Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Jay Feaster's Track Record

Old
12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Jay Feaster's Track Record

So now that Jay's in charge what's going to happen? Is he going to be the patient type? Is he going to dive right in and make his mark?

If folks from Tampa are tuning in, what kind of track record does he have in terms of signings, trades, etc.?

Quick note to Mods: Given the content of this thread I assumed I could put that "speculation" in at the front of the title. Feel free to change it if I've got it wrong.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
He traded the 31st overall pick for Chris Gratton, traded 16th overall for Shane O'Brien.

I only want Feaster as an interim. Come next season, I want someone else in.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
He traded the 31st overall pick for Chris Gratton, traded 16th overall for Shane O'Brien.
Crap - I remember those trades. Those were ungood.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:56 PM
getoverit

crash and burn......start looking for a GM now King or you can go as well. Hell Im surprised KK is still here Guess Sutter looking for asst GM wasnt such a good thing afterall

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Devs4life

freddy modin for marc denis?

Devs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Feaster's a terrible drafter, trader and signer. So while it's nice to see Darryl go, having Feaster step in is a concern.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:50 PM
JuniorNelson

Feaster was announced as "interim", right? I would suggest that is very telling.

Feaster might GM until the end of the season, when the musical chairs begins.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Feaster's a terrible drafter, trader and signer. So while it's nice to see Darryl go, having Feaster step in is a concern.
yes...Feaster is horrible....not sure why they hired him. Hopefully he is really "interim"

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Posted this on the Lightning board, don't mean to come in and kill the mood because I know how excited I was when Feaster and Lawton were fired but since you asked...

He is a horrible drafter. I'm a draftnic and I challenge anybody to find me a GM/team who has produced less with more than Feaster. Of his 54 picks as GM of the Lightning only 3 are regular NHLers, drafting strictly from the CSB list would probably produce more results. What's worse is his drafting in the first two rounds...

2002 60th overall Adam Henrich 0 NHL games played.
2003 34th overall Mike Egener 0 NHL games played
2003 41th overall Matt Smaby 104 NHL games played, nothing more than an 7th defenseman.
2004 30th overall Andy Rogers 0 NHL games played
2004 65th overall Mark Tobin 0 NHL games played
2005 30th overall Vlad Mihalik 15 NHL games, bust
2006 15th overall Riku Helenius 1 NHL game played, bust
2007 47th overall Dana Tyrell Blind squirrel found his nut.

That's right, out of 8 first or second round picks he has a 7th defenseman and a 4th line winger to show for it.

Looking over his trade history there is only one definite win, the Fedotenko deal. Most are downright pathetic highlighted by Chris Gratton for the 31st overall pick or Shane O'Brien and a 3rd for the 16th overall pick.

He is a nice guy and from all accounts the players like him but for Calgary's sake I hope he is just an interim GM.

12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
He is a nice guy and from all accounts the players like him but for Calgary's sake I hope he is just an interim GM.

That's what I'm hoping.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM
tfong

Which lightning gm acquired Vinny and msl?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Which lightning gm acquired Vinny and msl?
Esposito acquired Lecavalier, Dudley acquired Marty.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Actually I believe his contracts are OK, it's his drafting and trading that needs work... the problem is, I don't think he has an anxious trigger finger (being a lawyer he has to have SOME patience) but he'll feel the pressure soon enough to delve into the market... and then we'll have to see.

Watched his video on the press release... I feel bad for him but he spoke with some confidence.

Time will tell.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Here's a detailed breakdown of Tampa Bay's Stanley Cup winning roster.

As you can see, Feaster's influence was minimal at best with his only key acquisition being Fedetenko.

Also, here's his draft record in full. Feaster was the full time GM from 2002 until 2008. A lot of busts there.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Makes Sutter's draft history seem brilliant in comparison.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Makes Sutter's draft history seem brilliant in comparison.

Ergo wanting Feaster as a temporary fix and not permanent GM

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
yes...Feaster is horrible....not sure why they hired him. Hopefully he is really "interim"
He's a good legal mind I'm sure, something that Sutter was lacking. But the guy just tweaked a Lightning team that already had its pieces together and subsequently drove it into the ground right after.

Lecavalier's contract is a worse than any contract Sutter has given out and the other huge contracts meant the team had to lose Brad Richards and Dan Boyle for practically nothing. And then there's that draft record. If you have a noticeably worse draft history than the Flames, you're pretty bad. It means that in all those years not only was the GM a poor evaluator of talent, but all the people he put in place were crap as well. I'd rather sign Dutter to a long term extension rather than make a downgrade in a GM.

I don't mind Feaster as an assistant GM to be the legal man but even then I'm somewhat apprehensive, but anybody who wants him as permanent GM is out to lunch.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM
bigchief12

Here are a few links to Blogs Feaster wrote for THN. Some insight into what might govern his moves. He talks about NTC/NMC, Jokinen and some of his past moves.

http://www.thehockey...-the-draft.html
http://www.thehockey...as-a-Flame.html
http://www.thehockey...trade-time.html
http://www.thehockey...ade-clause.html

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Apparently he is good at the business side of being a GM and not so much the hockey side (trading, signing, drafting, etc.). I hope he does not stay long and I hope the next GM we get is much better than Sutter. Although his last few seasons were not good, he still did many great things for this team.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Lets be honest, Sutter could of easily been fired at the end of last season and no one would of been surprised. I honestly believe King already knew that if this team didn't turn it around early on this season that Sutter's remaining days with the organization would of been few. I think that was a large reason for the hiring of Feaster, although King would of never publicly stated as such. But think about it, it makes a lot of sense. If Sutter would of been let go during the season (which happened), Feaster is a competent guy to step in and take over GM duties for the remainder of the season. I am not saying this is the only reason he was hired, because it was evident that Sutter needed some help and a different take on things, but I do think this was part of his hiring.

It sounds as though from statements made from the team, that Feaster is the "acting" GM until seasons end. That to me says its a interm basis and could be extended depending on how he does.

I like Feaster, and hope he remains with the team. But I really hope to hell he does not remain our permanent GM. I honestly would rather have Sutter back over him. There is no chance that Nill will be our next GM, him and Holland just signed 5 year extensions in Detroit and it sounds as though he is there to take over from Holland at some point. And I do not want Hitchcock either. I think Fenton or Maguire will get some consideration. Here's another name just to throw out there, how about Al MacInnis? He has been working in the Blues front office for sometime and it would be a great PR move in the community here in Calgary to bring him back. He knows the city well, is a good hockey mind and would have the necessary experience for the job.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Lets be honest, Sutter could of easily been fired at the end of last season and no one would of been surprised. I honestly believe King already knew that if this team didn't turn it around early on this season that Sutter's remaining days with the organization would of been few. I think that was a large reason for the hiring of Feaster, although King would of never publicly stated as such. But think about it, it makes a lot of sense. If Sutter would of been let go during the season (which happened), Feaster is a competent guy to step in and take over GM duties for the remainder of the season. I am not saying this is the only reason he was hired, because it was evident that Sutter needed some help and a different take on things, but I do think this was part of his hiring.

It sounds as though from statements made from the team, that Feaster is the "acting" GM until seasons end. That to me says its a interm basis and could be extended depending on how he does.

I like Feaster, and hope he remains with the team. But I really hope to hell he does not remain our permanent GM. I honestly would rather have Sutter back over him. There is no chance that Nill will be our next GM, him and Holland just signed 5 year extensions in Detroit and it sounds as though he is there to take over from Holland at some point. And I do not want Hitchcock either. I think Fenton or Maguire will get some consideration. Here's another name just to throw out there, how about Al MacInnis? He has been working in the Blues front office for sometime and it would be a great PR move in the community here in Calgary to bring him back. He knows the city well, is a good hockey mind and would have the necessary experience for the job.
Hmm I'm not sure how well MacInnis would do as GM but I think if we were going to hire McGuire it would be as scout/head scout.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Eight View Post
Hmm I'm not sure how well MacInnis would do as GM but I think if we were going to hire McGuire it would be as scout/head scout.
Yeah I am not as sold as some others are on here about having Maguire as our GM. I am not sure what to think about him. I think he would do alright, but I'm just not totally sold on the idea of it yet. I think he would definitely bring in some much needed youth into the organization, my main concern with him is would he be able to put together a championship caliber team in a few years and would he be able to lure high profile FA's here. Also, would he hand out "monster" contracts lol? I think Maguire would be an asset for sure, I'm just not sure in what capacity. His knowledge of prospects would be invaluable, and second to none I'm sure. Maybe a combination of him as GM and Feaster remaining as the assistant would be a good one.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote