HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TV Hockey viewing exp.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
morffin

vCash: 500
TV Hockey viewing exp.

Hockey is the most exciting sport in the world to watch live...but even a huge fan like me has problems watching the games on TV.
What are some of your pet peeves about the way the games are broadcasts?

Mine
The games are shot too tight...wish we could see the entire zone so we can watch the plays develop like you do when youre at the game.

I have more but I'm interested in how you guys would fix the way hockey games are shown on TV.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Never understood why people couldn't follow the game at home. I think it's easier. I have no problem watching on TV, especially with seeing plays develop. IMO, it's a lot easier to see it at home. Fewer distractions, and the fantastic quality of HD broadcasts.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
broadwayblue

Did you ever see an NHL broadcast on HD Net? That is how hockey should be done. But they had the advantage of shooting only in HD. On a power play for example they would frame practically the entire offensive zone. The puck could move from the top of the circle down to the front of the net and back again without the frame moving at all. Compare that to the current back and forth movements that make you dizzy. The HD Net broadcast wins by a mile. So much more enjoyable to watch. Perhaps in a decade or two the 4:3 broadcasts will be gone for good.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Hockey is the most exciting sport in the world to watch live...but even a huge fan like me has problems watching the games on TV.

Mine
The games are shot too tight...wish we could see the entire zone so we can watch the plays develop like you do when youre at the game.

I have more but I'm interested in how you guys would fix the way hockey games are shown on TV.
Do you have a high definition TV? If not, that's a must... Game is broadcast in 16:9 aspect ratio so you see a lot more of the ice and the HD picture quality makes following the play/puck easy.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Do you have a high definition TV? If not, that's a most... Game is broadcast in 16:9 aspect ratio so you see a lot more of the ice and the HD picture quality makes following the play/puck easy.
I agree. HD is a world of difference. But you still have the limitations when the broadcasts are produced with the lowest common denominator in mind (4:3 SD.)

Old
12-29-2010, 10:59 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Did you ever see an NHL broadcast on HD Net? That is how hockey should be done. But they had the advantage of shooting only in HD. On a power play for example they would frame practically the entire offensive zone. The puck could move from the top of the circle down to the front of the net and back again without the frame moving at all. Compare that to the current back and forth movements that make you dizzy. The HD Net broadcast wins by a mile. So much more enjoyable to watch. Perhaps in a decade or two the 4:3 broadcasts will be gone for good.
thanks for the tip..never seen an HD Net broadcast.... Ill check it out.

The Devils did something like that in a game last year for a PP..... showed the entire PP from the camera that is mounted on the glass above the net....wide shot where you could see the entire zone... felt like I was at the game.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I agree. HD is a world of difference. But you still have the limitations when the broadcasts are produced with the lowest common denominator in mind (4:3 SD.)
Unfortunately I'm on Verizon FiOS now so I'm watching SD broadcasts stretched to fit my TV's screen but I got to watch 3 previous seasons in HD with Cablevision... I miss HD hockey....

Old
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
morffin

Quote:
I have a kick ass huge HD tv...its not the picture quality Im talking about it the way the shots are framed...way too tight....cant see the play develop. How many times have you seen the puck go to the point and you dont know if the d man is pinching in until the camera pans.No idea why they dont show the entire zone in the frame.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
thanks for the tip..never seen an HD Net broadcast.... Ill check it out.
Unfortunately HD Net no longer broadcasts NHL games.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I have a kick ass huge HD tv...its not the picture quality Im talking about it the way the shots are framed...way too tight....cant see the play develop. How many times have you seen the puck go to the point and you dont know if the d man is pinching in until the camera pans.No idea why they dont show the entire zone in the frame.
It's in part because they are using the same camera for both the 16:9 HD broadcast AND the 4:3 SD broadcast. The camera has both aspect ratios marked on the glass. So the cameraman must keep the puck inside the 4:3 frame...and those of us watching in HD just get a little extra to either side. If they zoom out further (which would be great for us) the players would be even smaller on the screen for those watching in SD (which means they most likely have smaller TVs to begin with.)

Old
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Did you ever see an NHL broadcast on HD Net? That is how hockey should be done. But they had the advantage of shooting only in HD. On a power play for example they would frame practically the entire offensive zone. The puck could move from the top of the circle down to the front of the net and back again without the frame moving at all.
I love that perspective, especially when the power play is in the offensive zone for long periods of time. I think a lot of the fans that are constantly screaming "shoot!" at everyone on the power play need to watch it from that perspective. It's not as easy to get a shot through as people think it is.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Drink some alcohol when you watch games... You'll be less picky.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
morffin

Quote:
It's in part because they are using the same camera for both the 16:9 HD broadcast AND the 4:3 SD broadcast. The camera has both aspect ratios marked on the glass. So the cameraman must keep the puck inside the 4:3 frame...and those of us watching in HD just get a little extra to either side. If they zoom out further (which would be great for us) the players would be even smaller on the screen for those watching in SD (which means they most likely have smaller TVs to begin with.)
great insight........thanks.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Drink some alcohol when you watch games... You'll be less picky.
not picky...just think it could be presented better...I have never taken anyone to a game that hasnt been blown away by the exp live... wish that could be the same on tv.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:19 PM
broadwayblue

Not to beat a dead horse even further...but HD Net also had something called "Sights and Sounds" of the game. For about 5 or 10 minutes usually in the middle of the game they would mute the announcers and you would just see the game from various camera angles. They also had a ton of mics on the glass throughout the rink and you would hear the skates on the ice and the rest of the game in 5.1 surround sound. Really a nice way to experience the game. I'll see if I can find a link to an old broadcast.

Quote from Mark Cuban, co-owner of HD Net:

We do a thing called "Sights and Sounds" of the game. We turn off the announcers and immerse the viewer in the surround sound of what happens at the game. Hearing the crowd, hearing a check up against the boards or a shot hitting the pipe--it's really a different experience.

It sure was.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:22 PM
morffin

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse even further...but HD Net also had something called "Sights and Sounds" of the game. For about 5 or 10 minutes usually in the middle of the game they would mute the announcers and you would just see the game from various camera angles. They also had a ton of mics on the glass throughout the rink and you would hear the skates on the ice and the rest of the game in 5.1 surround sound. Really a nice way to experience the game. I'll see if I can find a link to an old broadcast.
that would be great......a couple of years ago the Rangers had a glitch in their broadcast and the announcers went silent for about 5 minutes.... nothing but the ambient sound of the game ....it was heaven.

Old
12-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Mine

I love how hockey is shown on TV, I have the Center Ice package and watch it most every night.

My only pet peeve I can think of at the moment is that sometimes when they show the shootout certain networks will try to get cute and give you a different camera angle than you're used to. Showing a shootout from behind the shooter means the shooter and/or goalie are blocking part of the net and you can't see if the puck goes in or not.

Don't reinvent the wheel, show us the same angle we're used to watching hockey from.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I haven't had a problem since I started watching in 1989 on my 19" Sharp TV that Mom got me for Christmas.

Remember that horrible puck tracking effect that FOX used for the few years they had hockey? God, that was terrible! haha

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I love watching the game on my HDTV.

The only thing I'd change is getting rid of the commentary if I wish and hearing the natural sounds of the arena instead.

Like an audio option.

Don't need any gimmicks like 3D.

HD is amazing.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

The sound. Commentators are good, when they actually call the play, not talk about stupid nonsense and other sports half the broadcast.

They need to have a more realistic crowd noise level, and ambient sound for the little things.

Make us feel like we are there!

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Never understood why people couldn't follow the game at home. I think it's easier. I have no problem watching on TV, especially with seeing plays develop. IMO, it's a lot easier to see it at home. Fewer distractions, and the fantastic quality of HD broadcasts.
Totally agree!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
district9

the fact that they don't show the entire offensive zone is obviously my biggest problem.

the mentioning of the "lazer puck" made me cringe. one of the most obnoxious things about watching hockey back then. i actually had a dream last night that i was watching hockey and the lazer puck came back and i was very upset.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
the fact that they don't show the entire offensive zone is obviously my biggest problem.

the mentioning of the "lazer puck" made me cringe. one of the most obnoxious things about watching hockey back then. i actually had a dream last night that i was watching hockey and the lazer puck came back and i was very upset.
FoxTrax (colloquially also called the glow puck, smart puck, laser puck, Fox Puck, or super puck.) What a joke that was.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:

Quote from Mark Cuban, co-owner of HD Net:

We do a thing called "Sights and Sounds" of the game. We turn off the announcers and immerse the viewer in the surround sound of what happens at the game. Hearing the crowd, hearing a check up against the boards or a shot hitting the pipe--it's really a different experience.

It sure was.

This is exactly what happened on Verses here in Philly area for Canadian game this week. For whatever reason the announcers were muted yet you could hear all of the game, crowd and referee calls. It was great not having to hear all the jabber and analysis. Surround sound and HD feed was like being at the game. I loved it!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
for msg broadcasts, atleast for home games, if up change to spanish on the sap menu you can get the natural arena sounds and no commentary

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote