HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Most underrated guy thus far.

Old
12-28-2010, 10:41 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Most underrated guy thus far.

I want to make this thread just to voice my opinion about Feds being the less talked about guy thus far. I am really suprised how solid his minutes have been this year. He brings size, strength, scoring, and is very Defencesively responsible, plus has played very consistent thus far on any line. IMO he has been a big asset to this teams good start and i think the type of player he is, can be very effective in the playoffs. I just wanted to mention this guy because he seems to really fly under the radar but has been very effective and gels well to the gritty game this team likes to play. Im starting to like all the Russian players we have even Frolov who is another guy that should have a strong finish. I am honestly getting excited about the depth of this team and if Gaborik could bring his A game down the stretch we have a good shot at atleast the Conferance Finals.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Eh, I actually think he's kind of overrated. He's a solid plug in, but he's pretty bland. He's not going to really do anything real special when he's out there. He's on pace for 34 pts. That being said he doesn't do much wrong, is solid defensively.

Most underrated I'd go with either Rozi on D, Anisimov up front. Although many are coming around on Rozi, there are still way too many people that either want him benched or traded for a bag of pucks. Still gets ripped/not applauded at the Garden way too much. And Anisimov has really shown that potential he has as a top six forward, but people keep projecting him as a third line center going forwards. Baffles me.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
gravytrain6t

In no way do I want to trade MDZ (although I may have if the Rangers selected Fowler), but I think Gilroy is making it really difficult for this organization (which is a great potential problem for the coaches and G.M.) and I can't wait to see what the 3 pairings are going to look like in say, 2 to 3 years from now.

I know people have been really hard on Gilroy this season but I thought he's played well and that his skating and stick handling keeps improving. Hopefully he keeps it up to make things more interesting. For conversation sake, suppose he does. You know MDZ, Staal, and Girardi are than likely staying put.

Then there's Sauer, who's playing a real solid gritty game. Now throw in McDonagh, McIlrath, Valentenko, Niemi, and Kundratek, (with maybe's to highly doubtful "D" men, like: Baldwin, Bickel, Dowzak, Pashnin, and Klassen) and things should get real interesting.

I think Gilroy has been quietly playing better hockey than some people give him credit for.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:58 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
In no way do I want to trade MDZ (although I may have if the Rangers selected Fowler), but I think Gilroy is making it really difficult for this organization (which is a great potential problem for the coaches and G.M.) and I can't wait to see what the 3 pairings are going to look like in say, 2 to 3 years from now.

I know people have been really hard on Gilroy this season but I thought he's played well and that his skating and stick handling keeps improving. Hopefully he keeps it up to make things more interesting. For conversation sake, suppose he does. You know MDZ, Staal, and Girardi are than likely staying put.

Then there's Sauer, who's playing a real solid gritty game. Now throw in McDonagh, McIlrath, Valentenko, Niemi, and Kundratek, (with maybe's to highly doubtful "D" men, like: Baldwin, Bickel, Dowzak, Pashnin, and Klassen) and things should get real interesting.

I think Gilroy has been quietly playing better hockey than some people give him credit for.
Niemi's in the "highly doubtful" column as far as i've heard.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Provolone*

Marty Biron. He's been really solid as a backup and supplied wins when the King was struggling. I also think Avery has been complained about too much on these boards. He hasn't been scoring, but i think his passing has been great for a 3-4 line player. I think his goal scoring will pick up the 2nd half of the season.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Provolone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post

I'm really liking the D on this team. I don't think we should draft any d men for the next 2 years, imo. Concentrate on forwards, plz.

Old
12-29-2010, 01:06 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Niemi's in the "highly doubtful" column as far as i've heard.
oh okay. thanks. I wish it was possible to catch some Whale games on T.V. so you can actually see (besides stats) how some of these guys are playing.

Old
12-29-2010, 01:08 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Tough one for me. I'll go by position:

Artem Anisimov: Yes, this guy is STILL being underrated. By certain media, fans, and even RANGER fans. Some fans are calling a 3rd line center at BEST, and this makes no sense to me whatsoever. He's on pace for over 40 points in his sophomore season as a 22 year old, and he has the defensive game of a young Saku Koivu. Yet he's still a "3rd line center". He has all the tools to be an top-flight two-way player in this league, and he has shown some flashes of his brilliance with the puck; that goal he scored against the Pens was Jagr-like, and the wrist shot looked like it came of the stick of Nedved. If can can put it all together, he could be a lankier, more talented version of Mikko Koivu. Unbelievable value for a 2nd rounder.

Another thing that makes the "3rd line center" argument fubar, is the fact that he is already the Rangers 2nd line center. And he's doing a fine job of it. He's big, lanky, talented, and has great defensive instincts; he's going to be a huge part of this team for a long time.

Ruslan Fedetenko: For all the talk that Prust/Boyle get, Fedetenko is a key part of that line as well. He's fit in well here, and has been as advertised: a grinding, veteran player who can be defensively responsible, penalty kill, and chip in a few goals. He fits our team's philosophy to a tee. Play hard, all the time.

Michal Rozsival: This guy is one of our top-4 defenseman, yet he is constantly bashed and hated on because of his contract. It has become absolutely unwarranted, considering his play the past year+. He's moving the puck well, giving us a veteran presence from the blue line, something the Rangers don't have much of, and he's a solid defender in general. Is he worth 5 million? No, but he isn't worthy of being scratched like some people have suggested.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:16 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provolone View Post
I'm really liking the D on this team. I don't think we should draft any d men for the next 2 years, imo. Concentrate on forwards, plz.
agreed. Unless the Rangers were in a situation where they did draft MDZ and Fowler. Then maybe you can make a deal down the road. Not saying McIlrath was a poor choice but watching this kid play for the Ducks, he looks pretty good for a 19 year old.

Old
12-29-2010, 01:16 AM
chip chipperson*

rozsival is not underrated. with the exception of staal and girardi our entire d should be playing better, and that includes gilroy, he doesnt get a free pass because of 2 cheap goals last nite
for me the underrated guy is avery. he grinds, plays hard and is what 2nd on the team in assists? not to mention he can turn games around all on his own. look what happened after his fight in pitt, we woke up and scored 4 goals in the 3rd.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Provolone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
rozsival is not underrated. with the exception of staal and girardi our entire d should be playing better, and that includes gilroy, he doesnt get a free pass because of 2 cheap goals last nite
for me the underrated guy is avery. he grinds, plays hard and is what 2nd on the team in assists? not to mention he can turn games around all on his own. look what happened after his fight in pitt, we woke up and scored 4 goals in the 3rd.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:02 AM
morffin

Great idea for a thread:

I think Fedo is the most .... hes a pleasant surprise.

other candidates:
AA
Eminger
Rosi

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Lone Ranger

Brian Boyle

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:05 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provolone View Post
Marty Biron. He's been really solid as a backup and supplied wins when the King was struggling. I also think Avery has been complained about too much on these boards. He hasn't been scoring, but i think his passing has been great for a 3-4 line player. I think his goal scoring will pick up the 2nd half of the season.

This.

6-2 with 2.43 GAA. He's a big part of the reason we are where we are right now.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:38 AM
otto1219

The past couple years, I always thought that Dan Girardi was overvalued by Ranger fans. I always thought he was a solid defenseman who would eventually get traded once some of our younger players developed. I no longer feel this way, as he has shown great improvement season to season and is quietly turning himself into a great all around player. I think he is underrated by fan around the league.

But if i had to choose one person who we watch day in and day out, it would have to be Steve Eminger. I honestly thought we would get nothing out of this guy, but he has been pretty solid thus far.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:49 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

rozi underrated....

um. no. isnt he an offensive dman. thats what i was told. hes got 1 assist in the last 4 games. one. hes non productive. hes got 2 goals all season. two.

sure he plays alot of minutes. thats pretty much what he does. but he doesnt do anything well. nothing. hes not only not underrated, hes overvalued, overpaid and under scutinized.

hes soft as feathers. when he tries to be physical he falls down.

watch him closely, he cant get back and recover because he skates like hes carrying his golfbag. hes a lumbering dufus.

is there a dman in the league who lets forwards beat him on icing plays more than mike

this is a guy who was called out by torts earlier in the year as 'needing to be better'... thats not what should happen with a veteran player making 5 large.

he thinks and reacts slow and is prone to brainfarts. alot. he skates like a sloth and hes anti- offense. he cant be used on the pp point and hes a turnover/bad pass/assist to the other team machine.

underrated is a joke. playing alot of minutes does not make you valuable when the minutes you play are marginal.

his money would be better spent on other players who would bring more to this organization. thats the bottom line. period.

oh and the most underrated guy on this team this year is clearly brandon prust. he may lack talent but hes got a huge heart. he fits right in with dubi and cally. hes gone from extra forward to part of our core.

look in the dictionary under 'torts guy'. brandons picture is there.

dude has done everything for this team. score. pk. fight. hes been a soldier and has lead by example.

hes the one guy who personafies this years team. hes made me a believer.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 12-29-2010 at 07:57 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:32 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Biron, Fedotenko and Eminger IMO. Everyone else gets a fair amount of praise. Even when Eminger gets praise, it's "he's been a pleasant surprise" not "he's been really good for us defensively"

I'll agree to Girardi being underrated as well...he doesn't get nearly as much praise or credit as he deserves. He's really graduated into a top 4 d-man this year, when I think a lot of people including myself believed he was a bottom pairing d-man on a good team going into the off-season.

Last edited by RangerFan10: 12-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
E Nixson