HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Murphy

Old
12-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
If we're going to play the extremes game, there's as much evidence Murphy becomes Ray Bourque as there is he becomes MA Bergeron.

Bourque, Draft Year: 63 GP, 22-71-93
Murphy, Draft Year: 32 GP, 16-33-49 (on pace for 32-66-98 in 64 GP)
fair enough. Its not so much Murphy himself. Its this franchise's obsession with the nifty little speedster (thank god the Lowe/Pendergast days are over or they'd draft him for sure). Of course they stand out at the under-17 championships or the Russia-Canada under-18 series (Gagner), small guys bloom early (remember Marty Murray). Gagner was a 6th overall!!!! he's pretty good, but you gotta figure they were hoping for a first-line, point-a-game player and the only reason he isn't is his size.

Your right, I am jaded towards the small player. but, how many more times are we gonna go back to the same trough and strike out? Eberle was a good pick at 22, but to use a 4th pick on a 5'10' defense is toooo big a risk. you have to a real player at 4th. Murphy has late first round - second round writen all over him.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Andrew B

vCash: 500
Ryan Murphy is a near enough comparison to Ryan Ellis.

You examine Ellis, he had superior production in his rookie year, will have slightly better production in his 2nd, played for the WJC at 17, and was a big part in that gold medal win.

Murphy will have nothing on Ellis by the time the draft rolls around. His being selected in the top-10, some say top-5 only legitimizes how weak the talent, outside of a few, really is in this years draft.

The Oilers didn't choose Ellis in '09, that is even more telling that there is no way we select him unless we finish so far down the draft order, that he is far and away the best available player.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:30 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
fGagner was a 6th overall!!!! he's pretty good, but you gotta figure they were hoping for a first-line, point-a-game player and the only reason he isn't is his size.
I'm sure that's what management was hoping for, but nobody got a #1 center in 2007- at least not yet:

Kyle Turris (3rd overall)- Has a whopping nine points this year.

Zach Hamill (8th overall)- Scoring at a 0.5 PPG pace... in the AHL.

Logan Couture (9th overall)- Paying off now, but there would have been mutiny had he been selected not produced before now. As it is, is a very similar player to Gagner- not overly big, not overly fast.

Brandon Sutter (11th overall)- Great glue player, will be in the NHL a long time, but not a first-line player... and not really a 2nd line one either.

Lars Eller (13th overall)- Just breaking into the league. Could be something special, could be a top-six tweener. Gagner is better now.

Angelo Esposito (20th overall)- Five points in the AHL. Probably done as a legitimate prospect.

Riley Nash (21st overall)- We all know about him.

Mikael Backlund (24th overall)- I called it. Jani Rita 2.0.

Patrick White (25th overall)- 1 goal in the NCAA.

Jim O'Brien (29th overall)- Will be a solid #3 center one day.

The Oilers not only got a top-six center from 2007, they got the BEST center. The scouting staff can be perhaps be faulted for questionable first round picks in other (re: pre-MacGregor) seasons, but they were dealt two pair that year and won with it.

Quote:
Murphy has late first round - second round writen all over him.
Although Cam Fowler's fall in 2010 indicates there is a possibility that anything could and does happen on draft day, I feel safe saying Murphy is a lock to go in the top five.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:47 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
'I don't want a Bergeron on this team.'

thank you. perfect example
Not really. MAB had 35 points in his draft year. Murphy is on pace for over 100.

And we are currently witnessing what big, slow, untalented defenceman get you: the worst GAA in the league. Maybe a smaller, smarter, talented guy would be useful.

And although we have "too many shrimps", that's not true on defence. I think if he's really the BPA available we shouldn't avoid taking him.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
'I don't want a Bergeron on this team.'

thank you. perfect example
Nope, terrible example.
Quote:
that's fine and dandy if the rest of the team are men. but 6 of our guys would be small on a triple A midget team.

If he's that good, ok, take him and with Eberle, that's enough shrimps. we would then have to get rid of Cogs, Brule, Omark or Gagner, or both.

the majority of the lineup must be over 6' and tough. and those under 6' must be a point producer (no less than 20 goals and 60 points) or an agitator/checker (think Todd Marchant).
Ummm pretty much every defenseman in the organization (prospects included) is over 6'2. I think we can afford to draft a small defenseman.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Bergeron is just plain horrible. Murphy has put up more points than Landeskog and he is a defense men

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Beatle17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
So is Bobby Orr.
Orr played in an era where 6'1" 200 lbs. was considered huge. Players today are bigger and faster and unless this kids talent is so far superior to his competition then I would personally take a pass on a player who is 3-4" shorter and 40 lbs lighter than the average player.

Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I would take him in a heart beat. I have said so many times, it almost gets to the point of being sickining, people over rate Size. This kid will round out to be 5-11 190. That is fine with me. HE will be a offensive dynamo.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Orr played in an era where 6'1" 200 lbs. was considered huge. Players today are bigger and faster and unless this kids talent is so far superior to his competition then I would personally take a pass on a player who is 3-4" shorter and 40 lbs lighter than the average player.
Like Sidney Crosby, St louis, Datsyuk?

Old
12-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Bobby Orr was not a small player anyways. Scott Niedermayer is 6'0(he's not really 6'0) and he's a hofer. Murphy has a skillset you see out of very few players theres no reason to pass on him because of size. Especially when we don't have a single small defenseman on the team or in junior or in the AHL. Unless you count Chorney but he's gone as soon as his contract expires.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Cerebral

Murphy is certainly a guy to consider if we end up drafting around 5. I wouldn't take him over Couturier or Larsson but after that it's pretty open in my view. Nugent-Hopkins, Murphy and Landeskog are all pretty close in my eyes and they all provide something different. Given the size of the young defencemen we currently have (Plante, Petry, Marincin), I wouldn't be too concerned about taking a smaller defenceman.

If it came down to a choice between Strome, Landeskog and a few of the other guys projected to be there around 3-8, I'd have a tough time turning down Murphy.

12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

First of all, I think this is threadworthy. The prospect info gets buried in one thread, and not read. It was made at a time when we thought we would finish last.

Obviously we will be picking 3 to 7, and I think we should realistically consider who is available in that range.

Wingers will be out, Larson and Coutrier will be off the board already. It will be down to RNH, Murphy, and another large Dman.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:53 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
First of all, I think this is threadworthy. The prospect info gets buried in one thread, and not read. It was made at a time when we thought we would finish last.

Obviously we will be picking 3 to 7, and I think we should realistically consider who is available in that range.

Wingers will be out, Larson and Coutrier will be off the board already. It will be down to RNH, Murphy, and another large Dman.
I would say 1-7. Last I checked the Islanders were 4 points behind us. We have one good advantage of playing in the West. THe Islanders, Pathers, Devils, Maple leafs and Sabres all get to play each other and some one needs to get points. Mean while the Flames are going to be more motivated. Also It hinkt he Devils will get better, no way they are this bad.

I stil think we could finish dead last again. No higher then 7.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I would say 1-7. Last I checked the Islanders were 4 points behind us. We have one good advantage of playing in the West. THe Islanders, Pathers, Devils, Maple leafs and Sabres all get to play each other and some one needs to get points. Mean while the Flames are going to be more motivated. Also It hinkt he Devils will get better, no way they are this bad.

I stil think we could finish dead last again. No higher then 7.
Yup, one brutal month and we're in the basement with New Jersey.