HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2010, 07:40 PM
  #76
umwoz
Registered User
 
umwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
and exactly what evidence does that picture provide? It's 2 dimensional, we can't even be sure if his shoulder is touching his head or not as they're sort of overlapped which could mean they're touching or 1 is in front of the other from that angle, if you showed me a picture from 90 degrees clockwise and I saw no gap then I would say they're touching but depth cannot be proven from a 2 dimensional picture, and that's why it isn't evidence, and i'm not being pro canadian because as soon a I saw it I thought 5 and a game and possibly suspended for the tournament, however after watching the replay I honestly cannot tell if it's head or not so I'm gonna leave it up to the people who have multiple replays
This is so easy to understand, the photo holds no standing here. Especially since it's still not the initial contact. You can say that the initial contact isn't important, but that's not true. Where the hit is directed is the key here.

umwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
  #77
sickest flow bro
Registered User
 
sickest flow bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
I've seen worse.. getting blown way out of proportion.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
  #78
dawgweed
Registered User
 
dawgweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
and exactly what evidence does that picture provide? It's 2 dimensional, we can't even be sure if his shoulder is touching his head or not as they're sort of overlapped which could mean they're touching or 1 is in front of the other from that angle, if you showed me a picture from 90 degrees clockwise and I saw no gap then I would say they're touching but depth cannot be proven from a 2 dimensional picture, and that's why it isn't evidence, and i'm not being pro canadian because as soon a I saw it I thought 5 and a game and possibly suspended for the tournament, however after watching the replay I honestly cannot tell if it's head or not so I'm gonna leave it up to the people who have multiple replays
You are arguing for the sake of arguing; the picture is clear.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
  #79
umwoz
Registered User
 
umwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgweed View Post
You are arguing for the sake of arguing; the picture is clear.
And you aren't giving a counter argument that disputes the fact that.

1) The photo cannot show whether the shoulder is touching the head.

2) The photo doesn't show depth, whatsoever.

3) The photo doesn't show you where the hit was directed.


How in a world of video review does a still shot tell the entire story?

umwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:47 PM
  #80
dawgweed
Registered User
 
dawgweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepuckdropshere View Post
The NHL is cracking down on blindside hits to the head. This head wasn't anything of the nature.
I agree to a certain extent that this isn't representative of the videos that the NHL uses for examples however; it was certainly blindside and it was a hit to the head.

I don't believe for a second there was any intent on Kassian's part to deliver a hit to the head but that isn't required for the penalty to be assessed.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
  #81
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
hodge just said they dissected it in the 'tsn video lab', and it looks like chin/neck.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
  #82
Thepuckdropshere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Correct. Just extremely late.
Since the moment the hit happened, I've agreed it was late. But that is it.

Thepuckdropshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
  #83
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 46,589
vCash: 500
There was definitely contact with the chin, which I think was the "sweet spot".

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:49 PM
  #84
sickest flow bro
Registered User
 
sickest flow bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Even the smallest pancake has 2 sides..

kas****.jpg

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:53 PM
  #85
dawgweed
Registered User
 
dawgweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
And you aren't giving a counter argument that disputes the fact that.

1) The photo cannot show whether the shoulder is touching the head.

2) The photo doesn't show depth, whatsoever.

3) The photo doesn't show you where the hit was directed.


How in a world of video review does a still shot tell the entire story?

I am completely confident that in a court of law, a judge would absolutely accept the still as evidence as proof of ahit ot he head.

Unless you are missing some elemental understanding of physics and laws of nature I can't see how you can argue and suggest that there wasn't a hit to the head.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:54 PM
  #86
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,551
vCash: 500
Good clean hit. Nothing wrong with it. Feel sorry about the player who got hurt but this was more the result of a player used to hitting and a player not used to get hit that hard then anything dirty.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
  #87
dawgweed
Registered User
 
dawgweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Good clean hit. Nothing wrong with it. Feel sorry about the player who got hurt but this was more the result of a player used to hitting and a player not used to get hit that hard then anything dirty.
Not many people have suggested "dirty". In my opinion a dirty hit requires some intent, but it is most definitely a hit to the head.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
  #88
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
Homerism doesn't waver even in the face of evidence. This could be a case study..
Leave it alone ffs.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
  #89
umwoz
Registered User
 
umwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgweed View Post
I am completely confident that in a court of law, a judge would absolutely accept the still as evidence as proof of ahit ot he head.

Unless you are missing some elemental understanding of physics and laws of nature I can't see how you can argue and suggest that there wasn't a hit to the head.
You are looking at it the wrong way. Was the head/neck area touched, absolutely. However we are talking about the direction of the hit, the hit is clearly not directed at the head area. Hence why the initial contact was with the chest.

