Wild to make Fernandez an offer...

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2004, 06:30 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

vCash: 500
Wild to make Fernandez an offer...

Looks like the Wild are going to offer Manny a qualifying offer...Does this mean he won't be traded?

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4842336.html

Old
06-23-2004, 07:59 AM
ceber

I guess I expect a draft-day trade with us to not involve players on our side of the equation, so we'd need to qualify him anyway by the deadline. Probably have a hard time trading him without a contract, too. Don't most teams prefer to trade for a guy with a known deal? I guess the Comrie thing happened last season, and he didn't have a deal then.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:37 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I guess I expect a draft-day trade with us to not involve players on our side of the equation, so we'd need to qualify him anyway by the deadline. Probably have a hard time trading him without a contract, too. Don't most teams prefer to trade for a guy with a known deal? I guess the Comrie thing happened last season, and he didn't have a deal then.

good point. I've been in the "trade Manny" boat for sometime now. I hope this means that they are going to trade him. If they want to get anything back for him, they have to do it soon.

What happens if Manny chooses arbitration? If he does, i'm sure it wouldn't be resolved before Saturday. Does it make it harder to trade him?

*wishes it was Saturday!! :mad: *

Old
06-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Wild Bill

This is good, I think. With, virtually, no one ready to step in and back up Roli and the level of success found with the tandem thing, seems like a no-brainer to me.

I'm for the trade of Manny to get him some ice-time, but for the time being, last I checked, we do need a back-up...right?

Old
06-23-2004, 02:54 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Johan Holmqvist BB, I know a lot of people don't like him but to me he's a solid enough goaltender to warrent given a chance to play backup. There are many other goaltenders out there too.

Problem is where is Fernandez going?

Old
06-23-2004, 02:59 PM
DW

Not too surprising that DR has decided to qualify him. He has value and he's a pretty good backup right now. It looks like the Wild will do the wait and see with Manny for next season. A trade at the draft is still possible but I think we have to get something pretty good in DR's way of thinking to do so. I'm sure it will be another 1yr deal with the chance that after the new CBA gets done the age/requirements for UFA will change.

Old
06-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Wild Bill

Yeah, I guess you're right stoney...I just haven't seen anything of Holmquist to form a contradictory opinion, so...

I guess I just don't want to see Manny walk, for nothing in return...at least a 6th or 7th rounder...

Old
06-23-2004, 04:04 PM
ceber

Are compensatory picks given if an RFA goes to arbitration and the team refuses the awarded amount, turning the RFA into a UFA, who then signs with another team?

That'd be one way of getting a pick for Manny by letting him walk. Compensatory picks aren't much, but they're better than nothing.

I really don't think that's what's going to happen; I think either they find a trade or keep the tandem going. Just thought it might be a scenario, however unlikely.

Closed Thread