HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Ilya Kovalchuk

Old
12-29-2010, 12:20 AM
JaeTM

vCash: 500
Ilya Kovalchuk

Okay so like most of you out there you I took Kovy with my 2nd(some used 1st) round pick. We all know how terrible the Devils have been playing and how terrible Kovy has been playing with only 8 Goals and 10 Assists to go along with his terrible -25.

My question is what have you guys done with him? It's hard to trade him because of how bad he's performed this year but I don't want to drop him because of how talented he is and the fact that he can go off and we've all seen what he is capable of.

A friend proposed a trade to me: Kovy for Malone. Obviously Malone has more points and is playing on a better team but I just can't bring myself to trade a 2nd round draft pick for a FA pick up like Malone.

What have all you Kovy selecters been doing with him and for those who haven't; what would you do with him?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:55 AM
jarek

You only have one choice if you can't get fair value for him in a trade (and I'd be shocked if you did): keep him and hold out hope.

Although really, shame on you for picking him in the first place.. the Devils were destined for a bad season, I could have told you that last season.

jarek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:14 AM
iFishyHD
Beauner Bennett

vCash: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Okay so like most of you out there you I took Kovy with my 2nd(some used 1st) round pick. We all know how terrible the Devils have been playing and how terrible Kovy has been playing with only 8 Goals and 10 Assists to go along with his terrible -25.

My question is what have you guys done with him? It's hard to trade him because of how bad he's performed this year but I don't want to drop him because of how talented he is and the fact that he can go off and we've all seen what he is capable of.

A friend proposed a trade to me: Kovy for Malone. Obviously Malone has more points and is playing on a better team but I just can't bring myself to trade a 2nd round draft pick for a FA pick up like Malone.

What have all you Kovy selecters been doing with him and for those who haven't; what would you do with him?
it would be amazing if you got a fair trade but I am suprised you picked him that early (even though he is my fav player and on my fav team evgeni malkin would have been a better pick because hes really picked up the pace (which I knew he would)

iFishyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Reim Job

I too was in the same spot - I used high picks on Zajac and Kovalchuk and was stuck in last place in my league. I was able to pull a couple of good trades though:

Zajac for Lecavallier (Vinny was just injured and the guy who had him had a bunch of guys injured and only 1 spot on the IR so had to sell low because he needed bodies and I had my IR spot open so I got lucky)

Here is the other deal -

To me:
Rick Nash
Mike Cammeileri
Antero Nittymaki
David Backes

To them:
Ilya Kovalchuk
Dustin Brown
Mikko Koivu
Pekka Rinne

I gave up more overall points, even with Kovalchuk in the mix - but I was pretty sick of Kovy and needed some more consistency. Since the trades I've gone 3-1 so it's been alright so far but I think I made them too late to save my season. The Devils organization owes me the $20 they cost me in the pool this year!

So my recommendation is try to put together a package where you overpay a bit because at this point, even if Kovalchuk turns it up to his usual level it won't be enough to salvage a season. A 1 for 1 deal won't get you much value but if you try to package some good players in it, you might get some good guys in return too.

Last edited by Reim Job: 12-29-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Reim Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Moobles

It's a sunk cost, and Kovi's value has sunk very low. Malone is a pretty decent return imo.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:59 PM
JaeTM

Well my league has 10 people in it so I ended up picking him like 13th or 14th overall. So it's not like I picked him WAY early.

And I'm also in 2nd place in my league. I have Backstrom(WAS), Semin and Kovy who are all struggling and my best players yet I'm in 2nd somehow.

Luckily I have J. Quick and J. Howard who have basically won me my goalie categories week in and week out.

Last edited by JaeTM: 12-29-2010 at 07:38 PM.
JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

kovy went 11th overall in my league.

The fact he has LW, RW does help his value, and at draft time he was valued pretty highly. Of course, nobody knew he would have THIS bad of a season.

The devils have been working harder the last few games, and a lot of it seems to "bad bounces" and "bad luck," but it's pretty hard to pin losing 6 in a row onto luck, and a LOT of how much kovy is worth depends on whether the devils turn the season around or not.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote