HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Thrashers (12-28-10)

Old
12-28-2010, 08:34 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Thrashers (12-28-10)

Plus

+ Sidney Crosby: I can't believe he is playing at this level for this long. Words can't even express how great he's been. We should just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts. I never thought I'd see a 25 game point streak in the salary cap era.

+ Marc-andre Fleury: The only reason we won this game is because Fleury stood on his head long enough for Sid to do his thing. #29 was amazing all game, even when our defense was piss-poor. If Fleury didn't play as well as he did in the first, this game easily could have gotten out of hand.

+ Michalek: Big Z is our best defender. He does anything and everything to clear the defensive zone. I also think he has the best breakout pass on the team. He consistently sends long passes that spring our forwards on breaks.

+ Letestu Line: I still love everything these guys do on the ice. They are great on the forecheck and create so much energy for our top lines to build on. I know I can count on this line to give us a spark when we are getting our ***** kicked early on. The momentum they create gives this team a chance any night.

Honorable Mention - Craig Adams

Minus

- Brooks Orpik: Probably the worst game I've seen Orpik play. He was terrible with teh puck and a liability in the defensive zone. Letang/Orpik is one of our top pairs and they need to be able to shut down opposing forwards each night.

- Penalties: It's going to cost us a playoff series if we don't get our **** together. How many 5-on-3s have we given up recently? It's a joke. Keep your feet moving and you won't take lazy penalties.

- Cooke: He needs Staal back more than anyone on the team. He looks terrible with Geno and is playing stupid hockey. I don't know what Errey was watching. Cooke just hasn't been himself w/o Staal in the line up.

- 60 minutes: Once again this team didn't show up to start the game. They aren't going to ride Fleury and Sid every single game to the Cup. Everyone needs to be on point from the very drop of the puck.

Dishonorable Mention: Mike Rupp sucks.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
FDBluth

I can't help but feel a bit sorry for Malkin in games like these. He's trying to make things happen but his confidence is shot. I almost feel like when Sid is playing this well he feels like he has to match him but can't quite do it.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:37 PM
AK

I disagree on Cooke. Other than the penalties, which have little to with Staal, he's the same quality third liner he's always been. He's an important cog on the best PK unit in the NHL...which has been operating without it's centerpiece all year long.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

- Brooks Orpik: Probably the worst game I've seen Orpik play. He was terrible with teh puck and a liability in the defensive zone. Letang/Orpik is one of our top pairs and they need to be able to shut down opposing forwards each night.

I feel like we have said this alot this year.

Oh and Bill Stewart needs to retire NOW

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
boileroo

+ sid. enough said
+ fleury. ditto
+ matt cooke less his penalties
+ clutch adams. I love seeing him on the board!

- matt cookes penalties. really could have cost us tonight
-slow start again. were it not for fleury we would never have been in this game to begin with (see: ottowa, last game)

great result though, this streak is unbelievable now. which reminds me

+ to NOBODY, even the most die-hard ovechkin fans, having an argument against sid being the best player in the world

go pens!

boileroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:43 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Quote:
- Cooke: He needs Staal back more than anyone on the team. He looks terrible with Geno and is playing stupid hockey. I don't know what Errey was watching. Cooke just hasn't been himself w/o Staal in the line up.
Your minus was the McDonald's player of the game

- PENALTIES, for the third straight game, and the momentum they cause the team to lose.

+ Everything else

Last edited by PensPlz: 12-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
PensPlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
JTG

Letestu impressed me tonight. He's not a big guy, but he's incredibly strong on the puck. He wins puck battles, he gets his nose dirty, and he's strong on his skates. I know a lot don't like it, but he is our 3rd line center of the future, I think. He can do everything Staal can, IMO.

Sid is disgusting. No reason to even type anything about him. Man amongst boys. The season is only about half over, but I think even if he merely plays down to his past greatness, he has the Art Ross and Hart pretty well in hand, and very well could have the Richard too.

I thought Flower played a decent game. Neither great nor poor, but did what he had to do. That's what we need from him.

I'll also give a + to Buff. He's fun to watch. Big man, physical, imposes his will, and has an absolute bomb for a shot. The only player in the league that I think has anything on his shot is Chara.

PK is awesome. Again. That's how you win games when this get down to the nitty gritty

It's one thing to take penalties...it's another to take bad penalties. The guys who take hooking calls...that's absolutely infuriating. Those are penalties you don't need and they must stop. They are lazy penalties.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I can't help but feel a bit sorry for Malkin in games like these. He's trying to make things happen but his confidence is shot. I almost feel like when Sid is playing this well he feels like he has to match him but can't quite do it.
I think his biggest problem that he CAN control is he tries to think 3 steps ahead and he just can't do it. No one not named Gretzky or Lemieux can do that. I think he wants desperately to do something but he's trying way too hard and not simply playing the game balls out, which is when he's at his best. It wouldn't hurt to get him out on the ice more though in my opinion. Also no one wants to admit it but no one he plays with regularly can get the friggin' puck to him or create any space for him.

All that being said, he needs to be a key reason they win games and he's not doing enough of that. I'm just not going to sit here like everyone else and point the finger solely at him when he's the only star in the league that doesn't have any help unless Disco puts him with Crosby every so often.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Dupree13

- Malkin. He continues to march to a different drummer than the rest of the team.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:48 PM
NastyNick

Fleury and the Penalty Kill were stout. Great coverage on Buff all game, except for one instance. We seem to be on the receiving end of multiple 5 on 3s every game lately, so those guys gotta be sharp if we are going to win.

Testtuber with the most-man goal. Loved it

Sid was awesome again. 4 points. He owns the Thrashers.

Asham for punishing Kane. Opponents are really gonna hate playing us.

Goal.against.ski was putrid. Blind pass to no one, looked like my grandmother playing defense. He sucks.

Malkin was pretty bad tonight too. Bad passes, bad penalty to take. What is it going to take to get him to fix that part of his game?

Orpik - stood around alot

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:52 PM
gogasson

Need a new title for this. Crosby/Plus/Minus

Sid, nothing needs to be said.

+ PK, other that the one goal by Byfuglin, great job, and lots of practice.
+ Third line, Smurfs worked hard, and Letestu is a force.
+ Adams, other than on bad giveaway on the PK in the third, had a great game.
+ Fleury, great saves early to keep the team in the game.

- Malkin, forcing it too much. Tired of the blind drop passes at the blue line, especially on the Power Play.
- Power Play, why oh why is our power play so bad???

+/- Cooke, played a great game . . . minus some stupid penalties. I love his energy, but he has to realize that he has a mark on his back.

gogasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:53 PM
penslover871

OT +: US dominating 6-1 right now.

penslover871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I never thought I'd see a 25 game point streak in the salary cap era.
I didn't think Sid was capable of even a 10 gamer with his current linemates, let alone 25.

He's having the kind of season that is not only epic, but also one that defies all logic.

I'm still waiting for a team to employ the old Esa Tikkanen "me and my shadow" defensive strategy. Sooner or later, somebody is going to try it. If a team can slow Sid down somehow, they'll win the game.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Your Adams honorable mention is a free an clear +, Cole, but Rupp being a dishonorable mention is right on.

+ Fleury was bending but didn't break.

- Pens were not reading the play very well to start the game at all.

Cooke even.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
66-29-33

+ We play Isles tomorrow. Crosby is going to destroy them pretty badly.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:57 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
Your minus was the McDonald's player of the game

- PENALTIES, for the third straight game, and the momentum they cause the team to lose.

+ Everything else
I lol'd irl

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:59 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I agree with Cole for the most part, but I don't think Cooke deserves a minus for tonight. He's gotta stay out of the box, but I think he's looked solid all-round thus far this season. He's not producing on the 2nd line mainly because he's just not a 2nd liner. As far as providing energy, great penalty killing, and occassional offense is concerned though, he's done a great job.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Pittsburgh1776

+ Crosby What more can be said. Bylsma made the point that Crosby is playing the right way, and getting points.

- Malkin.

- Malkin. I don't understand. He just plays like he doesn't remember the player he used to be. It isn't linemates, injury, or coaches. He'll play a great game and disappear.

Pittsburgh1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:02 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
+ We play Isles tomorrow. Crosby is going to destroy them pretty badly.
You just jinxed it. Islanders are now going to dismantle Crosby

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:10 PM
cassius

Michalek is starting to really settle in on the blueline.

Having him and Orpik out there is just ridiculous. We're lucky to have one of those guys much less two.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh1776 View Post
- Malkin. I don't understand. He just plays like he doesn't remember the player he used to be. It isn't linemates, injury, or coaches. He'll play a great game and disappear.
His game is fine. He was creating turnovers, getting to dead spots in coverage, playing responsible d, and improving on face-offs. If you'll notice on Sid's first goal Malkin is also in perfect position to score it. I think he's played quite well the last few games.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Paul Martin is a lot more mediocre than most of us expected.

Which is what i've always expected.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:18 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
Paul Martin is a lot more mediocre than most of us expected.

Which is what i've always expected.
That depends on your expectation. It can't be argued with that a) he was a better option than Gonchar and b) the Pens have had nothing but success with him in their top four.

His offense is about eight points lower than I'd ideally like, but he doesn't need to be the offense on this team. He's still a puck mover, and we have Letang and Goligoski to score the points.

He's making 500K more than what's optimal, but he's not an albatross and I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the league could find space for him if he was dangled in front of them for that salary.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:18 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I didn't think Sid was capable of even a 10 gamer with his current linemates, let alone 25.

He's having the kind of season that is not only epic, but also one that defies all logic.

I'm still waiting for a team to employ the old Esa Tikkanen "me and my shadow" defensive strategy. Sooner or later, somebody is going to try it. If a team can slow Sid down somehow, they'll win the game.
Who, in this league, can skate with SIdney Crosby and shadown him? Sid uses the ENTIRE ice and is always in movement. To shadow Crosby one would have to have the better conditionning in the game and a phenomenal hockey sense.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
And as much as it pains me to say this, I can't think of a bigger mediocre non-factor who the Pens (and us fans) just can't seem to let go, than Max Talbot.

Well, since Colby Armstrong.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote