HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Management/Front Office/Coaching Wish List

Old
12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
BCS

vCash: 500
Bob Gainey? Thirteen playoff berths, three Cup appearances and a championship in 16 seasons as an NHL GM.

I don't know if he'd even want another GM job, though, after resigning in Montreal less than a year ago. Gainey said back then that his heart wasn't in it for the long haul, but minds change. He might be on Pegula's list if Pegs is looking for an established hockey guy to helm the front office.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

there are a lot of good ideas here...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Jeremy2020

I want Ted Nolan as GM and Wayne Gretzky as coach. Messier would be great as the captain of the icegirls squad.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:32 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I really like the idea of Gainey. He re-shaped the identity of Montreal, got blasted for it, and they turned out to be a pretty good team. The Canadiens draft track record under him kind of scares me though, it seems like a lot of their high end picks end up not doing very much.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:15 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I want people who care about winning, and winning at all cost...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:32 AM
wyldthing89

I still give Ruff a chance, but i want action on the 2nd floor, like the situation we are right now, when we need help, find help asap, not the next summer !!!

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Since we're throwing around the names we threw around the last time there was an ownership change ( ), I was big on Jarmo Kekalainen back then.
I don't know if my affinity for Jarmo is more from my head or my Green & Gold heart.......

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:54 AM
wyldthing89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I really like the idea of Gainey. He re-shaped the identity of Montreal, got blasted for it, and they turned out to be a pretty good team. The Canadiens draft track record under him kind of scares me though, it seems like a lot of their high end picks end up not doing very much.
Please not Bob Gainey !!! We still have to take his pulse to see if he is alive and made the worst trade of recent years by getting the 8 millions Gomez from Rangers.

Since his daughter was declare died after falling from a boat in the sea, he wasn't able to run a hockey team anymore, very understandable but the fact is that he had to left Habs for that.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:27 AM
punkr0x

Any chance Dineen would move up as assistant coach, or would we need to make him head coach? I don't really know the hierarchy of AHL head vs. NHL assistant, nor how good Ruff and Dineen's relationship is. But I feel the biggest thing we need, more than a new head coach or GM, is a really good assistant.

As far as keeping his job it's totally up to Darcy. If he meets with Pegulla and says, "I wish I had a bigger scouting staff," "I think we need to move Tim Connolly ASAP," "We need to spend the money on a better backup goalie," great, keep him and give him a shot at really running this team the way he wants. If he says, "I think we're doing pretty good and we should stay the course," can him.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Any chance Dineen would move up as assistant coach, or would we need to make him head coach? I don't really know the hierarchy of AHL head vs. NHL assistant, nor how good Ruff and Dineen's relationship is. But I feel the biggest thing we need, more than a new head coach or GM, is a really good assistant.
This. I'd rather see us change the assistant coaches before we get rid of Ruff. I don't think Ruff is as big of a problem with this team as some people may think. I could be wrong, but everyone else around the league (reporters, players, other coaches, etc) are always praising Ruff for how great of a coach he is, and how he can do so much with so little talent wise. All of that praise has to have some merit. I say get rid of Regier, get rid of our assistant coaches, bring up Dineen and find a new associate coach, and keep Ruff around for 1 more season. If things still don't work out, don't re-sign Ruff and let Dineen step up and be head coach.

As for a new GM, I have no clue. I don't like GMs like Gainey though. As much as I hate the term "small market team", the fact is we ARE one of the less popular teams in the NHL, and one of the least popular destinations for free agents, so having the kind of GM who is constantly looking for the next big UFA instead of building from within wouldn't work here. Regier hasn't done that great of a job since being in Buffalo, but one thing he does right is build from within (not necessarily meaning 'only use draft picks'). I consider trading for players like Briere and Drury, then watching them develop into true stars as "building from within" as well. They may not have been drafted by us, or started their careers with our team, but their game certainly found a new level in Buffalo.

Basically I think we need a GM who has a similar philosophy to Regier, but just does his job better. If we can strike gold on a trade like Regier did with either of the Briere or Drury trades, with an already young and promising core of Ennis, Myers, Kassian, Adam, etc... We'd be a contender (as long as we don't **** up the contracts again). Our core of prospects now probably isn't as deep as it was in 05/06, but the top end talent is better IMO.

Last edited by Ron Barr: 12-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Ruff and Regier are a team... blaming Regier, and not Ruff... is totally flawed. Ruff has just as much input on the roster as Regier.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:35 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
I want Ted Nolan as GM and Wayne Gretzky as coach. Messier would be great as the captain of the icegirls squad.
Nolan's running Rochester, not likely back to BUF & trying to save that franchise from folding IF THEY'RE HAVING ISSUES w/ Buffalo in the past and now they're blaming Florida, pass on Nolan for any position involving the Sabres

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
I hope your kidding because Gretzky's a horrible coach.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
I want what you don't want, then.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:49 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Small percentage?

I'd bet the majority of fans that have an opinion one way or the other want Regier out.
I doubt it. I for one like the stability of the coach/gm that we have had for over 10 years. I do not see bad coaching, or bad gm'ing all these years. I see 2 series cup contending teams being built by these two in the midst of the Rigas/bankrupcy fiasco, and the what I will call the Quinn era.

If we knew for sure that....let's just look at the captain fiasco....was Darcy's fault, and not Quinns or TG's, then I would say fire Darcy immediately. If it was his fault, I would fire him because of his elitist attitude towards the players, that they WILL wait on me, and when I want to negotiate a contract.

BUT.....

I do not feel that Darcy has had a free hand in dealing with the team/contracts. He's been the architect of fielding a competitive team for 14 years, quite impressive considering all the distractions.

I would love to give Darcy/Ruff a couple years (2) of an owner that wants to win. One that understands hockey, as we have been led to believe with Pegula. As the owner, I would tell Darcy that a couple of the core has to go because they're soft.

I don't want to see the two fired...I don't see where that will solve anything. We all have too many questions over these last 5 years of who really is pulling the strings.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
We all have too many questions over these last 5 years of who really is pulling the strings.
Darcy had a job to do, and he didn't do it - not well enough.

Who may or may not have been pulling the strings behind the scenes is unknowable, and really shouldn't factor into the equation. He didn't do his job well enough, and it's time for someone new.

And it's not just letting the captains walk - thought that was grounds enough to fire him.

Just from that point on...

It was then taking the Vanek offersheet instead of admitting we were ****ed and using the 4 first rounders and $10 million to bring in some help at center.

Then overpaying Hecht, Poms, and Gaustad.

Blowing 2nd round picks on Torres and Moore.

Resigning Tim ****ing Connolly. Again - his dealings with Connolly are, all by themselves, enough for Darcy to be gone.

Not bringing in a competent backup for Miller.

Letting Hank and Lyds walk for nothing, and not bringing in an adequate replacement.

Center depth? Let's bring in Neidermayer.

How about that abomination of a powerplay? Who coaches that, who's job is it to hire and fire coaches?

The list goes on and on, and this is just since July 2007.

To say that he's below average is kind. To call him bumbling, risk-averse, and incompetent is not much of a stretch.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Quote:

Who may or may not have been pulling the strings behind the scenes is unknowable, and really shouldn't factor into the equation. He didn't do his job well enough, and it's time for someone new.

And it's not just letting the captains walk - thought that was grounds enough to fire him.

It was then taking the Vanek offersheet instead of admitting we were ****ed and using the 4 first rounders and $10 million to bring in some help at center.

Resigning Tim ****ing Connolly. Again - his dealings with Connolly are, all by themselves, enough for Darcy to be gone.

Letting Hank and Lyds walk for nothing, and not bringing in an adequate replacement.

How about that abomination of a powerplay? Who coaches that, who's job is it to hire and fire coaches?

To say that he's below average is kind. To call him bumbling, risk-averse, and incompetent is not much of a stretch.
I also agree its time for a change. But to just name all bad things he did and not name anything good is not fair.

Letting Briere go was bad. But he matched the offer Drury got from NY and Drury decided to go to the team he grew up idolizing. Why is there no mention that Darcy was the guy that made the great trades to get Briere and Drury. All in all I'm glad were not paying that contract to Drury.

Hindsight is great about Vanek. I dont know how you can actually think to yourself it would have been a great idea to let our then 2nd year star winger coming off of a 43 goal season walk for draft picks.( which noone knows what slot they would be or who we would get) After our two captains just left. You would have to be on crack to let him leave at that moment. Buffalo the city would have been burnt to the ground had he let him leave for picks.

You want to blame someone about the backup situation, Miller should take some of the blame as well. I guarantee Ryan had a lot of input about Lalame coming back for another season.

You talk about letting Tallinder and Lydman leave and not bringing in adequate replacements? I dont know about you but I have been quite impressed with Leopold this year. He has been playing a ******** of minutes and leading our D in points by a large margin. Also Hank has been looking pretty good with that 4 pts and -24 he is rocking in NJ.

Dont get me wrong , I like both him and Toni a lot. But they werent perfect. And for me the emergence of Reg this season and the play of Leopold has been as good or better for this team then the play of Toni and Hank.

Connolly I agree has been bad move after bad move. Get him the hell out of here.

Neidermeyer at the time seemed like a good depth pickup. I think pretty much most of us were happy with that pickup.

Overpaying Pominville eh ? Seriously oh wise one, please look into your crystal ball and tell us the future. The guy played two full seasons before given that deal. He was the teams 1st line Rw'er and had 68 pts in his first full year and then came back with a 80 pt season the next one. What should he have been given coming off a 80 pt season? One where he was one the the top guys in the league for even strength goals. As much as Pominville has been ragged on here. In his 4 full seasons on the team he has never scored less then 20 goals or less then 60 pts. While also being one of the best defensively responsible players on the team.

Gaustad getting the contract he did was for leadership and to keep his best buddy Miller happy. This was also done before Miller got locked in long term.

Hecht is overpaid. I agree with you. Is he overpaid by so much you should fire your GM over ? Not even close.

Why no mention of accomplishments like drafting our Vezina caliber ,cornerstone of our franchise goalie Ryan Miller in the 5th round?

Or trading up to pick our Calder winning defensmen Myers, when most thought he was crazy for wasting a pick to grab him ?

I'm fine with listing our GM's faults because there has been quite a few. But to pretend like he hasn't done anything of value is ludicrous

Last edited by CelticSabre: 12-31-2010 at 08:42 AM.
CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just to point out, Bowman has coached highly talented rosters to the Finals on any number of occasions, but he has never built one as a GM -- Buffalo was the only place he had that much authority and he took them from Cup contender to worst in the league.

12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just to point out, Bowman has coached highly talented rosters to the Finals on any number of occasions, but he has never built one as a GM -- Buffalo was the only place he had that much authority and he took them from Cup contender to worst in the league.
He was director of player personnel in Pittsburgh.( Before he became coach ) And then had both jobs.

He brought in Mullen,Barrasso, and Murphy....

Last edited by Tra La La: 12-31-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
He was director of player personnel in Pittsburgh.( Before he became coach ) And then had both jobs.

He brought in Mullen,Barrasso, and Murphy....
Patrick was the shot caller in Pittsburgh. Bowman, much like with Detroit after stepping away from the bench and currently with the Hawks, functioned in an advisory capacity. As the man with full control, he failed.

He wasn't with the Pens when Barrasso was acquired and it's been widely discussed how Mullen was Patrick's call. Scotty was a support guy, not the decision maker.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:55 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Patrick was the shot caller in Pittsburgh. Bowman, much like with Detroit after stepping away from the bench and currently with the Hawks, functioned in an advisory capacity. As the man with full control, he failed.

He wasn't with the Pens when Barrasso was acquired and it's been widely discussed how Mullen was Patrick's call. Scotty was a support guy, not the decision maker.
I wouldn't mind Scotty as some sort of special assistant to Pegula while he gets his feet wet.

But, I wouldn't want him as the GM or in any role that has him running the day to day hockey ops.

I think Bowman or Gretzky would be good in a role like that.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Cuse44

Quote:

Holy hindsight. The Vanek offer match was probably viewed as mandatory after Briere and Drury left. I'm sure Darcy had input (perhaps Quinn) on if that contract should be matched. People were lining up to storm the HSBC offices after the Drury/Briere departures and the possibility of Vanek leaving would have put the fans over the edge.

We could take any ex GM or current GM and critique their moves or non moves all day and find issues. I found it odd that when Darcy and Lindy were announced to come out for the pregame Sabres HOF presentations that barely anyone booed them. I would think that if the majority of Sabres fans wanted them replaced, then the boo birds would have been louder.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't know if my affinity for Jarmo is more from my head or my Green & Gold heart.......
I don't know nearly as much about this side of things as many here - but he would be my pick if we are choosing someone out of left field.

Maybe I'm judging him more on his scouting but seems a very intelligent guy who knows his stuff.

I think he is GM for Jokerit in the Finnish league last I heard. Not even sure if he would want an NHL job - let alone if the Sabres would consider him.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Jarmo Kekalainen is still the Blues Ass't. GM and Director of Amateur Scouting. He left IFK Helsinki while still working for the Sens prior to going to St. Louis. He hasn't had nearly the sort of late-round success with the Blues as he did with the Sens.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Jarmo Kekalainen is still the Blues Ass't. GM and Director of Amateur Scouting. He left IFK Helsinki while still working for the Sens prior to going to St. Louis. He hasn't had nearly the sort of late-round success with the Blues as he did with the Sens.
I could swear during the last draft that they said this was his last and he was going to be GM for Jokerit..?

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote