HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby's defensive play

Old
12-29-2010, 04:55 PM
SID87BORG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
Crosby is really, really good in his own end. He's top 5 in the NHL as far as defense goes. He's awesome on the walls in his own end. He's willing to block shots and is physical. He doesn't lay huge hits but he's always rubbing people out. He's almost never out of position in the D zone. Imo the only forwards atm right now better in their own zone then him are Zette,Dats and Kesler. HE obviously kills any other player in offense. He is the best 2 way player in the NHL.
Exactly. I don't know why when people say 2-way player they imediately take out the offensive output of the player?? If the guy is the best offensively and very good defensively that you'd put him top 5 or top 10, how is he not the best 2-way forward? That's Crosby (in case you got confused).

SID87BORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:11 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Fedorov in his prime was better AINEC close than Selanne
No, he really wasn't.

Would I take Fedorov at his prime over Selanne? Sure. But it was close.

In fact, if you made a list of the top 10 seasons combined by both players, it could be argued that 7 or 8 of them belonged to Selanne.

Fedorov's 1994 season would be #1, and that is why I would pick him. But Selanne actually put up more elite-calibre seasons than Fedorov did.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Blues88

When people criticize players, especially forwards for not commiting to defense it always gets exaggerated to the point that they are portrayed as playing roller hockey out there. Every forward is back in their own zone. Sure, there are varying degrees of defense (not everyone can be Datsyuk) but no one, and I repeat, no one just hangs in the neutral zone whilst his team is on D.

In fact, if Crosby is breaking out and catching a stretch pass at the opponents blue line, I would think that would be pretty advantageous, no?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:24 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
No, he really wasn't.

Would I take Fedorov at his prime over Selanne? Sure. But it was close.

In fact, if you made a list of the top 10 seasons combined by both players, it could be argued that 7 or 8 of them belonged to Selanne.

Fedorov's 1994 season would be #1, and that is why I would pick him. But Selanne actually put up more elite-calibre seasons than Fedorov did.
With twice the ice time and zero defensive responsibility. Feds was probably faster too.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
The Doof Warrior

When he's on the ice he's not playing defence, he's in the other team's zone creating offensive chances. When he's in our end he's winning puck battles along the boards and stealing it off players from behind the net and advancing the puck. You haven't seen too much I take it.

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
I don't know why Datsyuk always gets brought up in Crosby is a good defensive forward thread.

He's like 32 years old.

Has been a point per game player in the playoffs exactly twice.

Didn't score a goal in the playoffs until like his 18th playoff game.

Is very very good defensively, elite offensively.

In the downside of his career (forwards generally have their high point producing seasons from 23-28).

Crosby is a machine; with more playoff goals than Datsyuk in 48 less playoff games.

Datysuks offense isn't close to Crosbys. Crosby's defense is really close to Datsyuk.

They really arent comparable players.
He's brought up every time there's a discussion about defensive forwards -- not just Crosby -- because of a certain award he's won several times. And he won that award when some people claim he's not even the Wings best defensive forward (and I'd disagree with that assessment).

That's why he's going to be in every discussion on that topic, Crosby or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
When Datsyuk constantly gets brought up in Crosby threads, it makes me think that Datsyuk is one of the most over-rated players on HFBoards.

That, and the fact that most people think he "better AINEC" than St. Louis.

Thinking Datsyuk is anywhere near Crosby as a player is the same as thinking Fedorov was anywhere near Gretzky or Lemieux as a player.

Thinking Datsyuk is "better AINEC" than St. Louis is like thinking Fedorov was "better AINEC" than Selanne.

This over-rating of Datsyuk has got to stop.
You should hunt up an old quote relayed by Scotty Bowman from Gretzky on Fedorov.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
I'd say he's definitely above the average defensive play of NHL centers.
I think he is too but I think people go overboard with his two way play. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that if he applied himself he wouldn't be one of the best but THE BEST two way player in the NHL. He isn't in the Selke category, he isn't one of the premier defensive centers in the NHL (in lines of Datsyuk, M. Richards, Kesler or even his own teammate J. Staal). He is a solid defensive center, when he applies himself, capable of putting up 100+ points.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote