HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary Rebuild

Old
12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
noBSleafsFAN

vCash: 500
Calgary Rebuild

CALGARY: Wayne Simmonds
Colten Teubert
Oscar Moller
Conditional Pick (1st or 2nd depending on playoff finish)

LA: Jarome Iginla

This is if LA makes the playoffs, not if they are 12th place.

-----------------------------------------------
CALGARY: Karl Alzner
Cody Eakin
1st round pick

WASHINGTON: Mikka Kiprusoff
Corey Sarich
----------------------------------------------

CALGARY: 5th round pick

DALLAS: Craig Conroy

CALGARY: Gregg Scott

TORONTO: Ales Kotalik

Calgary lines:

Hagman- Jokinen- Tanguay
Bourque- Stajan- Backlund
Glencross-Langkow- Moss
Kostopolous- Morrison- Jackman

Bouwmeester- Regehr
Giordano- Staios
Babchuck- Pardy

Karlsonn
Irving

All these trades would have to be approved by the players because of NTC.

You guys can add Simmonds, Teubert, Moller, Alzner, Eakin, and Scott where you want.

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:48 AM
debil

LOL.

When were talking about Iginla, were talking about schenn or something like that.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:50 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I know we need offense but WHY would Toronto do that? that doesn't help toronto much at all

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:51 AM
noBSleafsFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
LOL.

When were talking about Iginla, were talking about schenn or something like that.
I know, but I heard LA does not want to trade Schenn.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
noBSleafsFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I know we need offense but WHY would Toronto do that? that doesn't help toronto much at all
Kotalik will score more goals than Scott will, even though Kotalik still sucks.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
bral
Go Kings!

No thanks, go find another team with the prospects, cap space and a GM dumb enough to rebuild your team for you.

Look Iggy is a great player and all, but with his age and cap hit I wouldn't expect a great package in return and definately not from LA with Lombardi at the helm. Calgary has got to do it the hard way, all your players are going to be traded for 2nd and 3rd's with the occasional 1st. Draft right be patient and grow. Don't do what Burke is doing and don't expect to get equal value in young assets for your fading stars, expect something in the middle and the frustration will be bearable.

Last edited by bral: 12-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Jeff Finger 4

who the hell is greg scott? and kotalik is overpaid, but i think it would be a good trade, we shure as hel need goals

Jeff Finger 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:40 AM
noBSleafsFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Finger 4 View Post
who the hell is greg scott? and kotalik is overpaid, but i think it would be a good trade, we shure as hel need goals
Greg Scott:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=83932

Old
12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Finger 4 View Post

I'm hardly a LeafFan but having to take on Kotalik's salary *without* getting at least a 2nd round pick from the Flames (not sure if they still own their pick) would be a *terrible* trade for them. And I say this without knowing anything about Scott. Kotalik is terrible.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 12-29-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:56 AM
zeus3007*

If Calgary is going to start a rebuild, I doubt Iginla would be the first one moved. Look for guys like Jokinen, Stajan, Sarich, Regehr, and Bourque to be in the first wave. Kipper, Iggy and Giordano would only be moved for very significant pieces.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If Calgary is going to start a rebuild, I doubt Iginla would be the first one moved. Look for guys like Jokinen, Stajan, Sarich, Regehr, and Bourque to be in the first wave. Kipper, Iggy and Giordano would only be moved for very significant pieces.
I would not mind Bourque coming to MTL i think it would be a good fit.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
blankall

Quote:
Moving Bourque and Giordano would be the exact opposite of what you would want to do in a rebuild. Both getting better and better and both signed to solid value contracts.

I also don't see Iginla being moved unless someone with first line potential is comming back. The Flames do not need more depth players like Simmonds, and Iginla brings too much money to the organization to move him for anything less than first line potential.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Moving Bourque and Giordano would be the exact opposite of what you would want to do in a rebuild. Both getting better and better and both signed to solid value contracts.

I also don't see Iginla being moved unless someone with first line potential is comming back. The Flames do not need more depth players like Simmonds, and Iginla brings too much money to the organization to move him for anything less than first line potential.
I agree on Giordano, which is why I said "very significant pieces". Bourque I disagree with. I love the way he plays, but he is injured so often that I think the Lames should move him, if the price is right, meaning not a dump for prospects, but in a package for something they can actually build around in the future.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
blankall

Quote:
I agree on Giordano, which is why I said "very significant pieces". Bourque I disagree with. I love the way he plays, but he is injured so often that I think the Lames should move him, if the price is right, meaning not a dump for prospects, but in a package for something they can actually build around in the future.
Bourque played 73 game last season and has played 35 so far this season. Bourque is a 60ish point player who is capable of generating his own offence and he is just at the beginning of his peak years. He is signed for the entirety of those peak years.

Basically he is the perfect second line player. He can run a second line on his own and jump up to the first if necessary. Unless Bourque is moved as part of a package for a bonafide first line player, there is no reason whatsoever to move him. Basically, the only reason to move Bourque would be for a clear upgrade on offence. If the offer involves late 1st, 2nd rounders, or mid-level prospects, the Flames are better off keeping him.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Ashasx

There is absolutely no reason to move Iginla unless VALUABLE prospects/picks are on the way back. Good luck telling the fans that you've traded the best player in franchise history for future 3rd liners and a late pick. If that was the case, the organization would be better off holding on to him and selling some tickets.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I would not mind Bourque coming to MTL i think it would be a good fit.
Your opinion of him will quickly reverse after watching him refuse to backcheck on a GWG.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Noeller

Flames fans gotta understand that their idea of Iginla's value is drastically inflated due to local media. The rest of the league doesn't put NEARLY as much stock in him, especially at his age and cap hit. You're gonna be lucky to get picks back, if that. Agreed that it's probably better to just hang on to the guy, 'cause he's worth a lot more to Calgary than to anyone else in the league.

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Reign Nateo

- 1st deal is a steep price for LA to pay. Iginla's contract lowers his value a bit. A couple solid prospects and a pick should do it. But probably not in the Flames best interest to do it unless they're getting a serious return.

- Care to explain how Washington takes on 9.4 million worth of cap space while shedding only Alzner's contract? Not going to happen. Washington has 3 young goalies and have stated repeatedly they aren't in the market for an upgrade. They don't have the capspace to make a deal like that. Sarich is a tough contract dump as well, 3.6 this year and next is pretty unsightly.

- Why the hell would anyone give a pick for Craig Conroy? Even a 5th? He is done. Dallas also has very good centre depth.

- I can't see anyone being interested in that Kotalik contract. Flames literally have to add a pick to move him at this point. Just a terrible contract. That was probably Sutter's worst move. Could have just kept Prust and hit the off-season with some real capspace.

Basically with the contracts a lot of Flames vets have, especially considering most of them have NTCs, it's going to be a long re-build. There is a lot of money invested in average players for the next couple years. Those are hard contracts to move for any value. Looks like they'll battle themselves out of the lottery this year. Trading Iginla would be a very tough pill to swallow for Flames fans. If it didn't work out, heads would roll. They would have to make sure to get a great return. Problem is there are not a lot of teams out there that can take on that contract. LA may be dealing with themselves considering they have the capspace and the youngsters. I don't see a quick turnaround for the Flames.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
john skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
- Why the hell would anyone give a pick for Craig Conroy? Even a 5th? He is done. Dallas also has very good centre depth.
This. Maybe upgrade both assets and we can talk. Dallas could use Moss maybe. Moss for a 4th?

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noBSleafsFAN View Post

CALGARY: 5th round pick

DALLAS: Craig Conroy
I like Conroy's personality, but not a chance I'd do this. Dallas' 5th round pick has been gold for the last couple years.

2005 5th - Tom Wandell
2007 5th - Jamie Benn
2008 5th - Philip Larsen
2009 5th - Tomas Vincour (Playing in the AHL and already of Glennie in the development process.)
2010 5th - John Klingberg (Unexpectedly made the WJC and looks like another version of Philip Larsen.)

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:23 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Not terrible but not a great return for Calgary.

A rebuilding Calgary will structure its new core around Giordano, Bourque, Stajan and Bouwmeester (the last two merely because its unlikely anyone will them. If Stajan can be moved, he will be for anything possible. Bouwmeester won't be because while he is overpaid, he is still a good top 4 guy cabable of being a top 2 guy).

Guys like Kotalik, Tanguay, Jokinen, Hagman, Babchuck, Glencross, Morrison, Sarios, Sarich and Conroy will all be shopped for small prices.

Guys like Backlund, Moss, Pardy will be evaluated on whether or not they fit into the future and then traded (Backlund I realize is still young but they could package him with Kipper, Regehr or Iggy to get a better package).

Regehr, Iginla, Kiprusoff will be the big trade pieces. Although Giordano and Bourque are likely long term pieces, the old saying "even Gretzky was traded" applies. If the right price comes along (a large overpayment) they will be moved but thats unlikely.

Iginla will only be moved for a large price. Teams will pay a lot to get him. Ideally a prospect will return that could one day take his place (think Schenn). He will get a good return. He is on pace for his his 10th straight 30 goal season, and 74 points with almost no help. He isn't exactly old at 33, has only missed 12 games since the lockout and hasn't really slowed down (contrary to popular belief). He instantly brings leadership, playoff experience, and gamebreaking ability.

Kipper is one of the few goalies in the league that can single handily steal games night in and night out. He has been a consistent top 5 goalie since the lockout and can make any team a cup contender. Would be the premier goalie on the marker.

Obviously salaries will dull a return but not as much as some think. Calgary will be willing to take back some salary and many teams will be in on the bidding for both of the above players. The return won't be astronomical and it won't likely equal the value of the player but it will be good enough to make Flames fans happy.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
Flames fans gotta understand that their idea of Iginla's value is drastically inflated due to local media. The rest of the league doesn't put NEARLY as much stock in him, especially at his age and cap hit. You're gonna be lucky to get picks back, if that. Agreed that it's probably better to just hang on to the guy, 'cause he's worth a lot more to Calgary than to anyone else in the league.
Exactly. The 08-09 Avalanche are a good example of this. With a payroll at the cap max and being last in the West, rather than a wholesale trade frenzy for picks and prospects they just had to suck it up and let most of those contracts expire naturally. Of course they became good again immediately after that season, but that was more an unexpected fluke than anything. That and Colorado had always done a good job at drafting.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:29 PM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

vCash: 50
I would rather Iginla go out east. It would be easier on him and us.

BOSTON:
-Iginla
-4th

CALGARY:
-Colborne
-Salary Dump (Ryder + Ference?)
-1st (Toronto's)

CoRD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Beendair Donedat

Calgary is definitely looking for a rebuild, and here's a couple of options I think could possibly work:

Olli Jokinen: Traded to the Montreal Canadiens. Habs pick up a big center in exchange for Ben Maxwell and a fourth round draft pick. Jokinen benefits from a change of scenery and Maxwell gets to play in Calgary.

Buyout Daymond Langkow if he ever comes off Long Term Injury Reserve.

Entertain offers for Iginla. Not sure what could be offered for Iginla but it would have to be a solid roster player and at least two top prospects going the other way. Teams like the Kings, Habs, or whomever could put together a decent deal for Iginla. The problem with Iginla is the cap hit over the term.

Trade Regher: Biased here, but I'd like to see him end up in Montreal as well as they need a shutdown D-man. Trade the rights to Andrei Markov and give Calgary first crack at signing him before he's a UFA as he will be taking a pay cut after surgery, Yannik Weber, Lars Eller and a conditional pick.

Just a couple of scenarios. Thoughts?

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Calgary is definitely looking for a rebuild, and here's a couple of options I think could possibly work:

Olli Jokinen: Traded to the Montreal Canadiens. Habs pick up a big center in exchange for Ben Maxwell and a fourth round draft pick. Jokinen benefits from a change of scenery and Maxwell gets to play in Calgary.

Buyout Daymond Langkow if he ever comes off Long Term Injury Reserve.

Entertain offers for Iginla. Not sure what could be offered for Iginla but it would have to be a solid roster player and at least two top prospects going the other way. Teams like the Kings, Habs, or whomever could put together a decent deal for Iginla. The problem with Iginla is the cap hit over the term.

Trade Regher: Biased here, but I'd like to see him end up in Montreal as well as they need a shutdown D-man. Trade the rights to Andrei Markov and give Calgary first crack at signing him before he's a UFA as he will be taking a pay cut after surgery, Yannik Weber, Lars Eller and a conditional pick.

Just a couple of scenarios. Thoughts?
The first trade doesn't really help Calgary. I also don't see how Markov is part of a rebuild. Mostly these trades just make the Habs better.

Eller is the only half decent piece in there for the Flames and his game is not translating very well to the NHL right now.

Basically the Flames end up with a bunch of fringe NHLers (something they have an excess of already) and a fourth round pick.