A piece of his neck/chin being clipped as a result of a hit to the sternum area doesn't constitute a head hit. Matt Cooke, Jeff Carter's head hits were directed at the head, and hit a large portion of the head. This was a slight clip of the jaw at most.

umwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:58 PM
  #90
Signature
Trademarkedô
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Good clean hit. Nothing wrong with it. Feel sorry about the player who got hurt but this was more the result of a player used to hitting and a player not used to get hit that hard then anything dirty.
Not to mention, Kassian stands at 6'3 without shoulder pads adding to shoulder height.
Senkerik only stands at 5'11, so his chin's already at something like 5'6 area.
Senkerik would actually have to lift his chin not to even get clipped by a hit from Kassian on a good day...

I will say though that the hit was late, only a tad bit - and that Kassian was hunting. Not headhunting, but definitely looking to get that hit in.

Don't like the penalty + match + another game, but..
IIHF refs though did their duty... protect the players. It's their main priority. I don't like it necessarily, but I can't fight the logic.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
  #91
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
A penalty wasn't called until they brought out the stretcher. That should be proof enough that there shouldn't be a suspension.

I suspect the player will claim his career is over until Kassian's kicked out of the tournament and then come back the next game.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM
  #92
petr86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
I would not say it is a headshot, but late hit? maaaybeee. not sure, to be honest. Hope Senkerik is ok

petr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:07 PM
  #93
dawgweed
Registered User
 
dawgweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
You are looking at it the wrong way. Was the head/neck area touched, absolutely. However we are talking about the direction of the hit, the hit is clearly not directed at the head area. Hence why the initial contact was with the chest.

A piece of his neck/chin being clipped as a result of a hit to the sternum area doesn't constitute a head hit. Matt Cooke, Jeff Carter's head hits were directed at the head, and hit a large portion of the head. This was a slight clip of the jaw at most.
I think you are being too casual in your interpretation of "directed at the head". The check is directed at the head since Kassian's shoulder is higher than the other player's shoulder. Even though he probably intended to hit shoulder to shoulder, he missed and the hit ended up being shoulder to chin while Kassian's ribs make contact with the other player's arm/shoulder area.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
  #94
Boom King
Registered User
 
Boom King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrcz View Post
I would not say it is a headshot, but late hit? maaaybeee. not sure, to be honest. Hope Senkerik is ok
Word is that he was doing ok after the game. Whether ok means fit to play, that probably still has to be determined by physicians and such.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:11 PM
  #95
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
My thoughts on this was that I felt the hit was not a hit to the head however it was late and a late hit against a defenseless foe is nearly as bad as a hit to the head.
Yeah it was clearly a late hit as another Czech player had touched the puck.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
  #96
The Overseer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
The mere fact that was penalized is a joke. Having a one-game suspension (at minimum) tacked on is simply a farce and an embarrassment to this sport.

The worst part is that this is only the beginning. The NHL will adopt similar measures soon. We're seeing the death of contact in hockey, and I can't believe some of you are fine with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Good canadian hockey!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
Beautiful hit, don't admire your passes kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Definitely not a headshot. That still photo doesn't tell the story since its not the initial contact. The tsn replay made it quite clear that this was a shoulder to chest hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
Clean hit. Chickens**t call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
What picture evidence, we're talking initial point of contact here. That picture shows the result of a shoulder to the chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Canada can appeal to have the misconduct revoked, so there is not a sureshot suspension here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
Good clean hockey called a penalty by gutless Euro refs.

That's the long and short of it, folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
I doubt that, since most Canadian fans - get this! - understand the game and the way it's meant to be played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
The IIHF headshot rule clearly states that you have to direct your hit at the head and neck area. It's not that different, the hit was directed at the chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepuckdropshere View Post
The NHL is cracking down on blindside hits to the head. This hit wasn't anything of the nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Good clean hit. Nothing wrong with it. Feel sorry about the player who got hurt but this was more the result of a player used to hitting and a player not used to get hit that hard then anything dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
A penalty wasn't called until they brought out the stretcher. That should be proof enough that there shouldn't be a suspension.

I suspect the player will claim his career is over until Kassian's kicked out of the tournament and then come back the next game.
A whole bunch of just plain wrong people in this thread.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
  #97
endora2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
According to doctor Pierre McGuire(who was the color analyst on Tsn), ...it was a clean hit that missed his head. He was talking as if the Czech player was embellishing the hit. Talking of how the Czech player was touching his helmut, as if he wasn't even hurt....as he was being stretchered off the ice. To paraphrase what Mr. KNowitall McGuire said: it was just the "big-body" presence of Cassian that collided with him.

endora2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
  #98
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
Good clean hockey called a penalty by gutless Euro refs.

That's the long and short of it, folks.
Nothing clean about late hits.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
  #99
Signature
Trademarkedô
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
A whole bunch of just plain wrong people in this thread.
It's already being resolved by the IIHF, whether you feel wrong or right -



No such thing as plain wrong - unless you're Kassian or Senkerik, you'll never know.

edit- can we close the thread yet? Everything that SHOULD be said has been said, and it's only going to get worse.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
  #100
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
A whole bunch of just plain wrong people in this thread.
Good grief. You people need to find another sport to watch already. Not everyone went through with the Bettman-mandated post-lockout castration, you know.

Isn't there a jam session you could be attending right now?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.