HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vincent Lecavalier

Old
12-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Vincent Lecavalier

I was wondering, are we, Habs fans, still that high on getting Vincent Lecavalier too Montreal compared to last year? I remember rumors were bombarded from everywhere and at the ASG, we could have thought he was a Canadien haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtA3veBcD1k

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
le_sean

No, he's clearly not as productive as before, his wrist is mangled. He's also signed to the worst contract in the league, if you consider the length.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
tinyzombies

I can't imagine us doing that deal without unloading Gomez. But that would cost us big time.

I'm sure Vinny would roid up again for a couple years for us, but his contract never ends.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'd be high on getting him if Tampa Bay bought out his contract then he signed here for cheaper, or perhaps even a 1 for 1 swap with Gomez. Obviously we force Lecavalier to retire earlier than 2020 though. With the cap ever-going up though, I wouldn't mind getting him for cheaper. A big centre who the fans adore would can only do good for the team morale.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:48 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I can't imagine us doing that deal without unloading Gomez. But that would cost us big time.

I'm sure Vinny would roid up again for a couple years for us, but his contract never ends.
What's the point? Keep Gomez and use his money to sign a UFA Malkin in 2015.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I'd be high on getting him if Tampa Bay bought out his contract then he signed here for cheaper, or perhaps even a 1 for 1 swap with Gomez. Obviously we force Lecavalier to retire earlier than 2020 though. With the cap ever-going up though, I wouldn't mind getting him for cheaper. A big centre who the fans adore would can only do good for the team morale.
I wouldn't do it until some of our big skill wingers develop. He'd have nobody to play with and would have to do all the dirty work himself. That would wear thin quickly with Vinny.

Old
12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I wouldn't do it until some of our big skill wingers develop. He'd have nobody to play with and would have to do all the dirty work himself. That would wear thin quickly with Vinny.
I don't know, but it seems that Jacques Martin doesn't play Pouliot as he should. Playing him in a bottom 6 role isn't gonna help him. Imagine Pouliot next to Lecavalier. Pouliot has hands and speed. With a guy like Lecavalier, he should develop more offensively. Anyways, Lecavalier's contract is killing everybody and that's all because of those 2 clowns (Barrie and Koules) and their GM Lawton.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I don't know, but it seems that Jacques Martin doesn't play Pouliot as he should. Playing him in a bottom 6 role isn't gonna help him. Imagine Pouliot next to Lecavalier. Pouliot has hands and speed. With a guy like Lecavalier, he should develop more offensively. Anyways, Lecavalier's contract is killing everybody and that's all because of those 2 clowns (Barrie and Koules) and their GM Lawton.
I have a feeling JM is thinking about how Pouliot wore down in the playoffs and is pacing him a bit more this year. I don't mind Pouliot with Eller at all. Those two need time in a smaller role so that their bodies get up to speed and they get used to the pace (what do I know, but that's what I assume).

I don't think there's any doubt that this is a playoff team. No use burning the candle at both ends. JM is gearing for another playoff run imo.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:03 PM
TheBuriedHab

The day we got Gomez, was the day all the Vinny talk should have ended. Montreal already has some big cap numbers, adding Vinnys 7.7 for like 9 more years would be dumb. I don't want him here.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
The day we got Gomez, was the day all the Vinny talk should have ended. Montreal already has some big cap numbers, adding Vinnys 7.7 for like 9 more years would be dumb. I don't want him here.
Eh. Habs are one of the richest teams in the league, the cap isn't an issue to us as much as a lesser team with a non-rabid fan base. It's not like we have an abundance of 35+ contracts, only one in fact. If we really need to we can bury contracts in the minors or something. Also so far next year we're only spending a little over half of where the cap will be, with only a few re-signs to do, none of which will be major increases.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I'd rather have Gomez, whose deal is expiring in the near future, rather than a declining Lecavalier locked in for almost another decade at ridiculous money.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:13 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Eh. Habs are one of the richest teams in the league, the cap isn't an issue to us as much as a lesser team with a non-rabid fan base. It's not like we have an abundance of 35+ contracts, only one in fact. If we really need to we can bury contracts in the minors or something. Also so far next year we're only spending a little over half of where the cap will be, with only a few re-signs to do, none of which will be major increases.
We can't afford to give up assets for Vinny, bottom line. We need some of these guys to pan out. Of course, I don't personally know any of them, but it seems that we have several big guys with skill who we should continue to develop and not give up on.

But, like you say, if we want to take a risk that Vinny will roid and hustle in Montreal, we could always dump Gomez for a low pick and trade a high pick for Vincent.

Not sure I'm sold on the idea longterm either, but it would be a big upgrade on Gomez (assuming Vinny gets fired up about playing in Montreal. I hear he loves Florida and might be miserable here).

Malkin's gonna sign with the Rangers anyway.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I'd rather have Richards than Vinny but I'm okay with getting rid of Gomez even if we don't get either of them.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Habs

He would become a 30pt player under Martin, so no thanks.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I was wondering, are we, Habs fans, still that high on getting Vincent Lecavalier too Montreal compared to last year? I remember rumors were bombarded from everywhere and at the ASG, we could have thought he was a Canadien haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtA3veBcD1k
The only way I see that happening is if they give us a sweet deal hockey-wise in order to move his contract, which would include taking Gomez(who will make 17.5 mil the next 3 years versus 60 mil over 6 years). Maybe Gomez 1st plus Kristo for Lecavalier and Malone. That would free up cash to extend Stamkos and Hedman.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm glad my fellow board members are not positive about acquiring Lecavalier for all the right reasons they cited: his physical state, his declining productivity, and his contract. If we all agree we consider Gomez's contract to be a burden, we would feel crushed by Lecavalier's. I don't waant the Habs to start resembling the Devils.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Miller Time

i was in favor of getting Lecavalier (only if we moved Gomez, of course), but I also thought that he'd bounce back this year and once again establish himself as a top 10 player in the league...

hasn't happened.

perhaps the injuries really have taken their toll, or perhaps he hasn't been as diligent with his rehab/conditioning as he needed to be to regain his status as a premier player in the NHL.

at this point, I'd still rather Lecavalier over Gomez any day of the week, but given how long his deal is, it would be a mistake.

funny though, some of the same posters who defend Gomez saying that we should ignore his contract, are the same that say no to Lecavalier because of his contract???

bottom line is that the cap era means teams have to be smart with their spending, and unless Lecavalier could realistically give us at least 3-4 seasons of 80-90pts, the length of his deal makes him a no.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
sammy d

In reply to mattkopw. of course the cap is an issue, we're already near the top of the cap, you can't spend over the cap, doesn't matter how much profit the team is making.

And no Vinny please, his numbers are declining, his contract is horrendous, want to be New Jersey 2.0?? He'll never be a top player in this league again.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Nope, believe it or not we are better off keeping Gomez, at least he is gone in 3 years and we got $ to spend on the FA market

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 12-30-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:33 PM
smon

It's a bit amusing that despite the best efforts of the fans, the media, and most of all management, the Habs ended up dodging a bullet in not getting Lecavalier. Plekanec, Price/Halak ++ for him would have probably not been a great deal with the benefit of hindsight.

I wouldn't mind swapping Gomez for him though. I would think that a change of scenery would benefit him. Still, I freely admit it's a risky move. Huge risk to take on in that contract, far bigger than that left with Gomez.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Frankenheimer

Vinny would be a huge upgrade over Gomez. If it was possible to renegotiate his contract to a shorter term, I would do it. It's really hard to ignore Gomez's contract. At least with Vinny, you're getting someone huge with skill and upside.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:48 PM
sammy d

Vinnies gone from:

102, 98,67, 70 points.

52,40,29,24 goals.

His upside now at best is 25 goals, 70 points.

Not worth the contract as his numbers will not get any better.

Gomez points have been 60,70,58,59.

So Vinnie has slightly better numbers the past 2 years but his contract runs for how many years? At least we can get rid of Gomez in 2-3 more years whereas we'll still have Vinnie at 37, 38, 39 potting 40 points a year at how many millions?

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Vinny would be a huge upgrade over Gomez.
This.

He's definitly not worth all that money but neither is Gomez and Vinny is a far better and more complete player IMO. I'd still love to see him in a Habs jersey and that probably won't ever change.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:24 AM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
Not only is he never gonna come here, he isnt worth it anymore. His contract looks huge and I don`t see an elite skill in him anymore, he doesn`t posses excellent skating or playmaking-shooting skills.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:04 AM
RC51

Look we all wanted to believe that one of our own would jump at the chance to lead the Hab. Fact in Vinny loves it in Palm trees and golf. He had the chance and at the very last minute HE refused to come to the Habs in that trade. He turned his back and walked away from this trade. He has it easy in Tampa. Great money, nice life, only a few know who he is. Anybody thinking that Vinny was going to come back to his roots, his people, his country was sadly mistaken. You have to live with your decisions and he chose his comfort over his people. Tampa can keep him now, I don't want a guy that walks away from his own like this. If your in a foxhole this is NOT the guy you want at your back.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote