HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rank Pierre Gauthier through his first year

Old
12-29-2010, 05:44 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
He's done pretty well. His one bungle was giving away Sergei Kostitsyn for nothing.

Otherwise his moves have been astute, low-risk, or both. Moore for a 2nd. Wisniewski for Fischer and change. Picard to a two-way deal. Halpern for almost league minimum. Very nice deals all. Boyd didn't pan out, but he was a low-risk, one-year signing and isn't going to handicap him.

Very nice work on the masonry of the team. His one "impact" trade, if you want to call it that, has been Halak for Eller, and I think he's done pretty well in that, selling high on a goalie coming off a career season to get a big center prospect who oozes ability, and avoiding overpaying Halak. His one impact signing has been Plekanec for 5 million -- which is market value or a bit below.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He's done pretty well. His one bungle was giving away Sergei Kostitsyn for nothing.

Otherwise his moves have been astute, low-risk, or both. Moore for a 2nd. Wisniewski for Fischer and change. Picard to a two-way deal. Halpern for almost league minimum. Very nice deals all. Boyd didn't pan out, but he was a low-risk, one-year signing and isn't going to handicap him.

Very nice work on the masonry of the team. His one "impact" trade, if you want to call it that, has been Halak for Eller, and I think he's done pretty well in that, selling high on a goalie coming off a career season to get a big center prospect who oozes ability, and avoiding overpaying Halak. His one impact signing has been Plekanec for 5 million -- which is market value or a bit below.
This team needed to bundle something to get an impact player, and still needs to. And dump the freeloaders like Kostitsyn.

Sergei will not amount to anything, but might have been attractive as a third throw in.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
We are closing in on a full year that he has been the GM here are his transactions of players in and players out. I will also list what players got drafted with draft picks.

IN:
Aaron Palushaj(prospect)
Alex Auld
Alexandre Picard
Jeff Halpern
Lars Eller
Ian Schultz(prospect)
Dustin Boyd
Karri Ramo
Michael Bournival(prospect)
James Wisniewski
Jarred Tinordi(prospect)
Mark MacMillan(prospect)

OUT:
Oscar Lindberg(prospect)
Matt D'Agostini
Georges Laraque
Dan Ellis
Shawn Belle
Greg Stewart
Dominic Moore
Andre Benoit
Paul Mara
Jaroslav Halak
Sergei Kostitsyn
Cedric Desjardins(prospect)
Ryan O'Byrne
2nd round pick in 2011
5th round pick in 2012
Mark Visentin(prospect)

Clearly an F.

None of the names with prospect beside their name are going to make an impact at the NHL level.

The most important players went in the other direction. unless you consider Hamilton's success in the equation.

The guy inherited a clinging East team, and in less than one year has given away 3 round 2 draft picks a young defenseman and an MVP for nothing. And the team is still a clinging East team.

He'll be in the Sutter situation soon, once it becomes clear he's taken a mess and made it a disaster.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would give him a B+

Moore trade was good, scored some big goals for us and was a great team player

Found a great replacement in Halpern

Problem with the Halak trade is everyone just expected too much from the start, Eller is looking better and better and I'm sure it will turn out to be a good trade

SK Can't believe he found a team that wanted him, we all knew we weren't winning that trade with SK attitude

Last night's trade was very good, I was sure to get Wiz we would have had to include a roster player or prospect with that pick so a pretty good job by PG

Now get us a power forward and top 6 guy please
/thread B+ for PG

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Miller Time

I'd give him a B.

He came into a crappy situation, and the team is still in a less than stellar situation...

but I like the return he got for Halak, and was pleased that he got Plekanec to sign for 5M.

otherwise most of his moves have been very average, a little too much on the "safe" side given the state of the teams roster imo.

This summer will be a big litmus test.

What he does with our Defense will have a huge impact on the team moving forward.
Hamrlik, Gill, and of course Markov, represent ~13M$ in cap space, and we NEED that space to be re-allocated to assets that will give us more value for the $$, not less.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:54 PM
sammy d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Clearly an F.

None of the names with prospect beside their name are going to make an impact at the NHL level.

The most important players went in the other direction. unless you consider Hamilton's success in the equation.

The guy inherited a clinging East team, and in less than one year has given away 3 round 2 draft picks a young defenseman and an MVP for nothing. And the team is still a clinging East team.

He'll be in the Sutter situation soon, once it becomes clear he's taken a mess and made it a disaster.
Who important went in the other direction other than Halak? Tinordi and Eller could have a large role in the future.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
We are closing in on a full year that he has been the GM here are his transactions of players in and players out. I will also list what players got drafted with draft picks.

IN:
Aaron Palushaj(prospect)
Alex Auld
Alexandre Picard
Jeff Halpern
Lars Eller
Ian Schultz(prospect)
Dustin Boyd
Karri Ramo
Michael Bournival(prospect)
James Wisniewski
Jarred Tinordi(prospect)
Mark MacMillan(prospect)

OUT:
Oscar Lindberg(prospect)
Matt D'Agostini
Georges Laraque
Dan Ellis
Shawn Belle
Greg Stewart
Dominic Moore
Andre Benoit
Paul Mara
Jaroslav Halak
Sergei Kostitsyn
Cedric Desjardins(prospect)
Ryan O'Byrne
2nd round pick in 2011
5th round pick in 2012
Mark Visentin(prospect)
If we look at the list of departed players we can see that Halak is the only highly rated player on it. There's no one else who could have an impact. And, as well know, Halak's departure made room for Plekanec and revived Price. Ellis was a UFA who chose not to sign but I would n't consider him a great loss. Of course, we should add Fischer to that list, although we mustn't forget that the Habs received a 2nd for him. Therefore, we shouldn't consider that 2nd in 2011 a loss. If the loss was the 2nd given for Moore, we shouldn't

Looking at the additions, Eller, Halpern, and Auld are on the roster and Wisniewski will be playing tomorrow. We have to thank Gauthier for signing Plekanec. Tinordi may turn out to be regular Dman (an area in which theHabs are in rouble),

I'd say Gauthier has improved the team over what Gainey turned over tohim, although perhaps not enough. Wisniewski is no Markov but he's better than Picard and he fills an immediate need.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Clearly an F.

Did you forget the perhaps ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I'd give him a B.

He came into a crappy situation, and the team is still in a less than stellar situation...

but I like the return he got for Halak, and was pleased that he got Plekanec to sign for 5M.

otherwise most of his moves have been very average, a little too much on the "safe" side given the state of the teams roster imo.

This summer will be a big litmus test.

What he does with our Defense will have a huge impact on the team moving forward.
Hamrlik, Gill, and of course Markov, represent ~13M$ in cap space, and we NEED that space to be re-allocated to assets that will give us more value for the $$, not less.
Me too, but I get there a different way. Without getting into the details unless I have to, can't say he didn't give JM enough options to work with. Hasn't quite assembled a cast that I can give an "A" to, and the team assembled before he took the reins held their own pretty well, so it's B for Gauthier so far. Definitely could have done worse, and lucked out on fewer moves (hindsight clearly favours Halpern so far, dealing Halak hasn't bit us at all [yet? - playoffs?], and I'm expecting Wiz to have a positive impact right away - that alone overshadows any minor deals like S.Kost, etc and maybe even O'Byrne considering Bournival's chapter hasn't been written yet).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
flowerpower13*

Besides Obyrne, I like all his moves.

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:02 PM
flowerpower13*

Quote:
Clearly an F.

For nothing?

flowerpower13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

think I'll wait till is 8th month is over before judging his first year...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I look at his moves, and I see the patern. Sometimes the return isn't as good as hoped, but they all make sense in the big plan. He seems a more apt micro manager than Gainey ever was, and he's doing a fine job. He didn't made any absolutely bonehead move, but on the other hand, we has yet to make a clear and definitive win, the jury still being out for Eller.

B+

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Who important went in the other direction other than Halak? Tinordi and Eller could have a large role in the future.
Just check the username and all you're questions will be answered.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Andy

Quote:
Clearly an F.

I want to clarify something about the Halak deal.

We all agree that one of the two needed to be traded. Now as to the value of Halak, we willl never the true one, but consider this when taking into account how the trade played out.

Kevin Allen who is a respectable insider on the level of MacKenzie and Lebrun reported that Atlanta called for Halak and Gauthier asked for Patrice Cormier. Dudley from Atlanta refused to deal him and never called back because he didn't feel Halak was worth Cormier. So start thinking how much was Halak really worth. There is a difference between actual worth and percieved worth by the fans and the two never coincide...this can be seen with the Wisniewski trade, the Horton trade etc.

I still think that the Halak deal was a decent deal, far from terrible and one which we will not know the answer for another while.

As for Gauthier, I'd give a B/B+. He hasn't made any panic moves and has been rather patient. I like his approach in stock piling on prospects: Bournival, Palushaj, Eller etc. They may not pan out, but he is trying to refill a rather bare cupboard considering that most of our previous prospects have just finished graduating in the last 2-3 years(Grabovski, Halak, Price, Andrei, Sergie, Latendresse, O'byrne, Lapierre, D'agostini etc).

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:36 PM
SherbrookeW

He's done a decent job: Halak for Eller, making room for Plekanec...but the drafting remains terrible, even if it's more bad luck than bad design. By all reports, Tinordi is another in the same dumb Hainsey-Fischer line, reaching for size when what's valuable is skill. Of course, if Markov were healthy, Gauthier would look smarter. Take the best player off of any team, the GM suddenly loses IQ points.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:48 PM
The Right Price

I'm very happy with PG thus far. He was put in a tough spot in the Halak-Price dilemma but he solved it very well IMO. People should remember that developing Eller takes time, like it took for Koivu and Plekanec.

Other nice signings and trades were Halpern and Moore, getting Wiz for below expected market price, and OB for Bournival.

Our line-up is shaping all the time to his vision. He clearly has a gameplan and doesn't trade cluelessly! That said, I do think he has a plan to answer our need for a top 6 in the upcoming months.

I'll give PG a B+, job well done.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
By all reports, Tinordi is another in the same dumb Hainsey-Fischer line, reaching for size when what's valuable is skill.
lol

I'd like to see these reports.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Gally11

A- for having the balls to deal Halak haha, can't say very many other GMs would be able to do that after the run he had.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
I'm very happy with PG thus far. He was put in a tough spot in the Halak-Price dilemma but he solved it very well IMO. People should remember that developing Eller takes time, like it took for Koivu and Plekanec.

Other nice signings and trades were Halpern and Moore, getting Wiz for below expected market price, and OB for Bournival.

Our line-up is shaping all the time to his vision. He clearly has a gameplan and doesn't trade cluelessly! That said, I do think he has a plan to answer our need for a top 6 in the upcoming months.

Koivu didn't need much time to establish himself.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:29 AM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
You know what? so far he doesnt look bad at all but most of him moves were minor. The Eller and Wiz trades aren`t minor though and I beleive Halak gone was the best thing ever. Not only I find him overrated its just that Price can do the job. I like one thing though, he seems to not be afraid to trade. Gainey was kinda on the conservative side besides that huge fa market year. I really like him so far...And I dont care about SK at ALL! He lacks something in his game that I cant explain but I never see him becoming more then a 20-30 pts player in the NHL.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
It is still early but at this point I give him a B-. He has made some great moves and some gutsy ones. I respect him as a GM, and he would be in the A range if it weren't for a few things: I'm not liking Martin very much right now and I hope he gets fired. I hate the way this system he runs affects the team, and it is yet to be seen if PG agrees with me. Also, I am not totally convinced we have gotten better under him, but that is also yet to be seen, perhaps by the end of this year.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:13 AM
TheBuriedHab

I'd give him an A if he Canned Martin. But for now, B+

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:50 AM
neofury*

Thanks for the compilation will use it to answer.

IN:
Aaron Palushaj(prospect) I think he'll be better than D'ags but right now they won the deal.

Alex Auld Non-factor imo, which I think is what they wanted, a goalie where Price would be forced to play.

Alexandre Picard B+ signing, has exceeded expectations, even if our D is weak as a temporary plug it was a solid move.

Jeff Halpern A- signing, has more than exceeded expectations, makes the fact that Moore went to TB easier.

Lars Eller + Ian Schultz(prospect) Right now we lose this trade, in 5 years I say we win it. Right now I'd say it's too soon to judge.

Dustin Boyd Non-factor as we traded a bad attitude for a guy clearly willing to work hard and play. 6 goals in the AHL already. Obviously this was a solid trade considering the reasoning.

Karri Ramo Non-factor - Cedric was close to ready and team didn't want another Halak vs Price scenario that could have happened if Cedric played well.

Michael Bournival(prospect) We lose the trade currently but again it's one of those 5 year things. I think in good time this guy will make the NHL he's a workhorse. For now I can't rate it because it's too soon.

James Wisniewski A+++ Practically the best GM in the league for doing this deal. First of all trades are rare. Second of all we fleeced them, a 2nd pick for a guy whose a solid NHL player... makes you laugh when people went nuts over Moore for a 2nd, this I doubt anyone has complaints. Obviously if Wis sucks for us it'll be a bad trade but on paper it looks like one of the best deals in a very long time.

Jarred Tinordi(prospect) A+ - even though he's supposedly struggling I don't care. I think he was the right choice for the draft position we had. Time will tell though.

Mark MacMillan(prospect) Admit I don't know much about him so I won't comment.

OUT:
Oscar Lindberg(prospect) Again, don't know much about him.

Matt D'Agostini Won't know for a few years but for now St. Louis won the deal.

Georges Laraque Gainey signing he bought out, solid move on Gauthier's part.

Dan Ellis I'm pretty sure he had no hope of signing him, Dan wanted to be a #1 or at least have a chance to be.

Shawn Belle Career AHLer will go the way of Locke probably, I think it was a safe bet to not keep him. Great AHLer though.

Greg Stewart Expected this to burn us and it hasn't. Liked the guy but he just never put it all together.

Dominic Moore Wouldn't have wanted a 4th line role and wouldn't be fair to him or Eller to be switching them back and forth all the time. At least with Halpern he's happy either way, still not ideal for Lars though to be on the 4th line half the games.

Andre Benoit Was a nobody in terms of NHL?

Paul Mara Was injured and rarely saw him play and when he did he wasn't great.

Jaroslav Halak Again can't know for another 5 years.

Sergei Kostitsyn Doubtful that we won this but given his attitude the deal made sense. A+ on getting even someones rights LOL.

Cedric Desjardins(prospect) Could bite us in the ass but our org tries to do what's best for the org and the players and I respect that.

Ryan O'Byrne 5 year scenario but Colo wins for now.

2nd round pick in 2011 Wait and see
5th round pick in 2012 Wait and see
Mark Visentin(prospect) Another prospect I don't know anything about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post

I'm sure it'll be Langenbrunner for some prospects/picks. Especially since NJD is a big time seller. Would not be surprised to see Lou move 4-5 players before deadline and bring up youth to take their places. NJD is getting blown up and will likely get lottery the next season or two. They'll keep a couple key pieces like Kovalchuk and Parise and move on. Yes Kovalchuk is a key piece they just haven't built the team around him yet, once they do he'll start to produce and play well again.

That being said we'll land a guy like Langenbrunner somehow I'm almost positive of that. Iginla would be too much, it's a pipe dream trade. Langenbrunner to me just makes sense and it has for a while. Gomer/Gio played with him in NJ, he's a great all around player and he's a leader as well. He'd fit right in on our roster.

As for defense though I have a gut feeling Gauthier will wait until the off season to sign people and I think Markov won't be back. I have another gut feeling and I think Kaberle will be signed by us. Toronto is going no where he's a UFA and friend of Plekanec so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see us sign him. I doubt Gauthier will make a splash regarding D until July 1st. (Aside from the obvious Wis!)

Last edited by neofury*: 12-30-2010 at 07:59 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I am not entirely surprised that there are optimists that are putting him in the B category and better, but if C is a neutral grade, indicating the team has seen no improvement or deterioration in the past year then this is absolutely the best I could see PG deserving. I am curious about how people continue to over rank the prospects involved in these deals . There are but a handful of players on the entire in-out list that are NHL calibre and most all of them won't ever make an impact to the Montreal roster. On top of that , the best roster players swapped all ended up in other team colours. The jewel of all deals from PG's side, Eller, is struggling to show he even belongs in the NHL.

But at the end of the day the purging of 3 second round draft picks for what will amount to zero impact to the roster is what tells me PG doesn't have the right mindset for being a GM for this team. He should be acquiring picks not spending them on temporary add-ons like Moore and Wisniewski . It's that lack of vision that tells me things are not going in any positive direction. There is no committment to doing anything more then eke into the playoffs and make some spring money. That's not success as much as some believe that anything can happen once a team makes the playoffs.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote