HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Murphy

Old
12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

vCash: 500
Ryan Murphy

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2008-09 Villanova Knights OJHL 4 4 2 6 0
2009-10 Kitchener Rangers OHL 62 6 33 39 22 20 5 12 17 16
2010-11 Kitchener Rangers OHL 31 15 33 48 14

If we are in the same position at the end of the season we could be picking this kid. We can finally get our pp going with an offensive defencemen, but he also has defensive ability. One comparison is a Drew DOughty/Ryan Whitney comparison. Probably wont turn out into a Doughty but could be close. He is ripping up the Ohl.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:40 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

added info

5-10 160pound d-man

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

He's not an Oil prospect. There are multiple threads to discuss this. I don't see a real case here. You love making new threads don't you? Search around. There was a poll involving him already. Brian Campbell upside. Not Drew Doughty.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
added info

5-10 160pound d-man
forget it. I'm sick of guys under 6'. Unless he is a sure thing, cant' miss, star (like a Kane) this team does not need another shrimp. its a big man's league. We have, what, 6 guys around the 5'10" range? can't get ride of 2 of em (cogs and brule) because they're too small. and we only want to move them to make room for another small guy (omark).

no more shrimps for a while. (unless its me!!! 5'9', 185lb)

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Dont you have something better to do than be a jerk? Jeez take it easy i'm just trying to express what i think about Murphy potentially being an Oiler. So what if it is on other boards. I want Oiler Fans to see it. Not everybody explores every single board. I sure don't. I don't want to hear about your issues with me. go discuss your problems with your mother or something. Not with me

Old
12-29-2010, 09:17 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan14 View Post
Dont you have something better to do than be a jerk? Jeez take it easy i'm just trying to express what i think about Murphy potentially being an Oiler. So what if it is on other boards. I want Oiler Fans to see it. Not everybody explores every single board. I sure don't. I don't want to hear about your issues with me. go discuss your problems with your mother or something. Not with me
I think the point he is making is we have a thread ALL ABOUT the 2011 draft and this thread belongs there

I did a little research on the kid and it looks like he is predicted to be a 3rd rounder--it looks like there is grave concern about his filling out for his position

does a 3rd rounder deserve a thread?

Old
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
I think the point he is making is we have a thread ALL ABOUT the 2011 draft and this thread belongs there

I did a little research on the kid and it looks like he is predicted to be a 3rd rounder--it looks like there is grave concern about his filling out for his position

Thanks. He's a top ten selection at thie years draft. Or at least he has the potential too. Like you said we have a thread on this board and not a different board for this. Much like a previous thread made by Oilfan about Oil prospects. Take a look kid. Sheesh.

Come draft time and we know our selection I think then you will have an opportunity to make a case if we are in contention to use our selection on him. The way the injuries are accumulating he might just be an after thought.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:36 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Well Mr. Bugg has him top 5 here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=783583. And I think Cherry is on the record saying he should go 1st. He may be small but he's supposed to be a great skater with fantastic offensive skills, vision, and hockey sense. Rafalski and Visnovsky both fit that description too and I'd be fine with adding a guy like that to play with Whitney as our top pairing.

But I would take Larsson, Couturier, RNH and probably Landeskog over him.

And to OilersFan14, I get that you want to talk about us drafting this kid, but there is a thread set up to discuss exactly that question, which I linked to above. Unless the prospect does something spectacular that is worth drawing note from the entirety of HFOil, it's usually best to just add your 2 cents to the existing thread created for that purpose. It helps reduce the clutter

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:

I'm not sure where you did your research but right now he is a top 10 pick, many see him going top 5.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:48 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

look for him to drop in the draft and people will ask why

A scouting site that I go to questions his height of 5-10--they say he is a tad under 5-10 and at 17 they think he might grow one more inch--but the greater concern is him filling out and not effecting his game

as stated we have a thread all about the 2011 draft

Old
12-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
look for him to drop in the draft and people will ask why

A scouting site that I go to questions his height of 5-10--they say he is a tad under 5-10 and at 17 they think he might grow one more inch--but the greater concern is him filling out and not effecting his game

as stated we have a thread all about the 2011 draft
I agree with him potentially dropping in selection. Very much like cam Fowler at last years draft. Cherry is wrong for once in projecting him to go first. His homer bias' finally got the best of him.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
forget it. I'm sick of guys under 6'. Unless he is a sure thing, cant' miss, star (like a Kane) this team does not need another shrimp. its a big man's league. We have, what, 6 guys around the 5'10" range? can't get ride of 2 of em (cogs and brule) because they're too small. and we only want to move them to make room for another small guy (omark).

no more shrimps for a while. (unless its me!!! 5'9', 185lb)
Who says Ryan Murphy isn't a can't miss star? The guy might score 30 goals if he gets hot enough.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Look at Ryan Ellis, he is not the tallest tree in the forest but He has a whole bunch of honours

Old
12-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan14 View Post
Look at Ryan Ellis, he is not the tallest tree in the forest but He has a whole bunch of honours
So is Bobby Orr.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
So is Bobby Orr.
Yeaaaaah

Anyways I kind of get the feeling people are worrying about size too much. Skill trumps all of that. Look at all the young players coming in and making an impact,. Skinner, Giroux, Eberle, Stamkos I mean size is not everything guys like Nilsson and Cogliano and O'Sullivan we're just not that good if we get an opportunity to draft a player as dynamic as Ryan Murphy the oilers would be foolish to let it pass by. Imo thats a decision that could turn out worse than not drafting Parise and Parise had a Hart trophy type season. Ryan Murphy is a game changer on offense.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Yeaaaaah

Anyways I kind of get the feeling people are worrying about size too much. Skill trumps all of that. Look at all the young players coming in and making an impact,. Skinner, Giroux, Eberle, Stamkos I mean size is not everything guys like Nilsson and Cogliano and O'Sullivan we're just not that good if we get an opportunity to draft a player as dynamic as Ryan Murphy the oilers would be foolish to let it pass by. Imo thats a decision that could turn out worse than not drafting Parise and Parise had a Hart trophy type season. Ryan Murphy is a game changer on offense.
I agree. Just because he might get overlooked because of current scouting priorities doesn't mean that he doesn't have an elite level skill set. Size tends to be a priority in projecting a lot of players. Skill in the case of the Eberle's, Ellis' tends to get passed up for later selection. I am quite fond of Murphy personally. Let's just wait and see where we select first. Until than I don't see the sense in a thread of its own. Unless it is designated for skill vs. size debate.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't want Edmonton drafting a guy who's smaller than a freakin twig.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I don't want Edmonton drafting a guy who's smaller than a freakin twig.
that must be one freakin big twig

Old
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
3 Players to target

Sean Couturier,Adam Larsson,Gabriel Landeskog.

Please not Ryan Murphy 5 10 160 pounds

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:00 AM
rockinghockey

He is not going to get 30 goals in the NHL how many dmen do that. Plus I agree with a lot of people that he is just way too small. I don't want a Bergeron on this team. Siemens or Hamilton.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Yeaaaaah

that's fine and dandy if the rest of the team are men. but 6 of our guys would be small on a triple A midget team.

If he's that good, ok, take him and with Eberle, that's enough shrimps. we would then have to get rid of Cogs, Brule, Omark or Gagner, or both.

the majority of the lineup must be over 6' and tough. and those under 6' must be a point producer (no less than 20 goals and 60 points) or an agitator/checker (think Todd Marchant).

Old
12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Up the Irons

'I don't want a Bergeron on this team.'

thank you. perfect example

Old
12-30-2010, 12:08 AM
ales83fan

I would prefer Larsson, or Couturier.....after that not sure. No one stands out more than the rest.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:13 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
'I don't want a Bergeron on this team.'

thank you. perfect example
If we're going to play the extremes game, there's as much evidence Murphy becomes Ray Bourque as there is he becomes MA Bergeron.

Bourque, Draft Year: 63 GP, 22-71-93
Murphy, Draft Year: 32 GP, 16-33-49 (on pace for 32-66-98 in 64 GP)

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
If we're going to play the extremes game, there's as much evidence Murphy becomes Ray Bourque as there is he becomes MA Bergeron.

Bourque, Draft Year: 63 GP, 22-71-93
Murphy, Draft Year: 32 GP, 16-33-49 (on pace for 32-66-98 in 64 GP)
SOLD!

I say we draft this guy.

Off topic, but what do you think of Ellis?

I'm not so sure his game will translate into the NHL, but he reminds me of a smaller Mike Green.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote