HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

B. Schenn to the Leafs (at some point)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
mccaber16

vCash: 500
B. Schenn to the Leafs (at some point)

I know this season, or even this off-season it is extremely unlikely that Toronto has the assets to satisfy LA's need, but under which circumstances and at which point in time could you see Brayden joining Luke in TO.

I think it is widely agreeable that up to this deadline there is zero chance of any stars aligning that would place Brayden in Toronto. That leaves during the draft or offseason as the next possible option.

Let's first take a look at LA's needs at this point in time. During this off-season the following LA forwards will be hitting FA:

Handzus C 4M
Williams W 3.5M
Sturm W 3.5M

Now, I admit I don't have a lot of knowledge as to how these players are coveted by LA but my assumption is that I see all of these players hitting the market. You can correct me if I am wrong.

Next out of the forwards the have Richardson, Simmonds and Lewis to be resigned at RFA.

Before consideration of UFA signings, LA's Forward group will look like this going into this off-season:

Smyth Kopitar Brown
Clifford Stoll Simmonds
Schenn Richardson
Parse Lewis Westgarth

I am a little iffy on the exact positioning of some of the players, particularly where Parse, Richardson and Westgarth are slotted but this is my general understanding.

It is fairly clear that LA would be happy with their Centre position if Schenn can come in next season and take a 2/3 line C role. Best case scenario with Schenn at 2nd and Stoll remaining the checking 3 like C.

As for the wings, personally, I think there is a week set of wingers here. Beyond arguably an overrated brown, who I believe is best suited as a secondary forward role and an aging Ryan Smyth, there isn't a lot that jumps out at you.

I don't know if LA fans are happy with Clifford playing on a scoring line, let alone above the 4th line. Simmonds seams to be a good fit on LA and would be fine on a second line role with upside still there.

With all of this in mind, it's clear that LA needs to address bringing in some wingers going forward.

Moving on to D, it looks very solid going forward. With JJ, Doughty, Scuderi, Mitchell, and Greene as the main pieces only depth at D is needed going forward.

Doughty and JJ need to be resigned this summer and my guess as to value (can be argued) would have Doughty at a 5M~ value over 4 or so years and JJ at slightly less.
Let's say combined, these players will fetch 9.5~ in space. Add that to next year's committed cap hit of 35M~ and we stand at 44.5M~ committed.

I assume the combo of Richardson, Simmonds and Lewis will not command too much so I'll say 5M~ generously spread across those 3 players, bringing the cap hit to 49.5M. At goal there is obviously no concerns with Quick and Bernier going forward, which leaves LA with roughly 10M~ in cap space to go after forward help, which is quite a bit.

There isn't a lot of talent in this year's UFA market outside of Semin and Richards. Maybe players like Ryder, Tanguay, Cole, Jokinen, Hejduk, Gagne could be had for LA and let's assume for sake of argument that LA is able to sign one of these players. Adding that player into LA's forward group, do you think LA still needs to acquire forward help?

Would LA be interested in going after a Versteeg, Kulemin, or MacArthur from the Leafs this offseason that includes Brayden coming back? I, personally don't see it happening.

Can we agree it is extremely unlikely Brayden is acquired by TO this offseason? So then when would the possibility arise?

What if Brayden struggles to crack LA's lineup next season and LA is now in need of Centre help. Do they go after Grabovski hard enough to move Schenn? I still don't see it.

I think the only way for Brayden to find his way onto the Leafs roster is if he struggles next season and into the following season at which point the leafs would still have to overpay to get him.

Any thoughts?

Old
12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

vCash: 50
3rd Schenn to T.O thread on the main board. Maybe more. tl;dr

Old
12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Leafssss

A package around our 2012 First + Prospect for Schenn + Stoll/Dump?

Old
12-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

keep dreaming.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Carl Gunnarsson

Old
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
bobbyflex

Jesus H. stop with the B. Schenn threads to T.O. We have Kadri who greatly outplayed Schenn last year at the world juniors. If Kadri was there now, he would be tearing it up as well.

Kadri is much more skilled while Schenn is tougher/grittier. I think Kadri will be the better player 5 years from now.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Yog S'loth

Every single "B. Schenn to the Leafs" should just be insta-locked.

I'm not reading the long-winded bag of gas above, but even without doing so, I can tell:

You haven't thought it out more thoroughly than anyone else.

You haven't come up with anything original.

You haven't found a way to make a trade that doesn't pawn off leafs garbage onto the Kings.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Jesus H. stop with the B. Schenn threads to T.O. We have Kadri who greatly outplayed Schenn last year at the world juniors. If Kadri was there now, he would be tearing it up as well.

Kadri is much more skilled while Schenn is tougher/grittier. I think Kadri will be the better player 5 years from now.
Kadri is a poor man's Ribeiro.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
mccaber16

Quote:

This has nothing to do with the WJ and Kadri's struggles. I'd just love to see the Schenn brothers both on the leafs. I don't care if Brayden is a lifer 4th line C.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:51 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
Every single "B. Schenn to the Leafs" should just be insta-locked.

I'm not reading the long-winded bag of gas above, but even without doing so, I can tell:

You haven't thought it out more thoroughly than anyone else.

You haven't come up with anything original.

You haven't found a way to make a trade that doesn't pawn off leafs garbage onto the Kings.
My conclusion ends with a very slim possibility. Maybe don't even post if you don't read. Sort of makesa little sense don't you think?

Old
12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

Kadri as a 19 year old. 6gp 8p. Schenn as a 19 year old 3gp 12 pts.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:02 PM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrageous Leafs Fan View Post
A package around our 2012 First + Prospect for Schenn + Stoll/Dump?
because trading your first round picks have worked out so well thus far? or is toronto learning to live without them?

Old
12-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:

I would take Schenn over Kadri. Kadri is probably going to be a better point producer than Schenn, but Schenn also brings size, grit, and a physical presence that Kadri doesn't bring. I don't think Kadri will end up outscoring Schenn by enough of a margin to make up for the other elements of the game that Schenn can bring.

If they had won 1 less game, they would have drafted ahead of the Coyotes and Kings (Leafs had 81 pts, Coyotes and Kings had 79, but with 1 less win, the Leafs would have picked #5).

Old
12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaber16 View Post
Maybe don't even post ...
Pot meet Kettle

Not our fault the Leafs got the wrong Schenn but seriously, just STOP with the Brayden to the Leafs Trade Proposals ... it's NOT HAPPENING NOW or EVER !
Why are leafs fans SO obsessive over this ... I mean reading any leafs thread or Canadian post in the WJr'sC thread, B.Schenn sucks anyways, so why do you guys post threads trying to trade for him about 3 times a week ? edit: oops, my bad there's 3 on page 1 here in just 1 or 2 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Kadri as a 19 year old. 6gp 8pts. Schenn as a 19 year old 3gp 12 pts.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... you'll only encourage them to keep making these trade proposals

Last edited by Puck U: 12-30-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

The leafs have more than enough peices to get this done. Studs like McKegg, Blacker, Ondaatje, Blutarsky, Smith, Williams, Gunnarsson, Wilsonson, Niedermayens, etc.

I could see happening as soon as this year at the draft.

Imagine the 2012 Leafs lining up:
Schrenn - Kadri- Stajan
Grabovski - Mitchell - Ponikarovsky

Old
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
shogun99

To Toronto:
Schenn

To LA:
Schenn

Old
12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
To Toronto:
Schenn

To LA:
Schenn

No thanks.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Give the OP credit, it's more than just the usual Schenn for various parts. He at least put forward a long rationale for it...

That said, won't happen.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

To Toronto:
NOTHING and LIKE IT

To LA:
We'll stick w/ what we got THANKS !

Old
12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

LA has a good young skilled team that isn't far from challenging for a cup.

Hickey, Doughty, and B. Schenn should convince Luke to play in LA and then the constant B.Schenn to T.O. threads can finally end.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Every time one of these Brayden Schenn to Toronto threads pops up, I picture Kings fans like this:

"You never get thees! You never get thees! La la la la la!"

Old
12-30-2010, 06:10 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Holy ****, can't believe this was posted after the last debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No thanks.
Yes, no thanks from the Leafs. Why the hell would we trade a solid, proven young d-man in Luke for a guy who's done nothing in the NHL?

Old
12-30-2010, 06:14 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaber16 View Post
This has nothing to do with the WJ and Kadri's struggles. I'd just love to see the Schenn brothers both on the leafs. I don't care if Brayden is a lifer 4th line C.
clearly it has something to do with the WJC as there have been about five B.Schenn to T.O. proposals in the last few days

Old
12-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunbaba View Post
Every time one of these Brayden Schenn to Toronto threads pops up, I picture Kings fans like this:

"You never get thees! You never get thees! La la la la la!"

I lol'd.... really hard.

Old
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Kadri is a poor man's Ribeiro.
Most say he will project to be like Ribeiro, not sure how hes already a "poor man's"

Closed Thread