if he gets upset again with this management.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Ellerby is the only defensman who could be sent down without having to go through waivers. It simply makes the most sense to send him down so he can actually play some hockey. Sounds like Markstrom needs him anyways.

Sure, we could keep him up and sit Garrison or someone else, but there's no benefit to that. Let Ellerby get top-pairing minutes in the AHL until we have another injury. The kid is still developing, and he needs to play the game. He'll log a ton of minutes, and hopefully, see the difference between the AHL and NHL, and use that to his advantage.

Obviously, Ellerby played extremely well, and he should figure into our plans for next season along with Guds and Kuli. Not bad to have at least 3/6 of our D corps products of our own draft selections.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
This "accountability" line looks more and more like a facade.

What a joke that someone like Ellerby plays well and yet sits and is then demoted. If they demote Dadonov, then I don't blame him if he gets upset again with this management.
No need to freak out about this. They know they'll be back because they know it makes the most sense. Dadonov has made an excellent case for himself, and sending him down will be tough, but when we're out of a playoff spot in late January/early February, we'll be trading some guys, and Ellerby and Dads will be the first two callups. So just chill out and enjoy the ride.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Tallon doesn't mind at all if PDB makes all kinds of boneheaded decisions like this one. It'll be that much easier to fire him later. I don't mind that strategy, but I hate to wait.

You got all nit picky about an unimportant technicality and didn't address the meat of the topic at all. PDB is the one who made the statement, so obviously he figured into the decision.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Ellerby is the only defensman who could be sent down without having to go through waivers. It simply makes the most sense to send him down so he can actually play some hockey. Sounds like Markstrom needs him anyways.

Sure, we could keep him up and sit Garrison or someone else, but there's no benefit to that. Let Ellerby get top-pairing minutes in the AHL until we have another injury. The kid is still developing, and he needs to play the game. He'll log a ton of minutes, and hopefully, see the difference between the AHL and NHL, and use that to his advantage.

Obviously, Ellerby played extremely well, and he should figure into our plans for next season along with Guds and Kuli. Not bad to have at least 3/6 of our D corps products of our own draft selections.
I wasn't saying Ellerby should/would stay up long term, and I fully get why he was sent down, but the fact of the matter is that deBoer talked a lot about accountability and sitting players, about guys who earned the spot getting it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't, nor do I think anyone has either, expect Keaton to stay up and Tallon to place one of the other guys on waivers, but no one can tell me that a few defenseman earned the right to be scratched here and there.

I have no problem with Ellerby being sent down, I just don't like the continual talk with no backup behind it.

Old
12-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Gudbranson44

Its a shame it works like this with waivers. He has proven he can play with the big cats, and to me that is a great thing. We now have a call-up who is more than comfortable with playing large minutes.
when the deadline comes and we ship away some dmen, he should be the first one to be recalled and try-out for next season.

Its better for him to play games than sit up in the press box, so we shouldnt complain. he was basically sent down 5 games ago

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:14 AM
panthertod

Nobody will pick up Thomas, this is not a big deal.

panthertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
My opinions of Deboer might change if Dadonov gets sent down.

I don't have a problem with sending Ellerby down.

McCabe, Wides, Kuli, Allen, Weaver, Garrison are the guys and are able to play the minutes required. I just don't see who you would sit in order to play Ellerby, I don't think he's really blown anyone away enough to beat any of those guys out right now.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Georgia Panther

Why, oh why, did they not waive Olesz? 99.99% chance he would not have been claimed and would have been getting top line minutes in Rochester in the slight chance he could prove he could become a consistent goal scorer while Thomas could have remained here as a useful performer on the third and fourth lines?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Why, oh why, did they not waive Olesz? 99.99% chance he would not have been claimed and would have been getting top line minutes in Rochester in the slight chance he could prove he could become a consistent goal scorer while Thomas could have remained here as a useful performer on the third and fourth lines?
I thought Olesz was playing pretty decent before he got injured. Then again, he's always injured, so it doesn't really matter.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote